The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Big unit in about 45 mins will have Greg Cossell on...Greg does coach film break down for The nfl match up and nfl.films

105.7 radio out of Milwaukee

Some one that has done this for years and is prob one of the best around will give his take on rodgers Performance last year.

Lot of you will be very shocked to hear what he has to say

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I would say if the reaction by coach and GM to replace the QB you just gave 100 million dollars to because he didn’t run a new offense in every phase after being one of the most successful qbs ever in a different one for a decade, I’d say Gute is not what I think he is, and MLF is not going to make it as a head coach in this league.

I don’t believe this is the case, but i guess this is how people are going to run with this.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because that’s not what I heard
? Did you hear the clip they played before it, from his Super Bowl interview? He said there are two types of quarterbacks:
1) Those who follow the system and the reads and throw the ball, no matter who the receiver is
2) Those who don't trust certain receivers so they won't throw the ball to them.

Obviously Cossell thought Rodgers fell more in the #2 category. Then in the newer clip he said LeFleur was frustrated by Rodgers not playing within the system, and gave the example of their argument last year. Which is one reason he's so high on Love.

Now some guys here will say that's nonsense, Rodgers does follow the system.
And some will say he doesn't trust some receivers, but other QBs do the same thing, like Tom Brady, for instance. So it's no big deal, because Rodgers is such a great improviser.
And some will agree with Cossell, and some will say it's all fiction, sensationalist journalism.

I would say if the reaction by coach and GM to replace the QB you just gave 100 million dollars to because he didn’t run a new offense in every phase after being one of the most successful qbs ever in a different one for a decade, I’d say Gute is not what I think he is
If Rodgers is really such a problem, that he doesn't listen to the coaches, and won't buy into the system, it really doesn't/didn't make much sense for Gute to sign him to such a huge contract.

But it does seem clear that they want to boost the running game, and use more play action.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it does seem clear that they want to boost the running game, and use more play action.
I definitely agree with that, but then that's something we've been wanting around here for a long time and most of us have been saying would help Rodgers extend his career. we had a brief stint of it at various times during his career and got it going with Lacy a bit, but that didn't last long.

i'm sure Rodgers can be "difficult". They ALL are. QB and HC friction is the norm when you have the great ones. Marino wasn't a push over. Brady and Bill don't tip toe thru tulips. Favre and Holmgren, Holmgren wanted to choke him daily. Vermeil and Warner are outliers LOL and even they probably didn't always get along.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure Rodgers can be "difficult". They ALL are. QB and HC friction is the norm when you have the great ones. Marino wasn't a push over. Brady and Bill don't tip toe thru tulips. Favre and Holmgren, Holmgren wanted to choke him daily.
Agree, I don't find it hard to believe at all that Rodgers might be aloof, prickly, and/or passive-aggressive. Some people get upset at any suggestion that Rodgers is anything less than perfect. But I just don't give a ****. As long as he plays well, who cares?

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats-wise what we are missing from AR12's peak would be about 400 yards and 15 TDs.

Current AR cannot be expected to be reach 2011'ish peak, so what we realistically are missing would be 250-300 yards and 7-12 TDs over course of season.

Now from what I perceive to be MLF's gameplan, having a more potent running game would help take away D's focus QBs so we might say we effectively would miss 200 yards and 7 TDs. Over the course of 16 games, this is not really significant. So we've decided to go with minor upgrades to WRs. Add in optimism from Tonyan and Sternberger, I think AR12 is on course for another 4100+ yard season coming up.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats-wise what we are missing from AR12's peak would be about 400 yards and 15 TDs.

Current AR cannot be expected to be reach 2011'ish peak, so what we realistically are missing would be 250-300 yards and 7-12 TDs over course of season.

Now from what I perceive to be MLF's gameplan, having a more potent running game would help take away D's focus QBs so we might say we effectively would miss 200 yards and 7 TDs. Over the course of 16 games, this is not really significant. So we've decided to go with minor upgrades to WRs. Add in optimism from Tonyan and Sternberger, I think AR12 is on course for another 4100+ yard season coming up.

What is interesting to me are all the media saying MLF is building for a life without Rodgers, he is drafting people that fit his system and Rodgers doesn't.

Wouldn't it be semi-safe to say that if MLF and the Packers get worse and worse over the next 2-3 years (when Rodgers is still very expensive and nearly un-tradable) MLF will be on the hot seat? Not to mention, isn't MLF being built on the run, TE sets, built to PROLONG Rodgers career?

I also do not doubt there is a big ego issue on both sides, Rodgers whole career has basically been similarly to how they treated Michael Jordan...just go win the game and do whatever you have to do, to do it. Now he is expected to lay back and trust others to do it for him. And after just one season, I have a hard time buying into the MLF/Rodgers relationship is not great and MLF is sick of Rodgers.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is interesting to me are all the media saying MLF is building for a life without Rodgers, he is drafting people that fit his system and Rodgers doesn't.

Wouldn't it be semi-safe to say that if MLF and the Packers get worse and worse over the next 2-3 years (when Rodgers is still very expensive and nearly un-tradable) MLF will be on the hot seat? Not to mention, isn't MLF being built on the run, TE sets, built to PROLONG Rodgers career?

I also do not doubt there is a big ego issue on both sides, Rodgers whole career has basically been similarly to how they treated Michael Jordan...just go win the game and do whatever you have to do, to do it. Now he is expected to lay back and trust others to do it for him. And after just one season, I have a hard time buying into the MLF/Rodgers relationship is not great and MLF is sick of Rodgers.
That's another thing that I was thinking about as well. I know what I said earlier, but in the interest of fairness, I do think MLF does want to emphasize more on the running in hopes to save Rodgers from himself, because he's been carrying the load all this time. The thing is Rodgers I think understands that as he mentions he doesn't have to throw for a lot of TDs, but at the same time he's not used to the idea just yet because he's been doing it a certain way for a long time.

That's my guess.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not to mention, isn't MLF being built on the run, TE sets, built to PROLONG Rodgers career?

I think this is a key point that people are not aware of or not wanting to acknowledge. What has changed since 4/23 when it comes to the way the Packers will approach their offense and how Aaron Runs it for the next few years? Nothing that I know of. Aaron will still be the starting QB for at least 1-3 years. Drafting Love, a RB and a TE doesn't immediately make it better or worse, but I do think the RB and TE selected tips MLF's hand as to where he is heading with play calling. Who says that Rodgers won't thrive under what appears to be a more run oriented offense? I can see where it might benefit an older Rodgers to have a defense having to line up expecting and respecting a solid run game.

Seems like the media and some fans want to create the drama that MLF and Rodgers are butting heads, instead of the simple fact that the Packers are trying to mesh a future plan with a present one and that included an eventual replacement at QB, as well as a few tools for MLF to run the style of offense he wants to, as well as some solid OL prospects to potentially give him a very solid OL for years to come.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Gutes approach to the OL in this draft reminded me of his approach to WR a few years ago. 3 later picks, hoping 1-2 stick.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach took us from 6-9-1 to 13-3. Wants the run to set up the pass and pass action. Drafts for that. Yeah, who wants that crap happening. J/K.

He has my faith. Same for Gute, since he is the one listening to his coach and getting the pieces MLF needs.

Dang, I hate when the GM and Coach converse and have a plan.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach took us from 6-9-1 to 13-3. Wants the run to set up the pass and pass action. Drafts for that. Yeah, who wants that crap happening. J/K.
That's the way the Packers should be spinning it. They should be out there saying Aaron is getting older, he's had some injuries, we want to run the ball more to take the pressure off of him and keep him upright. And we want a reliable backup quarterback in case he does get hurt. GB needs better Press Relations.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's the way the Packers should be spinning it. They should be out there saying Aaron is getting older, he's had some injuries, we want to run the ball more to take the pressure off of him and keep him upright. And we want a reliable backup quarterback in case he does get hurt. GB needs better Press Relations.

Agree, unfortunately, there will be many that wish to spin it the way that fits their narrative much better, since they probably feel that they know more than the guys that are actually in charge.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say if the reaction by coach and GM to replace the QB you just gave 100 million dollars to because he didn’t run a new offense in every phase after being one of the most successful qbs ever in a different one for a decade, I’d say Gute is not what I think he is, and MLF is not going to make it as a head coach in this league.

I don’t believe this is the case, but i guess this is how people are going to run with this.
I like Cosell, but he, like most people, will develop an opinion and not see it any other way. He calls into Nashville's sports radio station, always speaking of the limitations of Derrick Henry. He said that Jack Conklin was going to struggle at tackle. Both became All pros, but he's stuck to his guns since then. And with Rodgers, he was spelling doom for him in this system before he even stepped into the field. Of course we see some of the things that he is used to doing and which don't jive with this system, but it was his first year. He's got to get used to trusting what he sees and the way it operates, and it's much more likely that he's going to be watching a ton of film and working on that rather than fighting against it next year.

Reaction score
If Rodgers and MLF were truly not on the same page I highly doubt they would have won 14 games last season.
The media tends to blow things out of proportion and embellish stories and we all know why.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers and MLF were truly not on the same page I highly doubt they would have won 14 games last season.
The media tends to blow things out of proportion and embellish stories and we all know why.
Because controversy makes headlines and headlines make money...That's the power of the media for you.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where to even start with this.
  • Rodgers did throw for 4,000+ yards. Do your homework. yada yada
you totally misunderstood my post. I pointed out that he threw for 4k yards...and he did it with adequate WR talent. they did get open a lot. it's been pointed out by too many film guys for it not to be true. the Packers knew more talent couldn't hurt so they got a veteran who'd have a better chance of being a day-one contributor than some rookie. Lazard will most likely go into camp the 3rd WR. RB1 jones was 2nd on the team in receptions btw.

D

Deleted member 6794

I pointed out that he threw for 4k yards...and he did it with adequate WR talent. they did get open a lot. it's been pointed out by too many film guys for it not to be true.

It has been pointed out on several occasions why the tape you're talking about is deceiving. Of course you have decided to ignore it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So all those people who were freaking out when Rodgers was resigned and became the highest paid player in the NFL, can begin breathing again. Like most of us predicted, his salary is slowly falling down the chart.

Today, it is being reported that Dak Prescott declined a 5-year, $175 million contract offer from the Cowboys. It would've made him the highest paid QB in history. Prescott instead is seeking “north of $45M” in the final season of his new deal, reportedly.

The other thing I can't help but notice by looking at this list, I am just fine with paying Aaron Rodgers as much as Jared Goff, less than Big Ben and $500K more Kirk Cousins and most certainly $12 M less than what Prescott wants.

Annual Salaries as of today:
  1. Russell Wilson: $35 M
  2. Ben Roethlisberger: $34 M
  3. Jared Goff: $33.5 M
  4. Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 M
  5. Kirk Cousins: $33 M
  6. Carson Wentz: $32 M
  7. Dak Prescott: $31.409 M
  8. Matt Ryan: $30 M
  9. Ryan Tannehill: $29.5 M
  10. Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 M

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why highlight Ryan Tannehill. I have liked him since I saw him in his senior year. I think maybe a bowl game. He has had very little to work with and now that he does, everyone yells fluke. We will see. A lot of times context is sorely lacking on this board when trying to evaluate talent. I'll apologize Brat if you did not do the highlighting. But my statement still stands. and Garrapolo haters...you are all on a bandwagon. He is not a soft spot on that team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why highlight Ryan Tannehill. I have liked him since I saw him in his senior year. I think maybe a bowl game. He has had very little to work with and now that he does, everyone yells fluke. We will see. A lot of times context is sorely lacking on this board when trying to evaluate talent. I'll apologize Brat if you did not do the highlighting. But my statement still stands. and Garrapolo haters...you are all on a bandwagon. He is not a soft spot on that team.

You lost me there. I didn't try to highlight anyone or BOLD any names, maybe the way it popped up?

I was simply making the point that a lot of Aaron Rodgers critics want to talk about how much he was paid. Really, when you look at this list and the whole list, in comparison to what some QB's are being paid and will be paid, I'm just fine with what #12 is being paid ( comparatively).

Edit: Now I see the green highlights, which typically mean they are linked. Just tried to edit them and they come back. That wasn't my intention (to link them), the pitfalls of grabbing a "list" of names form a site and using it to write a post.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just fine with paying Aaron Rodgers as much as Jared Goff, less than Big Ben and $500K more than Kirk Cousins and most certainly $12 M less than what Prescott wants.
Can't help but notice Tom Brady isn't on that list.

Definitely seems like Rodgers should be worth more than Roethlisberger. At least Goff is young. Cousins? Pfft.
Anyway, no one expects NFL salaries to represent a player's real value.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't help but notice Tom Brady isn't on that list.

Definitely seems like Rodgers should be worth more than Roethlisberger. At least Goff is young. Cousins? Pfft.
Anyway, no one expects NFL salaries to represent a player's real value.

Notice also that Mahomes isn't there. His rookie deal is allowing KC to buy other players just as Seattle did with Wilson with similar results.

Is there a rule in the NFL about how much of a pay cut a guy take (in the very unlikely event of a major home town discount to help fill holes in a roster)?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice also that Mahomes isn't there. His rookie deal is allowing KC to buy other players just as Seattle did with Wilson with similar results.

Is there a rule in the NFL about how much of a pay cut a guy take (in the very unlikely event of a major home town discount to help fill holes in a roster)?

I believe the players union tries their best to discourage such activities.