Sporting News Executive of the Year: Ted Thompson

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391215

Told that Sporting News had selected Ted Thompson as its George Young NFL Executive of the Year, Ron Wolf was not surprised.

"If I had told you before the season that the Packers would go 13-3 and make it to the NFC title game, you would've sent me to the loony bin," says Wolf, the Packers' former general manager who hired Thompson in 1992 as assistant director of pro personnel. "Ted understands every aspect of how an organization works. That's why he was able to put together a winning team so quickly."

Since rejoining the Packers as general manager in 2005 after a stint in Seattle, Thompson has blended the right mix of players. He has kept productive veterans such as end Aaron Kampman, wide receiver Donald Driver and offensive tackle Chad Clifton while acquiring such players as linebacker A.J. Hawk, cornerback Charles Woodson, running back Ryan Grant, tight end Donald Lee and wide receivers Greg Jennings and James Jones. Thompson also hired Mike McCarthy, who won a division championship in only his second season as a coach.

"Ted rebuilt the Packers quickly and efficiently with expert drafting and roster management and selected the right coach at the right time," says Rams G.M. Jay Zygmunt.

NFL Executive: Top vote-getters
19 Packers G.M. Ted Thompson
9 Giants G.M. Jerry Reese
8 Patriots VP of player personnel Scott Pioli
3 Jaguars VP of player personnel James Harris
2 Cowboys owner Jerry Jones
Seven others received one vote
The George Young NFL Executive of the Year was determined through voting by 48 NFL executives.

Thompson displayed that same eye for talent when he was the Seahawks' vice president of football operations from 2000 through 2004. Nine of Seattle's starters in Super Bowl 40 were drafted by Thompson.

The Packers face another challenge this offseason with the retirement of Brett Favre, but Thompson began preparations for the post-Favre era in 2005 when he drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick.

"I'm sure the Packers had other needs at that point, but Ted saw the need for a young quarterback, and now that pick has a lot greater impact than it did at the time," says Wolf. "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands."

"The award, given by The Sporting News, is decided in a vote of general managers and other team executives. A total of 48 votes were cast and Thompson received 19. The second place finisher was the New York Giants' Jerry Reese, who had nine. Ten other executives received at least one vote each."

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, it's officially time to gloat over the anti-TT people. I know I will.

:gloat gloat gloat:

/gloat

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
First I would like offer my congrats to a much deserved award for a job well done.. However..

By the way, it's officially time to gloat over the anti-TT people. I know I will.

/gloat

Apparently I missed the trophy presentation, Superbowl parade and all the other accolades being showered upon Green Bay after the Super Bowl win..

Great Season no doubt, but so far no more successful at landing a championship than the last GM.

Now don't think I am pissing all over TT's accomplishments, because I am not, the foundation for a solid long term team is here, but it is a little early to be hoisting him up on the ring of fame yet. At least IMO.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

/gloat

Thankfully, most of them are gone from this site. I'm glad they were gone before Favre retired. It would've been insufferable listening to Pack 66, dhpacker, and fuzznuts telling us over and over that Thompson drove Favre out of Green Bay.

I think Pack93z makes a valid point about it being too early to be sure that Thompson is doing a good job. But so far so good.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't know enough about the managment to say anything bad about Ted early on. I would feel foolish right about now.

Congrats to Ted.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First I would like offer my congrats to a much deserved award for a job well done.. However..

MassPackersFan said:

/gloat

Apparently I missed the trophy presentation, Superbowl parade and all the other accolades being showered upon Green Bay after the Super Bowl win..

Great Season no doubt, but so far no more successful at landing a championship than the last GM.

Now don't think I am pissing all over TT's accomplishments, because I am not, the foundation for a solid long term team is here, but it is a little early to be hoisting him up on the ring of fame yet. At least IMO.

I may be wrong. I often am.

But I think Sporting News had selected Ted Thompson as its George Young NFL Executive of the Year.

Now, I am not a smart guy, and you can correct me if I am wrong...

However, I think that he won the award for being "THE NFL EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR. As in "2007." As in the "Last 366 Days, it being a leap year."

This award he earned had nothing to do with the fact he had not won a Super Bowl Yet.

I will just congratulate him.

The Fact Is... "YOU ARE PISSING ALL OVER T.T.s ACCOMPLISHMENT" even though you state you are not. You are pissing all over it, by making points about his failures or NON- Accomplishments in a thread that was about the award he won this year and for this year.

Who goes to an award dinner and yells out "Hey... The Guy Before You Did More Than You Did?"

Who goes to a college graduation ceremony and starts talking about how his older brother has accomplished more than he did?

You are pissing on it, because this award he won has nothing to do with bringing a Super Bowl To Green Bay, and being better than "THE LAST G.M."

I am tired.... I need not even explain the award he won, why he won it, and more importantly who was involved in voting for this award he won.

Night People.

I am getting a Packer Forum "T.T. Is NO Good" headache again.

I thought the headaches went away.... But they keep coming back.

Edit... I thought of something else as I got up to take another Advil.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I may be wrong. I often am.

But I think Sporting News had selected Ted Thompson as its George Young NFL Executive of the Year.

Now, I am not a smart guy, and you can correct me if I am wrong...

However, I think that he won the award for being "THE NFL EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR. As in "2007." As in the "Last 366 Days, it being a leap year."

This award he earned had nothing to do with the fact he had not won a Super Bowl Yet.

I will just congratulate him.

The Fact Is... "YOU ARE PISSING ALL OVER T.T.s ACCOMPLISHMENT" even though you state you are not. You are pissing all over it, by making points about his failures or NON- Accomplishments in a thread that was about the award he won this year and for this year.

Who goes to an award dinner and yells out "Hey... The Guy Before You Did More Than You Did?"

Who goes to a college graduation ceremony and starts talking about how his older brother has accomplished more than he did?

You are pissing on it, because this award he won has nothing to do with bringing a Super Bowl To Green Bay, and being better than "THE LAST G.M."

I am tired.... I need not even explain the award he won, why he won it, and more importantly who was involved in voting for this award he won.

Night People.

I am getting a Packer Forum "T.T. Is NO Good" headache again.

I thought the headaches went away.... But they keep coming back.

Edit... I thought of something else as I got up to take another Advil.

Let me try to clear up my point, and that will be the last time I post in this said thread. I applaud the job that TT has done in his time in Green Bay and his award is much deserved, sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

However when someone steps in and feels the need to "gloat" about the fact the they were right and other were wrong, yes I will beat down the notion that he has accomplished the end result that is a championship.

Maybe my tactic and position of my post was incorrect, and if that is the only way it was recieved then I am sorry. But I don't see the need for a post gloating only to start another ***** thread. But alas apparently I laid out my point poorly and started it anyway.

Again.. Congrats on a much deserved award and may many more follow, I would be the first to shake his hand on a job well done. But if gloating is part of the process, then we better start a scorecard and nail those that are incorrect in their opinions.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

/gloat

Thankfully, most of them are gone from this site. I'm glad they were gone before Favre retired. It would've been insufferable listening to Pack 66, dhpacker, and fuzznuts telling us over and over that Thompson drove Favre out of Green Bay.
I think Pack93z makes a valid point about it being too early to be sure that Thompson is doing a good job. But so far so good.

I couldn't agree more...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MassPackersFan said:

/gloat

Not that I'm going to gloat but........

I was told something nasty for defending TT on the forum once before by someone who is now banned but none the less he had a lot of backers who are still around. I certainly understand where some people are coming from when they see the success of this season and Thompson being named Executive of the Year. A little vindication is nice to see.

I thought TT or Jerry Reese would've been deserving selections for the award. Hard to give it to Reese because he was only in New York for one year and did inherit a team who had been in the playoffs the last two seasons including the 2005 NFC East Champions. I'm just glad Pioli didn't win it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT got the award because his actions earned it. I think the people that voted saw what he has done so far with what was here when he started his job here. His actions (or inactions in some cases) has built a solid foundation for our young team. Will it end up with a SB win? I'm not "Miss Cleo" so i don't know. But we are moving in the right direction, and it seems TT DOES know what he is doing.
Kudos!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations to Ted. He deserves to win this award. He has made many of the right moves and that includes surrounding himself with really good people. All wise executives do that.

As for criticizing Ted, let's talk about that. When he first came on board, I think most of us were willing to give him a chance. I think many were concerned about a lot of his picks in his first two drafts, but over time he has proven that his way works and that for the most part they make good picks. We'd all be stupid to just put our faith in a man who hasn't earned that faith. Over time he has proven to be a GM that has a good understanding of the league and how to compete in it. Respect is something that is earned, it's not a given. Ted has earned his respect.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations to Ted. He deserves to win this award. He has made many of the right moves and that includes surrounding himself with really good people. All wise executives do that.

As for criticizing Ted, let's talk about that. When he first came on board, I think most of us were willing to give him a chance. I think many were concerned about a lot of his picks in his first two drafts, but over time he has proven that his way works and that for the most part they make good picks. We'd all be stupid to just put our faith in a man who hasn't earned that faith. Over time he has proven to be a GM that has a good understanding of the league and how to compete in it. Respect is something that is earned, it's not a given. Ted has earned his respect.
Yup Packed.......thats what i said from the start. Let the guy prove himself either way before making a judgement on if he's good or bad.
So far, he has proven that he's a pretty smart cookie.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i only gloat to help others.

now when another question of Packer concern comes up. my opinion along with trom, dakota, porky and warhawk and a few others should be held in higher esteem because we were so so so so so so right. see so it really helps you.

next time you (the humble packerforum.com enthusiast) have a question about the future or present day Packer organization... you can come to us for a solid unbiased opinion. an opinion you can be confident to hold yourself and not be made a fool.

i only gloat, because i care.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

now when another question of Packer concern comes up. my opinion along with trom, dakota, porky and warhawk and a few others should be held in higher esteem because we were so so so so so so right. see so it really helps you.

next time you (the humble packerforum.com enthusiast) have a question about the future or present day Packer organization... you can come to us for a solid unbiased opinion. an opinion you can be confident to hold yourself and not be made a fool.

Oh God. Not this again.

Keep in mind, I was RIGHT about Brett Favre. Half the forum said he should have retired in '07. He turned out to be the 2nd best QB in the NFL in '07.

Should we bring that up again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again?

I'd rather not. Let it rest.

Let's give TT his due without the "I told you so" crap.

Congratulations TT. You've done a fine job. Now, let's win some SBs.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Packnic said:

Oh God. Not this again.

Keep in mind, I was RIGHT about Brett Favre. Half the forum said he should have retired in '07. He turned out to be the 2nd best QB in the NFL in '07.

Should we bring that up again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again?

I'd rather not. Let it rest.

Let's give TT his due without the "I told you so" crap.

Congratulations TT. You've done a fine job. Now, let's win some SBs.

Even though I promised to stay clear of this thread.. I have to say..

Couldn't agree more, personally I was a wait an see, there were certain moves I disagreed with and alot I agreed with.

But to "gloat" over and over again is about as tiring as the TT hating crap.

And the higher esteem ********.. really.. if I put down what I really want to say.. I will definately get banned.. but it might be worth it, honestly. Boy do I hate that cocky *** crap..

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the gloating is only in relation to the idea that was passed around up until and including the beginning of this year, was that TT had no Idea what he was doing and the sooner we fire him the better. Obviously, he has far surpassed any of our expectations to this point.

To hold winning the Superbowl as the only benchmark as to if he is any good, then there are MANY poor GMs in the league. As a GM it is his job to put together a team CAPABLE of winning the superbowl. weather it happens has too many components to hold him accountable only by that standard.

If we remain an elite team then he is doing his job better than most.