The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I definitely don't want the Packers to spend anywhere close to $8 million on a backup QB. In my opinion there should be better options than Bortles available for a reasonable price tag.aam not so sure there is.
This isn't meant to be one of those "name one" posts. Those posts are generally made in defense of the current guy and I'm not defending Bortles at all. They are also meant to put someone on the spot and believe me I'm not trying to do that to you.

having said that... name one. I ask simply because I don't really know if there are are any who fit the "better than Bortles at a reasonable price". There very well may be and if there are then by all means bring them in but I am not so sure there are.

I'm sure you've not studied all the possible cheap but OK backup QBs so I'll give you some time to come up with one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be one of those "name one" posts. Those posts are generally made in defense of the current guy and I'm not defending Bortles at all. They are also meant to put someone on the spot and believe me I'm not trying to do that to you.

having said that... name one. I ask simply because I don't really know if there are are any who fit the "better than Bortles at a reasonable price". There very well may be and if there are then by all means bring them in but I am not so sure there are.

I'm sure you've not studied all the possible cheap but OK backup QBs so I'll give you some time to come up with one.

Nothing yet. Come on. Why are you stalling. It shouldn't be that difficult.

That's the way I would have done it if this was a real "name one" post.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing yet. Come on. Why are you stalling. It shouldn't be that difficult.

That's the way I would have done it if this was a real "name one" post.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I can‘t believe you gave him a whole 4 minutes …. awfully generous. ;)

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can‘t believe you gave him a whole 4 minutes …. awfully generous. ;)
Waited too long huh? I was worried that would be the case but I had to take a call from Blake thanking me for defending him. He says to say Hi to everybody... Except Captain of course.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A hypothetical I have been thinking about is what we can possibly get for Love if we are able to keep Rodgers.

I think we could possibly trade him to the Steelers and get Claypool from them as well as a mid round pick. Maybe a 3rd. Ben is reported to be retiring so the Steelers will need a QB but where they currently are picking has them kind of in no man land. Some people may not like the idea of getting Claypool but he is a talented receiver with upside who needs mentoring.

Prior to the draft when we took Love I thought he was a late 2nd round prospect at best who lacked accuracy, ability to read a defense, and made awful decisions under any type of pressure. I liked the pick even less when we traded up for him in the first and now I think it is the worst pick since Mandarich after watching him play in a preseason and regular season. I see the same problems I saw in college only to a more severe degree with the speed of the game and talent of the opposition. Dude stinks like tuna cans.

Anyways we could potentially move a bad investment for a talented WR his current team seems to be unhappy with and hope he turns it around like a Vontae Davis after he was traded from Miami to the Colts. It would help smooth things over with Rodgers and give him a big target to help what is going to be a decimated WR room next season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A hypothetical I have been thinking about is what we can possibly get for Love if we are able to keep Rodgers.

I think we could possibly trade him to the Steelers and get Claypool from them as well as a mid round pick. Maybe a 3rd. Ben is reported to be retiring so the Steelers will need a QB but where they currently are picking has them kind of in no man land. Some people may not like the idea of getting Claypool but he is a talented receiver with upside who needs mentoring.

Prior to the draft when we took Love I thought he was a late 2nd round prospect at best who lacked accuracy, ability to read a defense, and made awful decisions under any type of pressure. I liked the pick even less when we traded up for him in the first and now I think it is the worst pick since Mandarich after watching him play in a preseason and regular season. I see the same problems I saw in college only to a more severe degree with the speed of the game and talent of the opposition. Dude stinks like tuna cans.

Anyways we could potentially move a bad investment for a talented WR his current team seems to be unhappy with and hope he turns it around like a Vontae Davis after he was traded from Miami to the Colts. It would help smooth things over with Rodgers and give him a big target to help what is going to be a decimated WR room next season.
I still have to read the rest of your post… but saw the word Claypool…. and almost choked… you are talking about the same “me first“ guy that just contributed to losing against the Vikings on Thursday night right?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think w/o Rodgers (because Love is the back up with him) that the back up QB is important. Yeah, we hope he doesn't play but if he does... So I hope Gute does some real good thinking on who to bring in. Most QBs want to be starters. It would be good to be able to bring in someone who could play but is satisfied being #2. Someone we could keep around for awhile. For that, we will have to pay the going rate. I think it is a position of need.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all I want to apologize that it inexcusably took me more than four minutes to reply to your post, I promise to do better from now on.

In my opinion, for example Colt McCoy or Geno Smith might present an upgrade over Bortles. Most likely either of them could be signed for close to the minimum.

Why would the Steelers be interested in trading Claypool, who has put up impressive numbers during his first two years in the league, for a backup who hasn't proven to be a starting caliber quarterback and add a draft pick on top of it?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I want to apologize that it inexcusably took me more than four minutes to reply to your post, I promise to do better from now on.

In my opinion, for example Colt McCoy or Geno Smith might present an upgrade over Bortles. Most likely either of them could be signed for close to the minimum.

Why would the Steelers be interested in trading Claypool, who has put up impressive numbers during his first two years in the league, for a backup who hasn't proven to be a starting caliber quarterback and add a draft pick on top of it?
hopefully they wouldn’t …. and I agree with you that they wouldn’t….. but after watching his antics on Thursday night … I don’t want him anywhere near the Packers’ roster.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope so. Im not sure about McCoy, certainly not Smith IMO but thanks.

As far as ,Claypool goes he made that one bonehead first down gesture which obviously cost the Steelers the game so of course they will want to trade him.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Viking player who knocked the ball out of Claypool's hand (which is a penalty) cost Pittsburgh the chance to win the game. While Claypool was making his gesture there was no ref in sight to spot the ball. When the ref arrived before Claypool could give him the ball a Viking defender knocked it out of his hand to the ground. If you want to ***** about his personal foul in the 1st quarter I am with you. If Pitt would give up Claypool for Love I would give them a day 3 pick to make it happen.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Viking player who knocked the ball out of Claypool's hand (which is a penalty) cost Pittsburgh the chance to win the game. While Claypool was making his gesture there was no ref in sight to spot the ball. When the ref arrived before Claypool could give him the ball a Viking defender knocked it out of his hand to the ground. If you want to ***** about his personal foul in the 1st quarter I am with you. If Pitt would give up Claypool for Love I would give them a day 3 pick to make it happen.
I’m talking about his entire game demeanor…. However your excuses for him on that last drive are irrelevant. He caught the ball and immediately went into show boat mode… he was not looking for a ref immediately he was celebrating himself. It makes no difference whatsoever to me whether a ref was there or not.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

So you mention Love is a bust, yet expect the Steelers to trade for him while giving up a 2nd round wide receiver who, despite some on the field antics, has been a great producer for them, along with a 3rd rounder?

Whatever you're smoking, count me in.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love has no value right now at all. It is more likely that AR12 and 17 go to Pittsburgh, and then the Claypool acquisition is very plausible, almost likely.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you all want to trade love & then draft a QB in next draft? if so is there a QB available where we will be picking? & if so will they be an upgrade? I have no idea about college football as not shown on UK TV

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If we are using your trade value chart I say we keep Love, trade Rodgers and use one of the 7 first rounders we get for him to draft another QB.

you thought Love was a late 2nd round talent and your opinion of him has gone down and yet you think we could get Claypool AND a 3rd rounder.

I think the absolute best we could hope to get for Love would be a 4th rounder and that might be a stretch I guess the Cardinals got a 2nd and a 5th for Rosen but I don't think Love was as highly regarded and he has shown even less in his 2 years than Rosen did in 1.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is worth far more to GB than to any other team so IMHO Gute hangs onto him for the duration of his first contract. If he's the starter he'll get the 5th year option applied. If he's still backing up Gute looks to trade him or Keep him cheap as #2.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love has a 5th round option and hes only 2 years into a rookie deal as a QB. That as value. Darnold netted a 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Charlie Whitehurst got 20 picks better in the 2nd round and an additional 3rd and he had never taken a regular season snap.

As I said it is possible the Steelers pick too late to get a QB. They have a nice stable of WRs as is (I imagine they resign Juju as his void years are insane). Theyre unhappy with Claypool as he as openly criticized practice and the celebration circumstance. Again he needs mentorship and some maturation.

We need a receiver, they need a QB. A QB will always net more than the average player as my first paragraph demonstrated. Ultimately though the moral of the story is Gutenkunst is an idiot.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Love has a 5th round option and hes only 2 years into a rookie deal as a QB. That as value. Darnold netted a 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Charlie Whitehurst got 20 picks better in the 2nd round and an additional 3rd and he had never taken a regular season snap.

As I said it is possible the Steelers pick too late to get a QB. They have a nice stable of WRs as is (I imagine they resign Juju as his void years are insane). Theyre unhappy with Claypool as he as openly criticized practice and the celebration circumstance. Again he needs mentorship and some maturation.

We need a receiver, they need a QB. A QB will always net more than the average player as my first paragraph demonstrated. Ultimately though the moral of the story is Gutenkunst is an idiot.
You've got decent reasoning. The problem is that Love has a miserable game on tape (KC). I just do not see the Steelers allocating essentially a 2nd and a 3rd to acquire what may not actually be a 1st round QB.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've got decent reasoning. The problem is that Love has a miserable game on tape (KC). I just do not see the Steelers allocating essentially a 2nd and a 3rd to acquire what may not actually be a 1st round QB.

But is Claypool really worth the headache to Pittsburgh. We have seen this before. AB, Randy Moss, Marshawn Lynch being traded for peanuts as talented players. They just don’t jive in their location.

Maybe he won’t jive here either but at least we are trying to recoup the lost cost on the idiotic Love selection. I cannot understate how stupid of a pick that was.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
But is Claypool really worth the headache to Pittsburgh. We have seen this before. AB, Randy Moss, Marshawn Lynch being traded for peanuts as talented players. They just don’t jive in their location.

Maybe he won’t jive here either but at least we are trying to recoup the lost cost on the idiotic Love selection. I cannot understate how stupid of a pick that was.
We are in total agreement on the idiocy of the Love pick. And to be honest, I'd love Claypool. But only if AR were here to keep him in check. And I still don't think the Steelers pull the trigger. Maybe so though.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying but there are always a few QB needy teams that might just overpay. As a previous poster mentioned Rosen and then Carolina traded for Darnold.

D

Deleted member 6794

hopefully they wouldn’t …. and I agree with you that they wouldn’t….. but after watching his antics on Thursday night … I don’t want him anywhere near the Packers’ roster.

I didn't watch Thursday's game so I can't say anything about it. I would like to have Claypool on the roster when solely evaluating his talent though.

Im not sure about McCoy, certainly not Smith IMO but thanks.

In my opinion neither McCoy nor Smith would be able to carry the Packers into the playoffs next season but present an upgrade over Bortles.

Actually I don't think there's a backup quarterback out there who would win enough games for the Packers to make the postseason next year.
As I said it is possible the Steelers pick too late to get a QB. They have a nice stable of WRs as is (I imagine they resign Juju as his void years are insane).

The void years the Steelers added to JuJu's contract will result in $5.6 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2022 no matter if they re-sign him or let him walk away in free agency next offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online