The Khalil Mack thread -- now a Bear for $155million

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears get: Khalil Mack, a 2020 second-round round pick and a conditional 2020 fifth-round pick.
Raiders get: 2019 first-round pick, 2020 first-round pick, 2020 third-round pick, 2019 sixth-round pick. So Bears get back second-round pick, too

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So the Raiders will be picking first in each of the next 2 years of the draft. :tup:

Edit: Crap, I forgot, in the 2019 Draft, the Packers will be using the Saints first rounder to have the #1 pick of the draft.....get in line Raiders!

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Raiders will be picking first in each of the next 2 years of the draft. :tup:

Edit: Crap, I forgot, in the 2019 Draft, the Packers will be using the Saints first rounder to have the #1 pick of the draft.....get in line Raiders!

On a serious note though, before people get up in arms because "we could have done that", we have to remember that all 1st round picks aren't equal.

Using the last 5 years as a sample, the Bears' pick has been at #9 on average, Packers around #24 on average. Using that estimate it would take 3 #1 picks at 24 PLUS an additional 2nd to equal the value of two #9 overall picks.

Obviously, this isn't an exact science and the Bears are hoping they're about to get better. But there's no question that two 1sts from the Bears is a much more attractive offer than two 1sts from the Packers.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suddenly, There's a real possibility we lose on opening night. I could see Mack setting the single game sack record vs this OL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On a serious note though, before people get up in arms because "we could have done that", we have to remember that all 1st round picks aren't equal.

Using the last 5 years as a sample, the Bears' pick has been at #9 on average, Packers around #24 on average. Using that estimate it would take 3 #1 picks at 24 PLUS an additional 2nd to equal the value of two #9 overall picks.

Obviously, this isn't an exact science and the Bears are hoping they're about to get better. But there's no question that two 1sts from the Bears is a much more attractive offer than two 1sts from the Packers.

Well said and while I have not used the "Draft Trade Value Chart" to figure it all out, I am quite certain the Raiders were and as you said, given the predicted finish of teams wanting Mack, took the best bang for the buck. I mentioned this yesterday, but too many people were assuming that the Packers were the favorite to land Mack, because of their 2 picks in 2019. As we witnessed, those aren't the only first round picks for teams to trade.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The 5th and 6th pretty much cancel each other out so its Mack and a second in 2020 for a first in 2019 a first and a 3rd in 2020. Getting the second rounder back swings the deal in the Bears favor.

Their fans are really going to be impossible to deal with now.

Not even close to swinging it the Bears favor. This is a bad deal for them all for the right to pay a guy 25 million a year

Suddenly, There's a real possibility we lose on opening night. I could see Mack setting the single game sack record vs this OL

I hope this is sarcasm. The Packers STARTING oline is still one of the best units in the league and people really need to stop acting like adding Mack instantly makes a teams pass rush elite. Mack alone doesnt make a pass rush even good... or average... or slightly below average. You still need players around him

Good lord the doom n gloom needs to stop though from some people. The Raiders had one of the leagues worst pass rush's last year, won a whopping 6 games in a weaker division while also having a better QB, with a better Oline, with arguably better weapons at the skill positions and now people are afraid of the Bears because they added Mack from that team?

Hes a great player but come down from the ledge

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord the doom n gloom needs to stop though from some people. The Raiders had one of the leagues worst pass rush's last year, won a whopping 6 games in a weaker division while also having a better QB, with a better Oline, with arguably better weapons at the skill positions and now people are afraid of the Bears because they added Mack from that team?

hope ur right...I don't want to see another super bowl shuffle video. I still have nightmares! seriously, I agree. mack isn't a team player so the chemistry will not be there. hopefully his lack of "team player" carries over to the bears field. He needs to adjust and it will not be the first game against the packs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mack is one of the best five defensive players in the NFL. Does he alone make the Bears better than the Packers? Nope. But he does do a lot to close the gap. Sure woulda been nice for the Packers to swing that trade.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even close to swinging it the Bears favor. This is a bad deal for them all for the right to pay a guy 25 million a year

I hope this is sarcasm. The Packers STARTING oline is still one of the best units in the league and people really need to stop acting like adding Mack instantly makes a teams pass rush elite. Mack alone doesnt make a pass rush even good... or average... or slightly below average. You still need players around him

I'd say Bears D is better than the Raiders D was last year. And it's really a close tie between us vs Vikings without needing a wildcard like Mack in the mix.... Esp given our vulnerable OLine.

Have the Bears become a division title contender? No
Have the Bears ability to screw it up for the Packers? Hell, yes.

Keeping AR12 upright is now not a given.

It's not doom and gloom, but our success path for this season is a hell of a lot harder than it was yesterday.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
either way it goes, aaron has a price on his head now that he is the highest paid qb(heck highest paid players LOL). most defenders will want to get a sack now than ever before! trophy tackles.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
either way it goes, aaron has a price on his head now that he is the highest paid qb(heck highest paid players LOL). most defenders will want to get a sack now than ever before! trophy tackles.

Suh contract didn't change anything. Neither will this.
Kudos to him for holding out for his worth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Bears promptly signed him to a six-year, $141 million contract extension on Saturday, a source informed of the deal told Rapoport. The deal, which is the richest ever for a defensive player, includes $90 million guaranteed with $60 million guaranteed at signing, per Rapoport. He'll receive $155 million over seven years

If the Packers were in the conversation with the Raiders, I am happy that they didn't shell out that kind of money or the draft capital required. Sure, we don't have the highest paid defensive player in the league, but we still have draft resources as well as $23.5M each year to spend on a variety of new and old players as those needs are assessed each year.

Given the fact that he is now a Bear, I am fine with him suffering a non-debilitating injury that makes him decide to just keep his guaranteed money, buy a small island in the tropics and retire a king. :whistling:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree about our starting line but the Bears added more than just Mack but I get it, they are the Bears so none of their moves are ever going to be any good and they will always suck for all of eternity.

As for the affect the addition of Mack will have on the Bears as a team I don't think anyone has said it will instantly make them challengers for the division and I don't think I saw anyone calling them elite. We are just saying they got better, maybe a lot better and will be harder to beat, at least in the short term until the possible negative ramifications set in in a couple of years. Are you telling me you don't think the addition of Kahlil Mack makes the Bears defense better? Because if you are I'll put you on ignore right now because any football credibility you had just flew out the window.

hope ur right...I don't want to see another super bowl shuffle video. I still have nightmares! seriously, I agree. mack isn't a team player so the chemistry will not be there. hopefully his lack of "team player" carries over to the bears field. He needs to adjust and it will not be the first game against the packs.

I have never seen anything that suggests he is not a team player. If you are talking about the holdout that's business. I'll bet every single Bears player is glad he did and is glad to have him as a team mate. I'm reasonably certain he will be on the field next Sunday night. He has one job run at the QB when the ball is snapped. That's pretty much the same job everywhere you go so I doubt he will take much time to adjust. I hope I am wrong though.

I'd say Bears D is better than the Raiders D was last year. And it's really a close tie between us vs Vikings without needing a wildcard like Mack in the mix.... Esp given our vulnerable OLine.

Have the Bears become a division title contender? No
Have the Bears ability to screw it up for the Packers? Hell, yes.

Keeping AR12 upright is now not a given.

It's not doom and gloom, but our success path for this season is a hell of a lot harder than it was yesterday.

Keep in mind they will be playing the vikings twice a year as well. It's not just our success path that got harder. In fact I like Aaron Rodgers' and our starting Oline's chances more than Cousins and the vikings OLine's chances. Note I said starting. I think the team to be most worried in the division should be the Lions. I see them as the cellar dwellers this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess what some are trying (hoping) to say here is....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And Aaron Donald immediately announced he is leaving the Rams facility until they "Cough up a few more bucks to put me on top again" He was heard mumbling as he left "not even a day, Jesus that sucks"

If there is any truth to that, my "giving up the NFL in my life" meter just went up one more tick.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers were in the conversation with the Raiders, I am happy that they didn't shell out that kind of money or the draft capital required. Sure, we don't have the highest paid defensive player in the league, but we still have draft resources as well as $23.5M each year to spend on a variety of new and old players as those needs are assessed each year.

Given the fact that he is now a Bear, I am fine with him suffering a non-debilitating injury that makes him decide to just keep his guaranteed money, buy a small island in the tropics and retire a king. :whistling:

Bad hemorrhoids?

Only when they play the Packers though. Remember they play the vikings twice a year too. It might be kind of nice to see him in there planting Cousins into the ground.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bad hemorrhoids?

Only when they play the Packers though. Remember they play the vikings twice a year too. It might be kind of nice to see him in there planting Cousins into the ground.

You are never going to forget our family reunion and that pickup game are you? I still never understood your comment about those reunions being your favorite place to pick up chicks.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most Matthews was ever paid was was $15 million in 2017, 8.61% of total cap space. Packer currently have 57% dedicated to offense, 40% to defense.

The average annual pay out of Clay Matthews' deal in 2014 was 13.2M. The salary cap in 2014 was 133M. 13.2 is 9.9% of 133. Thus Matthews' average paid 10% of the cap in the year in which he signed it. I'm sorry this doesn't fit with the bizarre narrative that you're trying to forward regarding the Packers.

But that is a good observation regarding the offense-- when you have to pay for the GOAT at QB, an elite left tackle, and an elite WR at the same time, it gets expensive. I wouldn't expect Minnesota fans to understand.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm ok that the Packers didn't make this move, given what it ultimately took to pull off. But good gracious is Gruden going to screw this thing up. Yikes.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The average annual pay out of Clay Matthews' deal in 2014 was 13.2M. The salary cap in 2014 was 133M. 13.2 is 9.9% of 133. Thus Matthews' average paid 10% of the cap in the year in which he signed it. I'm sorry this doesn't fit with the bizarre narrative that you're trying to forward regarding the Packers.

But that is a good observation regarding the offense-- when you have to pay for the GOAT at QB, an elite left tackle, and an elite WR at the same time, it gets expensive. I wouldn't expect Minnesota fans to understand.
Having the GOAT QB don't mean squat if the defense gives up 22 points a game. Hard to win that way. Here's a secret. Over the last 4 years, 2013-2017, the Packers and Vikings have the exact same record. 39-25 Packers have Rodgers, (Granted he missed some games last year) The Viking have had Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford. Packers defense gave up 22.5 ppg, Vikings defense gave up 18.8 ppg during that time. I know, your going to say that Hundley had an effect on those numbers. In Hundley's 7 losses the Packers gave up 26.3 ppg. In his wins, 19.0. Maybe you're paying to much for someone, not enough for the other side of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts