Sporting News Executive of the Year: Ted Thompson

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
To hold winning the Superbowl as the only benchmark as to if he is any good, then there are MANY poor GMs in the league. As a GM it is his job to put together a team CAPABLE of winning the superbowl. weather it happens has too many components to hold him accountable only by that standard.

Agreed! .. But we have one winning season with his teams at helm, does the future look promising, hell yes it does. I am greedy, I want more.

Pack93z

Reaction score
the gloating is only in relation to the idea that was passed around up until and including the beginning of this year, was that TT had no Idea what he was doing and the sooner we fire him the better. Obviously, he has far surpassed any of our expectations to this point.

Don't see any or many of them here.. so why continue, correct?

DH - Banned
Pyle - Banned
Pack66 - Banned
Fuzzy Wuzzy - Banned

I am sure I am missing some.. but kind of makes the gloating pointless correct?

Phil and Sweet Banned for good measure.. :p

Pack93z

Reaction score
A JSonline blog post on the topic.. here is to walking in Pioli's footsteps...

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/03/25/award-the-kiss-of-death-for-thompson.aspx

Award a bad omen for Thompson?
By Greg A. Bedard
Tuesday, Mar 25 2008, 04:38 PM
Green Bay - Packers general manager Ted Thompson might not want to pick up his Sporting News NFL Executive of the Year Award this week at the owners' meetings in Palm Beach. The previous winners, on the whole, haven't fared too well after snatching up their hardware.

Of the 13 previous winners, dating back to the advent of the salary cap in 1994, only two went as far or further in the playoffs the year after they won the award (Bill Polian with Carolina in 1996 and Scott Pioli in 2005). And we're not talking about a bunch of Super Bowl winners, either. Only four times in those 13 years did the executives win the Lombardi Trophy.

You'll see most of the carnage in the following chart, but here are the lowlights (Pioli's two wins in 2004 and '05 are counted separately):

- While only one of the Execs of the Year did not make the playoffs when they won the award (Polian in 1995), 6 of the 13 winners missed the playoffs entirely the year after they won the award, including the last two, Art Rooney II of the Steelers and Mickey Loomis of the Saints;

- Only 2 of the 13 advanced at least to the conference championship game the year after;

- Winning percentage of the teams when their GM won the award: 70.5%. The following year: 56.9%. The latter includes the Patriots' 14-2 repeat in 2004;

- Three previous winners (Carmen Policy, Jeff Diamond and Randy Mueller) are out of football at the moment;

- Only four still have the same job with the same team. Dan Rooney of the Steelers isn't as involved with the day-to-day operations.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I promised to stay clear of this thread.. I have to say..

Couldn't agree more, personally I was a wait an see, there were certain moves I disagreed with and alot I agreed with.

But to "gloat" over and over again is about as tiring as the TT hating crap.

And the higher esteem ********.. really.. if I put down what I really want to say.. I will definately get banned.. but it might be worth it, honestly. Boy do I hate that cocky *** crap..

You know what the gloating reminds me of?

It reminds me of those spouses that I hope none of you are married to, the ones who bring up some mistake you made 10 f***** years ago, over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Could we possibly go one month without this crap?

Moderators - please lock this thread before it gets out of hand.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i only gloat to help others.

now when another question of Packer concern comes up. my opinion along with trom, dakota, porky and warhawk and a few others should be held in higher esteem because we were so so so so so so right. see so it really helps you.

next time you (the humble packerforum.com enthusiast) have a question about the future or present day Packer organization... you can come to us for a solid unbiased opinion. an opinion you can be confident to hold yourself and not be made a fool.

i only gloat, because i care.

Oh God. Not this again.

Keep in mind, I was RIGHT about Brett Favre. Half the forum said he should have retired in '07. He turned out to be the 2nd best QB in the NFL in '07.

Should we bring that up again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again?

I'd rather not. Let it rest.

Let's give TT his due without the "I told you so" crap.

Congratulations TT. You've done a fine job. Now, let's win some SBs.

BINGO. You were right there. Brett should not have retired after 07.

I sure was wrong about that.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i only gloat to help others.

now when another question of Packer concern comes up. my opinion along with trom, dakota, porky and warhawk and a few others should be held in higher esteem because we were so so so so so so right. see so it really helps you.

next time you (the humble packerforum.com enthusiast) have a question about the future or present day Packer organization... you can come to us for a solid unbiased opinion. an opinion you can be confident to hold yourself and not be made a fool.

i only gloat, because i care.

I could really care less about that stuff.

I think those who try to spin things there way had this coming to them. People who didn't do anything wrong shouldn't care less by this gloating. By wrong I mean getting personal with other members. Chances are if the gloating is bothering you then your guilty of something.

The people who disagreed with TT for his policies and didn't attack other members I have no problem with. Those shouldn't feel down or bad about anything. In fact they should feel happy they were wrong. I was wrong about Mike McCarthy. I'm happy about that.

Members online

Latest posts