SO.............

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd feel more comfortable also. And yes it's a gamble. My posts however where in response to all the chicken littles claiming there's holes all over the team that NEEDED to be addressed in FA

I agree that outside linebacker is still in need of an upgrade as well. I wouldn't mind improving the defensive line and inside linebacker either. But yeah, we're set at safety as long as Burnett and Clinton-Dix stay healthy.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Calling a defense mediocre is a FAR cry from saying the D is littered with holes everywhere
If mediocre is okay with you, then to each his own.

But to me, a unit that is mediocre as a whole seems to imply that there quite a few holes. You can use whatever word you want to, bottom line though is that this defensive unit as correctly constructed is in big, big trouble for next season if improvements aren't made. There's no way that Thompson can make 'blah' moves and expect for this defense to compete on a high level next year.

For a unit that was abysmal for most of the 2016 season, it's unrealistic to suggest throwing pixie dust on top of it and expect them to magically be so much better than before.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If mediocre is okay with you, then to each his own.

But to me, a unit that is mediocre as a whole seems to imply that there quite a few holes. You can use whatever word you want to, bottom line though is that this defensive unit as correctly constructed is in big, big trouble for next season if improvements aren't made. There's no way that Thompson can make 'blah' moves and expect for this defense to compete on a high level next year.

For a unit that was abysmal for most of the 2016 season, it's unrealistic to suggest throwing pixie dust on top of it and expect them to magically be so much better than before.

I went through the entire defense. Need a pass rusher opposite Perry. And need CBs. Where are these holes else where? Which players are in dire need of an upgrade?

Having an entire unit decimated by injuries can have a devestating impact on the unit as a whole. Look at our offense 2 years ago.

D

Deleted member 6794

I went through the entire defense. Need a pass rusher opposite Perry. And need CBs. Where are these holes else where? Which players are in dire need of an upgrade?

As I've pointed out the only position on defense the Packers are truly well set is safety as long as Burnett and Clinton-Dix are healthy. There isn't another one I'm absolutely confident about on that side of the ball.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've pointed out the only position on defense the Packers are truly well set is safety as long as Burnett and Clinton-Dix are healthy. There isn't another one I'm absolutely confident about on that side of the ball.

And where beside OLB and CB are u saying we absolutely need to have guys replaced?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Having an entire unit decimated by injuries can have a devestating impact on the unit as a whole. Look at our offense 2 years ago.

As elsewhere, one need to stay away from absolutes and/or hyperbole in order to allow discussion. "Dire need" implies, to me, that we have Bush starting at CB. How about asking which players have shown themselves to be difference makers or, at least, give the opposition food for thought? If your contention is that folks calling for an upgrade mean that the current guys can't play in the NFL, I think you're way off base. What many of us want is a D that can be the necessary complement to AR and his supporting case.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As elsewhere, one need to stay away from absolutes and/or hyperbole in order to allow discussion. "Dire need" implies, to me, that we have Bush starting at CB. How about asking which players have shown themselves to be difference makers or, at least, give the opposition food for thought? If your contention is that folks calling for an upgrade mean that the current guys can't play in the NFL, I think you're way off base. What many of us want is a D that can be the necessary complement to AR and his supporting case.

Im not going to stay away from hyperbole when my orginal posts were in direct respose to people proclaiming the season lost allready.

I'm not arguing disagreeing with those that wanted a big splash but are reserving judgment till later in the offseason.

I'm in disagreement with the people *****ing and moaning acting like the season is over because we didn't sign a high priced FA because we NEEDED too

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So we need more pass rushers and corners? Well golly gee, those are only the two most important positions on a defense! We should be fine

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that outside linebacker is still in need of an upgrade as well. I wouldn't mind improving the defensive line and inside linebacker either. But yeah, we're set at safety as long as Burnett and Clinton-Dix stay healthy.

I agree on the OLB bit...

But as said before, and I keep stressing this.. Who would we replace Clay with? I'm assuming he would have to move him inside if that's the case(bringing in another OLB).

I say just keep him outside an
So we need more pass rushers and corners? Well golly gee, those are only the two most important positions on a defense! We should be fine

You need an "impact" ILB who can make plays (i.e. rush the passer, get sacks, get interceptions, force fumbles)

and

You need ONE solid veteran "number 1" corner

This is assuming Cook and Lang return also

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Ryan, Martinez and Thomas aren't elite players by any means they form a serviceable unit not desperately in need of an upgrade.

There's no doubt the Packers need a #1 cornerback though.

It's true that signing Bouye to a deal like that is a risky move but coukd end up bringing huge rewards.

The problem being that as of right now the Packers are relying on Randall and Rollins to bounce back in a huge way next season. None of them has proven to be capable of performing at a decent level without a veteran #1 cornerback though.

In my opinion it's extremely hard to understand why any Packers fan would be opposed to Thompson at least spending the cap savings the team received by releasing Shields on a veteran at the position.

I agree the Packers are set at most positions, in my opinion making Thompson's reluctancy to address obvious positions in need of an upgrade even more frustrating.

Let's take a look at some of the positions though.

The team has to re-sign Cook, otherwise tight end immediately is in need of improvement.

Spriggs is suited to play guard and even if the coaching staff moves Bulaga inside the line needs additional depth if Lang leaves in free agency.

With Guion being suspended for the first four games and possibly being released down the road I don't agree the Packers are fairly well set there with Daniels and Clark being the only decent starters.

There shouldn't be any doubt that cornerback and outside linebacker should be significantky improved this offseason and using only the draft to do it doesn't cut it this time around.

It's way too early to evaluate Thompson's offseason after the first day of free agency although I was hoping for himto sign sn elite cornerback. If he doesn't upgrade CB and OLB outside if thedraft though Packers fans shouldn't feel confortable about his moves though.

Morris Claiborne is most likely the most talented cornerback still available but would be a risky signing.
No way we want Morris Claiborne as our #1 corner. At least I'd pass on that.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like talks between Cook and Packers have broken off, no bueno for us. Also worried about losing Lang and watching Barclay trot on the field only to fall down every other play. Rodgers has to hate this guy IMO.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Clay and Perry are a respectable outside linebacker duo.

Fackrell could take the role Peppers left and I think could get us 4-6 sacks and an edge rush "presence"... that or Peppers comes back for a one year deal

Datone Jones is a bust but he's good for depth and can set the edge on runs so he's definitely being brought back

Jones has flashed some pass rush ability. Bear in mind that he pretty much only played OLB on first and second down and moved inside on passing downs. Not a lot of optimal opportunities for Datone, but none the less he was generating pressure consistently.

D

Deleted member 6794

And where beside OLB and CB are u saying we absolutely need to have guys replaced?

Well, there aren't that many different positions on defense and by lacking talent at two of them there's work to do to improve the unit. In addition the Packers need another starter on the defensive line next to Daniels and Clark and while the inside linebackers are serviceable I wouldn't mind an upgrade there as well.

I agree on the OLB bit...

But as said before, and I keep stressing this.. Who would we replace Clay with? I'm assuming he would have to move him inside if that's the case(bringing in another OLB).

I say just keep him outside an

The Packers don't have to move Matthews inside by adding another outside linebacker as the team currently has only three players under contract at the position.

No way we want Morris Claiborne as our #1 corner. At least I'd pass on that.

I wod have preferred the Packers to sign a different cornerback as well but unfortunately Claiborne is most likely the best one available.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now on to the much maligned defense

DL: Really fairly well set. Could use another body or two for the rotation but hardly a guy in the starting lineup where you look at it and say "wow we just need to replace that guy"

-totally disagree. Perry is just a guy and I have zero faith in his improvement. Need 2 edge rushers here and at least 2 DT's that can push the pocket...the most monstrous hole other than in our secondary.

ILB: Ryan and Martinez aren't spectacular but hardly "man we gotta replace these guys" type of players and with Mathews probably playing more inside doesn't look horrible

-Ryan and Martinez both need to pick it up or be replaced. Clay needs to be here, and not outside. Need someone who can cover a TE, along w a hole plugging run stuffer that can get to the qb if asked.

OLB: Mathews is a shell and should be playing more inside at this point. So yep we need more Pass rushers. Even after signing Perry. Problem is they're very expensibe in FA and this draft is stacked with them

-Here is where you draft and develop, need quickness and versatility. Perry is just a guy.

CB: Here's the position of concern. We need cover guys. Plain and simple. If you think that Randall and Rollins are what they were last year and that's all then yes we should've mortgage everything to get Gilmore but if you feel one or both can rebound in a simlar way to what Adams did then you can reasonably assume that they're still going to need nab a guy to man the nickle slot. As is the case with OLB this draft is filled with CB prospects. Can still definitely use a House or a Prince though to fill out the the backfield and hedge their bets. If your part of the former that now believes Randall and Rollins are just trash then still going with the 2nd and 3rd tier CBs still isn't unbelievably horrible it just puts much more pressure to hit on CBs high in the draft

-this is horrendous, they need 2 quality vets and back to the draft for other help.

Saftey: We're good to go

-Ummm....not so fast. mediocre at best. Hooha is coming around, but Burnett is middle of the road, and needs to be pushed by youth.

D Coordinator: Capers

-Yeah, no. don't think he coaches anyone up, its time for him to be gone if he cannot put talent in the position of being successful.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there aren't that many different positions on defense and by lacking talent at two of them there's work to do to improve the unit. In addition the Packers need another starter on the defensive line next to Daniels and Clark and while the inside linebackers are serviceable I wouldn't mind an upgrade there as well.

The Packers don't have to move Matthews inside by adding another outside linebacker as the team currently has only three players under contract at the position.

I wod have preferred the Packers to sign a different cornerback as well but unfortunately Claiborne is most likely the best one available.
I'd still prefer House and he would probably come cheaper

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
House played decent as the fourth cornerback on the Packers depth chart in 2014. There's no reason to believe he's capable of becoming a serviceable #1 though.

Totally agree. I was thinking about this yesterday, people saying "House was "ok" when he played in GB." Not only was that 2 seasons ago, but he wasn't being asked to cover teams #1 or #2 WR's on a consistent basis. Appears he struggled doing that at Jacksonville. I said it last week and I will say it again, we have plenty of average to below average CB's, so bodies at the position isn't the problem, talent is. I would rather see the Packers make a trade for a younger player with more upside, if that team and player is out there.

Members online

Latest posts