The difference was A.J. Hawk

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
12 tackles 5 yards downfield is decent. Was AJ ever in the backfield today? The answer is no. That sack was nothing special either.

Actually he was in the backfield two or three times when they didnt run to his side and he nearly made the play on all occasions. Lol "that sack was nothing special either" wow you are hard to please. Yes it was a coverage sack, but who forced Harrington to run out of the pocket in the first place?

1. This ain't horsehoes, I don't care how many times ne "nearly made a play."

2. It wasn't AJ who forced Joey out of the pocket. It was pressure from the left side of the line. AJ came from the right and that's where Joey ran because AJ didn't get home.

Lol AJ came in against the RB and went around him. Harrington slipped under and ran to the right stepping forward first. AJ then with constant pressure(if you think that's a coverage sack then you dont know about throwing the ball across body with a 245 lber bearing down on you) chased him down.

I mention that because getting around the ball often is very important for a rook LBer. You know what? This is silly. Twelve tackles and a sack..nuff said. The Packers won and I'm happy about it.

You're right. Like Vince said, stats are for losers.

The problem with that is Vince actually would know wether or not AJ had a good game.

I don't agree that Hawk was "the difference" but he made his prescence known and continues to improve. While saying he was the difference is giving him too much glory, you seem to be at the opposite extreme and are being WAY too harsh on his good game.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a realistic assessment of his play is the opposite extreme then I guess that's where I am.

AJ was not a difference maker today, Woodson was, Driver was, Green was and Favre was. AJ played no better than Harris or Barnett. He was decent, he was solid, he was not spectacular.

He's getting better, but he's not a consistent difference maker yet and he certainly wasn't today (and he may never be). I'm not going to give him more credit than he's due just because he's a #5 pick and we all want him to become a special player.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a realistic assessment of his play is the opposite extreme then I guess that's where I am.

AJ was not a difference maker today, Woodson was, Driver was, Green was and Favre was. AJ played no better than Harris or Barnett. He was decent, he was solid, he was not spectacular.

He's getting better, but he's not a consistent difference maker yet and he certainly wasn't today (and he may never be). I'm not going to give him more credit than he's due just because he's a #5 pick and we all want him to become a special player.

"that sack was nothing special either" yeah that's REALLY realistic. No, you're the opposite extreme. That's just my opinion, anyways. I do think barnett had a good game, though.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stand by that. The sack was nothing special. He was in the right place at the right time.

Barnett was solid too today. He and Hawk played about as well as each other. Neither was a difference maker though.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stand by that. The sack was nothing special. He was in the right place at the right time.

Barnett was solid too today. He and Hawk played about as well as each other. Neither was a difference maker though.

Well Hawk sure had to run like hell to "be in the right place at the right time" which is in fact possibly the lamest argument against a good play I've ever seen as I tend to hear "the great ones are in the right place at the right time" quite often. Hawk led the team in tackles today and had a sack that helped hold Miami to a FG when they were driving on us at the end of the first half. As I agree he wasn't THE difference, but he was a difference maker.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with this assesment. The Mask had an average game. I expect much more out of the Mask though. Yes he is a rookie so i will give him some time.

By the way, Woodson was worth every penny. The guy is awesome.

I'll say this, he is not a weak link, which is about all you can expect out of any rookie. I think with some more time, The Mask will get more comfortable in there and start blowing things up the way Urlacher does. Once his football intelligence and instincts catch up with his athletic ability, i think The Mask will be awesome.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

Well Hawk sure had to run like hell to "be in the right place at the right time" which is in fact possibly the lamest argument against a good play I've ever seen as I tend to hear "the great ones are in the right place at the right time" quite often. Hawk led the team in tackles today and had a sack that helped hold Miami to a FG when they were driving on us at the end of the first half. As I agree he wasn't THE difference, but he was a difference maker.

If Barnett had been on that side of the field, he would have had the sack, same with Poppinga. It was nothing special that Hawk did. All he really did was get stoned by a running back on his blitz attempt. He did show some speed getting to the QB after that RB let him go, but it was hardly impressive.

It's obvious that you think that it was a better play than I do. To each his own.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

If Barnett had been on that side of the field, he would have had the sack, same with Poppinga. It was nothing special that Hawk did. All he really did was get stoned by a running back on his blitz attempt. He did show some speed getting to the QB after that RB let him go, but it was hardly impressive.

It's obvious that you think that it was a better play than I do. To each his own.

Another lame attempt at demeaning a good play. You make that claim for any play in the history of the NFL especially on defense. "Well if someone else was there instead of Hawk" I mean what is that? You act as if Harrington just slipped and fell into Hawks arms. That sounds desperate. Not to mention Hawk didn't get "stoned" by anyone as he tried to get on the outside of the RB and ran around him. Hawk then chased him down.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

Another lame attempt at demeaning a good play. You make that claim for any play in the history of the NFL especially on defense. "Well if someone else was there instead of Hawk" I mean what is that? You act as if Harrington just slipped and fell into Hawks arms. That sounds desperate. Not to mention Hawk didn't get "stoned" by anyone as he tried to get on the outside of the RB and ran around him. Hawk then chased him down.

Hawk got totally stoned by the RB on that play. I totally agree with TOP.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't even collide on that play hardly. He ran around him then came back and chased down Harrington.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

Sounds a lot like your quote about Mark Anderson Cory. You can't have it both ways. Do players benifit from the guy playing next to him or not? You are going in both directions here.

Gawd, stop putting words in peoples mouths. He never said Anderson sucks. He said the guy gets alot of help from playing next to people like Tommie Harris(pro bowler and better than Warren Sapp in Sapp's prime). ~ Cory

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

Sounds a lot like your quote about Mark Anderson Cory. You can't have it both ways. Do players benifit from the guy playing next to him or not? You are going in both directions here.

Gawd, stop putting words in peoples mouths. He never said Anderson sucks. He said the guy gets alot of help from playing next to people like Tommie Harris(pro bowler and better than Warren Sapp in Sapp's prime). ~ Cory

Actually Phil the two quotes are completely different. It's irrelvent now anyways as I have said I think now TWICE that not only is Anderson a great pass rusher, but most likely to win DROY. But how is a quote about players benefiting from others around him comparable to saying that "well if barnett was there instead of hawk" or something of that sort. Now If I had said "well if alex brown had gotten those sacks instead of anderson..." then THAT would be the same thing.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

Actually Phil the two quotes are completely different. It's irrelvent now anyways as I have said I think now TWICE that not only is Anderson a great pass rusher, but most likely to win DROY. But how is a quote about players benefiting from others around him comparable to saying that "well if barnett was there instead of hawk" or something of that sort. Now If I had said "well if alex brown had gotten those sacks instead of anderson..." then THAT would be the same thing.

Fair enough.
I stand corrected

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil, the Bears are 6-0 and look to be one of the top 2 teams in the league if not THE top team in the league(I'm actually kind of interested in seeing a Bears-Colts SuperBowl possibly) and the packers got a win today against a team they should beat so frankly I'm happy. I know you have to be as well with the Bears success.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol why are you even discussing this? AJ had a good game and we won, instead of being happy you start a fight :p

Heck, Im THRILLED with the Packers win just as TO is...We have a disagreement, but rest assured I can guarantee you both of us as Packer fans are thrilled at a W this week. The only fustrating thing is the fact we very easily could be 4-2.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
lol why are you even discussing this? AJ had a good game and we won, instead of being happy you start a fight :p

Heck, Im THRILLED with the Packers win just as TO is...We have a disagreement, but rest assured I can guarantee you both of us as Packer fans are thrilled at a W this week. The only fustrating thing is the fact we very easily could be 4-2.

Or 0-6. Detroit had a fair number of drops, and the 'phins did for sure. But they didn't, so you are 2-4.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm just being confused why fans question the performance of a rookie LB who gets 12 tackles and a sack. What the hell do people expect? A LB is NOT normally a player who can turn a game around, like a QB or WR. He's in there to make tackles and sometimes cover a receiver. After the Bears beat the Cards, everyone was lauding Urlacher for a dozen or so tackles. Urlacher himself laughed and said, ..."nobody was blocking me!" Now if no one was trying to block AJ, how many tackles would he have made? No body knows but we can guess. AJ Hawk is a great pick for our Packers and will get even better in the future. How anyone can trash him for not being perfect is beyond me. I'm glad he doesn't read this forum. It would leave him scratching his head in disappointment at some of his "fans."

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you watch the Bears THAT close you will see Mr. Urlacher getting "blown up" four or five plays as well. He gets tangled up in there and taken out by a guard or FB from time to time. He makes his share of tackles four or five yards downfield too if you take notice.

The point is he is a train wreck the majority of the time and creating heck in there both against the pass and the run. I think it's safe to say Hawk had one of those types of games Sunday.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
GakkofNorway said:

Or 0-6. Detroit had a fair number of drops, and the 'phins did for sure. But they didn't, so you are 2-4.

We aren't without our mistakes that could have given the Lions and Phins the game, too. Fact is yes we are 2-4, but had the rams on the ropes and practically gave the game to NO. Credit to both of those teams for coming out with the W for sure I'm not taking that away from them.