The Big Choice

Which option do you want the Packers to pursue?

• Kick the cap can down the road and try to run it back.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Gut the roster, take your cap medicine, and usher in the new era.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not certain the Broncos would even consider giving up a weapon they could use with Rodgers coming in.

They need to get Rodgers in the door first. If the Packer's demand an offensive piece back well then... Denver can say no and find someone else to find to throw the ball around.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to get Rodgers in the door first. If the Packer's demand an offensive piece back well then... Denver can say no and find someone else to find to throw the ball around.

Broncos have Jeudy and three others that had over 600 yards this year in Fant, Tim Patrick and Courtland Sutton. Not too mention also was rookie Albert Okwuegbunam.

Their RB tandem this past year of Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams both put forth 900 yards.

I believe all of them are still there in 2022, maybe not Ingram.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all kind of conjecture, no doubt about it. I don't have a clue if the Broncos would even discuss getting Rodgers to be honest. We're kind of pointing at who they hired as a head coach, since he was a Packer coach. I guess we're going to have to wait and see what plays out.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broncos have Jeudy and three others that had over 600 yards this year in Fant, Tim Patrick and Courtland Sutton. Not too mention also was rookie Albert Okwuegbunam.

Their RB tandem this past year of Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams both put forth 900 yards.

I believe all of them are still there in 2022, maybe not Ingram.
Plus their defense was solid. Rodgers would make them an instant contender I'd guess.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all kind of conjecture, no doubt about it. I don't have a clue if the Broncos would even discuss getting Rodgers to be honest. We're kind of pointing at who they hired as a head coach, since he was a Packer coach. I guess we're going to have to wait and see what plays out.

I thought Denver made the most sense even before the coaching hire. AFC, cap space, weapons, QB need, plus the links to Shailene. Although, could probably put Pittsburgh 1b from a pure football perspective.

He isn't going to a garbage team and not going to the NFC unless that really is the only option.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Denver made the most sense even before the coaching hire. AFC, cap space, weapons, QB need, plus the links to Shailene. Although, could probably put Pittsburgh 1b from a pure football perspective.

He isn't going to a garbage team and not going to the NFC unless that really is the only option.
Your last sentence about him not going to a garbage team is something he stated straight out within the last couple of days. He's not interested in a rebuilding team. They'd be garbage. It narrows the scope of where he would be willing to go. I still believe the 49ers are possible, the Broncos are possible, and ... I just don't know. We could be surprised, but based on his statements, it would be someone West of the Mississippi River.

Reaction score
Your last sentence about him not going to a garbage team is something he stated straight out within the last couple of days. He's not interested in a rebuilding team. They'd be garbage. It narrows the scope of where he would be willing to go. I still believe the 49ers are possible, the Broncos are possible, and ... I just don't know. We could be surprised, but based on his statements, it would be someone West of the Mississippi River.
As much as I don’t like it. IF he gets traded the 49ers would likely be in his top 2-3 list. It just might be one of the few palatable trades he might find acceptable.
We may want to consider it if Denver isn’t cooperative. We could likely ask for more draft selections across multiple drafts due to SF picking so late in the draft.
I don’t like it. Yet if we get too greedy a trade could blow up in our face. Possible asking for several Day1 and several Day2 selections across 2-3 seasons would work. As I’ve said earlier. I wouldn’t mind giving Love a chance and possibly trading back outside of Day 1 with one selection to beef up the number of early draft selections in 2023. We could use those to draft another QB if Love doesn’t impress. If he does we could load up through draft talent while Love is under a Rookie contract. It also helps straighten out our Cap dilemma pretty fast

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I don’t like it. IF he gets traded the 49ers would likely be in his top 2-3 list. It just might be one of the few palatable trades he might find acceptable.
We may want to consider it if Denver isn’t cooperative. We could likely ask for more draft selections across multiple drafts due to SF picking so late in the draft.
I don’t like it. Yet if we get too greedy a trade could blow up in our face. Possible asking for several Day1 and several Day2 selections across 2-3 seasons would work. As I’ve said earlier. I wouldn’t mind giving Love a chance and possibly trading back outside of Day 1 with one selection to beef up the number of early draft selections in 2023. We could use those to draft another QB if Love doesn’t impress. If he does we could load up through draft talent while Love is under a Rookie contract. It also helps straighten out our Cap dilemma pretty fast
San Fran traded away their 1st & 3rd round picks in '22 AND '23...they have no draft ammo left, they won't be a player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much about this whole thing. IF the decision is to push all reason aside in the financial side of things - well not aside just into the future, for 2022...Gute and Rodgers had better be prepared for the repercussions for such actions.

IF you make this call, it is my decision you have to win the SB or it is also my opinion Gute will deservingly so deserve to be fired for the gamble and Rodgers, with credence, should hold some strong criticism of his claimed 'affection for Green Bay'.

The question is not whether Green Bay can make a 2022 team where Rodgers is part of it...the question is should a franchise literally sacrifice the future, possibly for decades with a gamble we've been making for how many years now? With a cap issue that will all but eliminate any kind of serious spending EVEN if you push millions more (50+ last year pushed) into future years.

I'm coming down some on the emotional ride Packers nation has went through past couple weeks - and as much as it sucks, seeing a season without 12 - I strongly would rather see my franchise fight to stay alive than enter serious dark years in trade for one year. One year that will be similar to all the 10 before...which have been good, but not great - and never end ultimately with the prize everyone wants.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick plug for the hidden legend of Packer football, Jack Vainisi was the team's director of Personnel and Talent Scout from 1950 until 1960. He's credited in some circles with creating the first modern approach to the NFL draft. He was responsible for drafting much of the HoF talent that Lombardi relied on and was chiefly responsible for bringing Lombardi to GB. Kind of wonder what might have been if he didn't die at 33 years old in 1960. Had he been running the drafts in the 60s the Packers might have dominated the 70s as well.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Excellent point! He would have made a great GM after Lombardi left imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

The question is not whether Green Bay can make a 2022 team where Rodgers is part of it...the question is should a franchise literally sacrifice the future, possibly for decades with a gamble we've been making for how many years now? With a cap issue that will all but eliminate any kind of serious spending EVEN if you push millions more (50+ last year pushed) into future years.

The Packers pushing cap hits into future years won't sacrifice the future for several years let alone decades.

It's entirely possible to get back on track in a single rebuilding season, something that was bound to happen once Rodgers isn't around anymore anyway.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
San Fran traded away their 1st & 3rd round picks in '22 AND '23...they have no draft ammo left, they won't be a player.

I've read a few rumors where the Packers want draft picks and not players. Also, I don't believe the Packers would want a trade with any NFC team unless it was much better than any offer an AFC team makes . With that said, would Trey Lance packaged with 2nd round picks and other players be a possibility? I don't see it unless someone at 1265 Lombardi Ave has an Al Davis senior moment but thought I would put it out there. Gotta get the post count up!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read a few rumors where the Packers want draft picks and not players. Also, I don't believe the Packers would want a trade with any NFC team unless it was much better than any offer an AFC team makes . With that said, would Trey Lance packaged with 2nd round picks and other players be a possibility? I don't see it unless someone at 1265 Lombardi Ave has an Al Davis senior moment but thought I would put it out there. Gotta get the post count up!

It will be AFC if traded for sure in my mind...which is fine because the teams with the most QB need and cap space reside in the AFC.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has Lance shown on the NFL field that eclipses Jordan Love? Nothing, IMHO... big, athletic, loads of potential, inaccurate down field, needs more time to develop, not much high-level experience. No thanks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not certain the Broncos would even consider giving up a weapon they could use with Rodgers coming in. I understand the idea behind what you guys are saying, but if I'm the Broncos, I'm not going to even consider that option. My objective is to win a Lombardi Trophy, and giving Rodgers the weapons to do it is what it's all about.

Just my opinion.

The idea in this scenario would be that the Broncos are probably also getting Adams. If not, the Broncos still have more receiving weapons even if they do trade Jeudy. None are as good as Adams (obviously) but Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick, Noah Fant, and KJ Hamler is a deeper group of receiving options than what he's had with the Packers. As we've seen in the playoffs, one receiving option can be limited by the defense when they're willing to sell out to stop Adams.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea in this scenario would be that the Broncos are probably also getting Adams. If not, the Broncos still have more receiving weapons even if they do trade Jeudy. None are as good as Adams (obviously) but Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick, Noah Fant, and KJ Hamler is a deeper group of receiving options than what he's had with the Packers. As we've seen in the playoffs, one receiving option can be limited by the defense when they're willing to sell out to stop Adams.

You forgot their rookie TE that is contributing early Albert Okwuegbunam.

I also brought up earlier in the thread that this past year of Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams both put forth 900 yards - so some would argue they have a better two headed monster and diverse offense than he would have here.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has Lance shown on the NFL field that eclipses Jordan Love? Nothing, IMHO... big, athletic, loads of potential, inaccurate down field, needs more time to develop, not much high-level experience. No thanks.

The crass answer would be that Lance has won a game starting. Realistic answer is he's not shown anything, but for rookies/1st year starters, what they did on the college field also matters.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers leaves, then I'll be amazed if the Packers don't bring back Adams OR get a young, elite receiver in a Rodgers trade. Gute gambled a LOT when he traded up for Love rather than getting a receiver like Higgins or Pittman Jr. Gute is NOT going to want his gamble look awful and I just don't see a way that Love even has a chance to look decent with a receiving group lead by MVS or Lazard.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers leaves, then I'll be amazed if the Packers don't bring back Adams OR get a young, elite receiver in a Rodgers trade. Gute gambled a LOT when he traded up for Love rather than getting a receiver like Higgins or Pittman Jr. Gute is NOT going to want his gamble look awful and I just don't see a way that Love even has a chance to look decent with a receiving group lead by MVS or Lazard.

IF the pages are turned to Love there will be money for a free agent brought in, not near the level of Adams (no one is) but someone...also I suspect some serious draft equity will be spent as well - the class is one I love a lot of guys that most likely will be there between 25-95 picks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF the pages are turned to Love there will be money for a free agent brought in, not near the level of Adams (no one is) but someone...also I suspect some serious draft equity will be spent as well - the class is one I love a lot of guys that most likely will be there between 25-95 picks.

Not sure there's any scenario that leaves the Packers with a decent amount of cap space and I'd be hesitant to trust a rookie receiver to help out a first year starting QB. Maybe it comes to pass, but if so then Love is going to have to have the best 1st-year starting season of a QB in recent NFL history to look good.

Reaction score
I am in the boat of if Rodgers is done, burn it all down and let a new era of greatness rise out of the ashes (hopefully greatness). I would rather get the inevitable rebuild over with sooner rather than later.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure there's any scenario that leaves the Packers with a decent amount of cap space and I'd be hesitant to trust a rookie receiver to help out a first year starting QB. Maybe it comes to pass, but if so then Love is going to have to have the best 1st-year starting season of a QB in recent NFL history to look good.

Oh there would be space. Trading Rodgers has an estimated savings of 19M or so.

Cut Z - $15M
Cut Turner - just shy of $5M
Cut Cobb - $2.78M
Cut Crosby - $2.34M turn that page at same time
Cut or rework Lowry - around $3-$4M
Extend Jaire - $7M-$10M depending how you structure it
Cut or extend Preston- $7M or less if extended

You are at $12M+ in the good now to the cap already...

With options to save

trade/cut/extend Amos due to hit us for basically $12M
Big Dog cut saves $1.5M and if restarting with Love may as well
Kenny Clark due $20M - could extend him if he is part of your future plans lessoning hit now somewhat. A restructured conversion of base salary to minimum would save $4.5M

If going to Love you could easily get to around $14-$20M in the good.
Few WRs from last year signed in free agency and per year hit avv

AJ Green $6M
Emmanuel Sanders $6M
Sammy Watkins $5M
John Brown $3.75M
Desean Jackson $2M
TY Hilton $8M
Will Fuller $10.625M

Few guys many say will be in range below $10M/Year this year:

JuJu Smith-Schuster $8M
Will Fuller $10M
Jamison Crowder $4.5M
MVS $8M
Sammy Watkins $6M
Keelan Cole $2M

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offseason presents the Packers front office with a pretty huge decision.

They need to decide what they're going to do with Aaron Rodgers.

Option #1 would be to use cap trickery (voidable years, bad extensions, restructures, etc.) to push their bad cap situation further out one more season so you can keep Rodgers and try again. It wouldn't make sense to do that if you had to gut the roster. The pro is obvious-- you keep an MVP quarterback and take another shot at the super bowl. The con is also clear-- you pile up more cap pain for yourself down the road and you have the opportunity cost of not trading Rodgers for a bunch of assets. The other consideration is that, even with a lot of creativity around the cap, it may be impossible to keep everyone you really do want to keep.

Option #2 would be to accept this as the end of the Rodgers era and start trading/cutting players, accruing capital, and ushering in the next phase of Packers football. The pro here is that you get your cap pain out of the way and you gain a lot of resources towards the rebuild. The con is simply that you no longer have an MVP caliber QB and a whole host of other great players.
There have been a lot of comments here, and yours was first, but I think you nailed it.

A lot of things have to line up to successfully complete a SB run. That's what made this year's loss so painful. The Packers just weren't prepared and let a game get away to an inferior opponent. No point rehashing the whys of the loss. It's just sad that it happened in a year when the Packers were uniquely qualified to win it all.

I think they have one more chance with Rodgers (and that has to include Adams). Yeah some good players will be lost, like Z and a few others, but being so close, it would be a shame to not go for it......... again. And despite the post-season failures, I still believe with Rodgers as QB, playing as well as ever, there's a good chance.

They can go for it this year - and yeah that requires pushing dollars out farther and making the inevitable slide/rebuild all the worse. But I'd trade all that for a SB, maybe even two. Maybe I'm delusional. I'm certainly heartbroken. Keep Rodgers and Adams and find a way to make it work.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Niners would trade for or be interested in Rodgers. They are looking to trade Jimmy G and gave up a boatload of picks to get Treats Lance. They're good at QB.

I'd prefer Rodgers stays here. Finish what's been started.

Members online

Latest posts