greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

J. Williams
Crosby

Duds:
everybody else.

Several times I asked myself "Are they trying to throw this game? Is this a Vegas thing?" How can you have so many pre-snap penalties in small stadium with a fairly friendly crowd?

Mental errors are bad enough. The apparent lack of effort is worse. For most of the game it looked like they didn't care if they won or lost. Sleepwalking is about right. Or massively hung over. Whatever the cause, it's utterly unacceptable for professionals to come out so flat -- and stay flat the whole game. Very, very disappointing. That's on the players, mostly.

The coaching staff bears a lot of blame, too. The offensive game plan looked completely nonsensical. Where was the misdirection, the motion, the quick release? Instead, it was the bad old days of 2018 all over again: Rodgers drops back and waits for somebody, anybody to get open. Forty yard pass attempts on third and 8 when you just need to move the chains? The Chargers were very effective in getting 9 or 12 or 6 yards when that was what they needed. Rodgers was throwing for 4 or 40 when he needed 8.

That was one of the least fun, least interesting, least involving games I've ever seen.

Very lucky that everybody else in the division lost.
I couldn't agree more. It was a **** show. Epic. I think LaFleur may need to rein in some of what Rodgers is doing, if that's what Rodgers is going to do. The only way you win battles against hungry, proven QBs/potent offenses like that (NO, LAC, NE...) is to keep that opposing offense sitting on their own sideline with a power running game. Keep the clock moving, and your opponent standing across the way watching.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder who checked out of the run? I mean, only 11 attempts is abysmal. No wonder Rodgers had all that heat on him, and his receivers were no where to be found. We didn't even threat to run. If that was LaFleur's gameplan, he needs to can that. Man, that was bad. If it wasn't, then he needs to hold Rodgers more accountable.

And, when the hell will they wake up on defense and realize we have a gigantic hole in the middle of our D? PUT SOMEBODY ELSE IN THERE, Coach Pettine. What? Are things going to get worse? Give Ty Summers a chance. - It is ONLY Week 10, and we are STILL left with these questions??? The fans can see it plain as day, and have been through most of the season...???

Epic fail. They have a lot to fix: Offense, Defense and Special Teams, along with coaching/game planning.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My observations, it is a number of things that lead up to it. First is just huddling up. Guys are slow at getting to the huddle, 2nd breaking the huddle often seems late and this is where Rodgers doesn't see to compensate and get the ball snapped in time. The final reason, #12 loves to audible, go through a lot of reads, as well as try and pull the defense off sides with his hard counts, which is fine, but not when it pulls your own guys off the LOS early or you end up with a delay of game.

Short of the 2 minute drills, it appears that the Packers have pretty much abandoned the hurry up offense. Guessing MLF doesn't like it, but I would sure love to see it back again, maybe to open the game against Carolina? I think that the fast paced style favors a QB like Rodgers and prevents the defense from substituting.
Really surprised they didn't come out running 2 min offense to start the 2nd half.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Both times we've lost:

- Rodgers needs to be reigned in
- LaFleur can't control Rodgers
- Does LaFleur really have control of the team?
- I told you this team wasn't that good

Did I miss any?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? I never noticed other teams' offenses screw around with the play clock like we do.
it was just a week or 2 ago, was watching and I can't even remember the teams. I mentioned it in the shoutbox, but heck if i'm reading back thru that. Good teams battling it out, KC Indy maybe? 49er's Cards? anyway it was some decent teams and they were out of timeouts halfway thru the 3rd quarter, the last 2 being burned because of time running down on play clock. I know the Cards wasted their last time out on a ridiculous challenge taking away all their TO's trying to comeback late in the game down by 3. Turns out they couldn't get a first down anyway, so the TO ended up not really mattering.

But these things happen to teams every week. I notice it quite a bit actually.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But these things happen to teams every week. I notice it quite a bit actually.

Then its time for Rodgers and the Packers to separate themselves from those teams and manage the play clock better. ;)

Not to be a smarta$$ about it, but just because other teams are doing it, isn't an excuse for it to happen consistently to your own team.

Sure it happens, but with #12, its been something that happens too often IMO. The Chargers game was a perfect example of what happens when you take that play clock too close to zero...
  • burn timeouts needlessly
  • take delay of game penalties
  • create false starts from your own players
  • give the rushers an advantage, who will be releasing right when that clock hits 0

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Then its time for Rodgers and the Packers to separate themselves from those teams and manage the play clock better. ;)

Not to be a smarta$$ about it, but just because other teams are doing it, isn't an excuse for it to happen consistently to your own team.

Sure it happens, but with #12, its been something that happens too often IMO. The Chargers game was a perfect example of what happens when you take that play clock too close to zero...
  • give the rushers an advantage, who will be releasing right when that clock hits 0
Agree with all of this except the part about the false start penalties. Those can only be attributed to the line. Very simple, game to game cadences were screwed up.

So uncharacteristic of those guys.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it once, I'll say it again. Blake Martinez is awful yet he leads the league in tackles. Anybody that thinks stats tell the whole story is nuts. We watch this guy get beaten badly every week and also watch the rest of the defense collectively suck. They are right back where they started. Almost unwatchable. The rest of the league has seen this D enough to exploit it to the max. Christian McCaffrey could have 300 yards from scrimmage. What the offense does is becoming les and less relevant.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

it's not an excuse, it's to point out that it's not unique.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both times we've lost:

- Rodgers needs to be reigned in
- LaFleur can't control Rodgers
- Does LaFleur really have control of the team?
- I told you this team wasn't that good

Did I miss any?
FYI, my own comments on some of those issues stem from years past, watching the Green Bay Packers not commit to a running game, and being unable to cover the middle of the field on defense. I merely put the question forth, not saying what the cause of the problem was, but there is a problem there, and it isn't wrong to acknowledge that.

I'm not insinuating our team isn't good, but, I don't think it is wrong to question some of what took us down on Sunday, do you?

Those problems, namely our failure to stick to a run game, and for our D to shut down the middle of the field, have been prevalent for years, and here they are rearing their ugly heads again.

We will find out how good this team truly is after the CAR game. if they bounce back, that would move them back up a bit on the "good" scale, and if not, they will probably sink further away from that.

I know exactly what you are alluding to, and I don't happen to think the sky is falling at all. This team has proved itself in many ways, but there is more to prove. That was plain to see against LAC and PHI. Both losses saw our opponents far more prepared to take the field of play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it's not an excuse, it's to point out that it's not unique.

Definitely not unique, but definitely avoidable or at least if I am MLF, something I work on to reduce. I don't watch a ton of games and maybe my memory is biased, but even at the college level, I do not see a team consistently have this issue like #12 and the Packers have had.

Frankly, in many cases, I would rather see the Packers not burn valuable timeouts, just to save 5 yards, unless of course it is at a critical point of the game and its 3rd/4th and short.

Maybe Captain has some stats on this? :D

Reaction score
I think its as simple as we tried making Adams the focal point of the offense and pretended like Aaron Jones didn't exist. Jones has to get going through screens or runs FIRST. Then you can start looking for Adams. If we do it the other way we are screwed. Adams should not be the focal point. Jones/Williams should be. Period.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just to put some perspective on my point of the Packers and the delay of game penalty issue.

They currently lead the league with 7 DOG penalties, the Jets are second with 5 and 4 teams have 0.

Last season the Packers led the league in DOG Penalties with 7.

2017 With Hundley mainly behind center, they were middle of the pack with 4.

2016: 4th in league with 7

So yes, I would say its a problem that needs to be addressed with Rodgers and the offense.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?sort=dg

Last edited:
Reaction score
The next dud is Gute... we don't have the horses at WR that would allow for quick short throws to again limit the pass rush. He attempted to bolster the WR corps by signing Ryan Grant who I have yet to see make any difference.
How do you make that conclusion when he’s not on the active gameday roster?

Reaction score
Just to put some perspective on my point of the Packers and the delay of game penalty issue.

They currently lead the league with 7 DOG penalties, the Jets are second with 5 and 4 teams have 0.

Last season the Packers led the league in DOG Penalties with 7.

2017 With Hundley mainly behind center, they were middle of the pack with 4.

2016: 4th in league with 7

So yes, I would say its a problem that needs to be addressed with Rodgers and the offense.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.htm
Boy that’s an eye opener. Possibly the result of the new Offense this season? I seem to remember a couple out of the gate. I also wonder if any of those DOG were us eating the clock in garbage time. Just a thought.
They should definitely be reviewing each one in any case.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant has been with the team what? 2 weeks? Where was he before? I know he was with the Raiders at the beginning of the season but was cut pretty quickly after it started and I don't think he was on any team. He's going to take some time to get up to speed not only with our offense, but in football shape again. I remember the first 2 weeks after Breeland was activated for us after being out for quite a while and he looked pretty bad and that was with practicing with the team. Everyone was all over him and after a few weeks he was practically our biggest playmaker on defense.

This stuff isn't just plug and play and Ryan Grant isn't some super star. If he's going to be anything for us at all, it's going to take a couple weeks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Boy that’s an eye opener. Possibly the result of the new Offense this season? I seem to remember a couple out of the gate. I also wonder if any of those DOG were us eating the clock in garbage time. Just a thought.
They should definitely be reviewing each one in any case.

This isn't a new trend, that was my point of listing previous seasons ;) Maybe they are higher this year due to the new offense, but still something that needs to get cleaned up IMO. I do remember the Packers trying to take a DOG penalty during punt formation, but it was declined, so that would not be included. No reason to take one when running out the clock to end the game, go to line of scrimmage in Victory formation, snap ball at 1 sec on game clock.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it once, I'll say it again. Blake Martinez is awful yet he leads the league in tackles. Anybody that thinks stats tell the whole story is nuts. We watch this guy get beaten badly every week and also watch the rest of the defense collectively suck. They are right back where they started. Almost unwatchable. The rest of the league has seen this D enough to exploit it to the max. Christian McCaffrey could have 300 yards from scrimmage. What the offense does is becoming les and less relevant.

But how many of those tackles are near or behind the LOS? ILB is a huge need and must be addressed along with WR in the next draft/FA.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense held a good team to field goals on 4 red zone trips. If the offense anything close to its capabilities, nobody is *****ing about them. BTW, this isn't the 1990 NFL. This is the 2019 NFL. "Bend but don't break" is the best any team can hope for against a competent opponent. The rules are so skewed in favor of the offense that the days of shutdown defense are over except against the very worst teams, like the ones the Patriots played in 7 of their first 8 games.

Packers defensive ranks over the last six games:

* Yards per play (31st)
* Explosive completions allowed (30th)
* Third-down defense (30th)

"The best any team can hope for" :rolleyes:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those numbers carry meaning... I'm just hopeful they can be corrected. Nice test to see how everyone responds. Our weaknesses on D are glaring, and I'm pretty sure we expected more. Didn't think I'd see a regression at ILB, but, what do you do? Possible change in personnel, give other players a whirl. Tony Brown was exceptional prior to his injury. I don't think we are far off, unless our staff and players struggle to correct. I think they will be pretty motivated, top to bottom. This seems a far more critical game for us that I originally thought v. CAR.

H

HardRightEdge

Worse things can happen than this game. For instance, New Orleans ******** the pooch at home against Atlanta today.

Members online

Latest posts