The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They could get a vet type QB back in a Rodgers trade. Any chance the Etling signing means they keep him another week and he runs the scout team (as Lamar) in prep for the Ravens?
I don't think Etling was much of an option type QB at Purdue or LSU so him running the scout team like a Lamar Jackson would, might be a stretch. His stats bare that out.

201 rushes 70 yards .3 yd average

Then again Benkert was even worse:

130 rushes -134 yards -1 yd ave.

Love would be the preferential guy to do that, since he at least has some success running the ball in college. I just don't know when he will be available again.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the stats. I had read that Etling had spent a pre-season in N.E. as a WR so I thought maybe he was athletic enough.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Etling was much of an option type QB at Purdue or LSU so him running the scout team like a Lamar Jackson would, might be a stretch. His stats bare that out.

Love would be the preferential guy to do that, since he at least has some success running the ball in college. I just don't know when he will be available again.

He would be the most capable QB to do so some could argue though presently on our roster.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If Rodgers is traded, I think that will be/should be accompanied by the shedding of quite a bit of cap heavy players as well. Maybe not a full rebuild mode, but darn near. The Packers have some good young players to rebuild with and if they can land a few high draft picks for Rodgers, even better to try and speed up the rebuild with. I just don't expect Love to be the immediate answer and having a vet behind him, will at least keep fans from throwing in the towel if Love struggles right out of the gate.
I'd be really disappointed if Gutekunst ever made any moves with the idea of keeping fans from throwing in the towel. That seems to me to be pure foolishness.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd be really disappointed if Gutekunst ever made any moves with the idea of keeping fans from throwing in the towel. That seems to me to be pure foolishness.
You must be too young to remember the Packers in the 80's.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be too young to remember the Packers in the 80's.
What keeps most fans from throwing in the towel is winning. Gute needs to concentrate on fielding the best team possible to do that and not worry about what the fans are doing with their laundry.

D

Deleted member 6794

Etling is a bit of a surprise, given that he hasn't seemed to be able to even get on a 53 man NFL roster since he was drafted in the 7th round in 2018. Even failing this year to do so with the BC Bears of the CFL.

Honestly, I'm not surprised Etling wasn't able to make it with a rugby team :sneaky:

I'm not married to the idea of Bortles for next season either, but I do think if Rodgers is gone, the Packers would be wise to try and sign a cheap veteran like Bortles to compete with/back-up Love. Imagine opening the season up with Love-Benkert-Etling

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree the Packers would need to bring in a veteran quarterback if they move on from Rodgers next offseason. I don't believe Bortles should be the one though.

With sacks being counting as negative rushing yards in college it's kind of tricky to fairly evaluate rushing numbers for quarterbacks. It's pretty obvious neither Etling nor Benkert were huge threats as a runner though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not surprised Etling wasn't able to make it with a rugby team :sneaky:
LOL....Lions...Tigers....Bears....Oh my! Looks like I messed that one up. :)

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree the Packers would need to bring in a veteran quarterback if they move on from Rodgers next offseason. I don't believe Bortles should be the one though.
Right, but how much are you willing to spend on a Vet QB? We are going to be tight against the cap, I wouldn't want the Packers to spend what some teams spend on a backup QB, especially if the plan on going all in with Love.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....Lions...Tigers....Bears....Oh my! Looks like I messed that one up. :)

Right, but how much are you willing to spend on a Vet QB? We are going to be tight against the cap, I wouldn't want the Packers to spend what some teams spend on a backup QB, especially if the plan on going all in with Love.

Eh, there's always that sub $2M range guys like Glennon, McCoy, Chase Daniel, Rosen, Driskoll, Barkley, McCarron types....we'd have an attractive option in GB post-Rodgers for a veteran to come to knowing Rookie QB's can STRUGGLE and they wiggle into a role and maybe another contract. A Minshew, Tyrod Taylor even bringing Boyle back are options that would be attractive

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Eh, there's always that sub $2M range guys like Glennon, McCoy, Chase Daniel, Rosen, Driskoll, Barkley, McCarron types....we'd have an attractive option in GB post-Rodgers for a veteran to come to knowing Rookie QB's can STRUGGLE and they wiggle into a role and maybe another contract. A Minshew, Tyrod Taylor even bringing Boyle back are options that would be attractive
I definitely would not want to bring Boyle back, he has less experience than Love. I was shocked to see that the Lions paid him $2.5 M....but then again, they are the Lions.

There seems to be a few levels of veteran QB's available and their range of salaries are somewhat reflected in their past successes/expectations. I think which one you choose to try and sign will depend a bit on what type of expectations you have for your team that season. Are you looking for a guy that might be able to lead you to the playoffs or just a guy to keep you somewhat competitive if your first choice fails?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely would not want to bring Boyle back, he has less experience than Love. I was shocked to see that the Lions paid him $2.5 M....but then again, they are the Lions.

There seems to be a few levels of veteran QB's available and their range of salaries are somewhat reflected in their past successes/expectations. I think which one you choose to try and sign will depend a bit on what type of expectations you have for your team that season. Are you looking for a guy that might be able to lead you to the playoffs or just a guy to keep you somewhat competitive if your first choice fails?

With our Cap issues our veteran backup would most likely fall in the emergency floatation device realm. We are not signing a "could lead us to playoff wins" type most likely. You're looking for a game manager that you might be able to win with should we be very efficient and the defense does well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With our Cap issues our veteran backup would most likely fall in the emergency floatation device realm. We are not signing a "could lead us to playoff wins" type most likely. You're looking for a game manager that you might be able to win with should we be very efficient and the defense does well.
Agreed, which again brings me back to making sure you have someone who can at least keep people in their seats. If Love struggles, I doubt Benkert is going to come in and light it up. Sadly, you become the Chicago Bears for awhile and just try to win with an Andy Dalton at QB and a decent defense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, which again brings me back to making sure you have someone who can at least keep people in their seats. If Love struggles, I doubt Benkert is going to come in and light it up. Sadly, you become the Chicago Bears for awhile and just try to win with an Andy Dalton at QB and a decent defense.

Which is again one reason why I'm paying VERY close attention to the second tier of QBs in this draft. Who could be the Dak or Russ gem from Day 2. Chances are if it is Love's season to take, means Gute got a trade done one Rodgers (forced or by choice) which should result in draft equity...and with QB being SUCH A PIVOTAL spot I'd not be opposed to him targeting a Top 60 or 90 pick at the position as well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which is again one reason why I'm paying VERY close attention to the second tier of QBs in this draft. Who could be the Dak or Russ gem from Day 2. Chances are if it is Love's season to take, means Gute got a trade done one Rodgers (forced or by choice) which should result in draft equity...and with QB being SUCH A PIVOTAL spot I'd not be opposed to him targeting a Top 60 or 90 pick at the position as well.
While I understand the logic behind that, it will put you into the bind of possibly carrying 3 QB's on the 53 man roster, which for a rebuilding team, I wouldn't be in favor of it. That is, unless you are fine with Love and your rookie on the active roster and a no name on your practice squad. Very difficult to carry 2 project QB's, but it can be done.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand the logic behind that, it will put you into the bind of possibly carrying 3 QB's on the 53 man roster, which for a rebuilding team, I wouldn't be in favor of it. That is, unless you are fine with Love and your rookie on the active roster and a no name on your practice squad. Very difficult to carry 2 project QB's, but it can be done.

I fully expect without a HOF veteran manning our #1 spot we keep three on active. I know I would.

D

Deleted member 6794

I definitely wouldn't want the Packers to spend a whole lot of money on a veteran backup either. With that being said there will most likely be a cheap one available who presents an upgrade over Bortles.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't want the Packers to spend a whole lot of money on a veteran backup either. With that being said there will most likely be a cheap one available who presents an upgrade over Bortles.
Yet, they brought in Bortles this season just in case Rodgers wasn't going to play. Turns out so far, they haven't had to rely on anyone but Rodgers and Love.

That said, it is hard to debate that there wouldn't be better options than Bortles, but he does offer up some positives. First, he is now probably pretty familiar with the Packer offense, bringing in a new QB will take some time getting him up to speed. Second, Bortles comes cheap, for a team without much cap space that is a plus. Third, I don't think it would matter if the Packers spent $1.075M on Bortles or $8 M on Nick Foles, neither are probably going to be good enough to take the Packers too far.

The Packers 2022 season hinges on what happens with Aaron Rodgers. If he is a Packer, it will take some tough cap decisions, but I think the Packers can remain very competitive. No Rodgers in 2022, coupled with some other big names being lost to the cap, I think the Packers will struggle until Love or another QB becomes average or better. I do think that MLF has the offense to a point where replacing Rodgers with a less skilled QB, won't be such a steep drop off as we saw under McCarthy when Rodgers was hurt. But the KC game with Love at QB this year, might be a good preview as to how things will go for awhile post Rodgers.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember similar talk when Favre left. Was Rodgers good enough etc...now I am NOT saying Love is the next great thing but until he has had a lot more game time we , as fans, have no idea how good he is or can be. The coaches see the players day in day out & they should know how ready any player is to start & how easily the player listens & responds to the coaches.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I remember similar talk when Favre left. Was Rodgers good enough etc...now I am NOT saying Love is the next great thing but until he has had a lot more game time we , as fans, have no idea how good he is or can be. The coaches see the players day in day out & they should know how ready any player is to start & how easily the player listens & responds to the coaches.
No doubt and while I haven't given up on Jordan Love by any means, I also know that based on the preseason and the KC game, he has a long way to go in his development. Given that, I think its fair to assume that the Packers will have some growing pains ahead of them once Rodgers is gone. Will they go from a 13-3 team to a 6-10 team and then right back to an 11-5 team like what happened when the switch was made from Favre to Rodgers? I wouldn't put money on it. I think Loves development is more than 1 season away. The Cap situation won't help either.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the changeover at QB is critical. Is Love the man after Rodgers? I have no idea all I can do is hope he is & if he isn't we can find someone better?

Too important a position.Similar to a centre forward/striker in soccer. Great QB play gets points & points win games. Same as soccer goals win games.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt and while I haven't given up on Jordan Love by any means, I also know that based on the preseason and the KC game, he has a long way to go in his development. Given that, I think its fair to assume that the Packers will have some growing pains ahead of them once Rodgers is gone. Will they go from a 13-3 team to a 6-10 team and then right back to an 11-5 team like what happened when the switch was made from Favre to Rodgers? I wouldn't put money on it. I think Loves development is more than 1 season away. The Cap situation won't help either.
I guarantee you a Jordan Love led GB team will not go 6-10 and then follow that up with an 11-5 record.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee you a Jordan Love led GB team will not go 6-10 and then follow that up with an 11-5 record.
What does that guarantee entail? If they do what do we get? How about if they do you send everyone who signs up below $100.00.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does that guarantee entail? If they do what do we get? How about if they do you send everyone who signs up below $100.00.
You beat me to it. :) Guarantee implies some kind of reimbursement if the parameters aren't met.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem. Just you 2 and Pokerbrat 2000 since he was the original poster.

D

Deleted member 6794

That said, it is hard to debate that there wouldn't be better options than Bortles, but he does offer up some positives. First, he is now probably pretty familiar with the Packer offense, bringing in a new QB will take some time getting him up to speed. Second, Bortles comes cheap, for a team without much cap space that is a plus. Third, I don't think it would matter if the Packers spent $1.075M on Bortles or $8 M on Nick Foles, neither are probably going to be good enough to take the Packers too far.

I think a veteran backup quarterback being signed at the start of the league year would have as much knowledge of the Packers' scheme pretty soon as Bortles actually only spent two months with the team during the offseason and was released before the start of camp and only spent another 11 days with the team during the regular season.

Just to clarify, I definitely don't want the Packers to spend anywhere close to $8 million on a backup QB. In my opinion there should be better options than Bortles available for a reasonable price tag.

You beat me to it. :) Guarantee implies some kind of reimbursement if the parameters aren't met.

I guess Schultz was referring to the Packers playing 17 games from now on, guaranteeing they won't finish 6-10 or 11-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts