The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't go so far as to say it that way but if they agree to a multi year extension for Rodgers to bring him back I would be fine with moving on from Love as well. He is no longer a draft pick he is a player and if he is no longer in the plans so be it. Sometimes the worst thing teams do is hold onto someone just because of what they have invested in them. Using a first round pick on Love is a sunk cost. It doesn't matter anymore. The only thing that matters is the present and the future.
You make good points. The only thing I will say is that none of us know what Love can be. I don't think you turn away from him because you signed an old man to a contract. But maybe you keep looking. Another draft pick? How would you like that?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is absolutely the Draft to get a Jordan Love replaceme....err competitor.

I think Rodgers has an inside shot at MVP, if he wins 2 straight I would definitely favor flipping Love for whatever we can get, which right now is probably a 4th at best.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The value (or lack of) of the Love pick will never be fully understood. IMO the pick got Rodgers back on track. He had been regressing. His 1st year with MLF he still wanted to play AR ball. Love gets drafted and all of a sudden he buys into the MLF system and puts up a historical year. This year he is helping carry a MASH unit of a squad. To me not just coincidence.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make good points. The only thing I will say is that none of us know what Love can be. I don't think you turn away from him because you signed an old man to a contract. But maybe you keep looking. Another draft pick? How would you like that?
I agree,. I'm not saying you automatically move on from Love if Rodgers gets an extension. Even though what they have invested in him shouldn't be a primary factor in keeping him it does have value. He has years of familiarity with the system and I don't think anyone really knows what he can do so I have no problem if they hold onto him. I would have no problem with another QB drafted either. I'd prefer it not be a first rounder though.

The value (or lack of) of the Love pick will never be fully understood. IMO the pick got Rodgers back on track. He had been regressing. His 1st year with MLF he still wanted to play AR ball. Love gets drafted and all of a sudden he buys into the MLF system and puts up a historical year. This year he is helping carry a MASH unit of a squad. To me not just coincidence.
You may be right. If drafting Love gave Rodgers an incentive to push his game to an MVP season and another where he is in the running that has to be worth something. Of course, like you said, it is something we will never know.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally … I lean more toward coincidence. As you said it was his second year in a new system. I would have expected the whole team including Rodgers to improve under those circumstances.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with it as the Packers shouldn't have used that towel on Love in the first place.
It was only several years back that the Vikings axed their new kicker after WK # 2 when he missed big time against us including a chip shot in OT that forced a tie. So then they sign Dan Bailey who had tremendous numbers at one time in Dallas and he falls apart the next season. We have been fortunate over the last 30 years to have Chris Jacke, Ryan Longwell, and Crosby. The question is when is it time to go?

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers sign Rodgers to an extension next offseason that all but guarantees Love won't start for them until after his rookie contract has expired. In that case I definitely prefer the team moving on from him and draft another quarterback to be Rodgers' eventual successor down the road. Don't use a first rounder doing that though.

I agree with swhitset that Love most likely had nothing to do with Rodgers performing at an MVP level in his second season in the system.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jordan Love was put on the Reserve Covid list today.

Will make practice interesting. Benkert is going to get a ton of work.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fully expect a Bortles resigning to Practice Squad as well.
Bortles might as well just live in Green Bay. At this point, he might even be the better option in the event that Rodgers gets knocked out during a game. Definitely a better option than Benkert and the way Love looked against the Chiefs, probably my pick to come in due to his vast NFL experience.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully there wasn’t an outbreak in the locker room. With the new variant, I’m concerned that Rodgers could get reinfected.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully there wasn’t an outbreak in the locker room. With the new variant, I’m concerned that Rodgers could get reinfected.
Players were all test as they returned from their bye-break...shouldn't be rampant throughout position groups or locker room as they've all been away for a week.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Players were all test as they returned from their bye-break...shouldn't be rampant throughout position groups or locker room as they've all been away for a week.
I have to wonder if players are more prone to getting covid during a bye week. Being in Green Bay or traveling to an away game is probably more isolating than the type of travel some may do during their time off.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? We still have 2 QB's active and a available. Both AR & Benkert we're out a month ago leaving GB with only Love.
Either could test positive clear up until last tests. It would be ignorant not to

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either could test positive clear up until last tests. It would be ignorant not to
By that thinking GB should run out and sign 2 more DL's, a CB and another RB because the guys on our roster could test positive Thursday after being away from each other for a week. C'mon man!!! 2 QB's is one more than we really need.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG, really? How many games has Aaron Rodgers started and not finished over the last 15 years? 2!! 2014 & 2017 with broken collarbones. I'd be willing to wager any 1 person $100 that IF Rodgers starts this game against the Bears he'll finish it healthy (hopefully the #2 plays last series or 2 due to the 21+ point lead). I lose the wager IF Benkert needs to injury replace AR for the remainder of the game.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
OMG, really? How many games has Aaron Rodgers started and not finished over the last 15 years? 2!! 2014 & 2017 with broken collarbones. I'd be willing to wager any 1 person $100 that IF Rodgers starts this game against the Bears he'll finish it healthy (hopefully the #2 plays last series or 2 due to the 21+ point lead).
Well....now that you jinxed it......we really need Bortles. :coffee:

I'm probably wrong or they would have kept him when Rodgers finally committed to playing, but I'd prefer having a vet backup like Bortles, than Love at this point in a potential Super Bowl season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team always has had three QBs between PS and active. It is an asinine approach to do otherwise. How many NFL teams have solely two QBs in house on their entire roster inclusive of PS?

I have not researched each one, but I’d be SHOCKED if there is one given Covid time we operate in . Again, you don’t do this in fear of starting Bortles, chances are less than 1% he sees a snap, but Rodgers tests positive later this week you are literally entering a game with Cobb as your backup QB

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By that thinking GB should run out and sign 2 more DL's, a CB and another RB because the guys on our roster could test positive Thursday after being away from each other for a week. C'mon man!!! 2 QB's is one more than we really need.
Um….I think you need to review the PS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll do it for you

Practice Squad has others but includes
2 DL
3 DBs (1 CB and 2 S)
1 RB

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, you don’t do this in fear of starting Bortles, chances are less than 1% he sees a snap, but Rodgers tests positive later this week you are literally entering a game with Cobb as your backup QB

Per this AR won't be tested for a 90 days, so I highly doubt he'll test positive later this week. Try again, Charlie. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts