1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Swain > Martin?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by c_mac, Sep 8, 2009.

1. c_mac

c_mac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    I guess I'm surprised they cut Ruvell Martin and kept Brett Swain. I know that Martin wasn't a #1 receiver but he was a big, physical wide out, the only one with any real height on our roster and it seems we replaced him with another little guy.

2. paco

paco Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Swain is 6-0, 203lbs so I wouldn't call him little. Swain has a good work ethic and has improved his play a lot over the last year. I'm not saying he's better than Martin, but Martin hs only had about 50 catches over the last 3 years. The #5 WR spot just isn't that productive and Swain is more cost effective at that spot.

Add in that he has a higher ceiling that Martin and he plays special teams and you have a new #5 WR. I like Swain, while I don't think he'll be more than a #3 anywhere, he is a good guy to have around. And as for the size thing... Finley is our new redzone target anyway. He'll be a beast inside the 20 for us.

3. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    I don't care that Martin cost 700 grand more than Swain, he was a better football player. At a certain point, you sacrafice price for fielding the best team.

4. paco

paco Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Very true, but has Martin really shown that much more than Swain or anyone else the last few years? Not really. Swain, given the chance, could surprise people.

Martin's numbers the last 3 years...
    41 games, 52 rec, 749 yards, 14.4 avg, 18.3 yd/gm, 6 tds.

good numbers, but replacable. I wish Martin the best, he was definitely a good player and person.

5. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    My take on the whole thing is that the management classified both very closely, but Swain is the better ST player, is younger and cheaper, and has more room for improvement than Martin. And just like Paco said, Finley is our de facto #5 wr, and he's bigger and blocks better than Martin. The de jure #5 WR would be a guy that would step in in case of injury. And in that case, height advantage wouldn't be a difference maker. Hands and route running would. And in that case, both are very close, but as I've said, Swain is cheaper, has more upside and playes ST better.

6. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    They kept Swain because he has a higher upside and he's cheaper.

7. ThinkICare

ThinkICare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Since the Pack are deep at the WR position, it made sense to let him go so Ruvell can be a No. 3 receiver or higher for some other team. I really do wish him the best. I just hope he doesn't go to an NFC North team.

8. paco

paco Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think one of them would have claimed him by now if they wanted to. But I can see the Bears signing him in a couple weeks if their offense doesn't take off. Lions too.

9. ThinkICare

ThinkICare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Any team that is weak at the WR position would be dumb not to pick up Ruvell. I just really hope an NFC North team do not pick him up is all.

10. Fazeman

Fazeman Setting The Pace

Ratings:
    +20
    I have to admit I never heard of Swain :dontknow: until I saw his locker-room interview last night. I was impressed with what he and coach MM said of Martin. As paco said, Martin's numbers were impressive. And for a guy that played #5receiver and special teams, he definitely left a footprint IMHO.

As a lesson for me, I'll read up on the team's roster. Less embarrassing that way.

11. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I think the biggest reason Martin was released is because of special team play. I find it surprising he hasn't signed with anyone yet...