The most perplexing move/non-move of the offseason

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews still on the books to be paid 15 million after a 24 tackle 5 sack season. Why? The absolute 1st move that needed to be made this season was restructure or take a walk. There is simply no way in hell this guy should be getting paid this much. What a colossal waste of money and the defense is worse for it because as usual, do nothing teddy is once again ignoring glaring defensive deficiencies while massively overpaying an injury prone, washed up, steroid user.

Okay the steroid user part is pure conjecture from a frustrated fan but I think you get my point. Am I the only one that thinks this is literally the dumbest thing TT has ever done?

And yes I know this could still happen but what is even the point now unless there is a blockbuster trade for a top corner.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've given my thoughts before, but considering the state of the olbs right now, and the injury he had with his shoulder, I didn't think there was much question he'd be playing again this season.

It's not to say he hasn't under performed 2 seasons running it seems, but I expected them to give him an opportunity to earn it again considering his willingness to change positions and then playing with a shoulder apparently in need of surgery.

I think roster wise and cap wise it makes most sense to see what he has this year and make the cut next year if he can't recapture some of his former self.

Ideally I would love to have him restructure or be able to cut him and have a capable replacement, but I don't think they had any leverage to force a renegotiation, and cutting right now doesn't make a lot of sense.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah theres no way you can cut clay matthews when healthy he's still the most feared player on the defense without matthews the packers defense would be headed even further in the wrong direction

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been pretty pleased with the results of this off-season on the whole actually. The only thing I kind of question is letting both Lang and Tretter walk. Still kind of holding out hope for a little runningback help though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah should have kept one of them, I'd say tretter but then again seems like he's injured a lot but would still feel better if he was penciled in to start at guard

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've given my thoughts before, but considering the state of the olbs right now, and the injury he had with his shoulder, I didn't think there was much question he'd be playing again this season.

It's not to say he hasn't under performed 2 seasons running it seems, but I expected them to give him an opportunity to earn it again considering his willingness to change positions and then playing with a shoulder apparently in need of surgery.

I think roster wise and cap wise it makes most sense to see what he has this year and make the cut next year if he can't recapture some of his former self.

Ideally I would love to have him restructure or be able to cut him and have a capable replacement, but I don't think they had any leverage to force a renegotiation, and cutting right now doesn't make a lot of sense.

Getting the extra 10 million by cutting him and getting cornerback help would have been the wiser move in my opinion. As it stands now all the hopes of our defense are based on they were bad because of injuries. Risky proposition if you ask me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Tretter a lot. But was unlucky with injuries? Or is he injury prone? I couldn't commit starter money considering his history and current state when he last "played" for the Packers

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting the extra 10 million by cutting him and getting cornerback help would have been the wiser move in my opinion. As it stands now all the hopes of our defense are based on they were bad because of injuries. Risky proposition if you ask me.
IF there was a cb they thought was worth it, it may have been considered. I'm not sure there was.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF there was a cb they thought was worth it, it may have been considered. I'm not sure there was.
The problem is there is apparently never anyone worth it in ted's eyes. And I am not trying to make this a TT bashing thread but I believe he has made a very big mistake this year by not going after one of the to cb's. I want to trust in ted but after watching him continually ignore glaring deficiencies on this defense year after year, my faith is dwindling and is near zero.

This defense needs help very badly and there is basically non left to get so now we have to hope guys like Randall, Clay and Rollins improve 200% over last years performances which is highly unlikely.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carr could have been had. I can go on and on, it doesn't take rocket science to realize that our secondary needs major help. This lack of action points to arrogance and mark murphy being asleep at the wheel. yes men are us.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah should have kept one of them, I'd say tretter but then again seems like he's injured a lot but would still feel better if he was penciled in to start at guard
When did Tretter EVER play guard? Especially good enough for starter $$$$. He might have taken a few snaps there but if so I'm drawing a blank on it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Hyde walk is more bewildering than Clay staying imo.
Letting Hyde walk for 2 million a year would have been bewildering. Letting him walk at almost 7 million per year was a no brainer. I really liked the guy, he's a football player, but he's limited physically. he's smart, hard worker, great guy. A guy you want to fill your team out with, but he's not a guy you invest that much money in.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Hyde walk for 2 million a year would have been bewildering. Letting him walk at almost 7 million per year was a no brainer. I really liked the guy, he's a football player, but he's limited physically. he's smart, hard worker, great guy. A guy you want to fill your team out with, but he's not a guy you invest that much money in.
In a normal situation, yes. But the status of our CBs leaves not much room for options. He's good, versatile and effective to an extent. Don't think we'd get anybody equally good or better for that or cheaper.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a normal situation, yes. But the status of our CBs leaves not much room for options. He's good, versatile and effective to an extent. Don't think we'd get anybody equally good or better for that or cheaper.
I think we have options though. I think we're going to see more of the 3 safety look with Burnett being better than Hyde in most everything he does, and putting a faster and harder hitting Brice back to roam with Ha Ha. I might be smoking something, but I think this kid is going to go places.

but if Hyde were already under contract, i think they would have kept him even at an inflated number, but having to commit to it now made him expendable.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm giving Clay one more shot. He was clearly banged up last year and still had some impact plays. The sack fumble in the Giants game was a dagger.

Also, if we gave him up this offseason, our pass rush would possibly be even worse than our CB's.....

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah theres no way you can cut clay matthews when healthy he's still the most feared player on the defense without matthews the packers defense would be headed even further in the wrong direction

If Matthews is still the most feared player on the Packers defense after his performance last season that tells you a lot about the state of the unit and is pretty disappointing.

I've been pretty pleased with the results of this off-season on the whole actually. The only thing I kind of question is letting both Lang and Tretter walk. Still kind of holding out hope for a little runningback help though.

There's absolutely no reason to be pleased with the moves that have been made on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm getting tired of that excuse. There's absolutely no doubt there were several cornerbacks available in free agency presenting a significant upgrade over the players currently on the Packers roster.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand how we can go into the season with two often injured outside linebackers as starters, an enormous lack of depth at corner, and no pure running back.

I mean, we had a lot of trouble rushing the quarterback last year which left our corners out to dry and they weren't amazing to begin with. Now we lack another veteran pass rusher with substantial leadership qualities in Peppers that we could have at least tried to replace with Barwin. He was cheap enough, never had an injury history, and has always been considered a team leader in the locker room.

Now we go into the draft with lack of depth in at least two key positions on defense and expect rookies to come in and step it up. When was the last time we drafted rookies on the defensive side of the ball and they came in to make an immediate impact on this team?

It's really just a matter of time before Clay and/or Perry get hurt this season, then who do we have to rush the passer? Clearly we need a talented pass rusher and a potential #1 corner. You're telling me we're going to nail the first two picks and get Pro Bowl players at both positions? Players that can come in and learn Dom's complicated schemes?

That's not even beginning to address the fact that we now have a lack of depth on the O-line. Lang was a pretty big loss, but who knows how well he would have played after the surgery and there's no way we were going to pay that much to keep him. So who plays guard now? I'm just seeing a bunch of tall, somewhat lanky guys that don't really fit the position. So are we drafting a shorter tackle to move to guard? Yet another question mark.

Finally, let's not forget we really don't have a running back capable of running up the middle for a full season, unless your going to give that duty to Rip. I know we're going to draft a running back, but these holes are adding up. Somehow, we're supposed to fill all these positions in the draft and it doesn't appear that likely. Especially with Ted's track record with drafting defense.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously cannot understand what the thought process up in GB was this offseason. I liked the Bennett acquisition, but why no moves to help the defense? I think Zach Brown might still be available and I'd love to have him up here in GB, but even that doesn't alleviate the holes we have at OLB/CB.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little *****'s Day Guinness is in order here. The offseason has a long way to go. As far as the front seven go, Perry is inked and Elliott, Fackrell, Martinez, and Ryan all showed some spark. If we don't come out of the draft with another moose up front and another OLB added to the mix that will be my most perplexing non-move of the offseason. As for Clay, when he is on the field:rolleyes:, I have no problem with his play.

D

Deleted member 6794

A little *****'s Day Guinness is in order here. The offseason has a long way to go. As far as the front seven go, Perry is inked and Elliott, Fackrell, Martinez, and Ryan all showed some spark. If we don't come out of the draft with another moose up front and another OLB added to the mix that will be my most perplexing non-move of the offseason. As for Clay, when he is on the field:rolleyes:, I have no problem with his play.

The Packers not adding a veteran #1 cornerback is by far the most perplexing non-move of the offseason.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers not adding a veteran #1 cornerback is by far the most perplexing non-move of the offseason.
The reason why I picked clay's contract is because the CB move was not likely to happen without restructuring or cutting clay.

D

Deleted member 6794

The reason why I picked clay's contract is because the CB move was not likely to happen without restructuring or cutting clay.

The Packers had enough cap space to sign a #1 cornerback this offseason, especially after saving $9 million by releasing Shields.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I agree it would have been nice to have gotten Clay to renegotiate his contract in order to free up money for signing other FA's, cutting him this year given the amount saved and the production at a thin position lost wouldn't have been prudent. All that said, even doing nothing with Clay and his contract, the Packers still had/have enough Cap to have signed a top CB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts