The Mike Pettine era may soon be over

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm guessing that in addition to being good at his job, one of the major reasons the Packers wanted to retain Pettine is because he seems sincere in his claims that he doesn't have interest in being a head coach again.

Head coaches with an offensive background tend to have trouble hanging on to great defensive coordinators, unless they're old and no longer seen as HC prospects. The same holds true in the reverse-- successful OC's working under defensive minded head coaches will get poached.

Having an offensive minded HC and a good, relatively young DC who doesn't want his own gig makes possible some sustained continuity on both sides of the ball.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine accomplished more with the Packer defense in one season than Capers did in his last 3 or 4 years. Rome wasn't built in a day and it is going to take some time and better players for Pettine to do much with the defense he inherited.
Do we really think the Colts have more talent? They were one of the best defenses in the league during the second half of the season. A good defense doesn't require great talent, but it does require great game planning, play calling, and discipline by the players. That's what NE has done for years. Can Pettine provide this? Looking at the opponents' success in the red zone , I'm very skeptical. Being better than the worst DC in the league isn't much of an endorsement.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW:

Coaching Rumors

LaFleur reportedly has expressed interest to the Packers’ front office about retaining Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator. As for his offensive coordinator, he is expected to target someone with a similar background as him with experience in the Mike/Kyle Shanahan-Sean McVay offensive systems.

The Packers have reportedly offered to retain TEs coach Brian Angelichio for 2019. Angelichio worked with LaFleur’s former boss Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland. Joe Philbin is also a possible candidate to stay with the Packers in some capacity.

Packersnews.com beat writer Jim Owczarski reports that Bengals assistant special teams coach Brayden Coombs may be a candidate to replace Ron Zook as special teams coordinator, and Rams assistant linebackers Chris Shula could get consideration as a full position coach on defense.

ESPN’s Rob Demovsky reports that Mike Pettine has agreed to stay on as the Packers’ defensive coordinator for the 2019 season. DL coach Jerry Montgomery is also expected to remain as well.

Complete text:https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...acker-news-and-updates-on-matt-lafleurs-hires

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Do we really think the Colts have more talent? They were one of the best defenses in the league during the second half of the season. A good defense doesn't require great talent, but it does require great game planning, play calling, and discipline by the players. That's what NE has done for years. Can Pettine provide this? Looking at the opponents' success in the red zone , I'm very skeptical. Being better than the worst DC in the league isn't much of an endorsement.

I understand your concern, I have the same concern with Joe Whitt and the Secondary. However, in regards to Pettine, I just think given his past successes with other teams, you have to give the guy more than one season to see what he can do in Green Bay.

I don't follow the Colts at all to know their defensive personnel and yes, Matt Eberflus seems to have done a great job in his first year as their DC. All that said, I don't think using his success as the standard to fire every coach that doesn't bring its unit from bottom 10 into top 10 his first season is a prudent method to run an organization. For if that was the case, a lot of successful coaches would have been fired after their first season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it so hard for some here to grasp the idea when you have 4th string or street free agents starting, there will be a mighty slip..

Jfc let's put 4th stringers at wr and expect them to get 100 catches and 15 tds

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why is it so hard for some here to grasp the idea when you have 4th string or street free agents starting, there will be a mighty slip..

Agreed, if you are only evaluating performance using a small time frame and that time frame is tainted by an unusual amount of injuries that effect the overall play during that time period. However, I hope nobody wants to use that free pass on a few other coaches and I will only use "an easy" and clear cut one, Ron Zook. Sure, as a special teams coordinator, you kind of are handed the bottom of the roster to work with and that bottom tends to change frequently due to injuries, but its a problem faced by most STC over the course of the season . So I would be pretty comfortable saying that over a pretty long period of time (4 seasons), Zook appears to have failed, with or without dealing with injuries and thus should be fired.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW:

Coaching Rumors

LaFleur reportedly has expressed interest to the Packers’ front office about retaining Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator. As for his offensive coordinator, he is expected to target someone with a similar background as him with experience in the Mike/Kyle Shanahan-Sean McVay offensive systems.

The Packers have reportedly offered to retain TEs coach Brian Angelichio for 2019. Angelichio worked with LaFleur’s former boss Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland. Joe Philbin is also a possible candidate to stay with the Packers in some capacity.

Packersnews.com beat writer Jim Owczarski reports that Bengals assistant special teams coach Brayden Coombs may be a candidate to replace Ron Zook as special teams coordinator, and Rams assistant linebackers Chris Shula could get consideration as a full position coach on defense.

ESPN’s Rob Demovsky reports that Mike Pettine has agreed to stay on as the Packers’ defensive coordinator for the 2019 season. DL coach Jerry Montgomery is also expected to remain as well.

Complete text:https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...acker-news-and-updates-on-matt-lafleurs-hires

Replace Zook and Whitt with these guys and it's an instant upgrade

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Same story, different year. Either way, we were middle of the pack in yards allowed, yet #22 in points allowed. That tells me that there is an issue with the coaching and that they couldn't stop anyone in the red zone.

We allowed fewer yards than NE, yet allowed nearly 5 more points per game. That's ridiculous. I don't see any evidence that Pettine was actually good. You all just have the worst DC in the league as a basis for comparison

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Same story, different year. Either way, we were middle of the pack in yards allowed, yet #22 in points allowed. That tells me that there is an issue with the coaching and that they couldn't stop anyone in the red zone.

We allowed fewer yards than NE, yet allowed nearly 5 more points per game. That's ridiculous. I don't see any evidence that Pettine was actually good. You all just have the worst DC in the league as a basis for comparison

I think a telling story will be what is done with the defensive assistants. I would be more than thrilled with cleaning house of all of them. However, DL coach Montgomery was reported as being offered, so I have a sneaky feeling that Whitt will be too :(

As far as was this defense better under Pettine or better under Capers, I think most fans so an obvious improvement last year and with a few pieces added each season to what I would call a mess when Pettine started, they will continue to improve under Pettine.

This doesn't really matter, but I am curious, are you a Packer fan? I ask because sometimes you say "we" when talking about the Packers and sometimes, like at the end of this post you toss in "You all just have the worst DC in the league as a basis for comparison"

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels WASN'T going to retain Pettine. Murphy and Gute wanted him to be retained. Take that nugget of info how you’d like. It’s just funny seeing all these people commenting like Lafleur was the overwhelming favorite smh.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels WASN'T going to retain Pettine. Murphy and Gute wanted him to be retained. Take that nugget of info how you’d like. It’s just funny seeing all these people commenting like Lafleur was the overwhelming favorite smh.

He was probably going to install a lousy booger like Rob Ryan here

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah yes. I remember him in college. Great hands. Lacked breakaway speed, but was a power runner.

Yes, but did he know when to call for a fair catch and when to stay in the endzone. We need a guy who can teach our returners that.

I'm not liking the direction this thread is heading. Oh hell who am I kidding I'm looking forward to it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a telling story will be what is done with the defensive assistants. I would be more than thrilled with cleaning house of all of them. However, DL coach Montgomery was reported as being offered, so I have a sneaky feeling that Whitt will be too :(

As far as was this defense better under Pettine or better under Capers, I think most fans so an obvious improvement last year and with a few pieces added each season to what I would call a mess when Pettine started, they will continue to improve under Pettine.

This doesn't really matter, but I am curious, are you a Packer fan? I ask because sometimes you say "we" when talking about the Packers and sometimes, like at the end of this post you toss in "You all just have the worst DC in the league as a basis for comparison"
If he stays, that's fine. I just want it to be LaFluer's call. I think it's a mistake to hire or retain someone just because of their success many years ago, unless he has the same players that he did at that time. We tried many years to recapture the magic with Capers, and it was a total waste.

I don't know much about his previous stints, but I know Rex Ryan had some talented defenses. My question regarding coaches is, can they elevate the level of talent that they are given? I question that with Pettine.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he stays, that's fine. I just want it to be LaFluer's call. I think it's a mistake to hire or retain someone just because of their success many years ago, unless he has the same players that he did at that time. We tried many years to recapture the magic with Capers, and it was a total waste.

I don't know much about his previous stints, but I know Rex Ryan had some talented defenses. My question regarding coaches is, can they elevate the level of talent that they are given? I question that with Pettine.

I believe it is LaFleur making the call. I would also add that Pettine's job got even harder because our offense went 3 and out more times this last year than any other year in the Aaron Rodgers era.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, a bunch of hacks

And Lovie Smith? You dealt with Capers for over a decade but you’re calling these guys Hacks? As I’ve said 10000,0000 times. I LIKE Pettine...but he shouldn’t be forced on the new HC if he wants his own staff. Lafleur probably is so excited about getting the job he’s willing to keep Zook as well haha

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My question regarding coaches is, can they elevate the level of talent that they are given? I question that with Pettine.
That has been my biggest question and criticism of Whitt for awhile now. But I think in the case of Pettine, he earned a chance to continue to prove himself.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the two guys he probably would’ve considered was Mike Nolan or Spagnola or Lovi Smith.
those guys aren't hacks when it comes to defensive football. Didn't smith take the bears to a super bowl with Orton and Sexi Rexi as QB's?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I was a big Lovie Smith fan as far as his defensive mind. But with the way he has somewhat floundered in the last 5 or so years, I have to wonder if he hasn't checked out a bit and just gliding to retirement at Illinois.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it is LaFleur making the call. I would also add that Pettine's job got even harder because our offense went 3 and out more times this last year than any other year in the Aaron Rodgers era.
We were actually one of the top teams in terms of avoiding 3 and outs.
That has been my biggest question and criticism of Whitt for awhile now. But I think in the case of Pettine, he earned a chance to continue to prove himself.
I guess my question is, how? I think people are exaggerating how good he is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess my question is, how? I think people are exaggerating how good he is.
I think they are exaggerating if they call Pettine "Great", he definitely hasn't earned that yet.

I think your point is pretty valid if you are only looking at stats, since it seems about the only dramatic change in stats from 2017 to 2018 was somehow Pettine's defense was able to manufacture 7 more sacks. But I think Gute/Murphy are probably looking at the feel of where the defense is headed and also realize that with the current personnel, Pettine and the defense can only improve so much as players are hopefully upgraded.