State of the Packers

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2010, we had a very talented roster that played well at the right time. The next few years we had too many holes to win it all. I think it was a combo of losing some really good players (Collins, Woodson, Driver), a couple rough drafts, and having to dish out big contacts to Rodgers and Clay.

As of now, we are a top 2 NFC team, top 3 in the NFL IMO, we have our QB locked up, we have about $30 million in cap room, a young roster, and TT is currently on fire in the draft.

Our roster has nowhere to go but up. (Barring severe injuries)

In comparison, the Seahawks will have some work to do to keep everyone there, especially after paying Wilson. I see them slipping slightly like we did after 2010.

The bottom line is the Packers will be set up in great shape to win another title. They'll have as good if not better shot at it than any team in the league and our best shot since 2010. The Packers' future is bright.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I'm biased of course, but I feel very good about things in Packerland. So much so that even that crushing loss in the NFC championship game seems much easier to swallow given my confidence in the current roster as well as knowing the decisions TT/MM and Co. have been making, and will continue to make are setting us up for many more shots at a Super Bowl.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think we will be elite no matter what happens in FA, I think this could be the best team in the league talent wise if we resign our 2 big free agents

D

Deleted member 6794

I take the same approach as every offseason and wait for an overall judgement of our and other teams rosters at least until after the draft.

There's no denying that the Packers are one of the most talented teams in the league though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wisconsin. Do I win?

Seriously, I have at least as good a feeling about the Packers chances to win it all in 2015 as I did n 2014, maybe even better. I have confidence that three of their 4 top FA will be back (Bulaga, Cobb, William/House) I feel that last years powerhouse team (Seahawks) has been proven to not be unbeatable and I don't think any other team in the NFL has taken over their spot (perceived as unbeatable) If Ted can have another draft that produces like his last two, which may be against the odds, and if he can make another hit in FA like he did last year (Peppers and Guion) which may also be against the odds, coupled with the moves we made inthe off season I see no reason why we shouldn't be in at least the same position we were in in 2014 namely playing in the NFC championship game for a chance to go to the SB. Hopefully the results are different in 2015 but if we can be back there I will consider it a successful season and I see no reason why we can't.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we are in terrific shape with about 18 core players signed through the 2016 season. I expect to see notable changes to the starting lineup in 2017 although that may not necessarily be a bad thing.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7:1 here at most VEGAS books right behind Seattle at 6:1. One book had GB favored @ 5:1. My kids and grandkids are each getting a $10 Packer ticket for their birthdays. I also put $10 on Indy at 11:1. Talk about a team that could use an upgrade @ RB! Actually I think a GB /Indy SB is not unlikely!

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nature of the game is that we will definitely make the play offs and barring injury win the division.

After that there have been a lot of false dawns.

Positive? Yeah, but just always carry a nagging doubt.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nature of the game is that we will definitely make the play offs and barring injury win the division.

After that there have been a lot of false dawns.

Positive? Yeah, but just always carry a nagging doubt.

I don't know if I would call it a nagging doubt, I would probably go with positively optimistic with a touch of pessimistic realism.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt- at least on paper going into the off season- this is a team on the short list of legit Super Bowl contenders.
What's needed to make that a reality?
- Another season of good luck on the injury front
-Strengthen the middle of the defense; NT and ILB.
-Keeping Cobb and Bulaga.
- Young guys- such as Clinton-Dix and Adams- taking the 'next step'.
Mentally, I get the feeling that the team is responding to the meltdown in the NFC title game in a positive way, not like a team emotionally shattered. If they continue being proactive and aggressive the rest of the off season, I'd say there's a good chance of the Lombardi trophy coming home next Febuary.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2010, we had a very talented roster that played well at the right time. The next few years we had too many holes to win it all. I think it was a combo of losing some really good players (Collins, Woodson, Driver), a couple rough drafts, and having to dish out big contacts to Rodgers and Clay.

As of now, we are a top 2 NFC team, top 3 in the NFL IMO, we have our QB locked up, we have about $30 million in cap room, a young roster, and TT is currently on fire in the draft.

Our roster has nowhere to go but up. (Barring severe injuries)

In comparison, the Seahawks will have some work to do to keep everyone there, especially after paying Wilson. I see them slipping slightly like we did after 2010.

The bottom line is the Packers will be set up in great shape to win another title. They'll have as good if not better shot at it than any team in the league and our best shot since 2010. The Packers' future is bright.

The Patriots win their division every year because they have a great quarterback. Wherever Peyton Manning goes, that team wins their division. Andrew Luck is the best quarterback in the AFC South, so the Colts win that one every year. There's a pattern there......

As long as Aaron Rodgers is healthy and playing at a high level, the Packers will dominate the NFC North, because he's the best in the game. Our offensive line was solid (and healthy) last year, and #12 has plenty of weapons to play with. Adding JP & Ha-Ha improved the defense last year, and if they fix ILB and stay healthy, I don't see any glaring weaknesses on this team. I'm optimistic.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots win their division every year because they have a great quarterback. Wherever Peyton Manning goes, that team wins their division. Andrew Luck is the best quarterback in the AFC South, so the Colts win that one every year. There's a pattern there......

As long as Aaron Rodgers is healthy and playing at a high level, the Packers will dominate the NFC North, because he's the best in the game. Our offensive line was solid (and healthy) last year, and #12 has plenty of weapons to play with. Adding JP & Ha-Ha improved the defense last year, and if they fix ILB and stay healthy, I don't see any glaring weaknesses on this team. I'm optimistic.

I agree with most of your post and I´m optimistic about the Packers chances to be a contender in 2015 but depending on how free agency works out it´s possible Rodgers won´t have a ton of weapons at his disposal next season.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, all we can do is hope TT continues to find guys in the draft and maybe FA near the end. We have the Offense sorted, hopefuflly with MM taking a more general approach to coaching as well we can put it all together.

Imagine the playoffs running through Lambeau next year?

Scary ****

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of your post and I´m optimistic about the Packers chances to be a contender in 2015 but depending on how free agency works out it´s possible Rodgers won´t have a ton of weapons at his disposal next season.
If we do lose Cobb you've got to think TT will dabble in FA a bit. At least to provide the slot receiver we need in this offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed, all we can do is hope TT continues to find guys in the draft and maybe FA near the end. We have the Offense sorted, hopefuflly with MM taking a more general approach to coaching as well we can put it all together.

Imagine the playoffs running through Lambeau next year?

Scary ****

There's still some days left before the start of free agency but it's possible the Packers will lose two key components of their offense in Cobb and Bulaga.

As long as Rodgers is our QB we'll still have a prolific offense but those positions would have to be addressed.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's still some days left before the start of free agency but it's possible the Packers will lose two key components of their offense in Cobb and Bulaga.

As long as Rodgers is our QB we'll still have a prolific offense but those positions would have to be addressed.

There has been nothing on Bulaga that I've seen. I don't know if that's good or bad lol

D

Deleted member 6794

There has been nothing on Bulaga that I've seen. I don't know if that's good or bad lol

As long as there's no report about the Packers having re-signed him I take no news as bad ones.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is 7 and 6 in the playoffs, 7 and 5 with Rogers; and a losing record other than for the Championship year (not to minimize a Championship). It has to be better. It will disturb me forever the opportunity thrown away this past season. Look at Marino, losing the Championship his first season, and never getting another chance.

D

Deleted member 6794

MM is 7 and 6 in the playoffs, 7 and 5 with Rogers; and a losing record other than for the Championship year (not to minimize a Championship). It has to be better. It will disturb me forever the opportunity thrown away this past season. Look at Marino, losing the Championship his first season, and never getting another chance.

I'm still baffled why anyone would even suggest to take the Super Bowl win out of the consideration when talking about McCarthy's or Rodgers' playoff record.

Guess what, if you ignore all of their losses they're perfect in the postseason.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still baffled why anyone would even suggest to take the Super Bowl win out of the consideration when talking about McCarthy's or Rodgers' playoff record.

Guess what, if you ignore all of their losses they're perfect in the postseason.

The reason people do that is because so many people want to hang their hat on one miraculous season where the stars aligned perfectly to win a Superbowl. I agree you don't ignore that but it is hard to argue that other than that year, their playoff record is horrendous.

McCarthy's Overall Playoff record 7-6
Belichick's Overall Playoff record 22-9
McCarthy's Playoff Record when not winning a SB 2-5
Belichick's Playoff Record when not winning a SB 8-7
McCarthy's SB Record 1-0
Belichick's SB Record 4-2

Do you see a pattern here? Again, I agree you don't ignore the SB season but the numbers speak for themselves.

One team is built to reach and win Superbowls. One team is built to win the division and make the playoffs. Can you guess which is which?

I mean really just think about that above numbers for a moment. Packer fans act like we are the greatest organization ever, and will I will agree with that. However, we are not the greatest organization of the modern times.

The Packers do 75% of everything perfect, however the 25% that is done wrong (and I don't pretend to know what that 25% is) leads this team to an awful lot of playoff disappointment. And no, I am not happy making the playoffs and don't believe for a moment i should just be "grateful" for the Packers success and never expect and hope for more. I do expect this team to make it to more Super Bowls and win more Super Bowls. And I guarantee you every single person involved with the Packers organization outside of the fans expects the exact same thing.

So in closing, it is not that people ignore the SB season. The SB season was incredible and awesome. Everything outside of that has but nothing but heartbreak and disappointment, often in the most ridiculous fashion.

H

HardRightEdge

Team depth is weak. Strip out the free agents and it gets worse.

A good draft is imperative; I suspect the Maytag repairmen in Pro Personnel are finally earning their off season pay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick started coaching in this league in 19 freaking 75 and McCarthy wasn't even a teenager yet. You think he hasn't made some mistakes a long the way to get where he is today? McCarthy has been in the league since the early 90's. That's a couple decades worth of experience difference. I think MM is every bit as good of a coach as Belichick the only difference being Belichick has made most of his mistakes and has had 20 more years to learn from them. MM has made mistakes, his teams have made mistakes, but largely has shown the ability to grow from those experiences. I expect him to do the same going forward.

Latest posts