Studs n duds Oakland

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Rodgers - get the belt out. woooo! this is an amazing talent throwing dimes all over the place.

Bulaga - super blocking today and he is at a pro bowl level

Jenkins - making nice progress on his zbs reads

entire rcving corps - making strides and plays and are improving now as adams may b back in a week or two

Vitale - love to see this being utilized...he could be a weapon if mlf continues to call his humber

Duds:

Blake Martinez - what is going on with him not attacking his reads, and being instinctive? he missed tackles and couldnt cover a lineman if he was pass eligible

Redmond - playing zone and not covering and possibly understanding what and where his responsibilities are

Pettine - booooooo!!! zone defense HELL NOOOO - didnt work in the past and it doesnt work now and we dont have the experience to make it work. play man and take your chances with over the top help.

Menninga - need i even say? our punt return schemes are rotten...scott and crosby are nails though and thats not him.

All in all, it was the offense that shined in this one and I do not for the life of me understand a sudden affinity for playing zone which will stop nothing. At this pt to have the record this team has and seeing the units puke one week and shine another is baffling. Growing pains and hopefully more balance going forward.

Reaction score
missing Savage....really shows up in the middle.
I was just going to say similar. It’s looking more n more like we need 2 things on D, Savage back and a strong coverage LB. We probably need to save that IR return designation for Raven.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: Rodgers and the entire offense especially the O-line.

Duds: Both team’s defense. Both secondaries looked completely lost for most of the day.

neither team could generate any pressure on the QB’s. Can’t do that in the NFL.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An elite QB will absolutely exploit that too. We are 6-1. But I'm not feeling confident in this defense.

Matt Moore, Phillip Rivers, Kyle Allen, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, whoever the Redskins trot out, Mitchell Trubisky, Kurt Cousins, and Stafford are the QBs remaining in the regular season. Not a scary group.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF still has a ways to go to unlocking Rodgers full potential. Brady said Rodgers should be throwing for 700 yards per game.

Reaction score
MLF still has a ways to go to unlocking Rodgers full potential. Brady said Rodgers should be throwing for 700 yards per game.
Did you mean this? Or is there some new, recent interview?
He’s being nice, but if Rodgers would’ve had a top 10 D the same % as Brady, Aaron would have 3-4 SB rings IMO and Brady would have 1-2 less. Brady is one heck of a passer also. He’s a good guy.
https://www.boston.com/sports/new-e.../02/tom-brady-aaron-rodgers-better-comparison

Stud: incredible day today for Aaron. Just incredible considering. Anyone who says #12 wouldn’t improve a receivers game is deceiving themselves. They just got another heavy dose of proof.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Studs:
  • Rodgers: Obvious.
  • Jones: They gave him another chance to make the play on the corner wheel, and he pulled it off. He also had a nice screen called back on a phantom OPI. He was good in pass pro and made a killer block on MVS' long catch and run.
  • Vitale: This offense needs run personnel who can make plays in the passing game.
  • Allison: I take it back-- he was good today.
  • MVS: His speed is such a critical element of the offense.
  • OL: Great game as a unit.
  • Preston Smith: The pass rush a whole was off, but Smith was still creating pressure.
Duds:
  • Redmond: I feel bad saying this, because he really shouldn't be playing so much, but he was picked on.
  • Goodson: Martinez's inability to actually be a MIKE forces Goodson on the field, and Goodson on the field means pass plays in the middle.
  • Martinez: Lots of tackles, none behind the LOS, liability in coverage, inability to be the key run defender forces Goodson on the field. DL kept him clean and he still whiffed at times. When DL didn't keep him clean, he was helpless.
For those who have been asking, I would guess one reason for a lot of zone coverage calls from Pettine is that a lot of his current personnel can't hold up in man.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Moore, Phillip Rivers, Kyle Allen, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, whoever the Redskins trot out, Mitchell Trubisky, Kurt Cousins, and Stafford are the QBs remaining in the regular season. Not a scary group.

Well, here's how I think it stacks up

I feel confident about the KC game. Mostly because if you put Rodgers head to head against Matt Moore in a shootout, which could happen, I'd say Rodgers wins. I don't think we overlook these guys.

The Chargers .... THIS ... I believe will be in fact the trap game we gotta watch out for. Now I've said I think the Chargers do have to move on from Rivers once this season is over. But when he's played us, he's put up some damn good numbers. I just get this feeling the way he and his team have been losing close games and the way things have been piling up that his offense might put together one of those games mirroring what the Bucs did to the Rams. They're one of those bad teams that has talent that could put together that one good game in a season where the offense hits a jackpot.

I think yes, we will crush the Panthers. They got lucky and got us when Tom Clements was calling plays in 2015, and then got an only half recovered Rodgers in 2017. I believe Davante comes back for this one and they get Aaron Godgers on a tear like he was today. I did see the article about them possibly trading Cam before the deadline, but man I really wish they'd put him back in for this one because I was so looking forward to seeing the Smith bros spike the football on his head.

As for Jimmy Garropolo, well I wouldn't underestimate these guys. They have probably the league's toughest defense, and probably the best we're going to face this year. He's efficient enough that we'll have our work cut out in this game.

Probably the toughest remaining game after SF will be the one in Minny. Now we all know what happens to Cousins in big games which is why he is guaranteed to never win a Superbowl. But we also gotta hope that Rodgers finally has his luck turned around in this stadium because thus far he has not done well here.

And Stafford ... Well, considering it's the last game of the season and no telling what our playoff scenario will be I don't even know how that game will be approached. Could be if Detroit is out and we're in that many of our starters won't see the field much.

All the rest of those QBs though, yeah I'd say they're fair game.

Dayooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We did a good job of not playing down to the level of the low hanging fruit as far as scoring is concerned but we were getting beat all day in the defensive back field and on the line both side of the ball.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the problems we saw were mostly from linebacker and Redmond. I'm not going to implicate everyone and everything because I don't think that was the case at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much easy STUDS this week and all have covered it.

DUD - Martinez...I'm a fan of his, just not of his play right now. I am beginning to question whether healthy...even for him at times he was hesitating far more than normal.

I'm not giving him a "stud" and he's having a bad season overall, but I really admire Allison making a catch over the middle and taking a shot one week after that nasty hit. That takes serious guts.

I think GMo is internalizing a lot of the criticism sent Green Bay's way for their "lack of wideouts" with Adams gone. I truly think for the first bit of the year GMo was trying to hard...then with Adams down he pressed even harder. I don't know what was said or if it was Lazard stepping up last week...but this unit just seemed to have confidence upon the ball leaving Rodgers hand more. Geronimo more than any I've always said has hesitant hands on a catch at times, kinda like James Jones did early in his career. So happy to see GMo finding his groove hopefully. The dude is still so young, and just needs to do his thing.

Duds:
  • Redmond: I feel bad saying this, because he really shouldn't be playing so much, but he was picked on.
You are correct, but I'll say this much Redmond has shown some true grit in his elevated playing time...this year is a growth year for him and sadly at times it has come at immense frustration watching...however he has shown at times more than capable and I only head into Raven and Darnell coming back with even more hope knowing Redmond has seen all this time and we are winning still.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
MVS: His speed is such a critical element of the offense.
Yet on his TD catch and run, Lazard was catching up to him. So unless his injury sapped a tiny bit of speed or he throttled back...
But when he's played us, he's put up some damn good numbers.
But playing from behind will do that. He's 0-3 VS GB. 2007 Favre (4th qtr comeback for Brett) and 2011 Rodgers (2 pick sixes early)made any wins tough.
http://pfref.com/tiny/BmXYO

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
First time the Packers have scored 40+ points in regulation since 2014. I don't care who the opponent was, that's impressive.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevor Davis, is a top tier returner.

Yes, we need a better returner, but the idea that Davis was/is a "top tier" returner has been debunked pretty well. He's average at best. The problem is that he used to cherry-pick his returns. His return average was high, but his yards per opportunity was very low. He'd usually refuses to return the ball unless he had a 10 yard cushion and even then he would often call for fair catches. He would also let the ball fly over his head while standing on the 15 yard line. So basically he left a ton of yards on the field as a returner.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yet on his TD catch and run, Lazard was catching up to him. So unless his injury sapped a tiny bit of speed or he throttled back...
But playing from behind will do that. He's 0-3 VS GB. 2007 Favre (4th qtr comeback for Brett) and 2011 Rodgers (2 pick sixes early)made any wins tough.
http://pfref.com/tiny/BmXYO

He's averaging 20 yards a catch. I'm not really worried about an anecdote where Lazard may have been gaining on him.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time the Packers have scored 40+ points in regulation since 2014. I don't care who the opponent was, that's impressive.
Rodgers was clearly having a blast for the first time in a long time. I'm thinking he's loving this offense and it will only get better as they continue to roll out new pieces.

Talking heads in 2018: "Nobody runs this offense like Goff."

Rodgers in 2019: "HMB"

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Aaron Rodgers, duh

Jimmy Graham

Receiving corps in general.

Red zone defense

Matt Lafleur/Nathaniel Hackett

Duds:

Run defense

Defense in general

On to KC. Go Pack Go.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Rodgers and the entire offense especially the O-line.

Duds: Both team’s defense. Both secondaries looked completely lost for most of the day.

Welcome to the NFL, where the rules force DBs to play with one hand behind their backs and PI is now reviewable.

neither team could generate any pressure on the QB’s. Can’t do that in the NFL.

Both teams have an outstanding OL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rodgers was clearly having a blast for the first time in a long time. I'm thinking he's loving this offense and it will only get better as they continue to roll out new pieces.

Talking heads in 2018: "Nobody runs this offense like Goff."

Rodgers in 2019: "HMB"

This probably sounds like a correction, and I really don't mean it that way, but I think Petals is more Shanahan than McVay. And I am ok with that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: incredible day today for Aaron. Just incredible considering. Anyone who says #12 wouldn’t improve a receivers game is deceiving themselves. They just got another heavy dose of proof.
Rodgers played extemely well. He hasn't performed at this level for a full game in several years. Of course well thrown balls make a WRs job easier, so he makes them look better. Likewise, his poor passing over the first games made them look bad. Yes, they dropped a bunch that should have been caught
There were plenty though that were caught ànd were poor throws as well.

I don't think this game was an abberattion. I think the offense will be more effective going forward. I think AR is finally comfortable with the offense and his WRs. I think the big turning point was Lazard against the Lions. Coming up big and expressing confidence in himself was a moment for Rodgers. He definitely started slinging it àgain with great results.

My point is, we didn't need to add WRs to this team as many suggested to have an effective passing game.

I think it was more of a matter of not running faster than he needed to.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m liking this new and improved AR. Instead of going for it all, he`s considering over the middle passes.

Members online

Latest posts