Taylor Mays-USC (Thread)

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today at the combine according to the NFL Network he ran a 4.24 & 4.34 forty (unofficially). He did 24 reps of 225 and had a 41' inch vert.

I know he is a combine freak, but that 40 time is impressive at 6'2/231.

I want to see how he "flips his hips" during position drills, but he has been my personal favorite since 09'.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pete Carroll has two picks ahead of us, if doesnt take him, there is something wrong with him and we should steer clear.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earl Thomas' times were not as great, but I think he might be more of a play maker.

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle is going to go QB and OL. They need to upgrade both those positions with Hassleback getting older (and hurt) and Walter Jones retiring they are bigger "needs" then S. I can see them drafting Clausen (he has ties to Carroll) and Brown (USC) or Baluga in round 1.

Officially Mays ran a 4.43, Deion Sanders says that is wrong and Mays is a sub-4.3 guy. Mays is a 17-32 type player.

Mays is looking good in position drills. He is showing lose hips, staying low and smooth out his breaks.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adapting to what Aaron Nagler said about Joe Haden, Taylor Mays running a fast 40 only means that he knows how to run a fast 40. He's still stiff in his tape...

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could care less about him running in a straight line to be honest. You NEVER do that in the nfl. His problem is his propensity to take bad angles, try and lay the hit and FAIL (watch ND film where a NFL caliber WR In Golden tate compeltely punks him), and he is stiff in his hips. From what I saw today that pretty much all stays true. His hips were not as fluid Thomas or Berry.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could care less about him running in a straight line to be honest. You NEVER do that in the nfl. His problem is his propensity to take bad angles, try and lay the hit and FAIL (watch ND film where a NFL caliber WR In Golden tate compeltely punks him), and he is stiff in his hips. From what I saw today that pretty much all stays true. His hips were not as fluid Thomas or Berry.
That's why IMHO the shuttle and the cone drills are much more important. But still, they shouldn't take over what you see on tape.
why is it players arent put in full pads and do these things
Yeah, it's dumb. Putting pads on would really smooth the translation from the clock to the game.

And, really, the way drills are done, it's much more about who can do the drill better, than who is faster or stronger.

I only really pay attention to some drills. Bench press for CBs is important, if you run a bump and run coverage. 3 cone drills to OLB and to DBs is important, it shows fluidity. The 20-yard shuttle drill is also good, shows acceleration, but it's less important, as it's not with pads, and is in a straight line. The jumping drills can show lower-body strenght.

All in all, it's only a way to check back/reinforce what you see on tape...

Unless you're the Oakland Raiders. Then the 40-yard dash can turn you into the best player on earth...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's no surprise that Mays smoked the combine. He's been regarded for his athleticism before. If I remember correctly that's the exact same reason that everyone was projecting him to go to the Raiders.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Angles are the kind of thing that can be coached.....what is undeniable is his athletic ability and work ethic. I would be happy if the Packers were able to get Mays.....probably won't happen though.

God I can't wait for the draft!!!

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with him, Capers would be licking his chops and the NFC tight ends would run home and hide underneath their beds!

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
IF Taylor Mays Is available at 23 I would be happy if the packers took him. I think it's a position of need and it sends the right message, The Lions and Bears have hired High-Priced talent in peppers and Vanden-bosch to go after Rodgers, and other NFC north QB's. Well Mays is the perfect guy to go after Calvin Johnson, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Whoever the bears:chisux: get if they ever get a WR. I don't see any Can't-Miss guys at DE or LB or HB and the upside on Mays is obviously there. A Big hitter to sit behind woody would shutdown that side of the field again like it used to be. Unless one of the big OT's falls to us Mays is a Real Solid pick for TT who usually ends up reaching.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread from another packers forum. There's a guy whose claiming that his current coach who has insider information from the packers is convinced that Mays will for certain be our 23rd pick. NFL Forum :: - Taylor Mays Chatter

Idk what to make of this. I tend not to believe in such rumors but I want to get your opinions.

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have ties to USC and it was known that last year Thompson would have taken him @ #9 if he came out then. He (Thompson) thinks Mays is a special player and a player that he has all kinds of info on (per USC people).

I would be for Mays, but than again, I am biased.

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mays plays to kill. Does anyone remember Steve Atwater? He hits HARDER than him! I have been at the majority of his games (living in Cali). The sounds of his hits are a different sound.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I FIRMLY BELIEVE that if he is drafted by the Packers, Capers, Perry and Vitt will make him a STAR and his will to prove people wrong (and to be great) will make him an even better Pro than college player.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mays plays to kill. Does anyone remember Steve Atwater? He hits HARDER than him! I have been at the majority of his games (living in Cali). The sounds of his hits are a different sound.

I FIRMLY BELIEVE that if he is drafted by the Packers, Capers, Perry and Vitt will make him a STAR and his will to prove people wrong (and to be great) will make him an even better Pro than college player.
Yeah, I know about his big hits.

It's when he whiffs on those, and costs his team that I'm worried about.

The good thing about him is his work ethic, dedication and physical skills.

But he's the farthest from a cerebral player you'll ever find...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know about his big hits.

It's when he whiffs on those, and costs his team that I'm worried about.

The good thing about him is his work ethic, dedication and physical skills.

If he is fast.....has a great work ethic......is dedicated to football/the team, has the physical skills, makes devastating hits.....well.......if he is smart and coachable........hmmmm.........sounds like a SF 49er that use to play awhile back that receivers feared and made their arms look like those of a T-Rex. Doesn't sound like a bad thing at all.

If soemone wants to tell me he has been burned on many occasions.........well.......go back and look at Al Harris on Plaxico Burress in the Packer/Giants playoff game a few years back. Hell.......Jarrett Bush could have covered Burress better. (and that is jacked up to say) First of all....this guy is a safety not a corner.....but Mays, with some coaching should with out a doubt...be able to cover a running back or a tight end, support the run........or even blitz. Adrian Peterson will not Punk this guy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is fast.....has a great work ethic......is dedicated to football/the team, has the physical skills, makes devastating hits.....well.......if he is smart and coachable........hmmmm.........sounds like a SF 49er that use to play awhile back that receivers feared and made their arms look like those of a T-Rex. Doesn't sound like a bad thing at all.

If soemone wants to tell me he has been burned on many occasions.........well.......go back and look at Al Harris on Plaxico Burress in the Packer/Giants playoff game a few years back. Hell.......Jarrett Bush could have covered Burress better. (and that is jacked up to say) First of all....this guy is a safety not a corner.....but Mays, with some coaching should with out a doubt...be able to cover a running back or a tight end, support the run........or even blitz. Adrian Peterson will not Punk this guy.
I understand what you're saying but we were #1 in the league against the run last year.

We don't need another run supporter, we need someone than can cover and make our pass defense better.

And just for the sake of argument, Ahmad Carroll had all the physical tools in a corner. Tony Mandarich was one of the most physically gifted LTs there was...

He just doesn't have ball skills. You know when the ball is up in the air and Bush just doesnt know where it is, and it lands on the receiver, and Bush looks stupid??? Yeah, that's ball skills.

Now, he may just've had an awful, terrible, abysmal college season as a pass defender (and taking angles in run support, though he's much better at that).

But I don't know if his great junior season was because he had CM3, Cushing, Maualuga, Griffen, etc... making it easier.

All I know is that his senior year's showing wasn't of a promising S in the NFL...

In his entire college career, he only had 1 Fumble Forced and 5 ints. http://espndb.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=183232

He just doesn't make plays. He just hits hard, and a lot of times misses. A LOT OF TIMES.

Members online

Latest posts