Talk of releasing Jones. Sad but true -- adios amigo

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn it. I called it a few minutes after the Jacobs story broke, but was hoping I was wrong.

This is hard news. I guess the good news we take away from this, Gute is absolutely dead serious about doing every single thing he thinks needs to be done to win that trophy.

Reaction score
Denver and Phoenix are subject to state income tax...Dallas and Houston are not. Thats big.
No question about it. Although I often wonder if players from other states (He has a home in Texas) pay taxes where they work for a 1/2 year? Or do you know that for a fact? I’m more curious on that if they even pay taxes where they work it’s at least a good question.

Either way he’s not drawing anywhere close to that $120,000 yearly number presented. That’s chump change to these guys imo. He probably credit cards that much in a month just to get rewards.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad that Aaron Jones is leaving, but totally understand the math. Jacobs is younger, hopefully more durable, and productive. AJ wouldn't decrease salary so financially makes sense to cut & save cap$.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question about it. Although I often wonder if players from other states (He has a home in Texas) pay taxes where they work for a 1/2 year? Or do you know that for a fact? I’m more curious on that if they even pay taxes where they work it’s at least a good question.

Either way he’s not drawing anywhere close to that $120,000 yearly number presented. That’s chump change to these guys imo. He probably credit cards that much in a month just to get rewards.
Im pretty sure its based on where your employment is. But if have to move say to Florida or Texas thats ok...I hope Aaron Jones isnt doing that math right now.....UGH

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im pretty sure its based on where your employment is. But if have to move say to Florida or Texas thats ok...I hope Aaron Jones isnt doing that math right now.....UGH
Edit I belivee you must live in the state for 180 days to show resdencey.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn it. I called it a few minutes after the Jacobs story broke, but was hoping I was wrong.

This is hard news. I guess the good news we take away from this, Gute is absolutely dead serious about doing every single thing he thinks needs to be done to win that trophy.
Then he should have kept Jones! Jacobs comes with baggage, not necessarily a great locker room guy and questionable leadership... 26 vs. 29, I don't like this one bit!

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones vs. Jacobs: Jacobs 130 more carries, 400 less yards; 75 fewer receptions, 600 fewer rec. yards. TD's even 45/46; Jones 5.0 ypc and Jacobs 4.2ypc. Overall, makes little sense from a performance perspective and with Jacobs purported baggage even less sense to release Jones. Do not like this decision at all and difficult to see why unless it was pure money... but then, question are you really looking to win a title ??? Bad in my book!

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then he should have kept Jones! Jacobs comes with baggage, not necessarily a great locker room guy and questionable leadership... 26 vs. 29, I don't like this one bit!
I can't argue with you. It's a ballsy decision, but that doesn't always mean it's a smart one. Also, I see that while Jacobs is younger, he's had a lot more carries already than Jones. A lot more wear and tear.

I respect Gutekunst's aggressiveness, but have some doubts about the wisdom of this one.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones vs. Jacobs: Jacobs 130 more carries, 400 less yards; 75 fewer receptions, 600 fewer rec. yards. TD's even 45/46; Jones 5.0 ypc and Jacobs 4.2ypc.
Okay, but that was for a different team. Put him in MLF's scheme with our OL and Jordan Love throwing to him, maybe those numbers come up. And maybe he's more motivated, knowing he might be playing for a ring. Football is a team sport, after all.

I know, I'm not happy about losing Jones either, but I'm sure there's a plan in place here.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never sensed any angst between Jones and the Packers. I'm convinced it will all get worked out in due time.
I was too
Jones vs. Jacobs: Jacobs 130 more carries, 400 less yards; 75 fewer receptions, 600 fewer rec. yards. TD's even 45/46; Jones 5.0 ypc and Jacobs 4.2ypc. Overall, makes little sense from a performance perspective and with Jacobs purported baggage even less sense to release Jones. Do not like this decision at all and difficult to see why unless it was pure money... but then, question are you really looking to win a title ??? Bad in my book!
Playing for a bad team without a HOF QB to take the pressure off. Teams loaded up against Jacobs all his career and he still won the rushing title 2 years ago. I honestly don't think there is a lot of difference overall in ability between Jacobs and Jones. Jones may have been a bit more consistent but again look at the teams they played on.

I'm sad to see Jones go but of all the potential replacements I think I'm glad it was Jacobs they got to replace him.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Jones sucks. Jacobs is a bigger back that can give you some more short yardage first downs but Jones is explosive. I call him the human highlight reel. Jacobs is a top caliber RB and so is Jones. Gute basically did a switch for a younger player. Locker room impact doesn't appear to concern Gute one iota. Maybe it's overrated.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Losing Jones sucks. Jacobs is a bigger back that can give you some more short yardage first downs but Jones is explosive. I call him the human highlight reel. Jacobs is a top caliber RB and so is Jones. Gute basically did a switch for a younger player. Locker room impact doesn't appear to concern Gute one iota. Maybe it's overrated.
Maybe it's going to be Love's locker room now.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling in pit of my stomach that this was a bad move that we will come to regret.
Jones will likely end up in Minnesota. The Vikings are desperate for a RB. The bad feeling in the pit of your stomach will hurt even more when Jones inflicts a lot pain wearing purple.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading Silverstein alluding to Jones testing the market and then coming back to the Packers to see if they can match or top the offer. If so, this might not be over yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading Silverstein alluding to Jones testing the market and then coming back to the Packers to see if they can match or top the offer. If so, this might not be over yet. Keep your fingers crossed!
GB won't be investing $20+mil/yr on 2 RB's (Jacobs & Jones), imho. Jacobs, a day 2 drafted RB, Wilson, and 2 or 3 low round or UDFA guys learning on PS.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacobs signing is definitely a surprise.

Did not see that one coming.

Respect to Aaron Jones, hopes he gets what he is looking for.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Jones sucks. Jacobs is a bigger back that can give you some more short yardage first downs but Jones is explosive.
I saw a video, they were saying that the passing game, with all its weapons, will be able to get the explosive plays, while Jacobs will be the bruising runner Dillon wasn't able to be.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way there are enough snaps to keep two marquee RB's like Jones and Jacobs happy. Gute has moved on from Jones. I like Jacobs, he's a beast but Jones is lightning. Jacobs is years younger so Gute picked youth over what he deemed the "heartbeat if the team".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

You pay taxes at every state you play in

Members online

Latest posts