The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its all good. I just find the whole love hatred funny..cant believe the totally different view points.

Group A- he sucks he is a bust

Group B- he needs time but he is getting so much better

And where is the mod rule book? Like to read it

Yeah im being an ***...but hey if posters are able to dish why cant I?
There is a group C (where I reside). I think drafting him was a mistake. I will not be convinced otherwise. HOWEVER, that decision has been made. Now that he is a Packer, I root for him and sincerely want him to be as good as he can possibly be. If that means sometime down the road I have to say I was wrong and drafting him was a great move …. all the better.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See this is where we are on separate ends of the spectrum.

I don’t claim to know what the situation is there at GM in 2020 like you do. Really think Brian was just trying to **** off Aaron Rodgers?
I think that’s a very accusatory attitude.

Here’s a guy in Brian Gutenkunst who I feel like anyone who knows anything in the league highly respects him as a GM. But @captainWIMM thinks he operates on malice just because he didn’t get what he wanted personally. Brian took a stab at QB, big whoop Dee doo doo.

I’m not going to take a GM and repeatedly condemn him to Sheol because I think I didn’t like 1 draft selection, like you do regularly.
Even if he struck out with #10??
I still wouldn’t do that. I look at a persons full body of work rather than nitpick to try to find 1 selection they missed on and pretend like I could’ve done a better job over the last 5 seasons. He’s a GM and human!

Even if Love gets cut tomorrow? Brian Gutenkunst gets a B+/A- rating
If Love works out he gets a solid A to A+ rating as a GM. Gluten had perfected trades that garnered us an extra Day 1 selection at minimal cost and you just bust his chops for this lone selection? Brian got us that much in an early career trade back. As far as I’m concerned that was a bonus pick.

How would you rate Brian Gluten letter grade? Overall
So …. those of us that disagree with you should just say… oh ok you are right. Accusing Wimm the way you do is just gross mis characterization. I have said since Love was drafted that it was a mistake for the exact reasons that Wimm has articulated. Regardless of whether you think gute did it it to pi$$ off Aaron or not, it certainly was very foreseeable that it would. As I have said before, now that Love is a Packer, I sincerely want him to do well, but that does not mean we have to agree with you that drafting him was a good idea.

Reaction score
So …. those of us that disagree with you should just say… oh ok you are right. Accusing Wimm the way you do is just gross mis characterization. I have said since Love was drafted that it was a mistake for the exact reasons that Wimm has articulated. Regardless of whether you think gute did it it to pi$$ off Aaron or not, it certainly was very foreseeable that it would. As I have said before, now that Love is a Packer, I sincerely want him to do well, but that does not mean we have to agree with you that drafting him was a good idea.
You never listened to a word I said and that is very obvious in your zeal to defend him. I’ve noticed you like to jump in and read a post and not follow the trail and that’s called not giving your brother benefit of the doubt. I said I wanted a WR. Are you surprised??

It’s easy to say you didn’t like a pick, especially if they are not perceived to be successful. That’s just common stuff.

On the surface Captain is right. Ultimately the vast majority of us fans think small, short term and we think we’re justified. In a small, short term way? They are 100% right. No ultra successful GM thinks going safe on every pick and looking short term.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You never listened to a word I said and that is very obvious in your zeal to defend him. I said I wanted a WR. Are you surprised??
It’s easy to say you didn’t like a pick, especially if they are not perceived to be successful. Human nature is to follow the common man. Anyone can do that and I’m not impressed at all as it’s just such a common thing to do. I don’t like common
Well you are kind of correct…. I didn’t listen to anything lol… but I did respond directly to what you wrote.

D

Deleted member 6794

On the surface Captain is right. Ultimately the vast majority of us fans think small, short term and we think we’re justified. In a small, short term way? They are 100% right. No ultra successful GM thinks going safe on every pick and looking short term.

There aren't any safe picks as the draft is a crapshoot after all. Successful general managers find a balance between improving the team in the short team while planning for the future as well.

Reaction score
There aren't any safe picks as the draft is a crapshoot after all. Successful general managers find a balance between improving the team in the short team while planning for the future as well.
That is true. I'm somewhat ok with criticism on a player, but whoever does that should have a better answer for an alternate plan than " I'm not sure and I'd just keep waiting" That does not give me great confidence in your comment about balance as a GM. We are another 2-3 years down the road from the Love selection and I have not seen 1 QB name of an adequate replacement. If we are bold enough to be critical? We should be bold enough to have an alternate plan to the Jordan Love selection.

So here we are. What is YOUR plan at QB if Jordan Love is gone today (say we selected a WR in 2020) Speak to us and I will truly listen

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm somewhat ok with criticism on a player, but whoever does that should have a better answer for an alternate plan than " I'm not sure and I'd just keep waiting" That does not give me great confidence in your comment about balance as a GM. We are another 2-3 years down the road from the Love selection and I have not seen 1 QB name of an adequate replacement. If we are bold enough to be critical? We should be bold enough to have an alternate plan to the Jordan Love selection.

So here we are. What is YOUR plan at QB if Jordan Love is gone today (say we selected a WR in 2020) Speak to us and I will truly listen

Aaron Rodgers is still the Packers quarterback. At this point there's no need for an alternate plan.

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is still the Packers quarterback. At this point there's no need for an alternate plan.
At QB? So your suggestion at QB is us not having an alternate plan? I've seen everything I need to see now. I just can't debate it. lol

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Trey Lance and Justin Fields play today, makes me feel pretty good about Love.

Love's position reminds me of the saying, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." As long as he doesn't play we can hold out hope he doesn't suck.

D

Deleted member 6794

At QB? So your suggestion at QB is us not having an alternate plan? I've seen everything I need to see now. I just can't debate it. lol

As I have mentioned repeatedly, the Packers would have a different backup quarterback than Love. As long as Rodgers is playing it doesn't matter a whole lot.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have mentioned repeatedly, the Packers would have a different backup quarterback than Love. As long as Rodgers is playing it doesn't matter a whole lot.

I agree, I think Boyle would have actually been held on to.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My take. Never pass up an opportunity to add what you believe is a potential impact player. They didn't pass up the opportunity to draft Rodgers and they didn't pass on Love. They did however pass on TJ Watt. Perhaps there was disagreement in the building as to Watt's future value. I always have believed that he was the closest thing to a safe lock at pick 29 that I've ever seen.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Love's position reminds me of the saying, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." As long as he doesn't play we can hold out hope he doesn't suck.
You are right. Until he actually sees enough legitimate game time snaps, it will be hard to evaluate him. It is also very hard for him to keep improving without such work too. I have no doubt that if Rodgers slipped in the shower and made Love the starting QB for the rest of 2022, he would struggle for awhile. Hell, Rodgers struggled on Sunday with this offense. Maybe by week 11 or so we would see Love take some steps forward, without going backwards. No different than what we have seen from other young, inexperienced QB's in the NFL.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right. Until he actually sees enough legitimate game time snaps, it will be hard to evaluate him. It is also very hard for him to keep improving without such work too. I have no doubt that if Rodgers slipped in the shower and made Love the starting QB for the rest of 2022, he would struggle for awhile. Hell, Rodgers struggled on Sunday with this offense. Maybe by week 11 or so we would see Love take some steps forward, without going backwards. No different than what we have seen from other young, inexperienced QB's in the NFL.

I thought one of the reasons Love was good pick was because the Packers had time for him to develop on the bench? Are we now changing the discussion to "he needs game reps to improve" because then we're right back to his selection in the draft being a terrible one.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought one of the reasons Love was good pick was because the Packers had time for him to develop on the bench? Are we now changing the discussion to "he needs game reps to improve" because then we're right back to his selection in the draft being a terrible one.
Name all the rookie QB's that were polished and ready to go in their very first year of playing. If you thought Love would be one of those, then you had too high of hopes for a QB that wasn't selected until late in Round 1. What Love was viewed as though, was a potential replacement for an aging FHOF QB. I doubt the Packers thought that when Rodgers retired/left GB, they be instant contenders the first year with Love behind center. What they hoped, was that Love would develop into a quality QB. As I said, that really doesn't happen (development) until he gets enough actual game time reps.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name all the rookie QB's that were polished and ready to go in their very first year of playing. If you thought Love would be one of those, then you had too high of hopes for a QB that wasn't selected until late in Round 1. What Love was viewed as though, was a potential replacement for an aging FHOF QB. I doubt the Packers thought that when Rodgers retired/left GB, they be instant contenders the first year with Love behind center. What they hoped, was that Love would develop into a quality QB. As I said, that really doesn't happen (development) until he gets enough actual game time reps.

So, then why draft a guy to sit on the bench? If it's going to take a year or two of game action for the QB to properly develop, why waste the draft pick just sitting on the bench for 4 years? There is no way to justify spending a first round pick on a guy who is going to take SIX YEARS to eventually develop into a decent QB.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not saying you're guilty of this (I haven't seen it one way or another; just speaking in generalities) but we've also seen it said that Love was a good pick because "He was graded as a high first-rounder who happened to fall to us" or "GB had him rated much higher and thought he'd be long gone by the time they picked" or something to that effect.

So again, not saying this is what you've said, but obviously it can't be both "Love was a good pick because he should've gone early in the first and we lucked into him being available later" and "Love was taken late in the first so we need to temper our expectations" simultaneously.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, then why draft a guy to sit on the bench? If it's going to take a year or two of game action for the QB to properly develop, why waste the draft pick just sitting on the bench for 4 years? There is no way to justify spending a first round pick on a guy who is going to take SIX YEARS to eventually develop into a decent QB.
It is not a waste if he turns out good. Do you have any idea how many QBs have sat for the first few years in NFL history? Just because we are now a society of impatience; it does not mean imho that everything in the past is not worth some thought.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not a waste if he turns out good. Do you have any idea how many QBs have sat for the first few years in NFL history? Just because we are now a society of impatience; it does not mean imho that everything in the past is not worth some thought.

I'm sorry, but any argument that depends on the idea that a QB is a good pick even though he won't become a good starter for six years is foolish. "Hey team, we're going to spend our most valuable team capital on a guy who will be on the bench for 4-5 years and then won't be a good starter for another 2 years!" That's maybe the worst team building philosophy I've ever heard.

Reaction score
I suppose.
As long as your house remains unaffected you don’t need homeowners insurance. As long as your health remains intact you don’t need any form of health insurance. As long as you don’t get a flat tire you can send your daughter in a cross country trip and you don’t need a spare tire. The list goes on. That doesn’t necessarily make it a wise decision to go without, just because we say it.
Nothing personal you can run a team however you like and you might luck out. Good Luck Cooper! NOT!! :whistling:

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the idea. QBs can take some time to develop and it's fair to say that perhaps we shouldn't expect Love to step in straight away and have a huge impact.

At the same time Love was not even *active* for a single game his rookie season and started *one* game in his second year. And odds are that barring a Rodgers injury or a late-season meaningless matchup, he won't start any games this season, either.

Rodgers has indicated at this point that he intends to retire a Packer. Maybe he retires after this season, maybe not. I doubt he sees out his entire contract but it wouldn't surprise me if he had another year or so in him after this one. And I think we can all admit that it's probably safe to say there's no scenario in which a healthy Rodgers is benched for Love as long as he's here.

In other words, we're looking at probably 3 years minimum - perhaps more - in which Love will have only started games due to injury/resting starters. So while I get the idea that players can take some time to develop and it's not uncommon to spend some time on the bench learning under a more experienced player...How many times has there ever been a QB taken in the first round who played so few meaningful snaps in his first 2, 3, 4 years and went on to be an above-average starting QB in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.