The magic number is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
500! How the heck did Phollip Rivers throw for 500 yds? That is inexcusable idc how bad your defense is or how "good" the other qb is. This can never happen again whatever gameplan Capers had should be burned. Had the Chargers not got off to a slow start and squandered some red zone oppertunity they walk out of Lambeau with a win. The first quality qb the defense sees carves them up. Another thing! Why not have Shields cover Allen who was running circles around the rookie? Time for Shields to start following the other teams best wr if he's the #1 corner.

D

Deleted member 6794

500! How the heck did Phollip Rivers throw for 500 yds? That is inexcusable idc how bad your defense is or how "good" the other qb is. This can never happen again whatever gameplan Capers had should be burned. Had the Chargers not got off to a slow start and squandered some red zone oppertunity they walk out of Lambeau with a win. The first quality qb the defense sees carves them up. Another thing! Why not have Shields cover Allen who was running circles around the rookie? Time for Shields to start following the other teams best wr if he's the #1 corner.

I guess Rivers throwing the ball 65 times had something to do with it. He averaged less yards per attempt than Rodgers. The most important thing is that the defense held the Chargers to only 20 points.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it sounded horrible, but 20 points. you can't ignore the 500 yards, but you also can't ignore that it only resulted in 20 points

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivers was on fire and they had a great gameplan, along with our D having an "off" day.

We got the W. Let us rest, and move on. We're also (hopefully) getting Morgan back, which will be nice.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Rivers throwing the ball 65 times had something to do with it. He averaged less yards per attempt than Rodgers. The most important thing is that the defense held the Chargers to only 20 points.

No question that, on paper, 500 yards but 20 points is a win for the D. Just watched the first half, though, and the announcers mentioned that Rivers himself had been talking about all the yards they'd gotten previously with not nearly the same point production. Is the 'yes, but' question here is whether the Packers' scoring D was that good or the Chargers' offense just never can finish the job.

D

Deleted member 6794

No question that, on paper, 500 yards but 20 points is a win for the D. Just watched the first half, though, and the announcers mentioned that Rivers himself had been talking about all the yards they'd gotten previously with not nearly the same point production. Is the 'yes, but' question here is whether the Packers' scoring D was that good or the Chargers' offense just never can finish the job.

Well, the Chargers ranked 10th in red zone TD percentage entering yesterday's game at 62.5%. The Packers stopped them on four of their six trips inside the 20.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
rodell330, this must be as good as it gets for you: The Packers going into the bye 6-0 yet there's plenty to ***** about in their last game!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Here is another set of magic numbers:

6 and 0.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodell330, this must be as good as it gets for you: The Packers going into the bye 6-0 yet there's plenty to ***** about in their last game!

It's my opinion ...the thread wants people's opinions !!! Not every opinion someone makes is complaining or b*. Don't read my post if you don't like it.... Otherwise be quiet. Where 6-0! but not perfect by any means! Can you Wrap your brain around that?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's my opinion ...the thread wants people's opinions !!! Not every opinion someone makes is complaining or b*. Don't read my post if you don't like it.... Otherwise be quiet. Where 6-0! but not perfect by any means! Can you Wrap your brain around that?
First, I posted that in jest. Second, you have a history here. Third, no team or player is perfect: Can you wrap your brain around that?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey, don't leave out the rest of us who didn't care for the 2011 season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, don't leave out the rest of us who didn't care for the 2011 season.
See post #13. And I don't remember the 2011 D stats after 6 games but I as I remember it, there was more to ***** about the 2011 D. Was yesterday an anomaly or the beginning of a trend?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See post #13. And I don't remember the 2011 D stats after 6 games but I as I remember it, there was more to ***** about the 2011 D. Was yesterday an anomaly or the beginning of a trend?

Sure, the D was a sore spot in 2011, but the O was a whole lot better, so the "we're undefeated, so don't *****" crowd was pretty much in evidence then, too.

Figure out a way to answer the anomaly vs trend question, and I'd have a whole lot less to ***** about.

Sky King

Reaction score
I've been supportive of Dom Capers. Still am. But I have to admit that this quote from Tom Silverstein in this morning's JSOnline (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ense-for-503-yards-b99598789z1-333983991.html) gave me pause:

..."Rivers, whose 500-yard passing day was the 17th in NFL history (three of which have been against the Packers with Dom Capers as defensive coordinator)"...

That came as a big surprise to me. Regardless, I remain in the "players not scheme" camp. Three key players on D sat this one out and Rivers is not exactly chopped liver. Rivers and company had an exceptional day passing overall and the Packer defense made just enough good plays at critical times to serve as an effective buffer against that all-out assault. The game was closer for longer than I had anticipated beforehand.

D

Deleted member 6794

..."Rivers, whose 500-yard passing day was the 17th in NFL history (three of which have been against the Packers with Dom Capers as defensive coordinator)"...

To be fair, one of these games occurred in week 17 of the 2011 season with the Packers having nothing to play for.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the history of the NFL there have been 17 500 yard 0 interception performances, guess what the overall record in those games are? 9-8. Why, because QB's that throw that much are losing and in a dogfight. Everyone should focus on the most important stat of yesterday's game. 1-0.

Phillip Rivers was phenomenal yesterday, you should tip your hat, say good game sir, maybe you can get the win the next time.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the history of the NFL there have been 17 500 yard 0 interception performances, guess what the overall record in those games are? 9-8.

This was the fifth time in league history that a QB threw for more than 500 yards and no interceptions. Rivers became the first one to lose such a game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait

Is it 9-8 with 500 yards and 0 int

Or is it 4-1 with 500 yards and 0 int?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait

Is it 9-8 with 500 yards and 0 int

Or is it 4-1 with 500 yards and 0 int?

My apologies, I misread my information, there have been 17 500 yard games in history and the record is 9-8. For 500 and no interceptions it is 4-1, only 5 games. Rivers is the first 500 yard no interception loser, which frankly makes us winning that game even more impressive in my mind.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you guys see how much we were blitzing up the middle do to no pressure, rivers consistently stepped up in the pocket like it was nothing and gashing us. I learned yesterday Raji and Perry are BIG FACTORS in this D. I give randall credit too cause he was getting torched all game long but kept his head up and came up clutch on that last pass to woodhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts