Tarkenton on Favre -- he slams him

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to believe (because I don't know the "behind the scenes") that both sides were wrong. I sure understand Favre, he gave his all during some difficult times in GB, when there was no weapons for him to throw. In his mind, the staff should have more consideration with him. Not begged, but certainly not just agreed with his retirement. I know they called him, but probably not the same way in past years.
But he retired. No one can force someone to just retire. He did it in his own free will. And after being in that uncertainty for several years, they needed to move on.
-
Saying Brett Favre was a prima donna ALL ALONG is paranoid. He felt betrayed. Saying TT pushed him out of town is paranoid. He retired by himself. After threatening to retire for several years. IMO.
-
BTW, nelanator nailed it. That's what I was trying to say all along.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't care if Brett wants to play with another team. I cheered for him last year with the Jets. I don't care if he wants to play against GB. He hates TT and wants his revenge. BUT I CARE IF HE PLAYS FOR THE QUEENS. That's unforgivable!
If Favre wants to play again, that's fine! JUST DON'T DO IT FOR OUR RIVALS!
So what you are saying is that Brett needs to be loyal to the Packers and Packer fans by not playing for the Vikings but the Packers don't need to be loyal to Brett.

Problem is in football there is no loyalty in the league. It only exists with the fans.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how was Ted Thompson not loyal to Brett Favre?
Because Favre retired and he took him at his word?
Because the team had to have a QB and with Favre "retired" Rodgers was named the starter? That is why Rodgers was drafted in the first place.

Favre created this whole mess and his bluff was called.
It was he who screwed this up and he was too dumb and too wrapped up in his giant ego to fix it.
He wanted to drag the whole "I quit-I don't quit" thing out for another summer and have everyone in Green Bay beg him to play again.
The team only wanted an answer if he was going to come back or not instead of playing his stupid mind game for the 4th year in a row.
When Favre gave his snorting like a pig press conference and said that he had given all he could give and it was over then Packers moved forward and they were absolutely right to do so.
That is when Favre got his ******* in a bunch and he has been looking for some weird form of payback ever since.

I've actually been saying that exact same thing all along, but I was going from Favre's point of view for most of that post. In his view, he was stabbed in the back because he felt that he was above the team and should have been able to play there - and start there - for as long as he pleased. He'll never say that in those words, but that is how I think that he felt. I disagree and thought that Thompson was in the right to pressure Favre to make a decision and end the wavering one way or the other.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that Brett needs to be loyal to the Packers and Packer fans by not playing for the Vikings but the Packers don't need to be loyal to Brett.

Problem is in football there is no loyalty in the league. It only exists with the fans.
I'll repeat. That SoB #4 is a traitor TO THE FANS. The fans didn't do nothing to him. The MANAGEMENT did. So if he wants to play agains GB, that's fine. The fans were allways loyal to him. A LOT took part with him rather than with TT. And that ungrateful SoB repay us by wanting to sign with one of the most hated teams.
He needs to be loyal to Packer Fans and the Packers as a team and entity, and not to the current management. And after todays interview, it's clear to me that he won't.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'll repeat. That SoB #4 is a traitor TO THE FANS. The fans didn't do nothing to him. The MANAGEMENT did. So if he wants to play agains GB, that's fine. The fans were allways loyal to him. A LOT took part with him rather than with TT. And that ungrateful SoB repay us by wanting to sign with one of the most hated teams.
He needs to be loyal to Packer Fans and the Packers as a team and entity, and not to the current management. And after todays interview, it's clear to me that he won't.
So in other words, if he wants to play football he needs to go to a team that needs a QB but is a years away from possibly winning anything. (not that he will in MN) Because of the fans. Which half of the fans are you talking about, the half that supported him last year or the half that tossed him under the bus when he said he wanted to come back?

Only fans have loyalty. To the players, management and owners it's a business.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to that packers-queens game. I'm even hoping that Kevin Greene enters the field and sacks brett so strongly that former #4 spit blood.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So in other words, if he wants to play football he needs to go to a team that needs a QB but is a years away from possibly winning anything. (not that he will in MN) Because of the fans. Which half of the fans are you talking about, the half that supported him last year or the half that tossed him under the bus when he said he wanted to come back?
Not true. A lot of people, including myself, thought he was wrong by wanting his job back after giving it up, but noone wanted him out in the first place. And after he went to the jets, most fans cheered for him.
Agreed to some extent. When you're the face of the franchise for 16 years, you become more than just a player. His name and legacy was attached to the Packers. And when you represent it and act like you love it, you're an extension of the fans on the field. We all thought that he loved the Packers and loved being a Packer. And a true packer never would think of wearing a queens' jersey.
-
So, he's either a traitor, that one day loved the Packers, or he's a liar, that said one day he loved the Packers. Eithe way, his image and legacy are tarnished.

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So in other words, if he wants to play football he needs to go to a team that needs a QB but is a years away from possibly winning anything.

Or a team that will not play the packers and if they meet in the playoffs Farve will have to sit the game out or give the game away to the packers.

EXACTLY! It's sad but true.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or a team that will not play the packers and if they meet in the playoffs Farve will have to sit the game out or give the game away to the packers.
How in the world are you getting this from what I've said??? Or are you just picking what you want and ignoring all the rest that I've said? That if he goes to the Panthers, a team that don't have a QB (don't give me jake 5int delhomme) and is a playoff team it's fine. That if he goes to the Redskins is fine.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I don't like the guy either...but remember: He may be Jake 5int Delhomme but Favre has the record of most int on a playoff game...remember, Brett 6int Favre.
Brat has won a SB. Jake has won nothing. I don't even remember him winning a playoff game.
But you know what's the worst part of it all? Well, maybe not the worst, but having to hear bears and queens fans giving opinions about it, when they never even had a qb worth mentioning...

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brat has won a SB. Jake has won nothing. I don't even remember him winning a playoff game

He must have won a few as he played in Super Bowl 38 in 2004, wait packerforum is on the internet and there are other sites on it as well let me check, yep he has.

But you know what's the worst part of it all? Well, maybe not the worst, but having to hear bears and queens fans giving opinions about it, when they never even had a qb worth mentioning...

Boohoo!
I guess you would like it better if everyone agreed with you and you were right.

Members online

Latest posts