The Big Choice

Which option do you want the Packers to pursue?

• Kick the cap can down the road and try to run it back.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Gut the roster, take your cap medicine, and usher in the new era.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may have already informed him that he's being cut, just not public yet. IF they intend to tag Davante it is inevitable to clear cap space.
He probably sees the writing on the wall but it will be interesting to see what the market is for a 29 year old LB less than a year away from back surgery.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably sees the writing on the wall but it will be interesting to see what the market is for a 29 year old LB less than a year away from back surgery.
He's made $52mil over the last 3 years in GB. I doubt he sees that kind of contract, again, but I could see a 1 year prove it deal for $7-8mil. If so, he may be in line for a 3 or 4 year deal for $10+mil/yr next year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may have already informed him that he's being cut, just not public yet. IF they intend to tag Davante it is inevitable to clear cap space.
Yeah, probably a sign that things are indeed happening that we don't see.
Classy and social media do not belong in the same sentence.
You're right. I'm not gonna fault Z for updating his social media. I think most of us would do that. I am gonna miss the guy though. He had a joy for the game that made watching him play a lot of fun. I wish him the best.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, probably a sign that things are indeed happening that we don't see.

You're right. I'm not gonna fault Z for updating his social media. I think most of us would do that. I am gonna miss the guy though. He had a joy for the game that made watching him play a lot of fun. I wish him the best.

Eh, disagree and agree. Wiping social media is just another example how out of touch society and many in it are these days. We are a collection of unfathomable encounters and interactions with people throughout our lives, and many times significantly by some for short time frames. Zadarius has Green Bay to thank for one massive family altering payday, a legit close chance (multiple) at a ring to boot…a chance to play with one of his closest player friends in Preston….I get the suck aspect of it but in a year or two or maybe longer it will seem childish even to him because we are formed by our past and work towards our future.

When my fiancé left me after six years of my life I changed my profile pictures sure, edited my profile about me some but still to this day you can find photos of us - is what it is.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, disagree and agree. Wiping social media is just another example how out of touch society and many in it are these days. We are a collection of unfathomable encounters and interactions with people throughout our lives, and many times significantly by some for short time frames. Zadarius has Green Bay to thank for one massive family altering payday, a legit close chance (multiple) at a ring to boot…a chance to play with one of his closest player friends in Preston….I get the suck aspect of it but in a year or two or maybe longer it will seem childish even to him because we are formed by our past and work towards our future.

When my fiancé left me after six years of my life I changed my profile pictures sure, edited my profile about me some but still to this day you can find photos of us - is what it is.
Those are good points. Looking at it from the organization's perspective, it would be foolish and childish to eradicate all references of Z as a Packer. I guess social media just provides us a better chance to be openly shallow.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that this is a win now league. I've always felt that way. And when you have a football program that has won 13 games each of the past 3 seasons under Matt LaFleur, you keep trying to find ways to get over the hump.

I know there's a lot of raw emotion that's spilled out from the game as it relates to Aaron Rodgers. I get it. I understand it. It's totally frustrating. It's not only just the result on the surface, it's the result coupled with the reality that expectations were through the roof. All of us were thinking/hoping for Super Bowl, no question about it.

But I really just don't think some are understanding the potential magnitude of moving on from Rodgers. I get the thought (even though I don't agree) of "Jeez we just cannot win with this guy. Blow it up. Start over". Well...what do you think a Jets fan would say to that? What do you think a Bears fan or a Lions fan would say to that? Those fanbases would absolutely die to have what the Packers have had with Rodgers, being in the mix almost every single year.

The other part of this for me is something not many are thinking critically about:

When Favre was wishy washy and wanting to retire, then wanted to play, etc., the Packers finally just said enough is enough and moved on. You want to know why? Because the team KNEW at least some of what they had in Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. They saw glimpses. They saw tons of potential. And that made it easy on the team to finally say "okay dude. Enough is enough. We're done".

So if fans and media are so sick and tired of Aaron Rodgers.....why doesn't the team feel this way? If they were SO confident in what they have with Love, why wouldn't they take more of a hard line stance? I'll tell you why...it's because they know Love isn't the guy. Either that, or he's still a long way away from giving anyone in the organization the confidence that he could be the guy.

And if you don't have what you are totally confident is the true successor to Rodgers, why in the world would you move off of him? That's the dilemma the Packers are in. If they truly thought they had Mahomes 2.0, or anything even halfway close to that, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

So to wrap it up, you have to do whatever is humanly possible to get Rodgers on board and move forward with him. At least that's my 2 cents.
I agree, you do whatever is possible to win the biggie each and every year, and I don’t believe that especially under Ted Thompson the Packers did this.

To me, if AR does come back, it’s because all parties believe it’s like a three year window to win a Super Bowl or
two. With this being said, it’s a mute point if you don’t use a bunch of creativity to improve this roster one way or another, because you haven’t gotten it done. I hope the hierarchy here doesn’t have Thompson’s philosophy that as long as AR is around you have a shot, because I know damn well that is what Thompson believed.

In this case, the Packers must bring back Adams as well and absolutely have to upgrade the WR position - again, whatever it takes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a different scenario under Ted though. Rodgers was ascending and in prime. They had time to build and cycle a bit. And to his credit, I think he built 2 rosters capable of winning Super Bowls for a number of years each. Obviously we didn’t.

But we weren’t reaching the end, there were a lot of years after to think about. I know that’s kind of the point, but go all in early and it caves next thing you know you have a great qb in his prime on a team that is gutted and coaching changes happen when you don’t win and others leave and turmoil can follow, who knows how it would have gone. Maybe more super bowls, but that certainly wasn’t the only possible outcome.

Now? We can see the end, I’m guessing 3 years or less, likely 2 or less IMO. Maximize and see what can happen now.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now? We can see the end, I’m guessing 3 years or less, likely 2 or less IMO. Maximize and see what can happen now.
With a 2, or maybe 3 year window AND being cap-strapped this is exactly why Gute needs to maximize AR's value...by trading him for 4+ high draft picks. Clear the massive dead cap in one year, forge ahead with a slew of talented young guys and the team is reloaded for the next decade, IMHO.

Reaction score

Um. I don’t want to sound insensitive but hopefully she didn’t sink you for $12,380,000 :confused:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a 2, or maybe 3 year window AND being cap-strapped this is exactly why Gute needs to maximize AR's value...by trading him for 4+ high draft picks. Clear the massive dead cap in one year, forge ahead with a slew of talented young guys and the team is reloaded for the next decade, IMHO.
It's hard to argue with your logic. But too many of us, including me, don't want to lose the security blanket that is Rodgers, especially after two MVPs.

It's a matter of two goals and which one is more important - 1) sell out now for a SB for 2) build a team that can endure and compete, possibly for a SB but that will win 10 or 11 games/year. There's no way the Packers can field a team as good as the last one. Maybe they don't have to. Or trade Rodgers and Adams for a boatload of draft capital and players and 1) turn a very good D into an elite D, 2) shore up weak spots on offense, notable WR, TE and OL depth and roll with it.

I won't be making the decision, so I'll see how it plays out. If I were betting....... Rodgers will stay for two more years, maybe 3.

Reaction score
This has been my point the whole time. When they move on from Rodgers it is a rebuilding year. They might fair okay against the Lions and Bears, but it will be a down year, or what is referred to as a rebuilding year. Why not go all in for one more season with a reasonably good team? Yes, they will likely lose several players, but it's more than possible to re-sign several key guys including Adams. I've broken down the moves it would take several times already for that to happen. I'm not doing it again. All I will say is that the Packers can keep the majority of their offensive players next season. They will lose a few guys on the defense, but even there they can keep a lot of guys.
I think there is a huge difference between needing to get a QB and a complete team rebuild. I would much rather be in the position of just needing a new QB, which is going to happen anyway, vs a complete rebuild.

Don't get me wrong, I get that QB is very important and also that Rodgers is a hall of famer, those don't grow on trees. I do think that we are looking at 1-3 down seasons when Rodgers is gone until Love develops or we find a new QB. I also think we are going to have to make up for losing Rodger's production to remain a super bowl contender if Love/the next QB isn't as good, whether that is through having a top 10 defense/running game or getting another big-time playmaker in the passing game that can carry the team.

However, having to do a complete team rebuild may destroy our future and ensure a long down period.

I am not even saying we should get rid of Rodgers; I do think that we should keep him if we can avoid this scenario, but if not, then I do think it is time to move on.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to argue with your logic. But too many of us, including me, don't want to lose the security blanket that is Rodgers, especially after two MVPs.

It's a matter of two goals and which one is more important - 1) sell out now for a SB for 2) build a team that can endure and compete, possibly for a SB but that will win 10 or 11 games/year. There's no way the Packers can field a team as good as the last one. Maybe they don't have to. Or trade Rodgers and Adams for a boatload of draft capital and players and 1) turn a very good D into an elite D, 2) shore up weak spots on offense, notable WR, TE and OL depth and roll with it.

I won't be making the decision, so I'll see how it plays out. If I were betting....... Rodgers will stay for two more years, maybe 3.
You forgot the most notable weak spot on offense if we trade Rodgers.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers ain't leaving. Love is. The Packers are going to try to retool for a 3 year run at the whole thing. Of course that means it's a two year run, and the last one will be a trip through cap hell, as they shed contracts.

The Packers front office is showing the love to Rodgers, and dumping the Love on the market.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cross-posted from another thread, but applicable here, also.

FYI ~ Jordan Love is 23, turns 24 in November. He is currently the same age as (or a few months older than) '22 QB draftees: Des Ridder, Matt Corral, and is younger than Kenny Pickett. He's 8 months older than Malik Willis. Some "draft experts" are saying Love would've been a top-tier QB if he was in this draft, but he's already had 2 years of NFL coaching.

Trading Love away would be a huge mistake, IMHO.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading Love away would be a huge mistake, IMHO.
You could be right. The problem is, they can use the draft pick, or picks, to shore up problem areas. That will more than likely be the deciding factor.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be right. The problem is, they can use the draft pick, or picks, to shore up problem areas. That will more than likely be the deciding factor.

LOL a 3rd or 4th (most likely what you could get) is of lesser value than a cheap young skilled and liked backup QB. IMO at least.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL a 3rd or 4th (most likely what you could get) is of lesser value than a cheap young skilled and liked backup QB. IMO at least.
Yeah I wouldn't just throw Love away. Backup QBs, much less backup QBs that at least know the system, are valuable. I don't think GB knows what it has in Love, and maybe never finds out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't just throw Love away. Backup QBs, much less backup QBs that at least know the system, are valuable. I don't think GB knows what it has in Love, and maybe never finds out.

I feel this is precisely where we are heading....even if he goes elsewhere and never achieves a role as a starter, we will never know what MLF could have done with him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel this is precisely where we are heading....even if he goes elsewhere and never achieves a role as a starter, we will never know what MLF could have done with him.
I agree with you Ty. There hasn't been a lot invested in him yet, financially. Developmentally he's been around the best players and coaches for coming on 3 years. So for those who say trade him for a mid-round pick to shore up the OL - well look I respect others' opinions so that's fine. Personally I think it makes more sense to keep him. And in all of this, I'm assuming Rodgers comes back. And if Rodgers doesn't come back, it's still imperative Love stays, for the reasons I mention.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Super Bowl window closes immediately if the Packers decide to trade Rodgers. In my opinion the team needs to take advantage of their HOF quarterback as long as possible and then take the dead money hit in the season after moving on from him.

There's no guarantee the Packers will be able to reload once they don't have an elite QB anymore, not even with a ton pf draft capital.

In my opinion the Packers won't get anywhere close to winning 10 games without Rodgers next season.

As a side note, with Adams set to become a free agent the team won't be able to trade him at this point.

I think there is a huge difference between needing to get a QB and a complete team rebuild. I would much rather be in the position of just needing a new QB, which is going to happen anyway, vs a complete rebuild.

The Packers would need to completely rebuild the roster if they move on from Rodgers this offseason. It doesn't make any sense to spend up to the cap if there's no chance of winning the Super Bowl in 2022.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would need to completely rebuild the roster if they move on from Rodgers this offseason. It doesn't make any sense to spend up to the cap if there's no chance of winning the Super Bowl in 2022.

Before I would disagree with this, what constitutes a complete rebuild in your opinion Captain? Very well may agree.