The Marcedes Lewis discussion

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the big questions for Kendricks is if he will contribute on special teams? If he doesn’t contribute on special teams I could definitely see him being cut for a young guy or even keeping 2 TE’s and 2 FB’s (Rip and Kerridge) as they are both good special team contributors. I honestly don’t know if Kendricks played much ST last year but he definitely will need to this year to be worth keeping on the final roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not going to be a "cap casualty" or anything. If he performs enough to make the team, he's going to make the team. If a younger guy can replace his production, he's not. His salary isn't prohibitive to keep him by any stretch and having 3 TE's that are vets isn't exactly a bad thing for a roster either.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One of the big questions for Kendricks is if he will contribute on special teams? If he doesn’t contribute on special teams I could definitely see him being cut for a young guy or even keeping 2 TE’s and 2 FB’s (Rip and Kerridge) as they are both good special team contributors. I honestly don’t know if Kendricks played much ST last year but he definitely will need to this year to be worth keeping on the final roster.

Kendricks was in on 66 Special Teams snaps last year. What capacity that was, I am not sure, but guessing maybe for FG's and XP's?

Like Mondio said, If Kendricks is the 3rd or 2nd best TE on the team, he won't get cut just because of money. What are the odds that Graham stays healthy for all 16+ games? I like the Lewis signing, but not so sure he was signed to try and push Kendricks out of a job.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the chances that one of the free agent TE's plays so well in pre season that Kendricks is toast? That is what is going to determine if he stays or gets axed. Chances are both Graham and Lewis won't be healthy for all 16 games so unless a free agent unexpectedly looks so good that MM and Gute can't stash him on the pracrice squad, Kendricks will likely make the 53.

H

HardRightEdge

You can't spread the field on every play. Somebody has to block in short yardage and that ain't Graham or Kendricks, or at least is shouldn't be.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is referring to Marcedes, who is 34. If it helps, he just turned 34 last week.

AR has got to be loving this.

The original question was regarding Graham, who i
Yeah I thought you were talking about Lewis, got that confused. 4-5 good years for Graham makes a lot more sense, I'd say it's probably closer to 3-4 but let's not split hairs here.

I am so glad we are clear. I was able to follow along, but I'm very focused. Actually, I have nothing to say, really.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give or take a birthday, Shannon played until 33/34, and in his last year started 15 games, caught 62 for 770

Gonzalez was 3-4 years older, and had 16/83/859

Shannon Sharpe played through the age of 35. Tony Gonzalez played through age 37.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerellh528, don't leave us hanging like that. With what do you disagree, and why?

Sharpe - born in June of '68, last season was '03

Gonzalez - Feb of '76, last in '13

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I think all 3 are locks for roster spots since we'll carry 3.
It might be more constructive to think of Graham as a WR more than a TE, in which case we may see Graham and Lewis on the field at the same time, Graham wide and Lewis in-line, in some number of tweener run/pass downs, 1st. down, 2nd. and 4, etc. Perhaps quite a few.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be more constructive to think of Graham as a WR more than a TE, in which case we may see Graham and Lewis on the field at the same time, Graham wide and Lewis in-line, in some number of tweener run/pass downs, 1st. down, 2nd. and 4, etc. Perhaps quite a few.

There's gonna be a lot of interesting options.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
graham's a te. he's always been a te...and the older and slower he gets the less you'll see him in the odd formation when he's not in the traditional te spot. you want him going against linebackers and safeties, not corners. mm's never really done the two te thing to any great degree but this is his best opportunity if he's ever going to do it.

H

HardRightEdge

graham's a te, he's always been a te
Is he? Has he?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...les-jimmy-graham-new-orleans-saints-tight-end

In 2013, "Graham lined up either in the slot or out wide on 67 percent of his snaps...." That's just the one year I found in a quick search recalling his arb case. Graham claims he still runs a 4.5 and he doesn't block for sh*t. If he does have that speed, then the next question becomes, "who else ya got?" to play wideout.

Finley was about 50/50 TE vs. wide/slot and he lost an arb case on the same matter if memory serves.

McCarthy will use Graham outside, the only question is how much. I believe it will be more than little, probably some, maybe a lot.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
graham's a WR. he's always been a WR...and the older and slower he gets the less you'll see him in the odd formation when he's not in the traditional te spot. you want him going against linebackers and safeties, not corners. mm's never really done the two te thing to any great degree but this is his best opportunity if he's ever going to do it.

Fixed that for you

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he? Has he?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...les-jimmy-graham-new-orleans-saints-tight-end

In 2013, "Graham lined up either in the slot or out wide on 67 percent of his snaps...." That's just the one year I found in a quick search recalling his arb case. Graham claims he still runs a 4.5 and he doesn't block for sh*t. If he does have that speed, then the next question becomes, "who else ya got?" to play wideout.

Finley was about 50/50 TE vs. wide/slot and he lost an arb case on the same matter if memory serves.

McCarthy will use Graham outside, the only question is how much. I believe it will be more than little, probably some, maybe a lot.
yes but as the article points out he's most always been defended as a te with linebackers covering him. that's why he was successful. you want to insure that. you don't want him against corners. in HRE's post it shows an out of position TWill (4 yrs ago btw) easily defend a pass to him. there's also almost no difference in him lining up in the slot compared to te. what's 4 or 5 feet? imo if he's lined up opposite adams, and covered by cb's, it's a wasted opportunity. he won't be targeted. in close quarters though all bets are off. i want him to be a force between the 20's too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes but as the article points out he's most always been defended as a te with linebackers covering him. that's why he was successful. you want to insure that. you don't want him against corners. in HRE's post it shows an out of position TWill (4 yrs ago btw) easily defend a pass to him. there's also almost no difference in him lining up in the slot compared to te. what's 4 or 5 feet? imo if he's lined up opposite adams, and covered by cb's, it's a wasted opportunity. he won't be targeted. in close quarters though all bets are off. i want him to be a force between the 20's too.
Go ahead and cover him with DB's. He caught that easily defended ball for a TD BTW. He's a mismatch all over the place in 1 on 1 coverages. He held TWill off with his body and easily caught the ball thrown over the top of the DB. Especially when you have a guy as accurate as Rodgers can be.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Lol. He’s definitely not the same player he was in his prime, stats and eye test both indicate that, not sure how anyone could possibly say there’s nothing to indicate graham has declined some. But hey you might be right, it’s possible he has a career year here and surpasses the 1200 yards and 16 tds he had in the 2013 season :laugh:
The above is the post that I originally quoted you on.

Below in regular print are my comments, and beneath each of my snippets are bolded comments that YOU made in the post I originally quoted you on. Where you're getting the idea that I don't seem to understand what's going on is baffling. If you're using some type of satire or facetiousness that I'm not catching, please enlighten me. But it's pretty difficult to mistake the comments that you made:

You seemed to be insinuating that maybe the poster you were quoting is correct

But hey you might be right
:confused:

that he hasn't declined and would match or surpass his best season as a pro.

it’s possible he has a career year here and surpasses the 1200 yards and 16 tds he had in the 2013 season :laugh:
This part was your way of suggesting that because he hasn't put up THIS type of production since 2013 that he's declined. All I was saying is that using statistics is a lazy way to come to the conclusion that a player is declining. Compare Drew Brees to Russell Wilson. It's insanity. Role, philosophy, etc all play a major role in what type of production a player is able to have, along with who is throwing him the football.

Which leads into:

I was simply saying that just because your numbers aren't quite what they used to be doesn't mean that you have declined. Team, philosophy, role, quarterback, etc all play a role in your production level.

Lol. He’s definitely not the same player he was in his prime, stats and eye test both indicate that
YOU said the stats have proved he isn't the same player. I didn't say that. So lets forget about the stats and go to the eye test, which to your credit you also mentioned. Like I said, I think that Graham has declined some, but not enough to where he shouldn't be able to make a huge difference on this team with the greatest thrower of the football in the history of the game behind center.

You and I are not far off on our thoughts, I was simply saying that your usage of his numbers in 2013 is a logically flawed way of determining whether this particular player has declined. If Graham would have went from Wilson to Brees and didn't improve his stats, that would be one thing. But he went from a mostly passing oriented offensive attack, to an organizational philosophy to build around a great defense and running game. No one will mistake Seattle for an elite passing offense. IMO, you should be accounting for this. If you disagree, then fine. But don't try to make the argument that I didn't understand what you were trying to suggest.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Graham is going to love having Rodgers throwing to him. If they can establish chemistry, I think they are going to be fantastic working together.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham is going to love having Rodgers throwing to him. If they can establish chemistry, I think they are going to be fantastic working together.
I still think he's getting a bit more than he's worth, but I am coming around to having him here with the other things they've done that he's going to be he dominant guy he was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think he's getting a bit more than he's worth, but I am coming around to having him here with the other things they've done that he's going to be he dominant guy he was.
I hear ya. I loved the signing, wasn't thrilled about the price at first, but what are you going to do? Considering the Bears spent $32 M on a 4 year deal with Burton, who was a backup last year, I have come around to the cost even.

There are no guarantees in Football, but I think as long as Graham stays healthy, he and Rodgers could give defenses absolute fits. Add to that the height they just added with Lewis and the 3 rookie WR's and if things start to click, watch out for this offense!

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The above is the post that I originally quoted you on.

Below in regular print are my comments, and beneath each of my snippets are bolded comments that YOU made in the post I originally quoted you on. Where you're getting the idea that I don't seem to understand what's going on is baffling. If you're using some type of satire or facetiousness that I'm not catching, please enlighten me. But it's pretty difficult to mistake the comments that you made:

:confused:

This part was your way of suggesting that because he hasn't put up THIS type of production since 2013 that he's declined. All I was saying is that using statistics is a lazy way to come to the conclusion that a player is declining. Compare Drew Brees to Russell Wilson. It's insanity. Role, philosophy, etc all play a major role in what type of production a player is able to have, along with who is throwing him the football.

Which leads into:

YOU said the stats have proved he isn't the same player. I didn't say that. So lets forget about the stats and go to the eye test, which to your credit you also mentioned. Like I said, I think that Graham has declined some, but not enough to where he shouldn't be able to make a huge difference on this team with the greatest thrower of the football in the history of the game behind center.

You and I are not far off on our thoughts, I was simply saying that your usage of his numbers in 2013 is a logically flawed way of determining whether this particular player has declined. If Graham would have went from Wilson to Brees and didn't improve his stats, that would be one thing. But he went from a mostly passing oriented offensive attack, to an organizational philosophy to build around a great defense and running game. No one will mistake Seattle for an elite passing offense. IMO, you should be accounting for this. If you disagree, then fine. But don't try to make the argument that I didn't understand what you were trying to suggest.

Nah, Go look at what I was replying to. Him saying “graham may very well have a career year here”. I didn’t use his best season’s stats to suggest anything below that threshold is a decline, I used his best season to show that him being capable of having a career year here is pretty out of the question based on what he put up in what my opinion was his career year. I think the mix up, is you might just be reading my replies instead of what I’m replying to. Also I never said he wasn’t going to make a big difference, that’s a straw man. A player can still have declined some and make a big difference. My argument wasn’t that he was worthless, just that he’s not the player he was was.

Last edited:

Latest posts