Starting RT question

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what is the consensus on Wagner? Besides against the Bucs. He looked fine this year and much cheaper than Bulaga.

Bahk Jenkins Lindley Turner Wagner

Why are there all these reports saying he may be cut?

Unless Lane Taylor comes back and move Turner to RT?

Do we need to draft a RT?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what is the consensus on Wagner? Besides against the Bucs. He looked fine this year and much cheaper than Bulaga.

Bahk Jenkins Lindley Turner Wagner

Why are there all these reports saying he may be cut?

Unless Lane Taylor comes back and move Turner to RT?

Do we need to draft a RT?

It is very simple, fiscally makes sound logic. Wagner wasn't overwhelmingly good, nor was he overwhelmingly terrible either. However, fiscally we are way in the red as we sit right now before even reaching a full 2021 roster. Preston, Kirksey, Lowry, Wagner - are 4 of the guys that general concensus agrees we either have someone in toe to replace their role or should be able to draft/one year stop gap their positions.

Burks
Funchess
Turner
Amos

All are a few more names with cash savings vs what they provide that could cause a cut as well (Burks for me is a definite)

As for the drafting of a RT, OL is a need without question in the draft, and honestly our staff does show solid ability to draft. A lot of how much equity spent that exactly is would depend what does the staff feel Simon Stepaniak (Rookie in 2020), Yosh Nijman and Jake Hanson (Rookie in 2020) can provide as well. Stepaniak is a brute ox of a young man, and could put pressure for depth at the guard spots...while Yosh came in a VERY raw Tackle prospect that continues to grow but hasn't exploded onto the scene demanding gameday playtime - of note he is the ONLY tackle listed that isn't Bahk or Wagner presently. Turner is on roster as the only G/T.

No doubt we are drafting OL in the draft, the question is not if - it is just how many. 2 is my prediction

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner is a key imho. I see him as quite a good R tackle and not so good anywhere else on the line. Put him there and leave him there. I just don't think Wagner can stand up against the better competition. I would hate to see him do well against lesser competition only to get beat in the big games. So we need a back-up tackle.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner is a key imho. I see him as quite a good R tackle and not so good anywhere else on the line. Put him there and leave him there. I just don't think Wagner can stand up against the better competition. I would hate to see him do well against lesser competition only to get beat in the big games. So we need a back-up tackle.

I think the only scenario you cut Wagner and Turner is if the plan is Jenkins to RT and you believe Runyon can 100% handle a Guard position out the gate in 2021. Part of me however, thinks Jenkins may be considered for Center depending if staff doesn't think Hanson is ready.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some answers are obvious and probably rhetorical, but i digress

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you make a thread every time a thought pops into your head?

Yes...and I'm just happy a mod caught him just literally typing "bump" with no thought on threads earlier today LOL My email inbox blew up with annoying alerts.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes...and I'm just happy a mod caught him just literally typing "bump" with no thought on threads earlier today LOL My email inbox blew up with annoying alerts.

Oh I turned all those alerts off long ago. I hate those.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the only scenario you cut Wagner and Turner is if the plan is Jenkins to RT and you believe Runyon can 100% handle a Guard position out the gate in 2021. Part of me however, thinks Jenkins may be considered for Center depending if staff doesn't think Hanson is ready.
I just don’t see the Packers going into next season without Bakhtiari, Linsely, Wagner and Turner on the roster. No team in the history of the league could possibly successfully absorb those type of losses all at once and expect to have a successful offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don’t see the Packers going into next season without Bakhtiari, Linsely, Wagner and Turner on the roster. No team in the history of the league could possibly successfully absorb those type of losses all at once and expect to have a successful offense.

Hang on, where did I state Bahk was up for debate?

Turner and Amos both are only emergency cuts for fiscal reasons if it is that or not hitting cap. I don't envision our 2021 roster not including them both personally - but will always point out all scenarios that are feasible to a point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards no on Linsley, just because of age, wear and tear and he's likely going to cost some bucks we don't have a lot of. I'd think if they were going to re-sign, he would have been, at this point he's a FA and someone is going to pay him.

Now maybe GB was waiting to see how he held up to finish the season before making a serious offer, but i tend to think he's going to get his next contract from somewhere else. now if they market for him isn't good, I could definitely see him back, but it's not my expectation.

I think Turner is definitely on the team. While he's not my favorite, he's serviceable at RT and guard. Wagner needs to be replaced. Plain and simple. I realize he helps us bridge the time until BahkT gets back, but I've seen guys fresh off the boat play as well as he did that last game, i'm willing to try and find a young guy to take his spot. I can't imagine it would be much worse.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hang on, where did I state Bahk was up for debate?

Turner and Amos both are only emergency cuts for fiscal reasons if it is that or not hitting cap. I don't envision our 2021 roster not including them both personally - but will always point out all scenarios that are feasible to a point.
I’d be surprised if Bakhtiari is ready to play before the middle of October.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont even know how bad the injury was.. Was it just a regular acl? Mcl OK?

I think these guys may be able to come back sooner, not like he's gotta cut and change direction like some of the other positions. September may be realistic. Probably not much practice though by that time, so maybe they hold him out till Oct to get him into football shape.

OL and CB will be needs in the draft. May not get the WR we all want.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you seem to be forgetting how seamless the transition was to a team without marshall newhouse

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See I don't get the Linsley hate.... do we have a C in the wings... This isn't Frank Winters to Scott Wells here

Also when we went with Linsley over JC Tretter, I was under the impression the picked guy (Linsley) would be here until we find a sure replacement at C?

Elgtin Jenkins should stay at LG, he's an All Pro there ....

Turner's versatilty is great, but so do we put Lane Taylor or one of the 2020 picks at RG??

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See I don't get the Linsley hate.... do we have a C in the wings... This isn't Frank Winters to Scott Wells here

Also when we went with Linsley over JC Tretter, I was under the impression the picked guy (Linsley) would be here until we find a sure replacement at C?

Elgtin Jenkins should stay at LG, he's an All Pro there ....

Turner's versatilty is great, but so do we put Lane Taylor or one of the 2020 picks at RG??

Lane Taylor is presently not under contract for 2021, same as Linsley.

To an extent yes this team is set up arguably quite well for a replacement to Linsley:

Lucas Patrick served as the center during Linsley's injuries seasons ago, and was given an extension - personally I prefer him there compared to his play of late elsewhere.

Jake Hanson, drafted in 2020, is a center that has the tools and tape illustrating a chance to challenge for the role in 2021 with Linsley possibly not coming back. Some here remember I pegged Hanson as a Day 3 future center pick for us, very low risk type guy that will be in the mix.

Jenkins - I mean the dude can and has done it all....some might argue with Runyon, Patrick (if not center) and possibly Simon Stepniak healthy plus possibly another iOL draftee this year we could put Jenkins at Center and have guards ready.

Right Tackle is the bigger issue IMO, and Tackle into the future...Wagner needs cut - not worth his tag. Turner can do it, and Bahk hopefully will be 100% when healed but no one knows.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the case for linsley vs trettter was also about money. Linsley was cheap, Tretter was a FA that showed he could play tackle in a pinch too. he was often injured for us, so we stuck with Linsley.

Now Linsley has battled some injuries the past couple seasons and he's not coming cheaply. it's not hate, it's economics.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing is Linsley and Tretter BOTH proved to be very good when they were healthy and played...

I don't know... I"m not comfortable with someone like Lucas Patrick or a rookie type at starting C

Members online

Latest posts