The Marcedes Lewis discussion

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but he responded to me and I was referring to Graham. It's pretty clear if you trace back the replies. Someone said we already had a tall, old guy and I asked who. They said "Graham." I said he isn't old and should have 4 or 5 good years left. Then someone replied to me that he was 34. I know what he meant, but I wasn't the one who lost the flow of the conversation, so I corrected him in case anyone who was following closely mistakenly got the impression that Graham was 34.

Yeah I thought you were talking about Lewis, got that confused. 4-5 good years for Graham makes a lot more sense, I'd say it's probably closer to 3-4 but let's not split hairs here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Now I bet they wait to see if any young TE distinguishes himself in camp. If so, they can cut Kendricks. If not, then they just keep three old dudes.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing for me is yeah, Lewis is a terrific blocking TE, but maybe he's not bad as a receiver either. Consider that although he only caught 24 passes last season, they went for about 13 YPC and 5 TD's. Add to that the Jags were a predominately running team and their QB is Bortles. I'm giving this signing two thumbs up.

If he's so terrific at blocking, then why would the Jags, who rely on the run the way teams did in the 60's, not re-sign him? Makes me wonder how much he wants and what's going on that fans don't know about. The money used for Lewis would be better used on defense (ahem, Reid). I mean, the Packers have the best QB in the NFL, I don't care how great the TE is at run-blocking, I guarantee that every time the Packers run the ball rather than let Rodgers throw it, the defense is happy (unless the defense is obviously over-playing the pass but then you don't really need the amazing run-blocking TE).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. If you want to keep Rodgers healthy into his 40s we better develop more of a running game to keep Anthony Barr and others from focusing on the pass rush.

Overall, this roster position reminds me of when we had a good blocking TE in Ed West and then added Keith Jackson in free agency. The question becomes, can McCarthy & Philbin use these guys in the way that Holmgren did?

beehive555

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. If you want to keep Rodgers healthy into his 40s we better develop more of a running game to keep Anthony Barr and others from focusing on the pass rush.

Overall, this roster position reminds me of when we had a good blocking TE in Ed West and then added Keith Jackson in free agency. The question becomes, can McCarthy & Philbin use these guys in the way that Holmgren did?
I think your thinking of Chewy, when we added Jackson and hopefully the run game is what we hope it'll be this year with Jones, Williams and Monty. It should be solid

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I bet they wait to see if any young TE distinguishes himself in camp. If so, they can cut Kendricks. If not, then they just keep three old dudes.
yup. kendricks cap hit this year is $2.25m. that's a lot for someone who won't be playing. i bet he's the odd man out ($600k dead cap). the others will fight it out for #3 and special teams duty.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s old for the role he plays. Most other guys who played well as an older player were also much more versatile than graham.
Sorry but 31 isn't old for a primarily receiving TE. It's late prime. There's nothing to indicate Graham is on any kind of decline, and with Rodgers throwing to him he might well have a career season this year.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but 31 isn't old for a primarily receiving TE. It's late prime. There's nothing to indicate Graham is on any kind of decline, and with Rodgers throwing to him he might well have a career season this year.

Lol. He’s definitely not the same player he was in his prime, stats and eye test both indicate that, not sure how anyone could possibly say there’s nothing to indicate graham has declined some. But hey you might be right, it’s possible he has a career year here and surpasses the 1200 yards and 16 tds he had in the 2013 season :laugh:

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham's no longer quite the explosive athlete he was back then, so I'd agree he did decline a bit and is maybe past his prime. But he's still 6'7" and pretty athletic. I don't expect 1200+ yards, but with Rodgers I think he'll be good enough for 900 and about 8-10 TDs and command plenty of attention from the defense. He could have a solid second phase of his career that's better than the prime of most receiving TEs out there.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Lol. He’s definitely not the same player he was in his prime, stats and eye test both indicate that, not sure how anyone could possibly say there’s nothing to indicate graham has declined some. But hey you might be right, it’s possible he has a career year here and surpasses the 1200 yards and 16 tds he had in the 2013 season :laugh:
Well by that logic, Rodgers has been on decline since 2011 when he had a 122 passer rating and 45/6 TD/INT ratio.

But your point is well taken.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The real question should be is this the 90's NFL or is this the modern NFL? The Packers running game last year (with basically no threat of the passing game for much of the season) averaged as many yards per carry as the Eagles (yards per attempt for Packers was 3rd in the NFL, tied with 4 other teams). So, I'm not real sure how much the Packers really missed an elite blocking TE. Adding an elite blocking TE is nice but the contract details are gonna be REALLY important on this one because there are many more important holes to fill on this roster.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the signing, but like many others I agree that Kendricks needs to go. He's done essentially nothing in 2 seasons to distinguish himself. What I also want to know, is what about all these younger players? You've got Byrd, Tonyan, Gibson, and Rader. I'm assuming one of them will make the 53(assuming Kendricks gets cut), but I don't like the idea of 2 TEs taking up PS slots. We'll probably have 3 WRs taking up 3 spots already.

I fully expect Graham to be around for 3-5 seasons, and hopefully Lewis for 1-2. That being said, barring injury I think we might be able to make it with just them on the roster and addressing TE in the 2019 Draft with a 4th-6th Round Pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like the signing, but like many others I agree that Kendricks needs to go. He's done essentially nothing in 2 seasons to distinguish himself.
Kendricks has only been a Packer for 1 season. I'm not sure how the Packers feel about Kendricks and I guess we will find out if Lewis was signed to replace him or just to add more depth. I still think evaluating Kendricks only based on what he did last year, would be short sighted given the circumstances of being in a new system and having Hundley as his QB for much of the season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like he will be a viable TD option and a player for short first downs. Running or passing.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Graham, Lewis, Adams and Cobb, we’re going to be a very good red zone offense. I mean, I know Rodgers has been outstanding there, but this will just make it easier for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In the NFL, numbering regulations state that tight ends must wear numbers 8089 or 4049.

The only unused "80 or 40 number" is Jordy's old number, #87....will that be Lewis's new number?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL, numbering regulations state that tight ends must wear numbers 8089 or 4049.

The only unused "80 or 40 number" is Jordy's old number, #87....will that be Lewis's new number?

"During the preseason period when playing rosters are larger, the League will allow duplication and other temporary deviations
from the numbering scheme specified above, but the rule must be adhered to for all players during the regular season and
postseason." Have a feeling that at least one of they guys sporting a 40 or 80 something number won't be on the 53. :)

http://www.packers.com/team/roster.html

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well by that logic, Rodgers has been on decline since 2011 when he had a 122 passer rating and 45/6 TD/INT ratio.

But your point is well taken.

I don’t think you quite understood the conversation with that reply, but I’m glad you at least saw the major point.

Members online

Latest posts