Thank You Veterans

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all who served, on this Veterans Day, a sincere thank you for the freedom we all enjoy - Let us never take them for granted.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And to ours too on Armistice day. They shall not grow old.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've had a refresher on just what a special bunch these folks are over the last week. Thank you guys and gals... and RIP to my favorite Vet who passed away all too recently. The men who showed up and the Marine Honor Guard made up of current Jarheads are truly astounding men.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little bit off-topic, but I'm still looking for a reply to 'thank you for your service' with which I'm really comfortable. Any suggestions?

I

A little bit off-topic, but I'm still looking for a reply to 'thank you for your service' with which I'm really comfortable. Any suggestions?

why uncomfortable ? you gave your service to your country, not something everybody does. accept with grace. I think it is something people should thank you for. IMHO

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I just reply, I appreciate your gratefulness but I still consider it an honor and a privilege to have had the opportunity to serve my nation.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
"...and what the *-*k did you do while I risked my butt to protect yours?"
"just did my part to make this a better and safer world"
"I appreciate that, now don't screw it up." << especially for someone younger.
"Better than moving to Canada."

btw, thank you for your service. My dad was a Korean War era veteran. Rarely talked about his service when I was younger. He never left Missouri as far as we know. War ended soon after he was drafted.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have the same issue....Someone says "Thank you for your service"...What do I say? "You're welcome" doesn't sound quite right....

I usually go with "Thank you for saying so".

Still not quite sure if that's right, but so far that's all I got.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why uncomfortable ? you gave your service to your country, not something everybody does. accept with grace. I think it is something people should thank you for. IMHO

I knew what I meant, but it apparently didn't come out the right way. I'm not uncomfortable with someone saying it, but me saying nothing isn't appropriate, nor is the normal response to 'thank you', which is 'you're welcome', and nobody is looking for a long explanation in return. I haven't read anything of the following, but I did want to clarify this aspect.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"...and what the *-*k did you do while I risked my butt to protect yours?"
"just did my part to make this a better and safer world"
"I appreciate that, now don't screw it up." << especially for someone younger.
"Better than moving to Canada."

btw, thank you for your service. My dad was a Korean War era veteran. Rarely talked about his service when I was younger. He never left Missouri as far as we know. War ended soon after he was drafted.

One of my hardest jobs, whether with the local honor guard or the vets-to-vets programs in the nursing homes and hospice facilities is convincing folks that the fact that they were in during a time without major conflict or served in locations or jobs that didn't directly involve combat doesn't at all diminish their service. Almost all of us did what we did, where we did, when we did because we had orders. If those orders had been to be somewhere that put us in more danger, we would have gone. Lots of vets don't want military funeral honors or recognition while they're alive because they think they don't deserve it, and anyone who served, does.

I

I knew what I meant, but it apparently didn't come out the right way. I'm not uncomfortable with someone saying it, but me saying nothing isn't appropriate, nor is the normal response to 'thank you', which is 'you're welcome', and nobody is looking for a long explanation in return. I haven't read anything of the following, but I did want to clarify this aspect.

Sorry, I didn't mean it argumentatively, I meant you served your country well I assume and you and others deserve respect and thanks. Just accept it ;)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I have the same issue....Someone says "Thank you for your service"...What do I say? "You're welcome" doesn't sound quite right....

I usually go with "Thank you for saying so".

Still not quite sure if that's right, but so far that's all I got.

"My privilege, ma'am/sir" My brother was 75 and said that to everyone, regardless of age. Then he'd turn to me and say, "Let's go a**wipe." :) I'd reply, "Comin' right up, dic*face". Loved that guy. :(

I

"My privilege, ma'am/sir" My brother was 75 and said that to everyone, regardless of age. Then he'd turn to me and say, "Let's go a**wipe." :) I'd reply, "Comin' right up, dic*face". Loved that guy. :(

I loved the story but the only heart I could give was the friendly emoji. Keep your chin up mate.

Members online

Latest posts