Surprise Opponent of 2016

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think the Bears will be much improved under John Fox. Their schedule is very favorable. Their Defense got a lot better with some FA moves as well as their draft. The key for the Bears will be Cutler and the offense. As Packer fans we usually see Cutler at his worst, but if the guy plays up to his potential and their offense starts clicking, the Bears could surprise some teams this year.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think the Bears will be much improved under John Fox. Their schedule is very favorable. Their Defense got a lot better with some FA moves as well as their draft. The key for the Bears will be Cutler and the offense. As Packer fans we usually see Cutler at his worst, but if the guy plays up to his potential and their offense starts clicking, the Bears could surprise some teams this year.

It's possible, I know they added Trevathan, Freeman, and Houston to their linebacking corps, that certainly could be improved this year.

But like you I'm looking at their offense which now lost Martellus Bennett and Matt Forte and their WR corps ... well they're really young there and outside of Alshon Jeffery we don't really know what they got. Fox is a coach that players do seem to like playing for, I will give him that, but having lost Adam Gase I just think the Bears got a little more rocky roads ahead before he can raise them up.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we don't play Oakland. They are my dark horse. I think they'll win 12-13 games this year (no joke) and could quite possibly represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. Their defense is going to be sick nasty and Carr seems like he keeps progressing each season. Crab and Coop form the most underrated WR tandem in the NFL.

I also think that their DC Ken Norton will be an extremely hot head coaching commodity in a year or two.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's possible, I know they added Trevathan, Freeman, and Houston to their linebacking corps, that certainly could be improved this year.

But like you I'm looking at their offense which now lost Martellus Bennett and Matt Forte and their WR corps ... well they're really young there and outside of Alshon Jeffery we don't really know what they got. Fox is a coach that players do seem to like playing for, I will give him that, but having lost Adam Gase I just think the Bears got a little more rocky roads ahead before he can raise them up.

Lamarr Houston already played for the Bears in 2015. I agree that their offense is a question mark but don't forget about Kevin White, last year's seventh overall pick, finally being able to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, on the other hand, think that Vince was the guy who proved that it has to be both. I certainly am not going to deny that he got the most out of the people he had to work with, but he was responsible for bringing in a lot of the dynasty players. Check the '59 roster http://nfl.packers.com/history/all_time_roster/players/, paying special attention to how many of the eventual stars had more than a year or two under their belts at the time. The jump in production from '58 to '59 may well be attributed primarily to coaching, but 'Lombardi's Packers' were most definitely a combination of talented players acquired and a coach who got them to play their best.
We can never prove one way or another.

I believe it is 75% coaching and 25% talent. I would argue that you view those players as talented because Lombardi was a great coach. I think if lombardi had 20 other players instead of starr, Nitchke, adderly, davis, wood etc, we would be talking about players whos names have been lost to history. And if Starr was on the Lions and Nitchke was playing for the Redskins their names would be unheard of today.

Im not saying that a coach doesnt need talented players, im saying that there is a lot of talent available to every team. Many players come into the league each year with measureables like some HOFers. So why do only a few suceed and others do not?

I recall Forrest Gregg saying he thought he was good but agter a few practices of Lombardi yelling at him he doubted his skills. At his low when he thought of quitting, Lombardi rold him to hang in there and he would be good. After that, Gregg dedicated himself even more and said he would run through a wall for him.

We have all had bosses we would do anything for. We have also have had bosses we despised. What a difference it can make in our dedication and efforts. And in the NFL, a very little improvement in 11 men on the field can have large impacts on a play, on a game and over a season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We can never prove one way or another.

I believe it is 75% coaching and 25% talent.

While I agree with your post, I would add that a big factor is also just how coachable a particular player is. Which can be viewed as a reflection on the coaches as well as the player. How many guys have we seen come into the league with all the tools and flounder. Many of these players have track records of "difficult to coach". Even when released and given a "Fresh start" with a new coaching staff, they continue their struggles.

This is an aspect I think TT and Packer Scouts value very highly with the draft and develop mentality and do a pretty good job with. You can get away with drafting a guy with a few less skills and natural talent, as long as they are guys who are excellent at taking instruction and willing to be coached.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an aspect I think TT and Packer Scouts value very highly with the draft and develop mentality and do a pretty good job with. You can get away with drafting a guy with a few less skills and natural talent, as long as they are guys who are excellent at taking instruction and willing to be coached.
Absolutely! One reason reason our draft prospect opinions should always be taken with a grain of salt.We also dont have access to interviews, psychological evals, and opinions of college coaches.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it is 75% coaching and 25% talent.
I agree with the rest of your post but only 25% talent is a way too low percentage.
I agree w/ Capt. 25% is way too low. Should be more like 73% coaching, 68% talent, 31.6% luck (health), 28.7% scheme fit, and 13% social media and other off-field crap savvy.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too think the Jags will be improved this season but my pick is the Giants. I think they will be much improved from last season and contend for the east crown. They added a quality CB in Apple and I think got an absolute steal with WR Sterling Shepard in the second. Adding a playmaker like J Jenkins in the secondary to go with Apple and Rodgers-Cromartie gives them a legit secondary along with 2 above average safeties. The other big off-season addition was Olivier Vernon. He gives them a nice rush option opposite JPP. The biggest question mark for them will again be the OL. If they can hold up and be even a middle of the road group I expect the NYG to be a top 5 scoring offense. When you combine that with what looks to be a ball hawking defense it's not far fetched to see this team being one tough out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I too think the Jags will be improved this season but my pick is the Giants. I think they will be much improved from last season and contend for the east crown. They added a quality CB in Apple and I think got an absolute steal with WR Sterling Shepard in the second. Adding a playmaker like J Jenkins in the secondary to go with Apple and Rodgers-Cromartie gives them a legit secondary along with 2 above average safeties. The other big off-season addition was Olivier Vernon. He gives them a nice rush option opposite JPP. The biggest question mark for them will again be the OL. If they can hold up and be even a middle of the road group I expect the NYG to be a top 5 scoring offense. When you combine that with what looks to be a ball hawking defense it's not far fetched to see this team being one tough out.

There's no denying the Giants added some quality players but still lack talent on the offensive line and at safety. In addition none of their best three cornerbacks is best suited to play in the slot.

It's possible they will win the NFC East but I don't expect them to make any noise in the playoffs.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying the Giants added some quality players but still lack talent on the offensive line and at safety. In addition none of their best three cornerbacks is best suited to play in the slot.

It's possible they will win the NFC East but I don't expect them to make any noise in the playoffs.
I'm certainly not calling a SB run or anything. I do think they will be much improved though. Gagged away many 4th quarters last year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Vikings are overrated because they won the NFC North last season basically because the Packers struggled during the second half of 2015. I´m not suggesting Minnesota is a terrible team but a mediocre one.

I don't personally think the Vikings are better but saying they'll be mediocre is sort of ignoring the progress the team has made. The Vikings have a very good, young defense and their offense is steadily improving. Any team with a good defense has a chance in one game and if Bridgewater continues to improve (and his coaches let him actually throw the ball) then I could see the Vikings making the playoffs as a wild card.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't personally think the Vikings are better but saying they'll be mediocre is sort of ignoring the progress the team has made. The Vikings have a very good, young defense and their offense is steadily improving. Any team with a good defense has a chance in one game and if Bridgewater continues to improve (and his coaches let him actually throw the ball) then I could see the Vikings making the playoffs as a wild card.

There's absolutely no doubt the Vikings defense is legit but I don't agree with their offense steadily improving. I expect them to compete for a wild card berth as well but don't consider them a contender in the NFC.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Vikings are overrated because they won the NFC North last season basically because the Packers struggled during the second half of 2015. I´m not suggesting Minnesota is a terrible team but a mediocre one.

They won the NFC North last season because, with the title on the line, they walked into Lambeau on the last week of the season and beat the Packers.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key to their offense will really be the offensive line. It's been their biggest weakness in recent years closely followed by a lack of stud WRs. Last year they didn't address OL and then lost two of their best players, Loadholt for the entire season.

They made a big push at OL this off-season in free agency and then followed up with an OT in the draft, although Beavers likely won't do much. Getting Treadwell at WR also addresses the weapons need for Bridgewater. So give him time, have the OL run the ball better, and give him a true #1 target and you might see a much improved Vikings offense. Those things need to come together for it to happen though. It's a real possibility but just isn't a lock.

D

Deleted member 6794

They won the NFC North last season because, with the title on the line, they walked into Lambeau on the last week of the season and beat the Packers.

The Packers struggling for most of the second half last season and not the Vikings performance was the main reason for that though.

Getting Treadwell at WR also addresses the weapons need for Bridgewater. So give him time, have the OL run the ball better, and give him a true #1 target and you might see a much improved Vikings offense.

I don´t expect Treadwell to turn into a true #1 receiver at the pro level. With Peterson getting up there in age and him being by far the best player on their offense the unit will take a step backwards at some point in the near future.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t expect Treadwell to turn into a true #1 receiver at the pro level. With Peterson getting up there in age and him being by far the best player on their offense the unit will take a step backwards at some point in the near future.
Like any rookie, we will definitely have to wait and see about Treadwell.

I agree that AP will start slowing down, but their rushing offense didn't take much of a ding when AP was out for the season. I don't think the Vikings will take a step backwards as AP ages. The rushing offense likely won't change much in terms of production but the key, as I know you're well aware of, will be that teams may not stack the box as much as AP ages which will really test Teddy, their line, and their WRs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that AP will start slowing down, but their rushing offense didn't take much of a ding when AP was out for the season. I don't think the Vikings will take a step backwards as AP ages. The rushing offense likely won't change much in terms of production but the key, as I know you're well aware of, will be that teams may not stack the box as much as AP ages which will really test Teddy, their line, and their WRs.

Well, the Vikings were fourth in rushing yards last season while finishing 14th in 2014. It´s true that Bridgewater will have more responsibility once Peterson´s performance declines and I´m not convinced he will be up to the challenge.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect we'll see a lot of surprises with the mess that is our schedule this year. I don't recall a schedule like this with clumps of home games followed by clumps of road games. Leadership from staff and veterans will be critical this year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Like any rookie, we will definitely have to wait and see about Treadwell.

Well, AP will slow down. Bridgewater won't improve, the Vikings WR's will suck, Treadwell will never work out to anything. And if the Vikings beat the Packers again this year it will be because the Packer are playing poorly once again.

The worst ideas that a Packer fan can have is this. Treadwell works out to be top WR. Patterson finally plays up to his draft position, AP doesn't slow down, Bridgewater takes the next step forward. And the Vikings defense takes another step up.

Members online

Latest posts