The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I read a fine quote that kind of explains what I saw...

Spags is kind of a junk-ball pitcher. His blitz packages are easily (relatively) picked apart by a vet, but a guy making his first start...ick. Between the poor line play (Lucas Patrick, WTF dude) and Love not having the experience to find the hot man, adjust protections, etc, it turned into a jailbreak.

It sure looked like cover-0 was called more than cover-2/man-2. Against a vet, damn near any vet, that turns into a route for the offense.
I have no idea what your "football background is", but if the average Packer fan knows that the way to beat a young and inexperienced QB is exactly what Spagnuolo did yesterday, then MLF and the Packers should have prepared their game plan around it. Maybe they did and Love still couldn't handle it. Personally, I think the O line looked worse than Love at times. Or at least disappointed me more than Love did.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's what i've been saying for a long time, our QB (rodgers) makes our Oline look better than it is. Too many times a game someone on the inside especially is getting ran past like they aren't even on the field and that's only part of the problem.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it's what i've been saying for a long time, our QB (rodgers) makes our Oline look better than it is. Too many times a game someone on the inside especially is getting ran past like they aren't even on the field and that's only part of the problem.
Agreed. He makes the whole offense look better, including the receivers. It is why the Packers have gotten away for so many years without heavily investing draft choices or big free agent money into the offense. Yes, I know about Jimmy G and Mo. B

Reaction score
I have noticed that MLF likes to use the sidelines more than I remember under MM. Maybe I am just using selective memory? I feel the same way as you do, but possibly one of the reasons why, is it doesn't require as good of route running as going up the middle. Not to pick on some of our WR's, but many of them aren't known for their great route running abilities. Also, I think with a young QB like Love, MLF didn't want to see balls off target in the middle of the field, which present a better opportunity to intercept, than a poor thrown one alone the sidelines.
And that would be fine and it makes sense. I guess it was a catch 22.
Jordan never had the time to throw deep 1 on 1 with 5-7 rushing. He had like 2.3 sec before he was being attacked.

I also didn’t like that play where the KC defender drove Jordan to the ground. 90% of the time they call that roughing the passer. They let them play so to speak.
yes. That goes for TE and WR also. Rodgers covers their deficiencies to a degree. Rodgers accuracy and prowess buying time pads their stats to a degree.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what your "football background is", but if the average Packer fan knows that the way to beat a young and inexperienced QB is exactly what Spagnuolo did yesterday, then MLF and the Packers should have prepared their game plan around it. Maybe they did and Love still couldn't handle it. Personally, I think the O line looked worse than Love at times. Or at least disappointed me more than Love did.

I'd like to think I have an above average background, but I'm sure most people think the same.

I do agree that the O-Line did Love zero favors. Patrick looked like Love defaulted on a loan and he was sending a message--BOTH KNEECAPS!

And yeah, Spagnuolo did the textbook thing against a young quarterback, I'm just disappointed we couldn't run a slat/hook/something for 4-7 yards in the middle of the field.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd like to think I have an above average background, but I'm sure most people think the same.

I do agree that the O-Line did Love zero favors. Patrick looked like Love defaulted on a loan and he was sending a message--BOTH KNEECAPS!

And yeah, Spagnuolo did the textbook thing against a young quarterback, I'm just disappointed we couldn't run a slat/hook/something for 4-7 yards in the middle of the field.
Agree and I wasn't questioning your football knowledge ;) Just pointing out that I would hope that before every game MLF says to himself "Ok, if I was the opposing DC, what would I do to defend our particular offense this week?" Basically, if what Spag did surprised MLF, he learned a lesson he should have known years ago.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Love your analogy

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically, if what Spag did surprised MLF, he learned a lesson he should have known years ago.

Heh, I guess my point isn't that MLF didn't have a plan, it's just that Spags is kind of like "store brand mad scientist" defensive coordinator.

He can draw up a lot of exotic looks, overloads, and whatnot, but a lot of it can and/is worked around by a vet because there is a degree of un-soundness to his packages. Not that I saw this or suggest he's THIS NUTS, but imagine sending both safeties and one corner, while the WLB takes the deep middle and the NT handles the flat. A 2nd year starter will should be able to just ignore it punish you, but a 1st start QB will get out-thinked by the sheer absurdity of it all.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also didn’t like that play where the KC defender drove Jordan to the ground. 90% of the time they call that roughing the passer. They let them play so to speak.
Yeah, I agree. He fell full body on him. Did not have to. I was looking for a flag and thinking they would have called that on Clay Mathews.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MLF did own the game plan in his PG conference and at least one JSO writer panned MLFs plan as well.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No one has a higher opinion of their football knowledge than shoutbox participants.

Ahem yeah I think you are one of the more knowledgeable forum posters, take that compliment with a grain of salt because we are a hive of idiocy.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No one has a higher opinion of their football knowledge than shoutbox participants.

Ahem yeah I think you are one of the more knowledgeable forum posters, take that compliment with a grain of salt because we are a hive of idiocy.
I think some of the shoutbox participants are using that salt for tequila shots.

Reaction score

Speak for yourself you.. you Queen Bee!j/k (/=er)

I actually to go shoutbox and arbitrarily throw in remarks that are inflammatory after each bad play. It’s the only place I can let off steam and fit right in under the radar without having to apologize to anyone. I definitely don’t feel remorse

It’s bordering on therapeutic.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, I guess my point isn't that MLF didn't have a plan, it's just that Spags is kind of like "store brand mad scientist" defensive coordinator.

He can draw up a lot of exotic looks, overloads, and whatnot, but a lot of it can and/is worked around by a vet because there is a degree of un-soundness to his packages. Not that I saw this or suggest he's THIS NUTS, but imagine sending both safeties and one corner, while the WLB takes the deep middle and the NT handles the flat. A 2nd year starter will should be able to just ignore it punish you, but a 1st start QB will get out-thinked by the sheer absurdity of it all.
Spags said early in the week that when you are facing the unknown you coach the scheme. MLF was not going to put any surprises or add in plays. Love knows only our scheme not another. So if Rodgers were there he may line up the same way but if you think he would bring the house as much no way. That is the most the Chiefs blitzed in years and it made sense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Spags said early in the week that when you are facing the unknown you coach the scheme. MLF was not going to put any surprises or add in plays. Love knows only our scheme not another. So if Rodgers were there he may line up the same way but if you think he would bring the house as much no way. That is the most the Chiefs blitzed in years and it made sense.

And while the offensive line had some bad one-on-one losses, you also had the problem of Love trying to set protections. He doesn't have Rodgers' brain at the LOS.

ctfxcwatcher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So true

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The situation is different. With AR ability against the blitz, teams don't use that too often. Saw a stat somewhere saying last time OLine faced this many blitzes was ARs return game from shoulder injury back in 2017.

In this situation it was blatantly obvious that we'd run more than pass (which we did all 1q) and Chiefs will blitz (which they did all game).

No OLine can handle this since out game plan was not balanced. Lack of preparation, I suppose!

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KC has one of the worst defenses in the league. Week 1 coming into a new season vs playing for a 7-1 team who is getting healthier with a VERRY GOOD defense... The differences are astronomical. It's so lazy to post stats without context because Love should have had 3INTs and his longest play was a duck thrown in the middle of the field which was a terrible awful throw that Cobb bailed him out on

We saw flashes from Rodgers against the Cowboys and why we decided to go in the direction that we did after Favre.
New Orleans had one of the worst defenses on paper (still do) week 1, yet a guaranteed Hall of Famer could do NOTHING against them. He should have had at least 3 interceptions, and would have if New Orleans was a good defense.

Rodgers had over 2 FULL seasons under Favre without a pandemic and with contact practice - and much more practice (when that was still a thing).

I hope you will understand my point. And no, it isn't to say Love is or ever will be better than Rodgers

Reaction score
Ahh, the Love Love thread.
I'm a Washington fan, and we've had to put up with a lot of growing pains at QB, so I know the frustration with Love not living up to expectations in his first game. But I'm not judging him. I know it's just one game. And there's plenty of time for him to develop.
Do you Green Bay fans remember how Rodgers fared, in his first few games taking over for Favre ?
Did he start out slow or fast ?

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Rogers play back in 2008. He was very raw but he learnt & , hopefully, Love will learn & become our franchise QB

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody can make any long-term determinations of Love's career after only one game. I can say that I saw nothing to indicate Love was some amazing prospect that was worth trading up in the first round for when the team already had an amazing QB but I'm not going to say he can't BECOME that. He was not very accurate and he either couldn't read the defense or he didn't know what a hot read was (kind of standard for young QB's early in their career). Either way, it's obvious why the Packers REALLY want Rodgers to stick around.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New Orleans had one of the worst defenses on paper (still do) week 1, yet a guaranteed Hall of Famer could do NOTHING against them. He should have had at least 3 interceptions, and would have if New Orleans was a good defense.

Rodgers had over 2 FULL seasons under Favre without a pandemic and with contact practice - and much more practice (when that was still a thing).

I hope you will understand my point. And no, it isn't to say Love is or ever will be better than Rodgers

Ted didn't trade up into the first round to select Rodgers and Favre had been threatening to retire for years. Love needs to be held to a higher standard, or people need to ask why Gute felt the need to move up for him. Love could become a very good QB (I certainly hope he does) but Gute put a lot on the guy while slowing down the development of the entire team when he moved up for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.