Something just struck me

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times have you heard of the defense being ahead of the offense (the most potent offense might I add) during training camp? Capers has got to be holding back...

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or
1. the defense peaked before the offense did (takes longer to get offensive timing down)
2. the offense was holding back during training camp

Per the eye test our defense looks capable enough of complimenting the offense to win another championship. Are they the baltimore ravens of 2001? no. They are a top 10 defense in the league though and will do just fine. They give up a ton of yards because other teams are always behind and throwing on them. '

I wouldn't mind spending all our draft picks next year on corners, safeties, d-linemen, and linebackers.

Reaction score
probably defensive end, can't trust mike neal to be healthy...

probably get another safety and olb so clay can have someone to take pressure off of him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind spending all our draft picks next year on corners, safeties, d-linemen, and linebackers.
That would be very un-Thompson like and a very bad idea IMO. What if a player is available at any offensive position that Thompson and company have rated as clearly the best player on their board? Not only that, but what about the interior of their OL? They don't have great depth there and IMO Scott Wells' replacement is not on the roster.

Vandermause recently wrote a piece titled "Thompson expected criticism for drafting Rodgers" Here's a quote from that article: "In the words of Harlan, this is what Thompson told him about his draft philosophy: "When we're in the draft room, my responsibility is to build the entire team. So he said, ‘If we're deep at wide receiver and say I pass up a couple of great wide receivers, and the second game of the season, we lose a couple people at that position, I'm going to be kicking myself the rest of the year that I didn't stick to my pattern and take those wide receivers.' So he said, ‘I'm going to take the top player on the board, regardless of what position he plays, because my responsibility is to build the entire football team.'"

The depth on the team and the schemes the Packers play certainly have an effect on how they slot players on their draft board and in that way IMO they aren't "pure" best-player-available drafters. While I don't think any team is, the Packers come as close as any and we've seen what that, combined with a talented scouting department and an excellent personnel evaluator at GM can do.