The Importance of Turnovers

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be one of those interesting 'guess who we're talking about' areas. Don't know, but I'll bet there are some examples like 'this team was fifth in (one of the differentials) in 20xx', and it was the Jaguars/Raiders/Browns, et. al.

D

Deleted member 6794

This might be one of those interesting 'guess who we're talking about' areas. Don't know, but I'll bet there are some examples like 'this team was fifth in (one of the differentials) in 20xx', and it was the Jaguars/Raiders/Browns, et. al.

Well, over the last five season 30 out of the 35 teams (ties for fifth included) that finished in the top 5 in turnover differential made the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While I agree TO differential is an important stat. and a team always strives to be on the plus side of it, IMO if you only look at it alone, you don't see the big picture.
But that's true of every stat. And since it's a team game and you named this thread, "The importance of TOs", IMO TO differential relates more to the topic and to the big picture than just concentrating on defensive takeaways. IOW, both sides of the ball are a bigger picture than just one side. Now if the title of the thread was “The importance of Takeaways”…

Regarding the bigger picture on D, takeaways only tell part of the story. For example, Denver tied for 7th in takeaways with twelve fewer than the leading Panthers. The Packers finished with just 5 fewer than the great Bronco’s D and the team overall was better overall regarding TOs. And as we all know, even those numbers don’t tell the whole story: An INT in the fourth quarter of a tight game is much, much more important than 2 INTs in a 40 point blowout.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But that's true of every stat. And since it's a team game and you named this thread, "The importance of TOs", IMO TO differential relates more to the topic and to the big picture than just concentrating on defensive takeaways.
I never said you solely concentrate on defensive takeaways. IMO the big picture on turnovers relates to how well each unit (offense/defense)individually does in that department. Combining the two is just a stat as to how TO's in general mathematically balanced out for a team over a game or season. Looking at them separately tells you how good your offense is at not turning the ball over and how good your defense is at taking the ball away. Did the Packer defense have a statistically good year in the way of takeaways because the TO Differential was favorable?

The whole point of my thread was this very point. If you want to view how the Packers Team as a whole fared in 2015 in regards to TO's....sure look at the differential. But if you want to evaluate how good the Packers offense was at not turning the ball over and how good their defense was at taking the ball away, I think you miss the important numbers by looking only at the differential. The big picture in my eyes, The offense was very good, the defense not so good in the TO dept.

Regarding the bigger picture on D, takeaways only tell part of the story.
You also have to apply this theory with offensive turnovers as well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The 2012 Bears Defense was a takeaway machine, 44 takeaways along with 8 pick 6's. Too bad (for them) their offense still sucked.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts