Speed factor

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need a deep threat. Is Davis the guy? Idk ..hasn't played since Washington. Janis? Could be, but he hardly sees the field on offense. That type of guy opens up everything else for everyone. Safeties don't fear the Packers deep anymore. Watching the Chefs tonight I'd love to have a guy like Hill in this offense. will TT take a wr in the 2nd round again? The kid from Washington would be my choice. Lol plus he's from the PAC 12 haha!!

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers do need more speed at WR. Don't know why we don't see more from Davis, he is buried pretty deep in the depth chart though and Janis can't run a route and has the case of the dropsies. If they were to draft a speed receiver in the draft it would be no sooner then round 4-5. There are more pressing needs that need to be addressed over an upgrade at receiver, like a RB. actually having a running game will open up the passing game for AR and the receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need a deep threat. Is Davis the guy? Idk ..hasn't played since Washington. Janis? Could be, but he hardly sees the field on offense. That type of guy opens up everything else for everyone. Safeties don't fear the Packers deep anymore. Watching the Chefs tonight I'd love to have a guy like Hill in this offense. will TT take a wr in the 2nd round again? The kid from Washington would be my choice. Lol plus he's from the PAC 12 haha!!

I´m pretty sure neither Davis nor Janis will ever end up being an impact deep threat for the Packers. The team might have to use an early draft pick or free agency to address that need.

If they were to draft a speed receiver in the draft it would be no sooner then round 4-5. There are more pressing needs that need to be addressed over an upgrade at receiver, like a RB. actually having a running game will open up the passing game for AR and the receivers.

The Packers need to add a speedy wide receiver next offseason but waiting until the fourth or fifth round probably won´t cut it. It´s easier to select a talented running back later in the draft. Most likely cornerback will be the position in most dire need of an upgrade.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a guy at Western Michigan that also looks like he has that long speed, that I was impressed with as well. Don't know much about him though.

H

HardRightEdge

The kid from Washington would be my choice. Lol plus he's from the PAC 12 haha!!

There is a guy at Western Michigan that also looks like he has that long speed, that I was impressed with as well. Don't know much about him though.

nfldraftscout has John Ross III of Washington ranked as the #2 WR in the 2018 draft class. They have Corey Davis of Western Michigan ranked as the #1 WR in the 2017 class ahead of Dede Westbrook.

It's awfully early, but at this point these guys appear to be out of reach even in the first round unless the Packers go in the tank over the last 4 games.

Stacey Coley of Miami is nfldraftscout's #6 ranked WR in the 2017 draft class and is the only guy in their top 40 with sub-4.4 speed (4.39). I know absolutely nothing about this guy. Of course, a lot of these college physical metrics are unofficial and often outdated...gotta wait for the Combine.

If Shields is done, a corner would make more sense in the first round. Randall is just fine as a zone corner but he does not get his head around to see the ball on deep throws which makes him vulnerable. If it were up to me I'd think hard about moving Randall to safety in 2018. It's worth noting that both Burnett and Dix will be free agents after 2017.

It's a little sad we're talking about this now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have far more needs on defense than offense this offseason. Packers currently lack any real elite threat at OLB (only going to get worse with no Peppers), don't have any real corner depth and, yet again, only Mike Daniels is an above-average dlineman (but he's REALLY good). Packers offense could use more speed but with Adams, Cobb and Jordy at WR, that's not really a position that anyone could term "lacking". It gets tiresome having to draft defense early and often every year but the Packers just haven't had much luck with high draft picks on that side of the ball.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to add a speedy wide receiver next offseason but waiting until the fourth or fifth round probably won´t cut it. It´s easier to select a talented running back later in the draft. Most likely cornerback will be the position in most dire need of an upgrade.

I think OLB might be in more need next offseason. Packers still have young, improving players at corner. Peppers probably isn't coming back next year, Matthews isn't what he once was and Perry has shown he's not that special if Matthews isn't on the field with him. The Packer's pass rush next year could be abysmal if/when Matthews isn't on the field due to injury and could be terrible even with Matthews on the field because the only threats to rush the QB are Daniels and Matthews. I'm not saying that corner will be set next year, but pass rush might be the bigger need.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might go pass rusher in the first...and corner in the second. I can see that. If Lacy is gone, and they have no plan to re sign Michael then may even have to go RB early. Lots of mock drafts have them taking Dalvin Cook at 9!! Ekkk!!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might go pass rusher in the first...and corner in the second. I can see that. If Lacy is gone, and they have no plan to re sign Michael then may even have to go RB early. Lots of mock drafts have them taking Dalvin Cook at 9!! Ekkk!!
Cook is a beast

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook is a beast

Yea I like him. But when's the last time TT ever drafted a RB in the 1st rd? Never. I just dont see it happening...maybe in the second? He will either pick some DL from the PAC 12 most of us never heard of...or take some corner from the MAC lol

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I like him. But when's the last time TT ever drafted a RB in the 1st rd? Never. I just dont see it happening...maybe in the second? He will either pick some DL from the PAC 12 most of us never heard of...or take some corner from the MAC lol
If he's somehow available in the second round, I would take him in a heartbeat. This will be a very interesting draft for us, but let's worry about that later.

#RunTheTable

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But when's the last time TT ever drafted a RB in the 1st rd?
I know you know that answer ;) Never. Brent Fullwood was the last RB that the Packers used a 1st rd (#4) pick on.....30 years ago (1987).

Looking back, I almost consider that an even worse pick then the Tony Mandarich pick. No wonder the Packers never use a #1 for a RB anymore! LOL

In looking back over the Packers draft history since then, one might even say that Dorsey Levins, was about the only back that the Packers actually hit on in the draft. With Edgar Bennett and James Starks having some success. Which doesn't say too much. I'm not closing the window on Lacy, but his time may be up.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

There's always free agency. LOL

If Shields is in fact finished and Lang is not re-signed, that opens some space for a decent player.

But I repeat, LOL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's always free agency. LOL

If Shields is in fact finished and Lang is not re-signed, that opens some space for a decent player.

But I repeat, LOL.

I'm not sure if Shields is finished, but there is no way the Packers should keep him unless he is willing to tear up his current contract and sign a new one that has a clause which ties his pay with his ability to play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think OLB might be in more need next offseason. Packers still have young, improving players at corner. Peppers probably isn't coming back next year, Matthews isn't what he once was and Perry has shown he's not that special if Matthews isn't on the field with him. The Packer's pass rush next year could be abysmal if/when Matthews isn't on the field due to injury and could be terrible even with Matthews on the field because the only threats to rush the QB are Daniels and Matthews. I'm not saying that corner will be set next year, but pass rush might be the bigger need.

It's absolutely true that with only Matthews and Fackrell currently under contract for next season the Packers have to address outside linebacker as well. It's too early to tell which position will end up being the team's top priority though.

Reaction score
So. Basically in the early rounds we need a RB,WR,TE,DE,CB,OG, OLB. Sounds like we'll need Free Agency to get this done. Listen, if I can get away with kidnapping the Lindbergh baby.. surely I can make TT disappear with no questions asked :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

It's absolutely true that with only Matthews and Fackrell currently under contract for next season the Packers have to address outside linebacker as well. It's too early to tell which position will end up being the team's top priority though.
I think it's a foregone conclusion they will try very hard to sign Perry.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure if Shields is finished, but there is no way the Packers should keep him unless he is willing to tear up his current contract and sign a new one that has a clause which ties his pay with his ability to play.
The only way you can fashion such a contract is with zero guarantees. Per game roster bonuses would go along with that thinking.

I don't see that happening. If he's cleared to play and wants to play (which I would expect), somebody else would give him some guarantees.

You can't literally tear up the contract in the sense that there is dead cap. In case anybody is wondering about Shields' 2017 numbers:

cap number: $12 mil
dead cap: $6.25 mil
cap savings: $5.75 mil

You won't find much of a perimeter corner replacement for that $5.75 mil, but with some of the money that would have gone to Lang you can get somebody decent.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Corey Davis but unfortunately I think he goes between #20-#35. A receiver that would be available in maybe round 5 is Ryan Switzer. Very interesting WR who reminds me of Edelman/Beasley type receiver. Other than that the other WRs I like would be available as UDFA. At RB McCaffrey would bring some speed to the offense. A back to look at in later rounds Kareem Hunt he has speed plus size.

H

HardRightEdge

I think Corey Davis but unfortunately I think he goes between #20-#35. A receiver that would be available in maybe round 5 is Ryan Switzer. Very interesting WR who reminds me of Edelman/Beasley type receiver. Other than that the other WRs I like would be available as UDFA. At RB McCaffrey would bring some speed to the offense. A back to look at in later rounds Kareem Hunt he has speed plus size.
Can any of them play basketball?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With out looking, other than Z elliot, what 1st rd back in last 5 or so years, have done well on a consistent basis

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only way you can fashion such a contract is with zero guarantees. Per game roster bonuses would go along with that thinking.

I don't see that happening. If he's cleared to play and wants to play (which I would expect), somebody else would give him some guarantees.

You can't literally tear up the contract in the sense that there is dead cap. In case anybody is wondering about Shields' 2017 numbers:

cap number: $12 mil
dead cap: $6.25 mil
cap savings: $5.75 mil

You won't find much of a perimeter corner replacement for that $5.75 mil, but with some of the money that would have gone to Lang you can get somebody decent.

Even if Shields gets full medical clearance to play, unless they have some kind of new "black box helmet", the $6.25 M would be the only guarantee I would offer him and let him earn the rest with incentives and per game roster bonuses, if he won't I would cut him and eat the $6.25 M. That was what I meant in regards to "tearing up his contract" and starting over. No way should the Packers stand pat and take the $12 M hit on Shields.

H

HardRightEdge

Think Davis is in dog house
Can we assume you mean Trevor Davis and not Corey Davis referenced in the above post?

And what do you suppose is the cause of this sequester?

Davis muffed that punt against Tennessee and has not been back there again. McCarthy hates that. So, Davis forfeited his special teams value.

Allison was on the game day roster last seek, got 6 offensive snaps, 1 ST snap. Since Allison is not a ST regular like Janis, I assume Allison simply beat him out on the relative merits as a receiver. Davis is slight of stature; my take is he's struggling with the physical requirements of the NFL game. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't get off press coverage or get ridden out of your route.

But you may know something more.

H

HardRightEdge

Even if Shields gets full medical clearance to play, unless they have some kind of new "black box helmet", the $6.25 M would be the only guarantee I would offer him and let him earn the rest with incentives and per game roster bonuses, if he won't I would cut him and eat the $6.25 M. That was what I meant in regards to "tearing up his contract" and starting over. No way should the Packers stand pat and take the $12 M hit on Shields.
I misspoke on the numbers. Those were from 2016. The 2017 numbers are:

cap: $12.125 mil
dead cap: $3.125 mil
cap savings:$9 mil

That's the final year of his contract.

That puts a different paint job on things. $9 mil would go a long way toward Wolf :eek: signing a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts