1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The difference was A.J. Hawk

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Oct 22, 2006.

1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think one of the big differences on defense was having AJ Hawk out there every play. In previous games, he wouldnt play in the nickel and dime packages. this game...he did.

9 tackles
    1 sack
    3 assists

the kid is nicccccccccce!

2. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He was a stud today. Good to see him get in a groove.

3. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    yea, he had a good game, 6 of those tackles where in the first half.

4. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not to correct you tro, but AJ has been playing on the nickle packages all year. The dime no...They had all 3 linebackers out there on the final Phins attempt. Wow how Nick Saban has fallen.

5. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Hawk has been one of the better draft choices for the NFL him and Jennings are great. But Hawk looks like he has been out there for 5 or 6 years and not a rookie

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    just going by what i heard on tv, since they talk to coaches\players more than we do.

7. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    and 6 in the second half. Consistancy! :) Not to mention a big play on the sack on third down to hold them to a FG.

8. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He was decent at best. I watched him most of the time the Pack was on defense and he still didn't get to the quarterback and was simply blown up on four separate occasions that I can remember. He had a Barnett type game tonight: i.e. a bunch of tackles 4-5 yards downfield and a coverage sack.

9. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Was it todays announcers you heard it from? Because they were awful. They were actually getting the players wrong all day.

10. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    honestly, i think it was woodson that was the differnce maker.

11. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol decent at best. 12 tackles and a sack is "decent" at best. Got blown up? Yeah I saw on one or two plays, but you will find that with every single LBer in the NFL from time to time. Over 70 plays on offense you think it's going to be perfect every time?

12. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can agree with that because Woodson definately earned his paycheck today. Wow he is our best DB easy.

13. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    12 tackles 5 yards downfield is decent. Was AJ ever in the backfield today? The answer is no. That sack was nothing special either.

14. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree Hawk played great and Woodsen stepped up, now we need to get Harris to step up and the defense would look a lot better.

15. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually he was in the backfield two or three times when they didnt run to his side and he nearly made the play on all occasions. Lol "that sack was nothing special either" wow you are hard to please. Yes it was a coverage sack, but who forced Harrington to run out of the pocket in the first place?

16. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Very Huge in this game trom, thanks for his stats !!!

17. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    1. This ain't horsehoes, I don't care how many times ne "nearly made a play."

2. It wasn't AJ who forced Joey out of the pocket. It was pressure from the left side of the line. AJ came from the right and that's where Joey ran because AJ didn't get home.

18. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TO, wouldn't it be a good thing to say that AJ "nearly made a play" because since he is so young, it shows he has the ability to be in on almost every play, then perhaps he could translate those "nearly making a play" into big plays?

19. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol AJ came in against the RB and went around him. Harrington slipped under and ran to the right stepping forward first. AJ then with constant pressure(if you think that's a coverage sack then you dont know about throwing the ball across body with a 245 lber bearing down on you) chased him down.

I mention that because getting around the ball often is very important for a rook LBer. You know what? This is silly. Twelve tackles and a sack..nuff said. The Packers won and I'm happy about it.

20. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Only if he's playing horsehoes or tossing handgrenades.

21. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right. Like Vince said, stats are for losers.

22. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, this ain't horseshoes, and that's why his 9 tackles, 3 assists, and 1 sack are significant. He wasn't just close on those plays, he MADE them. It was not a perfect game for Hawk, but he played well.

23. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Right, but that was a response to a post crediting him for "nearly making a play." AJ was solid today. He wasn't special.

24. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, hopefully this is something he can continue to build on. We desperately need him to be that special player.

25. scotty

scotty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be handing out too many game balls to anyone on defense personally; the 'Phins scored 24, and on several of those drives, they looked like they could have (or should have) scored a lot more. They had a lot of dropped passes (thank goodness).

Hawk made his presence known and did his job, as did Woodson and most of the other defenders. Nothing spectacular, but enough to win, and a good building game. jmho. The real story might be how some of the Packers receivers stepped it up to make some crucial catches. Way to go Pack!