Tarkenton on Favre -- he slams him

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It hasn't come out and it probably won't for a long time but there is a reason Bret hates Teddy!!!!....I don't know how but I think Teddy was able to trick Bret or push the right buttons to get him out of there! I mean come on here, this was never going to be Teddy's team with Bret there! His number 1 draft pick Rogers was NEVER seeing the field with Bret there! Teddy's boy Rogers was 3 years in a 4 year contract probably running in Teddy's office every other day reminding Teddy he promised Bret would only be around a couple more year when he drafted Rogers!! Lets face facts, he couldn't release Bret or send him packing because then he would have looked like the bad guy and the fans/shareholders would have wanted his head. He had to get Bret out of there to see what he had in his boy Rogers and the bounce was eventually he could put his name on the team and have his hand picked empire!!!!!!!.....Take the rose colored glasses off!!!!

There was a lot of speculation about that last year. I remember somethings, like Brett wanted TT to hire a personal friend as head coach (Maraucci? Really, I can't remember now) and TT said that he would interview him, but decided to go with MM; Brett wanted Moss in GB and TT lost him to the Pats...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't think Brett and TT ever got along. Conflict of personalities. It happens. I worked with a guy in the ANG for 18 years that I could not stand. We were like oil and water. We did the job, but exchanging Christmas cards, never happened. (Maybe I'll send him one this year just to mess with his mind) I think Brett talked with TT about these things, Brett thought he was being taken seriously and TT just gave him answers to placate him. So Brett now sees these things as slights against him. As many people would.

One of the problems I see with Brett and Packer fans is ownership. When a Player plays so long for a team and puts so much into it, the fans develop an "ownership" of that player. They forget that in reality for the player it's a job. One he likes to do. When the team he plays for no longer wants him and he still wants to play he moves on to another team. Nothing against the fans, to the player the move is a job move, not one based on emotional attachments to the fans. If Lombardi had lived longer and won 4-5 Super bowls with the Redskins and demolished the Packers for 10 years after he left would the fans still have the love for him that they do? Or would he be a traitor? It's a question we can't answer. But 15 years from now Brett will be remembered as a Packer, not a Jet, or if he goes there, a Viking.

gbpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a crap town in Illinois, I was in Rice Lake WI
Depends on how do you see it.

"be·tray (b
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
-tr
)tr.v. be·trayed, be·tray·ing, be·trays 1. a. To give aid or information to an enemy of; commit treason against: betray one's country.
b. To deliver into the hands of an enemy in violation of a trust or allegiance: betrayed Christ to the Romans.

2. To be false or disloyal to: betrayed their cause; betray one's better nature.
3. To divulge in a breach of confidence: betray a secret.
4. To make known unintentionally: Her hollow laugh betrayed her contempt for the idea.
5. To reveal against one's desire or will.
6. To lead astray; deceive."

If the guy goes to Kmart and he passes information to them, that's an act of betrayal.

In this case, brett (NO CAPS! HE DOESN'T DESERVE IT ANYMORE) is 1- aidding the enemy, 2- betraying PackerNation, 3- delivering pases into the hands of WR enemies, 4- being false to every Packer fan that simple adored him for SIXTEEN years, 5- being there he will divulge in a breach of confidence of our entire playbook, 6- making intentionally knows that he's doing that just to get even with a GM and 7- deceived everyone with his crocodile tears when he announced his retirement.

That's your point of view I guess, but I think you are taking this too personally. I am sure he appreciates his fans and is not doing this to spite us (or hopefully anyone) and it is solely for the love of the game.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Walmart is offensive to you pick another business, after all that is all it is to #4 and many other players.

How can you be so sure when the people that know him (Peter King for one) say that he has it out for the Packers. I take everything that the guys in the media say with a grain of salt, but the naivety is just overwhelming and irritating when people who have never met the guy think that everything in his heart is pure gold - or Green and Gold I guess - even though his words and actions over the past year or more have shown the exact opposite.

And to compare a football team to Walmart? Get a clue, please. Walmart's terrible treatment of their employees very well noted, while Brett was treated like a freaking saint for 16 years. And going to KMart is just going from one sh** job to another where the competition between the two conglomerates are in competition solely at the top of their respective beaurocratic heirarchies. A football player going a rival team is going there to eventually go to war against the old team. I can't believe that I just wasted my time responding to that...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
How can you be so sure when the people that know him (Peter King for one) say that he has it out for the Packers. I take everything that the guys in the media say with a grain of salt, but the naivety is just overwhelming and irritating when people who have never met the guy think that everything in his heart is pure gold - or Green and Gold I guess - even though his words and actions over the past year or more have shown the exact opposite.

And to compare a football team to Walmart? Get a clue, please. Walmart's terrible treatment of their employees very well noted, while Brett was treated like a freaking saint for 16 years. And going to KMart is just going from one sh** job to another where the competition between the two conglomerates are in competition solely at the top of their respective beaurocratic heirarchies. A football player going a rival team is going there to eventually go to war against the old team. I can't believe that I just wasted my time responding to that...
Do you honestly believe the NFL treats it's players all that well? Maybe the guys making the big money like Brady and Manning. But for the average "in the trenches" players, they get treated about as good a Wal-Mart employees. Actually Wal-Mart employees have better legal protection in their jobs.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's your point of view I guess, but I think you are taking this too personally. I am sure he appreciates his fans and is not doing this to spite us (or hopefully anyone) and it is solely for the love of the game.

Did he no longer love the game during his last two years in Green Bay?
He did walk away from it all after threatening to do so for several years.
They were coming off a trip to the NFC title game so what was the problem there?
I thought that playing in Green Bay was supposed to be the perfect setting for this guy?

Did he not love playing football in New York while they were winning?
He walked away again after that team made a commitment to Brett Favre and he did not do the same for them.

Now he wants to play "for the love of the game" once again?
No.
This is some misguided revenge that he is seeking as payback for 16 years of the team and the fans treating him like he was a God in Green Bay.
Poor baby.
In spite of all the admiration that was thrown at him and the huge amounts of money given to him in Green Bay he wants to stick it to the Packers because he put his own *** in an awkward situation that he did not know how to get out of.
He wants to go into Lambeau Field and beat your Packers and his love of the game has nothing to do with it.

I personally hope that he does play for the Vikings this season.
He is bad in domes, he will throw the Vikings into turmoil, he is washed up and he will make them a bigger joke than they already are. Maybe he can even **** off Adrian Peterson while he is at it.

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...where the competition between the two conglomerates are in competition solely at the top of their respective beaurocratic heirarchies...

That business, what do you expect them to do? Work together and look out for the good of the world? It sounds like you do and would expect old #4 to do the same. I like the sound of your world, but it is not going to happen.

I hope nothing but the worst possible for both the packers and the vikings! So far it seems like it will happen with Farve joining the vikings.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That business, what do you expect them to do? Work together and look out for the good of the world? It sounds like you do and would expect old #4 to do the same. I like the sound of your world, but it is not going to happen.

I have no idea wtf you're talking about. I'm saying that a cashier (or other low-level employee) at Walmart has zero animosity against KMart and vice-versa. A cashier's leaving for the other place isn't going to hurt the old company at all. But football players who play with a team for a lot of years are going to be involved at the forefront of rivalries and could very well hurt the old team by joining the rival. And Favre believing Favre's wish to join the Vikings over any other team has nothing to do with getting back at Thompson and the Packers is nievity at best.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe the NFL treats it's players all that well? Maybe the guys making the big money like Brady and Manning. But for the average "in the trenches" players, they get treated about as good a Wal-Mart employees. Actually Wal-Mart employees have better legal protection in their jobs.

There are millions of dollars' difference between the pay in their jobs. If a guy gets fired from Walmart he's going to be hurting for money, but if an NFL player gets cut he will still have some dough to fall back on unless he is one of those idiots that blows his signing bonus on stuff that he can't afford expecting to pay it back with their next big pay day (that doesn't always come). NFL players are going to be pushed a million times harder in their work, but they're freaking athletes and are not only accostomed to it but they know what they're in for. Sure they can get cut much easier and for less reason, but that is what they're in for from the beginning and are generally fortunate just to have been given the chance even if they don't feel that they got a fair shake.

But everything that you said is moot because we're not talking about the average player here. We're talking about Brett Favre. You know, the guy that was given the $10 million per/ however the hell long you wanna play contract and was always given the best treatment until the team wanted to move on before his ungrateful a** did.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
There are millions of dollars' difference between the pay in their jobs. If a guy gets fired from Walmart he's going to be hurting for money, but if an NFL player gets cut he will still have some dough to fall back on unless he is one of those idiots that blows his signing bonus on stuff that he can't afford expecting to pay it back with their next big pay day (that doesn't always come). NFL players are going to be pushed a million times harder in their work, but they're freaking athletes and are not only accostomed to it but they know what they're in for. Sure they can get cut much easier and for less reason, but that is what they're in for from the beginning and are generally fortunate just to have been given the chance even if they don't feel that they got a fair shake.

But everything that you said is moot because we're not talking about the average player here. We're talking about Brett Favre. You know, the guy that was given the $10 million per/ however the hell long you wanna play contract and was always given the best treatment until the team wanted to move on before his ungrateful a** did.
Yea right. Average NFL career is 3.5 years and average pay is about $770,000 a year. (For the Packers its about $440,000) Don't see the millions there. And I would be sure to bet the the guy drafted in the number 100 spot sure didn't get any signing bonus money. And if you get to the retires part, their retirement plan sucks. Wanna guess which company retires more millionaires a year then any other? Wal-Mart.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole point isn't about Favre vs. Packers or Employee vs. WalMart. It's about the fans! Wamart can't make 70,000 fans stand in the chilling cold for hours, without their shirts on. People don't cheer for Walmart and argue with other people about who's better, Walmart or Kmart. The whole comparison cannot be made. Football is NOT just a job...

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea right. Average NFL career is 3.5 years and average pay is about $770,000 a year. (For the Packers its about $440,000) Don't see the millions there. And I would be sure to bet the the guy drafted in the number 100 spot sure didn't get any signing bonus money. And if you get to the retires part, their retirement plan sucks. Wanna guess which company retires more millionaires a year then any other? Wal-Mart.

Oh, well I guess that I'll just give up my aspirations of being a pro football player and go spend the rest of my life working at Wal-Mart then. :icon_rolleyes:

What kind of retirement plan do you think you're going to get working 3.5 years at Wal-Mart? Do you think that you'll be making over $2.5 million in that time period? You're missing or ignoring so many points just to grasp at straws (for what I don't know), and not the least of those points is that even the players at the bottom of the NFL and UDFA signings are going to get a decent chunk of money for a very little period of time (relatively speaking to the amount of time that it will take to make you a millionaire at Walmart) that they work.

Most UDFAs get the rookie minimum salary ($285,000 as of a few years ago) and a small signing bonus. They probably don't collect much of that base salary when cut, but even a singing bonus o $50,000 over a couple months time is great pay. And if they are done with football after that, as no other team wants them, they are still in their early 20s! They can go make more money after that wherever they please, and with somewhat of a college education they will likely still end up doing a lot better than they would at your precious Walmart.

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...A cashier's leaving for the other place isn't going to hurt the old company at all.

Wrong if they have information (although it is unlikely) about their previous employer that could help their new employeer and better their situation as a result they will do it.

Farve will use whatever he learned or developed as a QB over the years to help himself and whatever team he plays for. Should anyone expect any less?

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, well I guess that I'll just give up my aspirations of being a pro football player and go spend the rest of my life working at Wal-Mart then. .

If you posting on this forum instead of training for that pro football career every minute you might as well.

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole point isn't about Favre vs. Packers or Employee vs. WalMart. It's about the fans! Wamart can't make 70,000 fans stand in the chilling cold for hours, without their shirts on. People don't cheer for Walmart and argue with other people about who's better, Walmart or Kmart. The whole comparison cannot be made. Football is NOT just a job...

And the players don't show up and play in the cold for those fans now do they? People have to pay them to show up and play, sounds like a buisness to me.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When your team sucks that much, you have to figure ways to make it less important... Maybe for bears "fans" it's just a job. Not for Packer fans.

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get it!

I don't see why all the negativity about Brett. Why should the Green Bay Packer players, fans, or front office care where or if Brett plays? Sure, he retired and came back and said he made a mistake, that isn't the first time that happened and won't be the last. He wanted to come back to the Packers but Teddy and Mikey didn't want him, period. So now Brett is just suppose to go "ok, I guess if Green Bay doesn't want me I just won't play"!
I'm mean really here, if the guy feels like he can still play then he has a right to play and for whatever team he wants. If that team is willing to pay him and play him no one in Green Bay should be mad about it since Green Bay didn't want him back!!!!.....I don't get it, if you want to be mad at someone be mad at Teddy, we all know who is running this show and we all know that it was Teddy that didn't want him back. I got sick of the drama every year of will he or won't he retire too but I just put that aside because watching him play for 16 years and a whole bunch of fun!! If he plays for the Vikings I won't be mad a Brett, our front office didn't want him back. Teddy had two ways to go, win now or build for the future and he picked build for the future by not taking Brett back so his number 1 draft pick could play. No one can tell me he picked win now, if your looking out 1 to 2 years taking Brett back was the way to go because not even Teddy could think Rogers was a better QB then Brett. He might have thought after a few years of play experience he could be good enough to get them back to a Super Bowl. Brett and Teddy have ownership in how badly this played out but most of what I ready everyone wants to hang it on Brett!!!!......I guess we have our share of fair weather fans, what have you done for me lately!!!!!....Eveyone forgets fast about all he did over those 16 years and now he is the bad guy traiter!!!!!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if Brett wants to play with another team. I cheered for him last year with the Jets. I don't care if he wants to play against GB. He hates TT and wants his revenge. BUT I CARE IF HE PLAYS FOR THE QUEENS. That's unforgivable!
If Favre wants to play again, that's fine! JUST DON'T DO IT FOR OUR RIVALS!

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When your team sucks that much, you have to figure ways to make it less important... Maybe for bears "fans" it's just a job. Not for Packer fans.

It's still important to me to a point, I don't let my team winning or loosing influence my attitude and outlook on life.

I said it is business to the players and I stand by that.

Possibly you are bitter about the 6 -10 season the packers finished. The Bears were 9 - 7 which, as I have seen on this forum, is the fans goals for the packers this year. Way to dream big!

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just don't do it for our rivals

I can't say that I'm crazy that he is playing for a rival either and I know the fans are thinking where is his loyality but he is probably thinking where is the loyality too!!!....Sure he was the one who made an emotional knee jerk decession and retired early instead of thinking it through. And he admitted that was his mistake in doing that but I'm sure after all he had done for 16 years putting it out there on the field every Sunday that maybe they could over look his poor judgement. Nope, Teddy seen his chance and took it as a clean way to get Brett gone and his guy on the field! It couldn't have worked out any more perfect for Teddy!!!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying he won't be loyal to the FANS because TED THOMPSON wasn't loyal to him? So he's attacking us to get to TT. To me, that's just wrong.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lets see....
$770,000 x 3.5 years = $2,695,000.
Still don't see the millions yet?

That was average salary and average career length.
How many years would it take for your average Wal-Mart employee to make that kind of money?
If you work 40 hours a week (and that is not the case with stores like Wal-Mart because they like to keep everyone as part time to avoid benefits) then it should take you about 150 years to earn that amount.

This whole comparison is dumb at best.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying he won't be loyal to the FANS because TED THOMPSON wasn't loyal to him? So he's attacking us to get to TT. To me, that's just wrong.

I think that it boils down to Ted Thompson wasn't loyal to him, which can be debated on end but Brett certainly feels so, so he wants to get back at TT. He is not attacking the Green Bay fans directly, but latently he will be hurting the millions who loved him for 16 years whether he plays well or not. He has to know that, but will do it anyway. To hurt millions of people and their image of him in order to get back at one person shows the absolute opposite of loyalty to all involved. But this is all assuming that Peter King, and others who say that he is just out to get back at TT and the Packers, was right.

Put another way, in football, or sports in general, you cannot hurt just one person by playing well. And you certainly can't hurt solely a front office guy just by playing well. There are going to be teammates, coaches, and other staff involved that empathize in the fact that it is just a business. But fans are different because fanhood is far from a business to them.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it boils down to Ted Thompson wasn't loyal to him, which can be debated on end but Brett certainly feels so, so he wants to get back at TT. He is not attacking the Green Bay fans directly, but latently he will be hurting the millions who loved him for 16 years whether he plays well or not. He has to know that, but will do it anyway. To hurt millions of people and their image of him in order to get back at one person shows the absolute opposite of loyalty to all involved. But this is all assuming that Peter King, and others who say that he is just out to get back at TT and the Packers, was right.

Put another way, in football, or sports in general, you cannot hurt just one person by playing well. And you certainly can't hurt solely a front office guy just by playing well. There are going to be teammates, coaches, and other staff involved that empathize in the fact that it is just a business. But fans are different because fanhood is far from a business to them.

And how was Ted Thompson not loyal to Brett Favre?
Because Favre retired and he took him at his word?
Because the team had to have a QB and with Favre "retired" Rodgers was named the starter? That is why Rodgers was drafted in the first place.

Favre created this whole mess and his bluff was called.
It was he who screwed this up and he was too dumb and too wrapped up in his giant ego to fix it.
He wanted to drag the whole "I quit-I don't quit" thing out for another summer and have everyone in Green Bay beg him to play again.
The team only wanted an answer if he was going to come back or not instead of playing his stupid mind game for the 4th year in a row.
When Favre gave his snorting like a pig press conference and said that he had given all he could give and it was over then Packers moved forward and they were absolutely right to do so.
That is when Favre got his ******* in a bunch and he has been looking for some weird form of payback ever since.

Members online

Latest posts