STUFF

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few things that I have heard and read outside the info I get here in this forum that I found interesting.

I was talking to my brother last night about the Pack and he shared something he had just read in the last day or two.

Apparantly this guy, sorry I don't know his name, had correctly predicted that ARod would drop all the way to the Pack in '05, AND, two days before this years draft said we would take Harrell.

Not bad I would say.

He also talked about our "0" line and said that offensive linemen see the most improvement BETWEEN THEIR FIRST AND SECOND YEAR and was very positive about how much better these guys would be this year. He said thayt they receive so much information overload their first year in the NFL they can't take all of that in and perform at the level they are capable of playing. Year two is totally different.

I like that.

Maybe some of you had heard something similar to this but I haven't seen anything quite like this posted about a Randy Moss twist I really hadn't thought of before.
His presence would REGRESS Favre from being less of a gambler to gambling more often which fits his twitch. If we're down seven do you think Favre could resist letting that thirty yard bomb go down the sidelines on first down when we're moving the ball? You know. When he drives us all crazy!

Food for thought and contrary to what the staff is looking for out of him this year which is more progressions and checkdowns and a higher completion percentage.

Holding that thought I like the idea of Ruval Martin playing a bigger role and why Jones might have been the pick. Martin is a big guy and a great target if Favre does check down. He certainly won't have a problem finding him.

Jones is the type of player that wins the battle for the ball and would be a reliable check-down type receiver as well with his strength.

Lastly, it seems I am always finding a story about guys on this team that really just wants to make you cry. There's a bunch of guys on this team who have been thru hell and back in their journey here and it just makes me feel like when they are in that huddle, helmet to helmet, and they need something extra to get it done they will do whatever it takes.

There's no lack of high character people on this football team and I think that will help carry the day and they will come thru when it counts. We forget sometimes that these players are people and some of these guys makes my "bad days" look like a day at the beach.

Kind of humbling really. Who am I to be *****in about a player who as a person lived in and out of shelters growing up when I have never more than glanced at one?

It saddens me that some here play the RIGHT/WRONG game so emphatically they actually hope a player, or, even the team for that matter, doesn't do well so THEY CAN BE RIGHT.

Maybe those of you that do this should take a moment when these guys are in that huddle, helmet to helmet, and think about not just what it is is they are getting ready to do but consider all that they have done and been thru to be where they are at that moment.

I mean isn't that something to REALLY cheer about?

Reaction score
Excellent post.

Maybe some of you had heard something similar to this but I haven't seen anything quite like this posted about a Randy Moss twist I really hadn't thought of before.
His presence would REGRESS Favre from being less of a gambler to gambling more often which fits his twitch. If were down seven do you think Favre could resist letting that thirty yard bomb go down the sidelines on first down when we're moving the ball? You know. When he drives us all crazy!

Food for thought and contrary to what the staff is looking for out of him this year which is more progressions and checkdowns and a higher completion percentage.

That is a GREAT point to bring up. McCarthy has emphasized (and the stats show how much importance it has) that the WRs in our system will be counted on to do something after the catch. While logically, Moss would seem to be able to do so, his attitude might prevent him from doing that.

I'd love to see some stats on how good Moss was in YAC. I agree that if the main purpose of getting Moss was to add a deep threat, than the Packers (especially Brett) don't need Moss. It looks great when throwing 30-50 yard TDs works, but it doesn't work too often; another great point warhawk.

At this point, I think Brett playing McCarthy's style of football (working through his reads and checking down, and focusing on short quick completions) is something that will prolong his career.

I'm going to go and see if I can dig up some stats that tell us about Moss's Yards After Catch, and give us a better picture of how well he might have fit in our system. The thing that Jones seems to do (and Moss didn't) is go up and fight for the ball at his highest point. Moss could just get the ball because of his freakish skills, but James Jones does fit in more with we require in WRs in terms of being able to play physical coverage, as you said warhawk.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly, I had never even HEARD of James Jones before TT drafted him, and according to the howls, not many others had either. Yet TT made a big decision to nab him. I've got to believe there was good reason for the pick. TT is too good a talent evaluator to just be throwing a dart here. So I will be watching Jones with a good deal of interest to find out just what TT saw in him. I haven't seen any high-lights on him but the one common denominater of opinions has been..."he will fight for the ball." That in itself sounds fine IF he is good enough to get separation by reading defenses and reacting accordingly. That's where he will succeed or fail. Actually, I don't see that "fight for the ball" all that often. A WR is either open for a catch or not. Can he get off the line or will he get snarled up with a defender? Can he get YAC? Guess we'll be forced to wait for the pre-season to get some answers.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could have seen Moss covered by the French Foreign Legion and Brett would have tried to get him the ball.

We all know he was going there that's for sure.

EVERYBODY knows he would be going there. That's the problem.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrandpa wrote:

Actually, I don't see that "fight for the ball" all that often. A WR is either open for a catch or not. Can he get off the line or will he get snarled up with a defender? Can he get YAC? Guess we'll be forced to wait for the pre-season to get some answers.
[/quote]

Actually the fight for the ball scenario does come up often in those short slant, turnaround routes, and, simple out routes where the DB recovers. That's the big rap with Fergy. In those close quarters plays he won't fight for the ball like he once would.
Good strength also prevents the DB from getting the angle and ball path they want which is where the "DB's seem to bounce off him" description comes from.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think we could have seen Moss covered by the French Foreign Legion and Brett would have tried to get him the ball.

Love your posts and insight, but I don't think we can forget Donald Driver.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

Love your posts and insight, but I don't think we can forget Donald Driver.

I'm not thinking he would have gone away from Driver. My hope was it would open it up for him with Moss there. The crux of this theory is that Brett, at times, would get that wild hair and get careless with "drive killing" throws at the wrong time because he does love to gamble out there.

MY FEAR actually, and I was an advocate of bringing Moss here, was that Driver is the MAN and how was Moss going to handle that?

He seems to be the type that will not be happy if all eyes aren't turned to him and hasn't had his head right since not being the #1 go to guy. He was never going to unseat DD in GB and the question is as time went along would that have meant trouble?

But thats a different problem from how controllable Favre would have been with him in there.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you just know that Brett Favre would PREFER that there be fewer rules, less practice, and, no set plays.

Just go out there and draw it up in the dirt and nothing less than thirty yards. That's how HE WANTS to play and Moss would certainly be fuel for that fire without a doubt.

Members online

Latest posts