Tarkenton on Favre -- he slams him

newman79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a little blurb on the JS Online Packer Daily blog which had a link to Tarkenton's comments on the current Favre saga. I knew there was always a reason why I liked Tarkenton. lol Tarkenton was apparently interviewed on an Atlanta radio station and asked about it:

Sports Radio Interviews Blog Archive That’s Incredible! A Former Player That Isn’t A Fan of Brett Favre’s

Fran was asked about the whole Brett Favre retirement, un-retirement:

“I think it’s despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good. Here’s an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn’t about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre’s of the world so much, they think it’s about them. He goes to New York and bombs. He’s 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year (playing for) the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers. I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.”

On what more he feels the Packers could have done as an organization during the break-up with Favre:

“They did everything, but you get into a position, and I understand he’s been glorified so much. He’s been a great player, there’s no question about it, but it’s all about him. It is supposed to be all about your team. If you’re going to be the quarterback of your team, you need to be there in the off season workouts in March and April. Peyton Manning’s there. Tom Brady’s there.”

Fran’s take on what he sees out of Favre’s quarterback abilities or lack there of:

“I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that I’ve ever seen. Look at his final game in a Packers uniform. He blew that game against the Giants. He’s playing against Eli Manning, I love Eli Manning, but he’s still not a great quarterback. He’s not Peyton yet, or Tom Brady. He’s just a guy. And they’re (Packers) are playing at home, and they’re in a tight situation, they went to overtime and he (Favre) throws the interception that allows them (the Giants) to come back and win the game. He has done that and driven his coaches crazy all of his career.”

Listen to Fran Tarkenton on 790 the Zone in Atlanta with Mayhem in the AM

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure there are plenty of people out there who are not Favre fans. Heck he grabbed most of the attention and I am sure some people got a little envious about that...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is dead right on every thing he says, BUT... The way he says it, it sounds like he's *****ing because Favre is better than him and nobody remembers him...

croxeye

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton is one of the biggest chockers in NFL history. I take anything he says with a (mountainas) grain of salt.

Who knows, maybe Tarkenton just hates on favre because he is more like him than he thinks ;)

favrefan4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton isn't anything but a b*tch. I don't care what Favre does. If he wants to go play for the VikeQueens, hell then let him, i'll just have to route against him. Who gives a crap what Tarkenton thinks.

ohiopacker2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tarkenton tees off on Favre on NFL.com

I didn't know how to send the arcticle over to here , but Tark rips Favre in the blog.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Tarkenton couldn't be more right, and I love someone having the guts to say that stuff in public, because i'm sick of ESPN fawning over him 24/7. Good on ya, Tark.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the Vikings wait to see if quarterback Brett Favre will end his retirement and play for them this coming season, the greatest quarterback in franchise history lashed out at Favre’s handling of the situation.

Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, appearing on 790 The Zone in Atlanta, said “it’s all about” Favre when discussing the subject and also had some interesting comments about NFL owners in general. Tarkenton, a resident of the Atlanta area, didn’t need any encouragement to go after Favre and was especially critical of how the future Hall of Fame QB has treated the Packers after playing 16 seasons in Green Bay.

“I think it’s despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good,” said Tarkenton, who played for the Vikings from 1961-66 and again from 1972-78. ”Here’s an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn’t about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre’s of the world so much, they think it’s about them. He goes to New York and bombs. He’s 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year [playing for] the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers? I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.”

Tarkenton might have been a little strong in his assessment of Favre’s play with the New York Jets last season. The Jets, who acquired Favre’s rights from the Packers during training camp, were 8-3 at one point but finished by losing four of their last five games and missed the playoffs. Favre retired for a second time after the season in part because of a partially torn biceps in his throwing arm that continues to bother him.

It’s interesting that Tarkenton feels so strongly about how Favre dealt with the Packers because when the Vikings traded Tarkenton to the New York Giants after the 1966 season he wasn’t on exactly good terms with the franchise. Clearly he sees this as a completely different situation.

“He told the Packers [after 2008 that], ‘I’m retiring,’” Tarkenton said. “They’ve got to move on. They’ve got to go through their offseason plan, their workouts, they go with the other quarterback [Aaron Rodgers], who is a good player, and then [Favre] comes back and says, ‘I think I want to play.’ … You build your team in the offseason. Everybody knows that. It’s about team. It’s not about Brett Favre. So he goes and runs up to the Jets, doesn’t even dress in the locker room with the players. Has a separate facility. Playing quarterback is about the relationships you have with your coaches, with your players, with your trainers, with your managers. How can you do that if you show up on gameday and you haven’t put the time in. And now he’s trying to do it again in Minnesota. And if Minnesota bites, God bless them.”

Asked what more the Packers could have done last year, Tarkenton said: “They did everything, but you get into a position, and I understand he’s been glorified so much. He’s been a great player, there’s no question about it, but it’s all about him. It is supposed to be all about your team. If you’re going to be the quarterback of your team, you need to be there in the offseason workouts in March and April. Peyton Manning’s there. Tom Brady’s there.”

Tarkenton was known for his scrambling when he played the game and Favre always has been considered a gunslinger.

“I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that I’ve ever seen,” Tarkenton said. “Look at his final game in a Packers uniform [the NFC title game in the 2007 season]. He blew that game against the Giants. He’s playing against Eli Manning, I love Eli Manning, but he’s still not a great quarterback. He’s not Peyton yet, or Tom Brady. He’s just a guy. And [the Packers] are playing at home, and they’re in a tight situation, they went to overtime and [Favre] throws the interception that allows [the Giants] to come back and win the game.

” … He has done that and driven his coaches crazy all of his career. But it’s team, is it not? I know [one of the hosts] is talking about, ‘I’d give him a shot,’ I think it would be terrible. [The Vikings are] trying to put together a team all spring. They’ve been there, they’ve been bonding, they’ve getting together. He hasn’t met the team, he hasn’t been there bonding, he hasn’t been part of that organization.”

Tarkenton went on to say that the role of the quarterback, “is to make your teammates better,” and “if you make your teammates better you’re [going] to have a chance to win.”

“Your whole focus is on making your teammates better,” he said. “When you step in that huddle they’ve got to want to play. … You work with each one of them in the week. I coached the running backs, the linemen, the wide receivers, I took them to dinner, I bonded with them. I had no other life but them. That was my life. In the offseason, training camp, that was my life. I bonded with them. Ahmad Rashad today, he’s one of my best friends. That makes it happen for you.

“What Brett Favre had going for him and what Tom Brady has going for him and what Peyton Manning has going for him, is that they came into an organization that was stable. Great general managers, great ownership, great coaching. You need that to be a quarterback. Brett Favre should be grateful to Green Bay. Stable, all-time great organization and he just treated them horribly last year and now he wants to get revenge. Isn’t that fun? What is this about?”

One of the hosts pointed out that Tarkenton knows Zygi Wilf and wondered why he didn’t give the Vikings owner a call to discuss the subject. ”No,” Tarkenton said. “The people that own these teams, they don’t ask anybody’s opinion except some of the junkies that are inside the league that are going to try to manipulate them anyway. They don’t go and ask somebody else that maybe has a little knowledge of it because that would be deprecating to them because they are guys that either they made millions or their daddy’s made millions and they own these teams now and, ‘I’ve got to be smarter than everybody else in the world. I bring all my kids and all my friends into the locker room.’ My owners never went in the locker room.”

Tarkenton never directly named Wilf or any other member of the Vikings ownership group when he made the above comment but the Vikings do have members of ownership in the locker room after games. Tarkenton did meet Wilf in October 2005 when the Vikings played in Atlanta.

Asked what would have happened if the Vikings ownership group had tried to bring friends and family into the locker room when Bud Grant was the coach, Tarkenton said: “He wouldn’t have them in the locker room. He kicked out Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell. Our owners didn’t come in the locker room and they shouldn’t come in the locker room. You’re going to war.”

Both Favre and current NFL owners are gone after here. I think that he is dead on about Favre, but as far as the owner thing goes he has to realize that it isn't the 1970's anymore. He sounds like Grandpa Fran going on a "back in my day" tirade.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Franny" is right. Favre attitude toward Green Bay and it's fans is despicable. He was a viqueen, but I have to agree with him.

Also, he is seeking for some attention because of his book. But the guy is right.

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow

Actually Franny is really a closet packers fan!!!!!......I bet Teddy and him are big buddies after his comments. Well why would Teddy care, he wanted Brett gone and was smart enough to get him out so who cares now!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is calling out Favre for what he really is.
A virus.

He caused nothing but problems in Green Bay for the last two years that he was there.
He basically ran himself out of town while trying to play the role of the victim all because he wanted more feeling in the *** kissing and begging that he was receiving.
Packer fans begged him to stay and he wanted you to beg loader.
The team kissed his *** and he wanted it wetter.
Then you have dumb *** fans yelling obscenities at Aaron Rodgers like it was his fault.

He goes to New York where they dump their QB to make room for him and he alienates himself from the team right away. He gags down the stretch as they blow a playoff berth and then walks away from that mess leaving them with no one to play the position.
Now Sanchez will be thrown into the fire ready or not while a year or two under Pennington would have helped a great deal. Pennington did very well in Miami.

Now he is stirring up crap in Minnesota and he is not even on their roster.
Imagine the crap the Vikings QBs (as bad as they are) have to deal with knowing that Favre is turning everything into a circus while they twist in the wind.
Favre only wants to play for the Vikings so he can play a couple of games against the Packers. He believes that he has some kind of weird score to settle with them.

What a *****.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just about the NY part: It was the Jets' fault. They wanted him.
And about Pennington, again, 2007 he was a backup of Clemens. They drove him off. IMO he's a great game manager. They would be a though team right now if they had him. But it was all Mangini's fault, not Brett. You can't put the blame on him in this one...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just about the NY part: It was the Jets' fault. They wanted him.
And about Pennington, again, 2007 he was a backup of Clemens. They drove him off. IMO he's a great game manager. They would be a though team right now if they had him. But it was all Mangini's fault, not Brett. You can't put the blame on him in this one...

So who's fault was it that Favre decides to "retire" again after one year in New York, ask for his release and now wants to play in the NFL again?

Did Mangini hold a gun to Favre's head and make him say that he wanted to be traded from the Packers to the Jets?
Did Mangini make Favre claim that he was done for good only to start his drama queen act again?

The man has issues.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they didn't know he was 39? That he could very well retire? Didn't they accept his retirement? Cause I don't see any jets fan complaining that he did, or complaining that they released him...
I know you hate him, every bear fan do. IF and WHEN he signs with the queens, than I'll probably change my mind. But he hasn't. He still hasn't betrayed the fans...

gbpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a crap town in Illinois, I was in Rice Lake WI
I don't feel betrayed by him, this is a job to him.

If you worked with a guy at Walmart and he leaves and goes to Kmart, did he betray anyone? No he most likely did it for another reason, benefits, pay, better working environment whatever. If it is for spite then it is not to spite us the fans, but the Packer organization.

If we did keep him for another few seasons and he was performing horribly, I bet people would be calling for Rogers and booing him off the field. Wouldn't we his loyal fans then have betrayed him?

It won't change my opinion of him of he goes to the vikings.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel betrayed by him, this is a job to him.

If you worked with a guy at Walmart and he leaves and goes to Kmart, did he betray anyone? No he most likely did it for another reason, benefits, pay, better working environment whatever. If it is for spite then it is not to spite us the fans, but the Packer organization.

If we did keep him for another few seasons and he was performing horribly, I bet people would be calling for Rogers and booing him off the field. Wouldn't we his loyal fans then have betrayed him?

It won't change my opinion of him of he goes to the vikings.

Depends on how do you see it.

"be·tray (b
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
-tr
)tr.v. be·trayed, be·tray·ing, be·trays 1. a. To give aid or information to an enemy of; commit treason against: betray one's country.
b. To deliver into the hands of an enemy in violation of a trust or allegiance: betrayed Christ to the Romans.

2. To be false or disloyal to: betrayed their cause; betray one's better nature.
3. To divulge in a breach of confidence: betray a secret.
4. To make known unintentionally: Her hollow laugh betrayed her contempt for the idea.
5. To reveal against one's desire or will.
6. To lead astray; deceive."

If the guy goes to Kmart and he passes information to them, that's an act of betrayal.

In this case, brett (NO CAPS! HE DOESN'T DESERVE IT ANYMORE) is 1- aidding the enemy, 2- betraying PackerNation, 3- delivering pases into the hands of WR enemies, 4- being false to every Packer fan that simple adored him for SIXTEEN years, 5- being there he will divulge in a breach of confidence of our entire playbook, 6- making intentionally knows that he's doing that just to get even with a GM and 7- deceived everyone with his crocodile tears when he announced his retirement.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they didn't know he was 39? That he could very well retire? Didn't they accept his retirement? Cause I don't see any jets fan complaining that he did, or complaining that they released him...
I know you hate him, every bear fan do. IF and WHEN he signs with the queens, than I'll probably change my mind. But he hasn't. He still hasn't betrayed the fans...

Did he retire? It sure does not look that way. If he did than what is all this Viking crap all about?

Did the Jets accept Favre's retirement? A lot better than Favre himself has. He obviously wanted to play but the Jets will not play the Packers for some time and that is all he cares about.
His "retirement" from the Jets was about as honest as his "retirement" from the Packers.
Then again this is not the first time that he has pulled this act. As a Packer fan you should know all about it.

Even if you are a Packer fan and have loved Favre over the years you have to admit that he has made a fool of himself over the last 4 or 5 years.
If you don't see it then you are blinded by the green and gold glasses.
I would guess that there are more than a few Packer fans who feel that Favre has betrayed the fans just from the fact that he keeps trying to get himself in a Vikings uniform to stick it to the Green Bay Packers.
He has created this mess and he has lost a lot of respect around the league because of it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he retire? It sure does not look that way. If he did than what is all this Viking crap all about?

Did the Jets accept Favre's retirement? A lot better than Favre himself has. He obviously wanted to play but the Jets will not play the Packers for some time and that is all he cares about.
His "retirement" from the Jets was about as honest as his "retirement" from the Packers.
Then again this is not the first time that he has pulled this act. As a Packer fan you should know all about it.

Even if you are a Packer fan and have loved Favre over the years you have to admit that he has made a fool of himself over the last 4 or 5 years.
If you don't see it then you are blinded by the green and gold glasses.
I would guess that there are more than a few Packer fans who feel that Favre has betrayed the fans just from the fact that he keeps trying to get himself in a Vikings uniform to stick it to the Green Bay Packers.
He has created this mess and he has lost a lot of respect around the league because of it.
Not one fact in there. Only personal feelings you have. The only sure thing is that he's retired. If there are "informations" that he's trying to play for the queens, he hasn't signed anything yet, hasn't filled the papers to unretire. I'll repeat. Next time bring some facts, not only suppositions or media information. HE IS RETIRED. UNTILL HE UNRETIRE, HE HASN'T BETRAYED ANYONE. INFORMATIONS THAT HE CONSIDERED ANYTHING HAVE ZERO VALUE, UNLESS SPOKEN BY HIMSELF.

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It hasn't come out and it probably won't for a long time but there is a reason Bret hates Teddy!!!!....I don't know how but I think Teddy was able to trick Bret or push the right buttons to get him out of there! I mean come on here, this was never going to be Teddy's team with Bret there! His number 1 draft pick Rogers was NEVER seeing the field with Bret there! Teddy's boy Rogers was 3 years in a 4 year contract probably running in Teddy's office every other day reminding Teddy he promised Bret would only be around a couple more year when he drafted Rogers!! Lets face facts, he couldn't release Bret or send him packing because then he would have looked like the bad guy and the fans/shareholders would have wanted his head. He had to get Bret out of there to see what he had in his boy Rogers and the bounce was eventually he could put his name on the team and have his hand picked empire!!!!!!!.....Take the rose colored glasses off!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts