The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Gute if we got his unfiltered answer now would say it was the correct decision, however that is solely because of factors which are known now which were either in question at the time or assumed to not be the case at the time. So while you might get Gute someday to say or admit hindsight points to that verdict, it still doesn't remove the logic and the valid reasons for the move at the time.
That pretty much sums it up for me. Nobody that I know of, is currently raving about the drafting of Love 2 years after the fact. However, as you and many of us have said over and over, 2 years ago the pick, while it felt a bit premature, had its merits and thus the rationale behind Gute's thought process was easy to see. That hasn't changed, but what has changed, are the unknown (at the time) variables that influenced the decision, are slowly turning the pick into what appears to have been an unnecessary one.

As I've mentioned in the past, it's pretty obvious Gutekunst thought there was a need to draft at quarterback, otherwise he wouldn't have traded up to select Love.

I disagreed with it from the time the move was made.

Two years down the road, it's pretty obvious Gutekunst was wrong about it. And that's actually all that really matters.

Certainly doesn't seem like we did Love any favors by picking him either.

While that's true I don't consider it of any importance.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After only Two years down the road, it's pretty obvious there's a distinct possibility that Gutekunst may have been was wrong about the potential future need of drafting Love to have him ready to replace Rodgers when the need to arised it. And that's actually all that really matters.
Fixed it for you. ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading I get and it holds merit whether I agree or not, cutting is ludacris IMO
They'll keep him because 1) there's no good trade market for him and 2) he knows the playbook better than any other potential backup.

And yeah, on second thought, cutting him would only benefit Love (potentially) but hurt the Packers. Not doable.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the good ol' BJ Raji discussions. Those were the days, am'i'right?

Reaction score
They'll keep him because 1) there's no good trade market for him and 2) he knows the playbook better than any other potential backup.

And yeah, on second thought, cutting him would only benefit Love (potentially) but hurt the Packers. Not doable.
Yep. At this point we might as well get something of value (keep him as our primary backup) I’d continue to develop him this season at minimum. Then go from there.

I think having Tom Clements in the house training him is going to only help Love develop.

I’m actually excited to see how he plays in these 3 preseason games. He should have plenty of good WR to throw to.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some will say we shouldn't cut a backup QB who has been in the system for three years. But he was a first round pick, and deserves a shot at starting.
Which leads to the question: Is there a team he would start for?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which leads to the question: Is there a team he would start for?
Besides the Bears? ;)

I don't think Jordan Love could go to any NFL team right now and be the instant starter. Now could he potentially beat out these guys.... maybe

28. Carson Wentz, Washington Football Team
29. Jared Goff, Detroit Lions
30. Sam Darnold, Carolina Panthers
31. Mitchell Trubisky, Pittsburgh Steelers
32. Drew Lock, Seattle Seahawks

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the Bears? ;)

I don't think Jordan Love could go to any NFL team right now and be the instant starter. Now could he potentially beat out these guys.... maybe

28. Carson Wentz, Washington Football Team
29. Jared Goff, Detroit Lions
30. Sam Darnold, Carolina Panthers
31. Mitchell Trubisky, Pittsburgh Steelers
32. Drew Lock, Seattle Seahawks

Agree with all except Wentz (coaches will always imagine that they're the guy that can bring back Wentz's MVP form). Love could potentially provide competition for some quarterbacks but I've seen nothing in live-game action to say he's definitively better than any current starting QB.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree with all except Wentz (coaches will always imagine that they're the guy that can bring back Wentz's MVP form). Love could potentially provide competition for some quarterbacks but I've seen nothing in live-game action to say he's definitively better than any current starting QB.
He might not beat Wentz or any of them out, but I think he would have a chance. Especially with teams that are in rebuild mode and see Love as a potential QB of the future. If I was an NFL GM and I was in rebuild, I would prefer doing it with a young unproven QB like LOVE, a guy that has an upside to him that could all of a sudden make you a contender in a year or two. A guy like Wentz, he would be fine on a team that is already in contention, because the other 21 starters are pretty decent.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good write up and basically where I feel the Packers are with Love at the moment. Try to increase his value and look to trade him after the season. Right now, not enough trade value to warrant trading away your backup that knows the offense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good write up and basically where I feel the Packers are with Love at the moment. Try to increase his value and look to trade him after the season. Right now, not enough trade value to warrant trading away your backup that knows the offense.

Right after Rodgers says he thinks all the time about retiring? Just can't see trading him if he looks better.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Right after Rodgers says he thinks all the time about retiring? Just can't see trading him if he looks better.
I think Rodgers new contract pretty much decided it. It being that he will be a Packer longer than Love.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good write up and basically where I feel the Packers are with Love at the moment. Try to increase his value and look to trade him after the season.

Love showing promise in either the regular season or the playoffs is the only way to increase his value. Hopefully they won't get a chance for it as that would most likely mean Rodgers suffered an injury though.

I think Rodgers new contract pretty much decided it. It being that he will be a Packer longer than Love.

Rodgers could retire after the 2022 season. It's highly unlikely considering the extension he just signed though.

There's a small chance the Packers could trade him after next season as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope not. It all hinges on Love's progress imho. Not on Aaron's decisions. Age is finally his biggest determination.

Reaction score
Thanks for the post @Pokerbrat2000. Sounds reasonable. For me, anything below a top 100 selection straight up doesn’t peak my interest.

Loves best outcome is that he lights it up in preseason. While in and unto itself that might not seem like a big deal to some people, it would show his progression in the correct direction. Similarly if he looked sloppy it would have an inverse value effect.

Also my hope is that we lock the #1 seed down with a game to spare. That would be a more ideal way to get an accurate depiction. It would be real time at the end of the season against starters.

There’s a 90% chance Love builds on his 2021 season. With Tom Clements and having a healthy OL in itself gives Love an advantage.The first 3-4 seasons are crucial at QB.
Loves 1st season was a Redshirted Covid year.
This season is more accurately his Sophomore campaign.
The honeymoon is over

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also my hope is that we lock the #1 seed down with a game to spare. That would be a more ideal way to get an accurate depiction. It would be real time at the end of the season against starters.
I wouldn't view the final game of the year, if it was meaningless to both teams, much of a forum for Love to prove much. That would typically mean being surrounded by second and third stringers himself, while maybe going up against them as well. Really just a glorified preseason game.

I agree though, if he does some really good things in preseason, that might be enough to peak some interest from teams for next offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I hope not. It all hinges on Love's progress imho. Not on Aaron's decisions. Age is finally his biggest determination.

The Packers trading Rodgers after this season would result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against their cap, actually an additional cap hit of $8.7 million. While it might be possible for the team to manage it regarding the cap that doesn't seem to be a smart approach.

They definitely can't release him at that point as it would result in dead money of $100 million.

Loves best outcome is that he lights it up in preseason. While in and unto itself that might not seem like a big deal to some people, it would show his progression in the correct direction.

I highly doubt any team would be interested in a decent offer for Love solely based on his performance in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.