some positive news for pack fans

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning Tony Mandarich. OMG what a disaster. I thought he was the #1 overall pick, but my memory isn’t so great. Either way, he was the first or second player selected. In those days rookie contracts were very negotiable and I recall he held out and threatened to join pro-wrestling. That probably would have been for the best. That guy was totally juiced up on steroids in college, and when he lost that, he lost his strength and quickly became a failure.

Hawk was a #5 pick, I’m pretty sure. He played maybe a few good years but was nothing more than “a guy”.

I guess one way to forget the pain of the present is to reflect on the pain of the past. Anyway, thanks for the diversion!
mandarich was a colossal miscalculation at that pick. hawk had a solid career and was more than just a guy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mandarich was a colossal miscalculation at that pick. hawk had a solid career and was more than just a guy.
True, Hawk was good in his early years. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of CMIII. Just my opinion, but the Pack kept AJ past his “sell by” date. By that point he was just a guy, but yeah, he had some very good years in GB and he stayed healthy. Mandarin, on the other hand....... well, we don’t need to revisit that!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning Tony Mandarich. OMG what a disaster. I thought he was the #1 overall pick, but my memory isn’t so great. Either way, he was the first or second player selected. In those days rookie contracts were very negotiable and I recall he held out and threatened to join pro-wrestling. That probably would have been for the best. That guy was totally juiced up on steroids in college, and when he lost that, he lost his strength and quickly became a failure.

Hawk was a #5 pick, I’m pretty sure. He played maybe a few good years but was nothing more than “a guy”.

I guess one way to forget the pain of the present is to reflect on the pain of the past. Anyway, thanks for the diversion!

Before and after Tony - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_NFL_Draft#Round_one

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt having 3 picks in the first 50 is good. And let’s face it, we don’t have much to look forward to this season. To add to that, the draft is supposed to be heavy with edge rushers, a clear need for GB. I’d be fine if they spent the first 3 picks shoring up that position, as well as the right side of the O line. Safety is the other big area of need. And assuming there is a fair amount of cap space if CMIII, Cobb, and Perry are gone (and they aren’t producing anyway), Gluten can find some help in FA as well. I’m encouraged by the way the team played against the Rams, the Vikings, and even the Pats. I have no clue why they lost to AZ though, or why they seem to always play down to the level of lesser teams.

Heck, it could easily be 3 of the top 40 or even better. I know in the past I had said that I wouldn't mind using our pick and the Saints pick to move up in the first but the way it may shake out I'm changing my mind. I was thinking if we could change two picks in the 20s for maybe around #10 then go for it but if we have a top 10 pick and another first rounder and a top 10 pick in round 2 I would much rather stand pat and take those 3 players. That might change if Nick Bosa would somehow drop to a point where giving up the Saints pick meant he was obtainable but I'd still like to see at least 2 picks in the top 40

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mandarich fooled everyone. He was one of the first PED players we know of. PEDs were not fully understood by the NFL. When he stopped taking them in the NFL, he lost his physical skills as well as the rhoid rage. Dealing with it, he started drinking. And the downward spiral increased.

He was the #2 overall pick behind Aikman. The most painful part is that Barry Sanders, deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas were the next 3 picks.

Members online

Latest posts