Surprise Opponent of 2016

D

Deleted member 6794

The worst ideas that a Packer fan can have is this. Treadwell works out to be top WR. Patterson finally plays up to his draft position, AP doesn't slow down, Bridgewater takes the next step forward. And the Vikings defense takes another step up.

Aside of the bold part everything is possible but there´s no reason to believe that Patterson will ever perform up to his draft position.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - Cordarrelle should concentrate on trying to live up to a couple rounds below his actual draft position. He should get cut but his draft position has him holding on for one more year. See Packers fans, it's not just something that 'ol stingy Thompson does.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Agreed - Cordarrelle should concentrate on trying to live up to a couple rounds below his actual draft position. He should get cut but his draft position has him holding on for one more year. See Packers fans, it's not just something that 'ol stingy Thompson does.
Because if a first round WR does not come out and light the fire his first 3 years he will never be any good. Correct?

I think this kid is going to surprise some folks this year. He seems to have turned the corner since they didn't pick up the 5th year on his contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because if a first round WR does not come out and light the fire his first 3 years he will never be any good. Correct?

I think this kid is going to surprise some folks this year. He seems to have turned the corner since they didn't pick up the 5th year on his contract.

For crying out loud Patterson had a total of two (!!!) receptions last season while being healthy all year on a team in desperate need of quality receivers.

I understand being optimistic about your team but expecting him to live up to his draft position is completely unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For crying out loud Patterson had a total of two (!!!) receptions last season while being healthy all year on a team in desperate need of quality receivers.

I understand being optimistic about your team but expecting him to live up to his deaft position is completely unrealistic.
He stated he is going to surprise. If Patterson has 5 catches this coming season, we will all be surprised.

Sky King

Reaction score
Well, AP will slow down. Bridgewater won't improve, the Vikings WR's will suck, Treadwell will never work out to anything. And if the Vikings beat the Packers again this year it will be because the Packer are playing poorly once again.

The worst ideas that a Packer fan can have is this. Treadwell works out to be top WR. Patterson finally plays up to his draft position, AP doesn't slow down, Bridgewater takes the next step forward. And the Vikings defense takes another step up.
Hell froze over??? ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if they do all that, I'm not afraid of them if we're playing like they should. I welcome it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
He stated he is going to surprise. If Patterson has 5 catches this coming season, we will all be surprised.
I could see him getting back to his first year stats without much problem. His has been a mental issue, not a physical one. 45-50 catches is not outside the realm. Of course if you want to base it off of last year then no, he won't be any good.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could see him getting back to his first year stats without much problem. His has been a mental issue, not a physical one. 45-50 catches is not outside the realm. Of course if you want to base it off of last year then no, he won't be any good.

Even if Patterson catches 45-50 balls (which is highly unrealistic in my opinion) teams expect better numbers out of a first round pick.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not a fan of this pick. Patterson had great measureables but little skill. Treadwell is the opposite. He has great skills, well, he has good measureables as well. I think he will have a great year and career with the vikes. I would bet patterson is going to be gone after this season. 5 catches was hyperbole, but 45 is closer to reality but a little optimistic.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was not a fan of this pick. Patterson had great measureables but little skill. Treadwell is the opposite. He has great skills, well, he has good measureables as well. I think he will have a great year and career with the vikes.

I would be concerned about Treadwell's ability to separate from defensive backs in the NFL as well as him not attacking the ball to take advantage of his ability to make contested catches.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I would be concerned about Treadwell's ability to separate from defensive backs in the NFL as well as him not attacking the ball to take advantage of his ability to make contested catches.
Separation means nothing if you can't catch the ball. See Troy "stone hands" Williamson as a good example. Just about everyone else feels that Treadwell will do fine and that he fights for the ball. So I don't know were you are getting your info on his ability to fight for catches from.

D

Deleted member 6794

Separation means nothing if you can't catch the ball. See Troy "stone hands" Williamson as a good example. Just about everyone else feels that Treadwell will do fine and that he fights for the ball. So I don't know were you are getting your info on his ability to fight for catches from.

Treadwell has inconsistent hands at best dropping nine of 91 catchable balls last season.

Here's a link to an article about why he's not a top receiving prospect explaining that he lacks the willingness to attack the ball for contested receptions.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-monson-why-laquon-treadwell-is-not-a-top-wr-prospect/

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Watch the tape.

And need I remind you, you dont care what experts think.

For the umpteenth time you struggle to understand what I don't care about. Pro Football Focus has watched every single snap of Treadwell for the past two seasons (something you and I don't have access to) and because of it come up with a thorough evaluation of his play.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the umpteenth time you struggle to understand what I don't care about. Pro Football Focus has watched every single snap of Treadwell for the past two seasons (something you and I don't have access to) and because of it come up with a thorough evaluation of his play.
So, they aren't experts, therefore you care? You are rather confusing. But what you made perfectly clear is that you dont care what experts think.

Or maybe you just like to argue and back yourself into a corner and end up saying something ridiculous to prevent yourself from having to admit you are wrong.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, AP will slow down. Bridgewater won't improve, the Vikings WR's will suck, Treadwell will never work out to anything. And if the Vikings beat the Packers again this year it will be because the Packer are playing poorly once again.

Not exactly sure what was meant by this post, if it was sarcasm, or meant as a jab against anyone here writing off the Vikings.

I do see some posters writing off Treadwell a bit prematurely, and perhaps some not totally understanding what Zimmer has been able to accomplish.

I think the division will be a battle between our guys and your guys Raptor, and I could see that game on Christmas Eve being the big one for all the marbles, possibly not just the division title but possibly a number 1 playoff seed too. I'm even hoping to have some money saved up for that to go up and get some tickets to that one, suspect it's going to be packed to the brim in Lambeau.

But I think we all agree, Minny cannot be written off, compared to the Bears and Lions, the Vikes are certainly best positioned as our closest contender atm.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So, they aren't experts, therefore you care? You are rather confusing. But what you made perfectly clear is that you dont care what experts think.

Or maybe you just like to argue and back yourself into a corner and end up saying something ridiculous to prevent yourself from having to admit you are wrong.
My theory is this. If these guys who are claiming to be authorities on players were really any good, they wouldn't be at PFF, they would be with a team as scout. But that's just me. :)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what was meant by this post, if it was sarcasm, or meant as a jab against anyone here writing off the Vikings.

I do see some posters writing off Treadwell a bit prematurely, and perhaps some not totally understanding what Zimmer has been able to accomplish.

I think the division will be a battle between our guys and your guys Raptor, and I could see that game on Christmas Eve being the big one for all the marbles, possibly not just the division title but possibly a number 1 playoff seed too. I'm even hoping to have some money saved up for that to go up and get some tickets to that one, suspect it's going to be packed to the brim in Lambeau.

But I think we all agree, Minny cannot be written off, compared to the Bears and Lions, the Vikes are certainly best positioned as our closest contender atm.
Maybe a little of both? Not directed and any one person that is for sure.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patterson's issue is mental, and the fact that he's not smart enough to study the playbook. He's not somebody worth getting excited about....more someone to shake your head and and think about what could have been.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Patterson's issue is mental, and the fact that he's not smart enough to study the playbook. He's not somebody worth getting excited about....more someone to shake your head and and think about what could have been.
See that's part of it. Everyone who has been around him he last few years has said that this group of OTA's he has been a different player. Focused on his route running and know the playbook. We shall see if it translates into anything.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems like you´re the one who likes to argue as you only reply to one of my posts as soon as you think you´ve found something contradictory in any of them. Unfortunately most of your posts don´t contain any meaningful insight because of it.

My theory is this. If these guys who are claiming to be authorities on players were really any good, they wouldn't be at PFF, they would be with a team as scout. But that's just me. :)

That´s true for every other "expert" working in the media. Unfortunately team scouts don´t offer a lot of information on draft prospects. But here are quotes from some of them talking to Bob McGinn about Treadwell before this year´s draft:

"He's got a lot of traits like Anquan Boldin," said one scout. "His physicality. He won't be the fastest but he does have size and stature. He doesn't run the whole route tree there. Plays with an attitude. A lot of people knock him on the speed but when the ball's at the catch point he comes down with it." Suffered a brutal leg injury in mid-2014 but was back for the start of '15. Finished with a school-record 202 catches (in just 35 games) for 2,393 yards (11.8-yard average) and 21 touchdowns. "Solid," said another scout. "Larry Fitzgerald didn't run well. Even Jerry Rice, he never ran better than 4.6. I hate to get scared off by the time but I would not take him (in the first round)." Won't turn 21 until June. Scored 20 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "He has no run after the catch ability," a third scout said. "He runs heavy-legged. I don't like him. Everybody's trying to make him out as a No. 1 receiver but he's not."

See that's part of it. Everyone who has been around him he last few years has said that this group of OTA's he has been a different player. Focused on his route running and know the playbook. We shall see if it translates into anything.

Kinda reminds me of Davante Adams, the Packers offseason MVP last season. We all know how that work out. Nevertheless he had more catches and receiving yards than Patterson has had in any of his three seasons.

Latest posts