The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brady never mentioned retirement in public that I am aware of

Rodgers has brought it in public and I'm convinced he did to the fo
Yep. It might have been partly a ploy to get a bigger contract at the time, but the Packers have to take those remarks seriously or we’d be in grave danger of kissing away an entire season or two.
I honestly don’t believe we had a happy QB at the time, there was good reason that the bottle of Scotch was so handy.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’ve considered that also. One thing that absolutely helps Rodgers is that his diet is good and he takes care of himself. Even when his physical aspect diminishes some, I think he’ll still be very effective. We are witnessing how we are committed to supplying our QB with a plethora of protection. We’ve drafted more OL in the last couple of years than anytime since the draft rounds were reduced. As long as we protect him, there’s no doubt he can play until 44-45 years old. Unfortunately not every QB wants to play until 45. I think his career retirement over/under is 42yrs old.

That said. We may hit a crossroads before then. Rodger’s mobility/ability will regress in his 40’s. He’s very stubborn and in the near future he will likely want league high money when he drops into that top 10-15 type QB. That’s where he will likely force us to go a different direction. Just a guess.

I hope the quote thing works this time. This refers to OldSchool's post about Rodgers' diet.

I wouldn't want to dispute that Rodgers takes very good care of his body. Just the same, though, I have an extremely low opinion of what "nutritionists" try to get people to eat i.e. make people miserable with. I'm 75 and about as healthy as any 75 year old ever, and I eat PLENTY of all the "wrong" stuff - red meat, processed meat, grease, salt, a ton of sweets of many many kinds, basically whatever I please. I literally NEVER eat vegetables - because I don't like them. Also no raw fruit - I guess maraschino cherries don't count hahahaha. I also load up on dairy products, especially ice cream.

Anyway, about Rodgers, maybe Rodgers' mobility will decrease into his 40s - I wouldn't think even that is a sure thing.

Regarding his being "proud and intelligent", I also wouldn't dispute that at all hahahaha, but I would think that would make him want to solidify his GOAT status even more by outlasting Brady's retirement age.

Regarding money, I really don't believe the mostly media-generated crap about Rodgers being money-grubbing and making unreasonable demands. In fact, his contract is very team-friendly/cap-friendly. I don't see him forcing anything on the team that is gonna harm the team.

As for Rodgers' public comments, I think he's justifiably disgusted with the fake news put out by media pukes, so sometimes maybe he feeds them lines of crap just to make fools of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nobody can make the monkeys dance quite like Rodgers can.
Yes. When you puts “nuts” and monkeys together? The Monkey’s get very excited. Sometimes they even make inappropriate poses and hand gestures

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fixed it for you. ;)
No matter how you look at it, drafting Love wasn't necessary (drafting any QB in the first round wasn't unnecessary. Gluten saw Rodgers in decline. Fair enough. Some of us believed Rodgers had a few solid years ahead of him. We underestimated him too. Looking back, the right move would have been to hold at #30 and take a WR.

Oh well, things don't always work out. Gluten was also trying to put his stamp on the team by bringing in "his guy" at QB.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Looking back, the right move would have been to hold at #30 and take a WR.
Yes...."Looking back"...being the 2 key words, but even had Gute selected a WR, who is to say that WR was a boom or Bust in GB?

Imagine Love not being drafted by the Packers, but by another team and he played pretty good as a starter his second season. Now imagine if Rodgers retired, sat out the season or was traded a year ago. I can see some people saying "Gute should have seen this coming after the 2018 and 2019 seasons, why didn't he draft that Love guy, look what he's doing in.........and we could have had him at 30...man Gute is an idiot!"

D

Deleted member 6794

We get more for him trading him sooner than later - probably.

I don't believe any team will be interested in offering a decent deal to trade for Love next offseason either.

Bottom line for this season, though, is that I trust Benkert as the backup at least as much as Love.

The Packers released Benkert this week.
Yes...."Looking back"...being the 2 key words, but even had Gute selected a WR, who is to say that WR was a boom or Bust in GB?

Imagine Love not being drafted by the Packers, but by another team and he played pretty good as a starter his second season. Now imagine if Rodgers retired, sat out the season or was traded a year ago. I can see some people saying "Gute should have seen this coming after the 2018 and 2019 seasons, why didn't he draft that Love guy, look what he's doing in.........and we could have had him at 30...man Gute is an idiot!"

There it's once again, you justifying the selection of Love solely using "What ifs".

Reaction score
Had the Packers not drafted a QB in 2020 in a do over . I think the odds of drafting a WR in 2020 were unfavorable. It would have been totally out of character going WR when going back and surveying the draft. We also didn’t in 2021 or 2022. We went D

Can anyone tell me how many years Brian has been in GB?? How many WR have we drafted during that time before Round 2.

Then count how many Defense on day 1 ??

It’s not our MO to go WR early and it’s really wishful thinking to assume we would’ve went that direction. Odds were 4:1 against it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't believe any team will be interested in offering a decent deal to trade for Love next offseason either.

The Packers released Benkert this week.

There it's once again, you justifying the selection of Love solely using "What ifs".
I guess for someone to justify a different selection, they too would be playing the "what if game", correct? So what is your point? Please don't give me the same line of "no matter who they selected, that player would have contributed more than Love." That still requires speculation on your part.

D

Deleted member 6794

Had the Packers not drafted a QB in 2020 in a do over . I think the odds of drafting a WR in 2020 were unfavorable. It would have been totally out of character going WR when going back and surveying the draft. We also didn’t in 2021 or 2022. We went D

Can anyone tell me how many years Brian has been in GB?? How many WR have we drafted during that time before Round 2.

Then count how many Defense on day 1 ??

It’s not our MO to go WR early and it’s really wishful thinking to assume we would’ve went that direction. Odds were 4:1 against it

I guess for someone to justify a different selection, they too would be playing the "what if game", correct? So what is your point? Please don't give me the same line of "no matter who they selected, that player would have contributed more than Love." That still requires speculation on your part.

There's no guarantee the Packers having selected a different player than Love would have worked out better. As you mentioned in the past they could have drafted Isaiah Wilson instead which would have been much worse.

But taking a look at the players selected after Love until the end of the second round it's highly probable the Packers would have come away with a more productive player.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But taking a look at the players selected after Love until the end of the second round it's highly probable the Packers would have come away with a more productive player.
Again...that takes speculation on your part. First, on who the Packers would have taken and second, if that player that maybe panned out in say Pittsburgh, has the same experience in Green Bay. Now if you want to factor in hindsight and today say "Man, I wish the Packers would have drafted Chase Claypool instead of Love." Your point would be a lot more valid, but still no guarantees Claypool plays a snap in GB or is as productive either. Things can change daily for all of us and as your situation changes, the variable influencing your life change as well (Butterfly effect). Do you think Henry Ruggs is in jail today if a team other than the Raiders drafts him? Maybe Rodgers waits a few extra seconds for Claypool to clear his route and gets blindsided and tears his ACL. We just don't know how the change form picking Love to Claypool effects the outcomes we have seen to this point.

So if you were to ask me today "How do you think the Love pick has turned out for the Packers so far?" I would answer "So far, it would appear that they would have been better off drafting Claypool or Higgins, but ask me again in a year or 2, I will have more information."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again...that takes speculation on your part. First, on who the Packers would have taken and second, if that player that maybe panned out in say Pittsburgh, has the same experience in Green Bay. Now if you want to factor in hindsight and today say "Man, I wish the Packers would have drafted Chase Claypool instead of Love." Your point would be a lot more valid, but still no guarantees Claypool plays a snap in GB or is as productive either. Things can change daily for all of us and as your situation changes, the variable influencing your life change as well (Butterfly effect). Do you think Henry Ruggs is in jail today if a team other than the Raiders drafts him? Maybe Rodgers waits a few extra seconds for Claypool to clear his route and gets blindsided and tears his ACL. We just don't know how the change form picking Love to Claypool effects the outcomes we have seen to this point.

So if you were to ask me today "How do you think the Love pick has turned out for the Packers so far?" I would answer "So far, it would appear that they would have been better off drafting Claypool or Higgins, but ask me again in a year or 2, I will have more information."

It takes very little speculation to assume a different first round prospect would have contributed more than a guy who was inactive his first season and only played when Rodgers was out of the game in his second. The entire pro-Love pick argument hinges on the assumption that he will be good at some point in the future. How come you get to argue about predicting the future but others can't point out that a different player (probably at a position of need) would have contributed more than a QB who has thrown a total of 62 passes in two seasons?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How come you get to argue about predicting the future but others can't point out that a different player (probably at a position of need) would have contributed more than a QB who has thrown a total of 62 passes in two seasons?
You confuse "predicting the future" with "explaining the process of what can happen in the future." I and nobody else I have seen on here have predicted that Love will be a HOF QB with the Packers or for any other team.

So go ahead and keep using your silly rear view mirror arguments that the Packers should have drafted Tee Higgens or Claypool. That assertion is as silly as me saying "Had Rodgers gotten injured in 2020, Love would have taken over and by the end of the season playing so well, allowed the Packers to cut ties with Rodgers."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You confuse "predicting the future" with "explaining the process of what can happen in the future." I and nobody else I have seen on here have predicted that Love will be a HOF QB with the Packers or for any other team.

So go ahead and keep using your silly rear view mirror arguments that the Packers should have drafted Tee Higgens or Claypool. That assertion is as silly as me saying "Had Rodgers gotten injured in 2020, Love would have taken over and by the end of the season playing so well, allowed the Packers to cut ties with Rodgers."

Must be nice to support a position in which nobody is allowed to point out that X player would have been a better pick because we can't look in the rearview. Not sure how you propose evaluating GM performance but it's gotta be exciting!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has gotten to be too much LOL. You can't say "what if" about things that have already happened, but I can explain the process of what can happen in the future because it's totally not even the same thing LOL

Speculation is speculation and it's totally legal on a message board. My thoughts on Love haven't changed hardly at all since he was picked. If he turns out to be really good or better it was a good pick. If he doesn't, what a waste.

But to sit and say one can "explain the process" of how things might be in the future but someone else can't show you how it hasn't paid any dividends by what has already happened is pretty rich.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Must be nice to support a position in which nobody is allowed to point out that X player would have been a better pick because we can't look in the rearview. Not sure how you propose evaluating GM performance but it's gotta be exciting!
Lol...now we are evaluating GM's? :roflmao: :roflmao:

What you continue to fail to recognize is that nobody has argued against the notion that 2 years after the fact, Gute would have probably been better off drafting someone else. It's just that most of us don't live in fantasyland and aren't basing the discussion from the standpoint of someone who does.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol...now we are evaluating GM's? :roflmao: :roflmao:

What you continue to fail to recognize is that nobody has argued against the notion that 2 years after the fact, Gute would have probably been better off drafting someone else. It's just that most of us don't live in fantasyland and aren't basing the discussion from the standpoint of someone who does.

That's fine. I just don't understand how anyone can evaluate a draft pick if people aren't supposed to go back and see what the GM could have done compared to what they did. E.g., if the GM trades multiple picks for a draft choice, are we not supposed to look at what the GM gave up by foregoing those traded draft picks? Cause if that's the case, then any GM that trades multiple picks for one productive player (Mike Ditka for example) is going to look AMAZING. To be clear, my confusion lies in the "you can't look back" when evaluating a GM.

Forget Love, am I forbidden from mentioning that Gute passed on a much better center in Creed Humphrey when he drafted Josh Myers (I'm not saying Myers is bad, just that Humphrey is already one of the five best centers in the league)?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's fine. I just don't understand how anyone can evaluate a draft pick if people aren't supposed to go back and see what the GM could have done compared to what they did. E.g., if the GM trades multiple picks for a draft choice, are we not supposed to look at what the GM gave up by foregoing those traded draft picks? Cause if that's the case, then any GM that trades multiple picks for one productive player (Mike Ditka for example) is going to look AMAZING. To be clear, my confusion lies in the "you can't look back" when evaluating a GM.

Forget Love, am I forbidden from mentioning that Gute passed on a much better center in Creed Humphrey when he drafted Josh Myers (I'm not saying Myers is bad, just that Humphrey is already one of the five best centers in the league)?
The problem with doing what you are doing and that you don't seem to understand, is that you are using hindsight to make your "evaluations". Not to mention that you are making the assumption that everything else remains constant.

Like I said, keep playing the what if and would have, should have games if that is what cranks your tractor.

Yes, the Love pick will eventually be evaluated, when he leaves Green Bay. But some people like yourself are trying to do that prematurely by inserting "had Gute only done this" examples and inserting what they think would have been a much better player (with 2022 info, not 2020). Problem is, Love has another 2 years in Green Bay, so the process is only halfway done. We're you evaluating Rodgers after year 2? The other problem with your method, you are guessing at what that change does. I can tell you with 100% positivity that the Packers are not the same team if say Chase Claypool is drafted instead of Love. They could have been better or they could have been the same or they could have been worse.

I'll be excited and willing to evaluate the Love pick, in its entirety, when Love is no longer a Packer.

Reaction score
There's no guarantee the Packers having selected a different player than Love would have worked out better. As you mentioned in the past they could have drafted Isaiah Wilson instead which would have been much worse.

True. But you could have argued that with any number of starting QB’s who got drafted and sat, only to go on and produce more value wise than every Later Day 1 selection in their draft, Combined.

That’s called using both hindsight and future projection combined. Which is an extremist fans interpretation of events in order to suit their own desires.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just mind numbing

should really lock this thread ... sosdd
I don’t think anything either Captain or myself has debated (or others that have chimed in) has crossed any boundaries other than our incessant protections of our positions (that was meant to be sarcastic!)
However I will drop the argument from my side if I see any other responses from him concerning Love
No reason to punish the entire forum for our lengthy debate Becoming annoying :cry:

Plus we need a thread to track his TD totals this preseason :tup:

PS. I love you @captainWIMM. This bickering debating has prepared me for future battles :roflmao:
I shall digress

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No reason to punish the entire forum for our lengthy debate Becoming annoying :cry:
The good news, people that decide to read it, are only punishing themselves, if that is how they view it. Personally, I find it entertaining and rather comical. I've enjoyed the back and forth with both Captain and Sunshine.

What I find most amusing are the ***hats that want to throw their two cents in, chide those in the debate for being so and then attempt to tell them why they are wrong. Where I come from, we have names for people like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts