The Mike Pettine era may soon be over

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
those guys aren't hacks when it comes to defensive football. Didn't smith take the bears to a super bowl with Orton and Sexi Rexi as QB's?

That was a long long time ago, but most recently he flamed out of the league especially after getting fired in Tampa.

Mike Nolan, who McDaniels hired his last go round is a joke and a huge downgrade from Pettine.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they are exaggerating if they call Pettine "Great", he definitely hasn't earned that yet.

I think your point is pretty valid if you are only looking at stats, since it seems about the only dramatic change in stats from 2017 to 2018 was somehow Pettine's defense was able to manufacture 7 more sacks. But I think Gute/Murphy are probably looking at the feel of where the defense is headed and also realize that with the current personnel, Pettine and the defense can only improve so much as players are hopefully upgraded.
I guess I'm not as down on the talent as everyone elsee. We were in the top half of the league in terms of yardage allowed. But it seems when it came time to stop someone, we couldn't. And they were consistently bad, allowing 27 or more points in 9 games. And we want to keep this guy? 30 or more points to Washington, Detroit twice, SF, and NYJ is horrific. If anything, he's been a lateral move from Capers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t pay attention to what happened in Tampa, But his defense is still relevant. Just ask the Colts

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess I'm not as down on the talent as everyone elsee. We were in the top half of the league in terms of yardage allowed. But it seems when it came time to stop someone, we couldn't. And they were consistently bad, allowing 27 or more points in 9 games. And we want to keep this guy? 30 or more points to Washington, Detroit twice, SF, and NYJ is horrific. If anything, he's been a lateral move from Capers.

I don't think there are many people here that would have been overly pissed off if the hire of a new solid HC cost Pettine his job. Matter of fact from memory, including myself, most were posting "would like to see Pettine retained, but understand if he isn't". So speaking for myself and a few others that I know feel the same, none of us have put Pettine on a pedestal just yet, but are probably just happy to see the Defense slowly improve with what appears to be a better (than Capers) DC and moves made by Gute to facilitate improvement.

I think the Packers have a few talented players on Defense, but not enough to form a really good defense around just yet.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there are many people here that would have been overly pissed off if the hire of a new solid HC cost Pettine his job. Matter of fact from memory, including myself, most were posting "would like to see Pettine retained, but understand if he isn't". So speaking for myself and a few others that I know feel the same, none of us have put Pettine on a pedestal just yet, but are probably just happy to see the Defense slowly improve with what appears to be a better (than Capers) DC and moves made by Gute to facilitate improvement.

I think the Packers have a few talented players on Defense, but not enough to form a really good defense around just yet.
We're closer than you think. We should be able to land a good OLB in the draft, and safety is the only other weakness I see. With a good DC, they could easily be a top 10 unit next year. With Pettine, I think that we're just going to be continuing our never-ending journey to complete this defensive roster.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the hate on Joe Whitt. Charles Woodson has said he's the best DB coach he's ever had.

The talent level has been abysmal since 2016 (besides Jaire who is a stud and Kevin King who can't seem to stay healthy).

Like, we had GUNTER as our starting CB in 2016 and we made it to the NFCCG. I know Rodgers carried us and they got obliterated in Atlanta, but the fact we got there with those guys at CB is impressive to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't get the hate on Joe Whitt. Charles Woodson has said he's the best DB coach he's ever had.

Like, we had GUNTER as our starting CB in 2016 and we made it to the NFCCG. I know Rodgers carried us and they got obliterated in Atlanta, but the fact we got there with those guys at CB is impressive to me.

Yes, Joe Whitt and Charles Woodson helped develop Sam Shields. While I respect Charles and loved him as a player, his opinion is based on being coached by Whitt quite awhile ago. Should Capers have been retained because of past success and comments like that from former players? Congrats Joe, Charles loves you and you did great helping to develop Shields, but that shouldn't be a free pass to keep you as a coach forever.

I don't want to get into the same Joe Whitt debate here.

Zook was our special teams coach in 2016, should he be safe because we made the NFCCG in 2016? I really don't think either our Special Teams or CB's are what got us to the NFCCG's in 14' and 16', maybe eliminated from. ;)

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Joe Whitt and Charles Woodson helped develop Sam Shields. While I respect Charles and loved him as a player, his opinion is based on being coached by Whitt quite awhile ago. Should Capers have been retained because of past success and comments like that from former players? Congrats Joe, Charles loves you and you did great helping to develop Shields, but that shouldn't be a free pass to keep you as a coach forever.

I don't want to get into the same Joe Whitt debate here.

Zook was our special teams coach in 2016, should he be safe because we made the NFCCG in 2016? I really don't think either our Special Teams or CB's are what got us to the NFCCG's in 14' and 16', maybe eliminated from. ;)

This. Charles Woodson did a lot for us so yes his opinion is respected, but he hasn't been here in 6 years, plus he was a longtime vet by the time he worked with Whitt. Since then, we've gotten new CBs who should be becoming carbon copies of C Wood and Whitt is an abject failure at doing that.

Time to go

Members online

Latest posts