1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Lombardi Trophy will be presented by.....

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Jules, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
  2. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,801
    Were you a Baltimore Colts fan when they were still in Baltimore?
    If the Colts weren't in Indy, then who would you be a fan of?
    I'm just wondering what your fan herstory is.

By this, shall we take it that you want the Pack to face the Ravens?

3. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Still can't beat last year when Roger Staubach handed it to McCarthy. I don't know why that was so special. When you live 25 years hating the Cowboys with a bloody passion, yet think like me that Staubach is one of the best QB's to ever play the game, that had to feel good, and it was in Jerry World lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,801
    Back before when I knew any better and was still growing up and getting the concept of football, I was a bandwagon fan for the team that was doing any good and one of those teams was the Cowboys which included Staubach.

Staubach invented the Hail Mary pass.

He looked very uncomfortable when he was carrying the trophy through the gauntlet of Packers and up to the stand.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I was born in 1980. So no not really lol. But, my dad was a fan of the Baltimore Colts and especially Unitas.

Packers full time. :)

No I really don't like the Ravens or their fans much lol. But, I guess in the trio of NE/Balt/Pitts then Baltimore is my choice. The rest of the AFC teams in the playoffs are kinda meh to me.

Ravens fans get heated a lot over the Colts. It bugs them when people compare Peyton to Unitas with
    the records. Compared Marvin to Berry etc.

Overall I do think 2 weeks of coverage for a potential Packers/Ravens SB would be most enjoyable to me as a fan. You get to hear about the Packers, some old school Baltimore Colts stuff. Guys like Ray Lewis would give some entertaining interviews.

Just hoping if it happened then the old school Colts cancel out the new school and the Packers win!!!

6. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

I've always hated Dallas but as a quarterback and player, he's one of my favorites of all time. The entire 1970's Dallas offense in it's prime was a power house, most people forget about those teams because the 1990's Dallas teams. I still have my Drew Pearson and Tony Dorsett cards from 1977 that I paid a fortune for when I first started buying cards.

7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,801
    I was mad at the Steelers for beating them in the SB and winning more than the Cowboys.
    One of those SBs is featured in the movie "Black Sunday."

I'm pretty sure I still have my Ed "Too Tall" Jones card.
    As for other Cowboys players, I'm not too sure. I'll have to check.

And then you have Tom Landry. One of the last of the old school coaches wearing his hat, suit and tie with that long coat and without a head set.
    Class all the way with that look.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

Tom Landry's a favorite of mine too, I just loved his defense. When we he went to 4-3 prevent, he wasn't playing around.

My favorite moment has to be the time Buddy Ryan coached Philly and was complaining about Landry running the score up on his Eagles, so next time they played, he made sure he tried to run it up every time LOL

9. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,801
    Other Cowboys memories: (Thanx Bogart for helping to bring these up for me!)
    And do you remember how the Cowboys would do that thing at the line of scrimmage? The whole line would rise up and then back down into the stance as one unit.
    I dunno if it was the Cowboys who first used the shotgun, but I think they did it more than other teams did and it was such a novelty at the time.
    The announcers barely mention it now but back then, every single time it was used.

10. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

Yep I know what you're talking about, I used to love watching their games on Youtube and other sites that have full games.

I believe the Saints coach Sean Payton formed a lot of his plays watching Tom Landry's old Cowboys, especially the 2009 team. When I watch the Saints do crazy stuff, it always reminds me of them. The flea flickers, 2 TE sets, and I'm not 100% sure but I do remember seeing a lot of screens to Dorsett in some of those games.

I don't know a whole lot about older teams, but you're probably right, the Cowboys did use Shot Gun formations a lot. They probably came up with the Shot Gun 3 Wide option. Most teams back then were heavy on the run game, it was probably odd to see a team throw it so much back then, before Bill Walsh's Niners.

• Like Like x 1
  11. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Hey, you know, back in the day, there was a high school team I played against that did that - obviously the coach thought it was cool and had his entire O-line doing it. They would come up to the line and line up with their hands on their knee pads. The QB started the cadence with "set", and they'd all raise up and drop into their 3 point. Final game of the year, both teams undefeated and state ranked ... our coach flat out despised that as 'showboating'. On the first play of their first possession, our D-line and linebackers were instructed to come off of the ball in unison and paste them with a forearm to the stomach (that really f'n hurts by the way) when they'd take the hands off of their knees -- and then argue that their QB had 'set' the line... we of course were penalized, but for the entire 1st quarter, their O-line was jumping all over the place...illegal procedures penalties on nearly every series. It's really funny thinking back on it.

12. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,977

Being from close enough to Baltimore to know how fans feel, this isn't a great idea. Perhaps they should have used a player from the Colts first year in Indy. There are a lot of folks here who still remember the owner sneaking the team out of Baltimore in the middle of the night. There is still a lot of resentment. The old Colts are the ones to which many folks from Baltimore still cling.