The Defense: What Went Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was the second disappointing performance by a defense that I thought would be pretty good this season (and may still be good--I haven't given up on them yet). This time, they started with a great pass rush, which led to some turnovers. Kampman, KGB, Montgomery, and Jenkins all had their moments early on. The run defense remained stout throughout the game, but the pass rush completely dried up as the game continued. I don't get it. When you stop the other team's running game, your pass rushers should be able to play aggressively and take over the game.

Why didn't that happen? I'm not sure. What I did see was that the Saints went after the weak links in our pass defense. They avoided Harris and Woodson and went after Nick Collins, Ahmad Carroll, and Brady Poppinga. They also went after that Bush guy, #24, on at least one play. That was their whole strategy, really. Poppinga is coming off an injury and should improve. Collins is just beginning his second year, and hopefully he will get his act together soon. He did make some good plays today--just not enough to make up for the awful ones. As for Carroll--I'll just say that Thompson needs to draft a CB in the early rounds next year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont label the whole defense as bad.

the run D is great.
the pass D is garbage, and didn't improve one bit this week.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we had absolutly no pressure from the end of the first half on.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was terrible to see the Pack fall apart on Defense especially to a mediocre WR corps. Who would have thought the pass defense would be so bad?

I thought this would be the bright spot on this team. The run defense isn't great but I thought it would be worse than the pass defense. Instead it's the other way around

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
It was terrible to see the Pack fall apart on Defense especially to a mediocre WR corps. Who would have thought the pass defense would be so bad?

I thought this would be the bright spot on this team. The run defense isn't great but I thought it would be worse than the pass defense. Instead it's the other way around

Medicore?? C'mon man the Packers just made Pro Bowlers out of the WR tandem for the Saints.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MCnabb is going to kill our pass d when week 3 comes.

i think he will have over 350 yrads on our pass d.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
majikman said:
What went wrong?

They fired Bates. That's what went wrong.

Jim Bates was not fired from the Packers. Bates was desired to stay by Ted and Mike, however Bates felt it was time to move on.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats the kind of misinformation and lies, and ignorance that hurts this website.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You say Tomatoes..I say Tomahtoes..

Fired..Pissed off..However you want to call it.

TT didn't do what Washington did which was give their DC a promotion and a raise to stay around.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
majikman said:

TT didn't do what Washington did which was give their DC a promotion and a raise to stay around.

Brett forced Don Majkowski into retirement too right?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:

They offered to Bates to come back with open arms. Bates declined because he felt he should've been Head Coach and it may of created an "weird" situation. It was his decision to leave. No one elses.

Edit: Blame TT for hiring McCarthy over Bates if you want but not for something that is just untrue.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
thats the kind of misinformation and lies, and ignorance that hurts this website.

Oh C'mon Trom, you know Bates was LET GO because they wouldn't give him the Head Coaching job. He proved his worth and TT thought it would be better to go with the 49ers offensive coordinator of all people.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
majikman said:

No Brett was BETTER than Majkowski and he won the job. McCarthy was handed the job.

Brett Earned it.
McCarthy was the O Coordinator of the WORST offensive team in the league and was handed it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
majikman said:

No Brett was BETTER than Majkowski and he won the job. McCarthy was handed the job.

Brett Earned it.
McCarthy was the O Coordinator of the WORST offensive team in the league and was handed it.

Although I don't think McCarthy should've been the Head Coach and guys like Jim Bates and Ron Rivera would've been better hires.

I will defend him and say the previous 4 years in New Orleans he fielded a top 10 offense every year including an NFC best in 2001 I think it was. So McCarthy does have a good mind for an offense but he might end up being a Norv Turner. Can't cut it as Head coach and should stay on as a Coordinator.

We'll see but so far I have no idea why anyone would chose McCarthy over Bates. :-?

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
majikman said:

Nope..Freddie Joe Nunn did. Slammed him to the ground out of bounds and he tore his rotator cuff. Was never really the same after that--although Chad Pennington came back from it--maybe the Drs. are better today.

I really liked Majik and thought he could have had a great career. But talk about someone who was really surrounded with no talent. It was a miracle that he won 9 games with the Pack in '89 and passed for over 4,000 yards, second to Joe Montana that year.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was excited to see that my post generated 17 responses. Then I read them, and it's just the same old stuff. Doesn't anybody care about the players and coaches we actually have on our team right now? Or are we just going to endlessly rehash things that were argued about through the entire offseason? What a drag.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What can you really say about them?

They played poorly today. And last week too.

Hope they get better...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
This was the second disappointing performance by a defense that I thought would be pretty good this season (and may still be good--I haven't given up on them yet). This time, they started with a great pass rush, which led to some turnovers. Kampman, KGB, Montgomery, and Jenkins all had their moments early on. The run defense remained stout throughout the game, but the pass rush completely dried up as the game continued. I don't get it. When you stop the other team's running game, your pass rushers should be able to play aggressively and take over the game.

Why didn't that happen? I'm not sure. What I did see was that the Saints went after the weak links in our pass defense. They avoided Harris and Woodson and went after Nick Collins, Ahmad Carroll, and Brady Poppinga. They also went after that Bush guy, #24, on at least one play. That was their whole strategy, really. Poppinga is coming off an injury and should improve. Collins is just beginning his second year, and hopefully he will get his act together soon. He did make some good plays today--just not enough to make up for the awful ones. As for Carroll--I'll just say that Thompson needs to draft a CB in the early rounds next year.

The Saints after the first quarter had all the time in the world to throw. I don't know what went wrong, but I do know we need to do something about it. I really think we should be blitzing more. Bates was good at mixing up blitzes. We should do that, because we're just not getting enough pressure from our front four. Any QB in the NFL is going to be good with that much time.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:

Oh C'mon Trom, you know Bates was LET GO because they wouldn't give him the Head Coaching job. He proved his worth and TT thought it would be better to go with the 49ers offensive coordinator of all people.

Don't question TT and don't question Trom, they are one in the same, connected by Trom's head up TT's a........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts