Studs none duds all chargers

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually they throttled the Bills 41-9.

And the Bills schedule has been just as easy as the Patsies. They haven't beaten a team with a winning record.

In my opinion, too much is made of strength of schedule and strength of victory. This isn't the NCAAs, where you might be favored by 35 in essentially a tuneup game. Most NFL teams are capable of beating most others on a given day.

So you don't think beating 5 good teams doesn't carry more weight that beating 5 ****** teams? Strenth of victory has always been a good predictor of playoff success.

It also lacks context. SOS will tell you that the 49ers had a quality win against the Panthers, but it won't tell you that they utterly humiliated a quality opponent that day, an opponent who otherwise hasn't lost since September 12th. SOS will tell you that the Packers beating the Chiefs looks like a high quality win, but it won't tell you that they faced Matt Moore and not Patrick Mahomes that day.

So what? Matt Moore has been playing extremely well in the Chiefs offense. A football team is FAR more than its quarterback.

The 49ers are a really good team. I'm not saying we can't win, it'll obviously take a much better effort than what we saw this weekend. But I'm not going to use their schedule to discount them when we've got plenty of folks in our defense who say "we didn't get to 7-2 on accident."

Guess what? The Packers are a really good team too. Don't be fooled by today's blip. Nearly every Super Bowl team has that "blip game" at some point in the season. BTW, the 49ers barely beat a pretty pedestrian Cardinals team.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I drank the Kool-Aid. I had sworn before the season started I wasn't going to get my hopes up unless they showed me something. But it looked like we had a defense, and the 7-1 start (could have been 6-2) looked pretty good, we were trying to run the ball, and Rodgers was talking about a good feel in the locker room. I suppose I bought into it.

Giving up that easy? Wow. BTW, that 7-1 start also could have been 8-0 as much as it could have been 6-2.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you don't think beating 5 good teams doesn't carry more weight that beating 5 ****** teams? Strenth of victory has always been a good predictor of playoff success.

Wrong, trying to predict playoff success with SOS and SOV is almost always a total crapshoot. The Patriots had the highest SOV among the AFC playoff field last year, the Rams the 3rd lowest. The year prior, the Eagles won the Super Bowl having the absolute worst SOV among all NFC playoff teams. Going back yet another year, the Patriots had a weak SOV, the Falcons somewhere in the middle. There's almost zero correlation between SOV and playoff success. There's numerous statistical articles out there that explain the numerous flaws with using SOS as a predictive tool.

Obviously, 5 wins against good teams looks better than 5 wins against weak teams, but when you arbitrarily assign "good" labels to 3-4 win teams that we've beaten and "crappy" labels to 3-4 win teams that the 49ers have beaten, it's pretty meaningless.

SOS and SOV shouldn't be completely ignored but it's widely misused and like anything else really needs context to be useful at all.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stayed up late to watch that garbage, very disappointing performance. i think, at most, a handful of players can say they did their best. but we can't play great every game, LA played well so we have to give them some credit for not allowing us to play.

going into our bye week, we're either going to be 8-2/7-3, at the start of the season i reckon most of us would have taken that easily.

we may have gotten our own hopes up a bit after a 7-1 start that most of us probably didn't expect, especially after beating the bears away, and even the vikes at lambeau. next 4 up are the panthers, 49'rs, giants and skins. i think we probably break 500 on those so go into our last three div games at 9-4. i think we'll win 2 of those finishing 11-5, which after the last couple of seasons, and having a lot of new coaching staff is a good first season

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stayed up late to watch that garbage, very disappointing performance. i think, at most, a handful of players can say they did their best. but we can't play great every game, LA played well so we have to give them some credit for not allowing us to play.

going into our bye week, we're either going to be 8-2/7-3, at the start of the season i reckon most of us would have taken that easily.

we may have gotten our own hopes up a bit after a 7-1 start that most of us probably didn't expect, especially after beating the bears away, and even the vikes at lambeau. next 4 up are the panthers, 49'rs, giants and skins. i think we probably break 500 on those so go into our last three div games at 9-4. i think we'll win 2 of those finishing 11-5, which after the last couple of seasons, and having a lot of new coaching staff is a good first season

That's some pretty good perspective. I don't think this is a Super Bowl caliber team yet, but I doubt anyone really expected that this year.

The division title is well within reach and it would be nice to take that back again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for as bad as the defense was, the offense was much, much worse. I'm not sure there are really any conclusions to draw from the game other than they were not ready to play and didn't show up as any sort of team, at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Duds: all the posters who haven't been here since the Eagles game.

I think we should all buy those posters a few of these, a Curmudgeon Ale or 2 might help with their saltiness!

We can change the weekly thread name to Studs, Duds and Suds for their benefit to join in after any loss.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Complete disaster. Coaching staff needs to completely close the book on that chapter and move forward. Let’s get the Panthers this week and move forward. The penalties were awful. Just get that mess fixed and we’ll be okay going forward.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking, its funny that this is the first game of the second half of the season, since it looked more like how I anticipated week 1 would be. Im just hoping it was an anomaly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit that was the first Packers game I shut the game off, and the reason wasn't to go try and kill a deer in the fall...but just to go do anything. Granted there was only like 4 minutes left but still shaking my head at the fact I made it that long without screaming and waking our 2 month old sleeping beside me.

I expected a bad game...I was hoping the Eagles game was it, but honestly that game wasn't nearly as bad. Our players got out played, our coaches got out coached...just everything that could be put in a vs. category they clobbered us.

Perspective games happen to almost every team...in many ways if the Patriots go on to win the SB that Ravens loss will be theirs. We either lean into this adversity and autrocity of a game or we are infected by it and fold. I'll be there cheering either way, but I do feel this game will be the beginning of one or the other, floating in the middle I do not believe will be possible.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Complete disaster. Coaching staff needs to completely close the book on that chapter and move forward. Let’s get the Panthers this week and move forward. The penalties were awful. Just get that mess fixed and we’ll be okay going forward.
That's some nice forward thinking. :coffee:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This site seems to be popular when the Packs lose. Wow! All of a sudden this team is supposedly the worse team in the NFL according to some of you. HAH!

anyway...yes this team played like sh80-89t! Yes they lost playing like sho808t! Even if they would have won this game they still played like sh080e8!

Onto the next game!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Chargers were a desperate football team that badly needed a victory. They fired their offensive coordinator, and came in the hungrier team. I don't think that Anthony Lynn was necessarily fighting for his job, but his team has under performed all year. They are loaded with talent.

I don't think the takeaway should be that the Packers aren't as good as we thought they were, I think the takeaway should be that as a whole, the Packers played very lackadaisically, and very comfortably. There was zero sense of urgency. There was no energy. Nothing of the sort.

This was very akin to the Eagles game. They came in desperate as hell on a short week knowing they had to have a win. The Packers didn't match their intensity level, and it showed by the final score.

The two losses have been to desperate and hungry football teams, and the Packers sort of got caught slipping both times. If anything, that alarms me. Because if the Packers hope to contend for a 1st round bye or even home field advantage in the playoffs, you have to be able to match intensity levels with teams like this.

I'm not overly concerned about the team moving forward as others seem to be. But it was disappointing nevertheless to see the majority of the players take an afternoon off, which in my opinion is exactly what happened.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers were a desperate football team that badly needed a victory. They fired their offensive coordinator, and came in the hungrier team. I don't think that Anthony Lynn was necessarily fighting for his job, but his team has under performed all year. They are loaded with talent.

I don't think the takeaway should be that the Packers aren't as good as we thought they were, I think the takeaway should be that as a whole, the Packers played very lackadaisically, and very comfortably. There was zero sense of urgency. There was no energy. Nothing of the sort.

This was very akin to the Eagles game. They came in desperate as hell on a short week knowing they had to have a win. The Packers didn't match their intensity level, and it showed by the final score.

The two losses have been to desperate and hungry football teams, and the Packers sort of got caught slipping both times. If anything, that alarms me. Because if the Packers hope to contend for a 1st round bye or even home field advantage in the playoffs, you have to be able to match intensity levels with teams like this.

I'm not overly concerned about the team moving forward as others seem to be. But it was disappointing nevertheless to see the majority of the players take an afternoon off, which in my opinion is exactly what happened.
I agree to a point, but what does concern me, after getting knocked around early, they didn't ever seem to wake up. a few guys here and there, one decent drive later in the game, but overall, they didn't get it together, they just kept sleepwalking as a team.

I didn't like to see that.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this game proved to me that we are overrated. we looked like a bunch of amateurs. our secondary is the ***** and our run defense is the *****. stats don't lie
Every team has heir strengths & weaknesses. Their good days and their bad days. This one was just a team laying an egg. Most teams traveling to West coast lose. Weird but true. Doesn’t work inversely though. GB is still a good team on the whole, with a lot left to work on, like many others.

LaFleur probably learned a lesson too. Hopefully more than just one.

As Rodgers said, “a slice of humble pie.” Might be the perfect item on the menu for the Packers at this time.

A loss like that could prove one of the best things to happen to the Packers this season, depending on message getting home and how/if they respond accordingly.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup, there seemed to be no urgency with this team at all. Even in that final drive by the offense, guys were slow to line up, Rodgers took WAY too long to get the ball snapped and even had they scored and been only 7 or 8 points down, they would have left themselves little time.

On the same note, this seems to be a theme all season long with Rodgers and the offense. Way too many delay of games or timeouts taken to avoid the penalty. WTF is going on out there? Rodgers isn't a rookie QB, he needs to manage that play clock better and stop winding it down to 0! 2 weeks in a row where I heard announcers say "Rodgers isn't used to this stadium and where the play clocks are located"......WTF are day before walk through's and pregame for? Find those clocks #12!

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

J. Williams
Crosby

Duds:
everybody else.

Several times I asked myself "Are they trying to throw this game? Is this a Vegas thing?" How can you have so many pre-snap penalties in small stadium with a fairly friendly crowd?

Mental errors are bad enough. The apparent lack of effort is worse. For most of the game it looked like they didn't care if they won or lost. Sleepwalking is about right. Or massively hung over. Whatever the cause, it's utterly unacceptable for professionals to come out so flat -- and stay flat the whole game. Very, very disappointing. That's on the players, mostly.

The coaching staff bears a lot of blame, too. The offensive game plan looked completely nonsensical. Where was the misdirection, the motion, the quick release? Instead, it was the bad old days of 2018 all over again: Rodgers drops back and waits for somebody, anybody to get open. Forty yard pass attempts on third and 8 when you just need to move the chains? The Chargers were very effective in getting 9 or 12 or 6 yards when that was what they needed. Rodgers was throwing for 4 or 40 when he needed 8.

That was one of the least fun, least interesting, least involving games I've ever seen.

Very lucky that everybody else in the division lost.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
On the same note, this seems to be a theme all season long with Rodgers and the offense. Way too many delay of games or timeouts taken to avoid the penalty. WTF is going on out there? Rodgers isn't a rookie QB, he needs to manage that play clock better and stop winding it down to 0! 2 weeks in a row where I heard announcers say "Rodgers isn't used to this stadium and where the play clocks are located"......WTF are day before walk through's and pregame for? Find those clocks #12!
This is my biggest criticism of Rodgers in recent years. It seems like every single game we have to burn at least two out of six timeouts because Rodgers has to avoid the penalty. Or in a lot of cases, we get penalized.

I've never understood why Rodgers is so loosie goosy with the play clock especially in 2nd halves when timeouts are ultra important. Huge flaw of his.

Reaction score
Everyone tends to over react, my self included. For some reason today I found my self accepting of the loss. I agree that this loss is a learning lesson. A lesson that should not be forgotten,,EVER!!!!

I am glad that I am not on the plane that is taking the team back to GB, very somber.

in the end it is what it is, a complete and utter failure. The speak of family in all the press clippings, you do not let your fellow family members down.

Now we will hear all the pundits claim that there is chaos between AR and MLF. I think that is the complete opposite,, this loss will be a galvanizing moment.

sua sponte
We took our licks against a team led by a QB who has more passing yards than all but 5 QBs in the history of the NFL.
Brees, Brady, Manning, Favre and Marino (Rivers will likely pass Marino if he plays 1 more season) to rank #5 All-Time. The Chargers Defense has only given up 18.7 pts/GM in 9 contests. That’s a pretty good number 9 games in.
We now know per Rodgers that the team got there early and enjoyed themselves. Let’s cut the chase they were hungover.
We’re good, but not good enough to overcome poor mental preparation (or maybe none whatsoever).

I’m not sure what the philosophy is in routinely running a Defense with a 5-1-5 or a 4-2-5 but it’s getting old fast. That’s the type of alignment you would use up 3 scores in the 4th quarter and trying to churn the clock. Definitely not down by 2-3 scores.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The defense did what they needed to do against a good offense. They held them to FGs the whole first half, which should have given the offense the opportunity to execute. Rodgers wasn't looking for anyone but 17 for 3 quarters of football.
What part of the defense? The Charger rushed for over 140yds, the snacks gave up to many big pass plays, the D line could not stop the run, if it weren’t for Charger errors in the run zone it would have been a blow out..

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've never understood why Rodgers is so loosie goosy with the play clock especially in 2nd halves when timeouts are ultra important. Huge flaw of his.

My observations, it is a number of things that lead up to it. First is just huddling up. Guys are slow at getting to the huddle, 2nd breaking the huddle often seems late and this is where Rodgers doesn't see to compensate and get the ball snapped in time. The final reason, #12 loves to audible, go through a lot of reads, as well as try and pull the defense off sides with his hard counts, which is fine, but not when it pulls your own guys off the LOS early or you end up with a delay of game.

Short of the 2 minute drills, it appears that the Packers have pretty much abandoned the hurry up offense. Guessing MLF doesn't like it, but I would sure love to see it back again, maybe to open the game against Carolina? I think that the fast paced style favors a QB like Rodgers and prevents the defense from substituting.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts