1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stealers are AFC: So what?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Forget Favre, Feb 5, 2011.

1. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

SteelIsStrongerThanCheese Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +3
    Not really. The conferences tend to shift in decade long swoons. Since the merger, the AFC ruled the 70's and 00's. In the 70's the Dolphins, Steelers, and Oakland all won 2 or more Superbowls during that era. During the 70's Dallas was the only one to pull two out during that era.

The NFC pretty much went on a 20 year dominance period during the 80's to mid 90's. In fact, I believe it was the Packers that were the last team of that long streak, before Denver finally broke it. Until it's 5-5 in a decade, then we can talk about conference parity.

2. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    To each his own. Who cares.

3. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

Ratings:
    +3
    A team with a legit shot at team of the decade status, thats who...

4. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Here's a brat. Congrats.

5. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the braut. I'll feed it to my dog.

6. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149
    If I must remind you it's a whole new decade, this isn't the 00s anymore it's the 10s

7. Preacher

Preacher Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    There. Fixed it for ya Snowplow.

BTW, get back to us when it is 4-6 and two back two backs, without cameras, then I'll be impressed.

8. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

Ratings:
    +3
    For everyone but the Steelers. 3 Superbowls in 6 years would stamp us as the best NFL team in the later half of the decade. The Patriots would claim the first half.. And if the Steelers can win more in the 00's then who knows we might be going for the team of 2 decades.

9. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +643

• Like Like x 2
  10. Preacher

Preacher Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Stats prove what has happened in past-and, if everything is exactly the same, steelers have a 70 percent chance to win.

However, things are NEVER exactly the same. as I have said before, tomorrow, the Steelers have a 50/50 chance of winning, as do the Packers

11. BoilerUp

BoilerUp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    I must not have noticed that the NFL came up with a trophy that is given out if you win x amount of super bowls in x amount of years.

12. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149

13. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    Zeck, what's wrong with you diude?

Why are you trying to make sense.

Geeeeesh.

14. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    Is there any length you won't go to trying to make the Steelers appear better than any other franchise?

How bout this one........it's real simple to understand.

Win more than 12 championships.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    I think the Pats have the 00s sewn up. Ya all can try for this coming one though.

16. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    And when ya all do tha without 'roids, let everyone know.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Preacher

Preacher Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    I understand the 12 championship argument. We have the same arguments with the Browns' fans.

Problem is, I think everyone loses sight of exactly what those championships are, and what they equate to in the NFL. The NFL of those championships is the NFC today, AFL the AFC. As a result, those championships, IMO, are the equivalent of winning 14 NFCCG's and taking the conference title.

Actually, when you add your two NFC championships, I would say that you have 14 championships. That is quite a feat.

The Steelers, have 8 championships right now. That is, we have been the champions of the AFC (old American Football League) 8 times.

There is a reason, however, why the NFL begins its count with SB 1. It is even in the NFL Record and Fact book on NFL.com

Notice also, when the SB first came about, it was distinguished from the AFL and NFL championships- as it was called the "World Championship Game".

It is for that reason, that the Superbowl era is quite distinct from before, and the league championships won before are not the equivalent of the "world championships" or later named the Superbowl.

For that reason, I think when they list stats, what they should list, is BOTH championships, AND SB wins. Such as, GB: 14 Championships, 2 Superbowls. Steelers: 8 Championships, 6 Superbowls.

That way, both history and the leagues (conferences) are represented and honored, but the honesty of winning in a 28 team league and a second championship game beyond the league championship-to a world championship is also displayed.

I don't discount what the Packers did. It is part of what has built the league today, and continues to drive what the Packers are. There is no way to discount that. I also think however, there needs to be a recognition that there IS a distinction between Superbowls and championships.

It is not like the NHL, which has always been the same league, and has just grown in size.

18. Preacher

Preacher Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    ROTFL.

Please. one player accuses the Steelers--- an embittered player cut by that very team. Furthermore, he only played on 2 of the teams early in his career. Beyond all of that, HE started roids when he was in college, according to his own words, and low and behold, made quite a career for himself speaking out about steroids.

2 other points to make about it. 1. Bradshaw admits to using HGH to heal. Thing is, HGH does not increase strength. 2. Neither HGH, nor steriods WERE ILLEGAL AT THE TIME.

TAPING SIGNALS WAS ILLEGAL

You are comparing that to the NFL catching the Pats* red-handed with tapes?

19. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    Red-handed doing what? Improperly placed cameras? Really? OMG! Well, the Steelers were caught red-handed when their team doctor was nailed buying 150,000 dollars worth of HGH 2 years ago...

You're so smart - tell me why the league sent out a letter to all 32 teams telling them to stop, if it was only the Pats?

Bottom line - The Pats Super Bowls are legit, no matter how much you yell "Cheaters!".

Suck on it. :happy0005:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149
    At lest with the Pats Super Bowls, they didn't have the refs to favor them.

• Like Like x 2
  21. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    There is that. :happy0005:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Preacher

Preacher Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Sigh.

I guess that 500,000 dollar fine and loss of 1st round draft pick was for a mis-placed camera.:Heristical:

23. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +678
    Well, then tell us what it was for. And please back it up with links - ProFootballTalk gossip section doesn't count.

• Like Like x 2
  24. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    Why yes. Yes it was. You know why? Goodell was pissed that BB didn't listen to him.

Even the league stated that there was no competitive advantage. It was because the Commish was wanting to establish who was in charge. Period.

Funny, Denver taped other team's practices and got away with no punishment - at all. The Jets hold illegal off-season practices, no punishment. The Steelers team caught buying 150 grand worth of HGH - no punishment. All those things gave competitive advantages. Yet, no punishments.

People wanna say the Pats were cheaters? Knock yourselves out. Like I give a ****. Really.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

Ratings:
    +3
    If the Steelers win tomorrow, the team of the decade argument will be about the Patriots and Steelers. The Patriot fans just hate it that they'll always have an * next to theirs by most fans outside of New England.