The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even care anymore. I know what Rodgers has meant to this team, but I'm also getting sick of it. Our defense was not great last year and the King debacle at the end of the half was pretty bad, but you know what? They came back and played some great football and made some great plays to get this team in a position to win that game. and while I don't think our QB played poorly at all by any stretch of the imagination you know what else he didn't do? Play great. he had multiple opportunities to make a great play and didn't. he played a good game, can't fault him, but this narrative that this team is nothing without him needs to end.

That team last year could have been in the Super Bowl, so thinking the FO doesn't care about winning or isn't focused on it is bunk. Sure it helps to have an all pro at every position, but it also helps when your generationally great players elevate their game in the big games to get it done and not just play "well". and yes, all those teams that are considered great had their players step up and get it done when it needed to be.
I think this team can still be a SB contender without Rodgers. Probably not as strong out of the gate as the new QB gets his feet wet but it is being built into a team than can win with its QB instead of because of their QB. Some will say that for a long time the Packers were winning because Rodgers hid a lot of weaknesses and they are not wrong but look at our roster now. We have a top 10 RB (Jones) which is a bonus since RBs don't matter anyway. A top 3 WR (Adams) who we hopefully will keep. A top LT (Bakhtiari) who admittedly is a question mark at this point. A a top LG (Jenkins) on offense. On Defense we have a stud up front (Clark) three pretty darn good edges rushers (Smith, Smith and Gary) one of the best CBs in the league(Alexander) and a very good safety (Savage) if he can continue to develop. Yes some of our good players have questions but every team has similar questions at multiple positions. The point is the team is slowly being built around the QB. The weaknesses are being addressed and are being corrected. When you have a team without stars having the best QB in the league is really really important but when you have a team that has other stars having the great QB, while very nice, is not quite as important. If losing a top 3 QB results in gaining a top 5 -10 player in 2 other positions it may be a good trade if the new QB can come in and play in the top 10-15 range. I'd love to have a team that could win the SB with Joe Flacco, or Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson and its slowly getting there.

We complain about players getting millions for playing a game then we turn around and get upset when that same player throws a wrench into our enjoyment of a game. I feel much better since I have let the NFL, and yes, even the Packers, take a back seat in my life. No more getting upset at a loss or a stupid play call or a boneheaded mistake. Its a game. I get more upset now when my partner orders me to pick up a Jack when he has a queen and 4 off suit 9s and 10s. It either Fs up my loner or is the only trump in my hand.

Reaction score
I think this team can still be a SB contender without Rodgers. Probably not as strong out of the gate as the new QB gets his feet wet but it is being built into a team than can win with its QB instead of because of their QB. Some will say that for a long time the Packers were winning because Rodgers hid a lot of weaknesses and they are not wrong but look at our roster now. We have a top 10 RB (Jones) which is a bonus since RBs don't matter anyway. A top 3 WR (Adams) who we hopefully will keep. A top LT (Bakhtiari) who admittedly is a question mark at this point. A a top LG (Jenkins) on offense. On Defense we have a stud up front (Clark) three pretty darn good edges rushers (Smith, Smith and Gary) one of the best CBs in the league(Alexander) and a very good safety (Savage) if he can continue to develop. Yes some of our good players have questions but every team has similar questions at multiple positions. The point is the team is slowly being built around the QB. The weaknesses are being addressed and are being corrected. When you have a team without stars having the best QB in the league is really really important but when you have a team that has other stars having the great QB, while very nice, is not quite as important. If losing a top 3 QB results in gaining a top 5 -10 player in 2 other positions it may be a good trade if the new QB can come in and play in the top 10-15 range. I'd love to have a team that could win the SB with Joe Flacco, or Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson and its slowly getting there.

We complain about players getting millions for playing a game then we turn around and get upset when that same player throws a wrench into our enjoyment of a game. I feel much better since I have let the NFL, and yes, even the Packers, take a back seat in my life. No more getting upset at a loss or a stupid play call or a boneheaded mistake. Its a game. I get more upset now when my partner orders me to pick up a Jack when he has a queen and 4 off suit 9s and 10s. It either Fs up my loner or is the only trump in my hand.
Amen to that! The game is evolving. The MLF system distributes the responsibilities a bit more evenly among skill positions. The QB position benefits the most and it can take a Jimmy G lower grade QB and make him look better than he is. I’ll be frank, I believe Jordan has a higher long term ceiling than Jimmy G.
I think a team with multiple day 1 draft picks and an extra $20mil cap and led by Jordan can be in playoff contention by as early as 2022. I believe they can be a legit contender without Aaron by 2023.

I think some fans have put blinders on and they are living in 2014. A big part of our recent success is drafting better, attacking FA (Gutey) and MLF (Schematics). The latter one is being severely underestimated by those who can’t get their blinders off and recognize that there’s more ways to skin a cat. Right now we’re living 1 foot in Aaron Rodgers World and 1 foot in MLF world. Rodgers is good enough to make that work, but QB buy in super important. It’s very possible God is moving Aaron out of our own way for a reason. We have to trust in the recent success and ask why Aaron has never went back to back NFC games until now? Did he suddenly get that much better? Or is the team and it’s processes allowing him that additional success. He acts like it’s 100% the former and that’s as much a danger to our future than his maintaining his TD-INT ratio. His actions are not consistent with a team mentality and that is dangerous in the long run.
Love doesn’t need to be Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes to be successful. He just needs to keep improving towards his ceiling and be himself. He’s proven to have that X factor and he’s proven he can tear apart a Defense with the right people around him. That last part is key. Jordan Love made throws that only a handful of QBs at the NFL level can make. He needs refining in the fundamentals, but he’s a keeper and Brian was very confident in that or he wouldn’t have spent 2 draft selections on him.
Funny how We all talk about BPA with our chest puffed.. until that player doesn’t align with our immediate position need, then we want to punch the tv. Regardless if Love flops or turns MVP, I respect Gute for sticking to his guns.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Amen to that! The game is evolving. The MLF system distributes the responsibilities a bit more evenly among skill positions. The QB position benefits the most and it can take a Jimmy G low grade QB look better than he is. I believe Jordan has a higher ceiling than Jimmy G. I think a team with multiple day 1 draft picks led by Jordan can be in playoff contention by as early as 2022. I believe they can be a legit contender without Aaron by 2023.

I think some fans have put blinders on and they are living in 2014. A big part of our recent success is drafting better, attacking FA (Gutey) and MLF (Schematics). The latter one is being severely underestimated by those who can’t get their blinders off and recognize that there’s more ways to skin a cat. Right now we’re living 1 foot in Aaron Rodgers World and 1 foot in MLF world. Rodgers is good enough to make that work, but QB buy in super important. It’s very possible God is moving Aaron out of our own way for a reason. We have to trust in the recent success and ask why Aaron has never went back to back NFC games until now? Did he suddenly get that much better? Or is the team and it’s processes allowing him that additional success. He acts like it’s 100% the former and that’s as much a danger to our future than his maintaining his TD-INT ratio. His actions are not consistent with a team mentality and that is dangerous in the long run.
I would say that he has enjoyed the success of a better ran and more dimensional offense. However, the Packers don't need to take a low grade QB and scheme away from him. They need to figure it out with Rodgers to make a legit Super Bowl run. I can't buy the argument the Packers are a Super Bowl contender with Love at the helm. I think those that believe that are the ones putting the blinders on.

Reaction score
I would say that he has enjoyed the success of a better ran and more dimensional offense. However, the Packers don't need to take a low grade QB and scheme away from him. They need to figure it out with Rodgers to make a legit Super Bowl run. I can't buy the argument the Packers are a Super Bowl contender with Love at the helm. I think those that believe that are the ones putting the blinders on.
I heard that exact same sentiment when Favre went out and we had just went 6-10 with Aaron. I’ll never buy into the thinking that Aaron Rodgers will be the last QB to ever lead the Packers to a Super Bowl. No wonder why you guys are so afraid of losing Aaron! :roflmao:

PS. We are 2-3 additional playmakers from putting together a top 5-8 type stifling Defense and we could have that by this time next season. Or.. We can expect to go the opposite and lose 1-2 veteran stellar Defenders to FA next offseason. Do not act surprised when we regress on Defense next year.

Last edited:

Krabs

Reaction score
I’ll never buy into the thinking that Aaron Rodgers will be the last QB to ever lead the Packers to a Super Bowl. No wonder why you guys are so afraid of losing Aaron! :roflmao:
I never said that Rodgers would be the last QB to lead the Packers to the Super Bowl. I don't think Love will next season though. His first season as a starter and you think they would be Super Bowl contenders? Rodgers just won the MVP of the league last season and you want to just move on?
PS. You could also say Aaron will need to throw for 55TD’s and single digit INT to get us there. He obviously can’t do it with 48TD’s :tup:
You're just sounding like a troll with this comment? Are you a MN fan?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so at all that's called living in the moment...
Yes, you are right. I just think getting a franchise QB is such a difficult thing and if you really believe the guy your looking at has the qualifications; then you pull the trigger. I don't agree that you let that opportunity go by. And Wimm has said it so many times that I actually am not sure I believe that he believes in what he said.lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Love worked out with watson and fields as they have same agent.

Word is a qb coach was there and praised love

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I never said that Rodgers would be the last QB to lead the Packers to the Super Bowl. I don't think Love will next season though. His first season as a starter and you think they would be Super Bowl contenders? Rodgers just won the MVP of the league last season and you want to just move on?

You're just sounding like a troll with this comment? Are you a MN fan?
Troll???

Lmao...sorry no where near

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, you are right. I just think getting a franchise QB is such a difficult thing and if you really believe the guy your looking at has the qualifications; then you pull the trigger. I don't agree that you let that opportunity go by. And Wimm has said it so many times that I actually am not sure I believe that he believes in what he said.lol

I've said repeatedly if I'm making the decisions I trade up for Justin Jefferson and I said it before the draft...however I have also said repeatedly that had love been on the board at 30 would have had a very hard time passing him up because I did think that he had shown special talent and that sitting behind Rodgers for 3 years would allow him a very good chance at being number 3

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said repeatedly if I'm making the decisions I trade up for Justin Jefferson and I said it before the draft...however I have also said repeatedly that had love been on the board at 30 would have had a very hard time passing him up because I did think that he had shown special talent and that sitting behind Rodgers for 3 years would allow him a very good chance at being number 3
Nice how you picked the most successful rookie. There were definitely a lot more people on this forum who predicted he would bust. I'll say it again. If you see a QB (especially where we draft from) that you decide has a chance to be special and you have an aging QB; you go for it. imho

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They tried 2 times for Jefferson

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

How about people get behind Love instead of deciding he`s a waste of a pick. If my memory serves me right, didn`t people actually Boo Rodgers when he first played in Green and Gold instead of Favre ?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about people get behind Love instead of deciding he`s a waste of a pick. If my memory serves me right, didn`t people actually Boo Rodgers when he first played in Green and Gold instead of Favre ?
I will cheer for Love when he's the starter while also acknowledging that the decision to draft him hurt the Packers' chances of winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers.

Krabs

Reaction score
It's not as though I don't want Love to be successful. I will be cheering for him when he takes over. He's clearly the heir apparent. I think many fans, myself included, thought it was too soon to draft Rodgers successor and we could have used an immediate impact player. That is all.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice how you picked the most successful rookie. There were definitely a lot more people on this forum who predicted he would bust. I'll say it again. If you see a QB (especially where we draft from) that you decide has a chance to be special and you have an aging QB; you go for it. imho

I totally agree with that philosophy and honestly I bet even Rodgers himself does too...however I would of told Rodgers what was going on and what my plan was for Love as the GM before I made the pick...simple communication solves a lot of problems before they start

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with that philosophy and honestly I bet even Rodgers himself does too...however I would of told Rodgers what was going on and what my plan was for Love as the GM before I made the pick...simple communication solves a lot of problems before they start
So you think AR would've been Ok with "the plan"had he known about on draft night 2020? "Aaron, we're drafting your replacement to coach him up for a couple of years so he can start in '22 and we can REALLY build the team around his low salary cap for 3 years before we get hamstrung with his HUGE salary cap #". AR saw the plan, it didn't need to be spelled out for him.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think AR would've been Ok with "the plan"had he known about on draft night 2020? "Aaron, we're drafting your replacement to coach him up for a couple of years so he can start in '22 and we can REALLY build the team around his low salary cap for 3 years before we get hamstrung with his HUGE salary cap #". AR saw the plan, it didn't need to be spelled out for him.

I think he's not an idiot and he knows how this works but at the same time he thinks he earned or deserved a level of respect and communication that he did not receive...to me giving a heads up to a guy who has made you that much money is just common courtesy...also I just said I wanted love to sit for 3 seasons behind Rodgers. Then start Love in 2023 if and only if he had proven he was too good not to be given a shot at being numero tres

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they should have called him after and told him he was still the man but they could not pass Love up. Don't know if that would have changed anything but I don't see how they could have called him before the pick.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they should have called him after and told him he was still the man but they could not pass Love up. Don't know if that would have changed anything but I don't see how they could have called him before the pick.

What how many minutes do you get on the clock? 10 I think now....Definitely could of called him but hey what do I know

Reaction score
I never said that Rodgers would be the last QB to lead the Packers to the Super Bowl. I don't think Love will next season though. His first season as a starter and you think they would be Super Bowl contenders?
No you didn’t say that, but you act like it. No one said love would win a SB his first year out.. btw, what was Aaron Rodgers record his first year as a starter? They’ve got to start somewhere!

So If our MVP (keep in mind he’s still under employment by GB) decides to sit the season out while under 3 more years of contract, who’s fault is that exactly that he is taking the entire team hostage and forcing the Packers to abort their plans?
I’d say that Aaron Rodgers fault. You act like Brian publicly and personally insulted Aaron by drafting a QB. Teams do this stuff all the time. Matter of fact, didn’t Aaron get drafted to replace Favre? Why is he so special as an exception in 2005?

I think many fans, myself included, thought it was too soon to draft Rodgers successor and we could have used an immediate impact player. That is all.
I thought that also at the time, but let’s be realistic.. that was then and this is now. I just don’t like living in the past.

Have you considered that Love was the best player left on Green Bay’s Board and at a position that was in the plans with a year or two? That Brian might’ve even been somewhat knowing the scrutiny coming.. but he did what he thought was best for the team regardless of possible backlash?
So if you are a GM (I’ll still offer you the respect you didn’t offer me :tup:;)) and your convictions tell you to pick the best valued player in the draft, then the best valued player happens to be at QB, but maybe 1 year earlier than you ideally anticipated.. would you as GM pass up on that player if no other player on the board was close in value?

Would you player reach?
would you Play it safe?
Would you take that DT or WR at #29, even though you had him at #38 overall and he likely needed a year?

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What how many minutes do you get on the clock? 10 I think now....Definitely could of called him but hey what do I know
I didn't mean that. They physically could have called him. But I just cannot see doing something like that during the draft process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.