Ted has a reason to sign free agents today

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
U

Remember when Brad Jones was our ILB, Raji was a lot of the reason he looked good him and Hawk, also Cullen Jenkins alongside Raji.

Cullen Jenkins was gone after 2010, and Raji hasn't made anyone look good since that year. Jones wasn't a ILB for us at that point.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think TT needs to do anything in FA, and agree giving up a 5th round pick, potentially, wouldn't be enough if he liked someone enough and the price was right. Seems kind of amazing in hindsight that Peppers made it past the comp pick date.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think TT needs to do anything in FA, and agree giving up a 5th round pick, potentially, wouldn't be enough if he liked someone enough and the price was right. Seems kind of amazing in hindsight that Peppers made it past the comp pick date.

He didn't. He didn't have to though. The Bears cut him so those FA go into a different category.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Bears cut Peppers during last offseason. Only players who become free agents because their contracts have expired factor into compensatory picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted it on accident elsewhere but my list of FAs I'd entertain and rationale is as follows:

-Red Bryant (DT/NT)

Red has the size and the youth to potentially be more than a one year fixer. (deleted line here as I was flat out wrong) I get it with Raji and Guion both back this isn't a need signing...however I truly feel TT and company should see what Red is seeking for compensation and act accordingly...the dude could be a STEAL for the right price no matter the level of need we have.

-Brandon Spikes (ILB)

Spikes is the most logical signing left out there for GB. He offers years of experience at ILB, and can at minimum help groom Ryan into being an awesome 2 down backer for a much cheaper price than Hawk was.....Ryan will have to learn how to cover from somewhere else though, but he has that potential. Spikes would give us an amazing run defense front, while slowing down the expectations of what Ryan HAS TO DO right this second. Also whose to say Sam Barrington keeps on being the thumper we need him on 1st and 2nd down....Spikes would have role no matter what Sam does but especially should we lose Sam a guy like Spikes makes that loss moot for atleast one year.

-Chris Johnson (RB)

*Wildcard* I freely admit the need is little to non-existent. I freely admit it could be regrettable. I freely admit CJ isn't the player he once was nor will be...however. He's only going into his 8th season (I may be mistaken). Take away last year and he's had 1,000 seasons 6 years and in a secondary/back up role when asked to do little, he could provide a LOT still. My hunch is he wants paid like the CJ of old...if that is the case TT and company shouldn't even give thought...however if he's willing to come and contend with a true title team at a price favorable to the team and maybe include some incentives in the contract should injuries happen I say he'd be worth it. *hunch is he stays FA and takes the first contract offered from a team that experience serious RB injuries, as there always is one (I just hope not us).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I posted it on accident elsewhere but my list of FAs I'd entertain and rationale is as follows:

-Red Bryant (DT/NT)

Red has the size and the youth to potentially be more than a one year fixer. He's got playing experience yet has never had the motivation of a title possibility when suiting up in the NFL and that hunger can change players performance....just ask Guion about that? I get it with Raji and Guion both back this isn't a need signing...however I truly feel TT and company should see what Red is seeking for compensation and act accordingly...the dude could be a STEAL for the right price no matter the level of need we have.

Bryant is 31 years old and won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks in 2013.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bryant is 31 years old and won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks in 2013.

Crap...why in the world did I think he had been with the Jags all these years. I'll hold up my idiot card, unlike the Patriots I'll admit my faults :D haha!

H

HardRightEdge

Crap...why in the world did I think he had been with the Jags all these years. I'll hold up my idiot card, unlike the Patriots I'll admit my faults :D haha!
The Captain beat me to it. The fact the Jags signed him to a 4 year deal to come play for a former D-coordinator and was then released after 1 year suggests his tank is not as full as it once was. Like Spikes, he'd likely be a decent 2-down run stopper, but it's hard to see him adding much more than what Guion could provide at base DE.

We await news of the term of Guion's suspension. Given the NFL's track record in such matters, it's hard to believe they would let him slide.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Captain beat me to it. The fact the Jags signed him to a 4 year deal to come play for a former D-coordinator and was then released after 1 year suggests his tank is not as full as it once was. Like Spikes, he'd likely be a decent 2-down run stopper, but it's hard to see him adding much more than what Guion could provide at base DE.

We await news of the term of Guion's suspension. Given the NFL's track record in such matters, it's hard to believe they would let him slide.

Yeah I'm thinking at least 2 games....but makes me think did he gain a competitive edge in the games like someone else in the news that only rec'd 4? haha!

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah I'm thinking at least 2 games....but makes me think did he gain a competitive edge in the games like someone else in the news that only rec'd 4? haha!
Somewhere in the 2 - 4 game range would be my guess, though the precise origins of the $190,000 in cash would have an affect.

The timing could get interesting. Le'Veon Bell was busted in July 2014 for DUI and pot possession and his 3 game suspension didn't come down until after the season.

Guion's case was pleaded down from felony to a first-time offender possession rap with a $5,000 fine and no probation, which in and of itself would warrant some kind of minor suspension. At the same time, his $250,000 in seized cash and property was not returned and left for the civil courts to decide.

While the DA might or might not care if Guion was dealing small quantities so long as the additional $250,000 supplemental "fine" is extracted, the NFL might.

The most recent news on the civil forfeiture case that I'm finding is 3 months old. Presumably, that's where he would have provided proof, that his attorney claimed to have, that the cash derived from game checks.

Has anybody seen any update on the matter?

D

Deleted member 6794

Brandon Spikes has just signed with the Patriots. He returns to the team after calling his time there from 2010-13 as four years as a slave.

H

HardRightEdge

Brandon Spikes has just signed with the Patriots. He returns to the team after calling his time there from 2010-13 as four years as a slave.
Looks like a one year deal. Maybe he changed his mind..."one year a sharecropper" perhaps.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins was gone after 2010, and Raji hasn't made anyone look good since that year. Jones wasn't a ILB for us at that point.
I know he was after 2010 that's when Jones was resigned for 4yrs almost $12 million, and yes Raji hasn't played recently but when he filled in behind Raji is what got him paid, he was never that great a player.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know he was after 2010 that's when Jones was resigned for 4yrs almost $12 million, and yes Raji hasn't played recently but when he filled in behind Raji is what got him paid, he was never that great a player.

The Packers re-signed Jones after the 2013 season to a three-year, $11.25 million contract. The Packers moved him inside for the 2012 season and Jones played mostly average that season behind a decent DL at best.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers re-signed Jones after the 2013 season to a three-year, $11.25 million contract. The Packers moved him inside for the 2012 season and Jones played mostly average that season behind a decent DL at best.

Regardless of the approximate dollar amount, or exact year the point is he is gone, and we don't have to suffer through his horrible playing, his time in GB done as a Packer fan I'm Happy!

D

Deleted member 6794

Regardless of the approximate dollar amount, or exact year the point is he is gone, and we don't have to suffer through his horrible playing, his time in GB done as a Packer fan I'm Happy!

I was in favour of releasing him as well after the 2014 season. Unfortunately I don't think the ILB position has been addressed adequately this offseason though.

Members online

Latest posts