SO.............

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok this is my last stab at this to try and see if i can't get brandon2348 to cone around because quite frankly it's getting old. So let just go through position group to find all these "holes" that NEEDED to be addressed with a big time FA

QB: no hole here

RB: as of right now definitely will need a RB but with Montgomery in the fold and the ability to either draft a RB in the mid rounds or bring Lacy back I find it hard to put this in the desperate NEED category for FA.

WR: top 4 looks set so shouldn't really need to be looking for outside help

TE: If Cooks resigned not really a need either. A position to watch

Tackle: We're pretty set. Depth through the draft

Guard: If Lang leaves then you shuffle the line with Bulaga to guard and start Spriggs or just convert Spriggs. In any case Guard is a bad position to try and land a big fish or spend money on generally

C: Lynsley still here. Not spending for a backup

So there's the offense. One hole all together that would be worthy of necessitating getting out side help and that's only IF we lose Cook.

Now on to the much maligned defense

DL: Really fairly well set. Could use another body or two for the rotation but hardly a guy in the starting lineup where you look at it and say "wow we just need to replace that guy"

ILB: Ryan and Martinez aren't spectacular but hardly "man we gotta replace these guys" type of players and with Mathews probably playing more inside doesn't look horrible

OLB: Mathews is a shell and should be playing more inside at this point. So yep we need more Pass rushers. Even after signing Perry. Problem is they're very expensibe in FA and this draft is stacked with them

CB: Here's the position of concern. We need cover guys. Plain and simple. If you think that Randall and Rollins are what they were last year and that's all then yes we should've mortgage everything to get Gilmore but if you feel one or both can rebound in a simlar way to what Adams did then you can reasonably assume that they're still going to need nab a guy to man the nickle slot. As is the case with OLB this draft is filled with CB prospects. Can still definitely use a House or a Prince though to fill out the the backfield and hedge their bets. If your part of the former that now believes Randall and Rollins are just trash then still going with the 2nd and 3rd tier CBs still isn't unbelievably horrible it just puts much more pressure to hit on CBs high in the draft

Saftey: We're good to go

So in summary this team "filled with holes" that NEEDED to be addressed in FA with a big time, high priced player is flawed as even while our D was horrible last year it was in large part due to injuries decimating the secondary much like how our offense sucked when all of our WRs went down. Yes they need another pass rusher. Yes they need CBs. That doesn't equate to a team full of holes and once again this a draft stacked with our top two needs

(Note that's not me saying our D will be lights out if they stay healthy. Just not the train wreck in the secondary which we saw last year)

And yes I know this post will be lost on the Chicken Littles that are upset they didn't get any new, shinny, over priced toys

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment:

I'm thinking Lang and Cook both get resigned, extra money will be allocated to Adams/HaHa/Linsley next year as it SHOULD BE

I DISAGREE on ILB though... With resigning Perry, just keep Clay outside. I still think he can get 8-10 sacks a year and Perry should be good for the same, so it's better than signing a FA OLB obviously and I honestly don't trust ANY rookie 3'4 OLB that is draftable at the END OF the 1st round to make any impact immediately... so that's why I think signing HIghtower and just KEEPING Clay outside would probably help

CB: I don't like the idea of brining back House, as he's just not that good. He's a better version of Rollins and I would rather have him not play "number 1" on the team or we won't be going very far, IMHO. Prince or Revis would be GREAT I think

For DL.... Man, if Raji didn't retire I would have LOVED the rotation of Guion/Raji

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok this is my last stab at this to try and see if i can't get brandon2348 to cone around because quite frankly it's getting old. So let just go through position group to find all these "holes" that NEEDED to be addressed with a big time FA

RB: as of right now definitely will need a RB but with Montgomery in the fold and the ability to either draft a RB in the mid rounds or bring Lacy back I find it hard to put this in the desperate NEED category for FA.

Guard: If Lang leaves then you shuffle the line with Bulaga to guard and start Spriggs or just convert Spriggs. In any case Guard is a bad position to try and land a big fish or spend money on generally

So there's the offense. One hole all together that would be worthy of necessitating getting out side help and that's only IF we lose Cook.

DL: Really fairly well set. Could use another body or two for the rotation but hardly a guy in the starting lineup where you look at it and say "wow we just need to replace that guy"

ILB: Ryan and Martinez aren't spectacular but hardly "man we gotta replace these guys" type of players and with Mathews probably playing more inside doesn't look horrible

OLB: Mathews is a shell and should be playing more inside at this point. So yep we need more Pass rushers. Even after signing Perry. Problem is they're very expensibe in FA and this draft is stacked with them

CB: Here's the position of concern. We need cover guys. Plain and simple. If you think that Randle and Rollins are what they were last year and that's all then yes we should've mortgage everything to get Gilmore but if you feel one or both can rebound in a simlar way to what Adams did then you can reasonably assume that they're still going to need nab a guy to man the nickle slot. As is the case with OLB this draft is filled with CB prospects. Can still definitely use a House or a Prince though to fill out the the backfield and hedge their bets. If your part of the former that now believes Randle and Rollins are just trash then still going with the 2nd and 3rd tier CBs still isn't unbelievably horrible it just puts much more pressure to hit on CBs high in the draft

So in summary this team "filled with holes" that NEEDED to be addressed in FA with a big time, high priced player is flawed as even while our D was horrible last year it was in large part due to injuries decimating the secondary much like how our offense sucked when all of our WRs went down. Yes they need another pass rusher. Yes they need CBs. That doesn't equate to a team full of holes and once again this a draft stacked with our top two needs

(Note that's not me saying our D will be lights out if they stay healthy. Just not the train wreck in the secondary which we saw last year)

And yes I know this post will be lost on the Chicken Littles that are upset they didn't get any new, shinny, over priced toys
You're being taught a lesson in futility, i hope you learn it sooner rather than later :) You must realize that people like this have no concept of anything really other than they hate Ted and everything about him. Re-sign Perry, it's too much, idiot. Let a versatile but pretty average guy go because he's grossly overpaid, idiot. bring someone in, idiot, don't bring someone in, idiot. Until there is an all-pro at every position, Ted will always be and idiot and even if it were the case, he'd be an idiot because he didn't do it sooner.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

CB: Here's the position of concern. We need cover guys. Plain and simple. If you think that Randle and Rollins are what they were last year and that's all then yes we should've mortgage everything to get Gilmore but if you feel one or both can rebound in a simlar way to what Adams did then you can reasonably assume that they're still going to need nab a guy to man the nickle slot. As is the case with OLB this draft is filled with CB prospects. Can still definitely use a House or a Prince though to fill out the the backfield and hedge their bets. If your part of the former that now believes Randle and Rollins are just trash then still going with the 2nd and 3rd tier CBs still isn't unbelievably horrible it just puts much more pressure to hit on CBs high in the draft

With Matthews the shoulder injury was kind of a freak occurrence, it's not often you get blind sided by someone as strong and explosive as Barbre(remember the guy used to be a gunner in college, as a God damned Offensive lineman). I think Barbre managed 30+ reps at his combine and is one of 6 OTs since 1999 to run in the 4.8 in his combine. To me the real problem is that Matthews again missed four games to a hamstring injury, which also limited his effectiveness in other games and even before that he had an ankle problem. He's still a big fast strong explosive player but he just can't take the punishment outside, so either its a conditioning problem or he just can't play the position full time anymore.

At the OLB position I don't trust Perry to stay healthy, Fackrell looked good in stretches but he needed to add good weight and who knows how he'll look playing heavy. Datone Jones id definitely bring back on a prove it deal, he sets a mean edge and I think he has more pass rushing ability than he's shown.

PS. it's Randall :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well... guess it will be just one more season of the Packers being among the worst teams in the league. Woe is us.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're being taught a lesson in futility, i hope you learn it sooner rather than later :) You must realize that people like this have no concept of anything really other than they hate Ted and everything about him. Re-sign Perry, it's too much, idiot. Let a versatile but pretty average guy go because he's grossly overpaid, idiot. bring someone in, idiot, don't bring someone in, idiot. Until there is an all-pro at every position, Ted will always be and idiot and even if it were the case, he'd be an idiot because he didn't do it sooner.

Your right. I should know.

With Matthews the shoulder injury was kind of a freak occurrence, it's not often you get blind sided by someone as strong and explosive as Barbre(remember the guy used to be a gunner in college, as a God damned Offensive lineman). I think Barbre managed 30+ reps at his combine and is one of 6 OTs since 1999 to run in the 4.8 in his combine. To me the real problem is that Matthews again missed four games to a hamstring injury, which also limited his effectiveness in other games and even before that he had an ankle problem. He's still a big fast strong explosive player but he just can't take the punishment outside, so either its a conditioning problem or he just can't play the position full time anymore.

At the OLB position I don't trust Perry to stay healthy, Fackrell looked good in stretches but he needed to add good weight and who knows how he'll look playing heavy. Datone Jones id definitely bring back on a prove it deal, he sets a mean edge and I think he has more pass rushing ability than he's shown.

Knew it didn't look right but damn auto correct :)

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Clay and Perry are a respectable outside linebacker duo.

Fackrell could take the role Peppers left and I think could get us 4-6 sacks and an edge rush "presence"... that or Peppers comes back for a one year deal

Datone Jones is a bust but he's good for depth and can set the edge on runs so he's definitely being brought back

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those of you who are optimistic I applaud you, but for those like myself who's eyes were bleeding tears watching Randall and Gunter and our absent pass rush allow Dak and Ryan to pick us apart mercilessly are aware that our secondary and pass rush need SERIOUS help. The Patriots won the Super Bowl and even they, went out and made a splash to upgrade a position in which they were already much better off than we are because they understand that elite players win championships. We don't have a single stable cornerback and not a single impact linebacker outside of Perry and it was very clear and evident in the second half against Dallas and the embarrassing loss in Atlanta.

Our offense is elite with legendary 12 taking snaps, yes, and he will lead us into the playoffs again I have no doubt, but it won't matter when our helpless defense gets decimated and 12 is on the sideline helplessly watching the misery unfold.

At this point, I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs - I'm not a Lions fan. We have arguably the greatest player ever at the most important position and he is not getting the supporting cast that he needs to get the job done - nothing else to be said.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

CB: Here's the position of concern. We need cover guys. Plain and simple. If you think that Randall and Rollins are what they were last year and that's all then yes we should've mortgage everything to get Gilmore but if you feel one or both can rebound in a simlar way to what Adams did then you can reasonably assume that they're still going to need nab a guy to man the nickle slot. As is the case with OLB this draft is filled with CB prospects. Can still definitely use a House or a Prince though to fill out the the backfield and hedge their bets. If your part of the former that now believes Randall and Rollins are just trash then still going with the 2nd and 3rd tier CBs still isn't unbelievably horrible it just puts much more pressure to hit on CBs high in the draft

I agree on offense other then the OL is getting real thin if Lang leaves. What's the chance of all the starters staying healthy? Sitton, Lang, Tretter all gone is a lot of attrition. Good chance well be seeing Barclay or a rookie by seasons end which isn't good.

Cook has to be re-signed. If he gets away it changes everything.

Not happy about Cobbs contract but I can handle that.

The defense sucks and will probably continue too. Losing Perry would of been catastrophic.

The overall problem with the defense is there slow up the middle and can't cover anyone outside along with mediocre pass rush.

Why bring Clay Matthew's back? You need to know when to get rid of guys. Not pay them 15 mill. Why not use that money to address CB on a Gilmore which is to late obviously. How come Belichick can "mortgage the franchise" every year getting guys like Revis, Talib, Bennett, Gilmore etc etc year after year? How come it's working for them?

My vision is just getting a couple impact players in free agency alone would not fix the problem all together.

Yes the draft is loaded. So on top of bringing in a game changer and a playmaker They would need to draft well which they haven't been. Bringing in a couple free agents to fill some immediate holes allows Thompson to not have to "reach all over the board" and would allow him to really draft the best available player.

This is one of the reasons the Pat's are so successful.

If you want another playoff exit or maybe worse with Rodgers not being able to repeat historic play then just keep doing what your doing

This whole thing is heading in the wrong direction.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on offense other then the OL is getting real thin if Lang leaves. What's the chance of all the starters staying healthy? Sitton, Lang, Tretter all gone is a lot of attrition. Good chance well be seeing Barclay or a rookie by seasons end which isn't good.

The defense sucks and will probably continue too. Losing Perry would of been catastrophic.

The overall problem with the defense is there slow up the middle and can't cover anyone outside along with mediocre pass rush.

Why bring Clay Matthew's back? You need to know when to get rid of guys. Not pay them 15 mill. Why not use that money to address CB on a Gilmore which is to late obviously. How come Belichick can "mortgage the franchise" every year getting guys like Revis, Talib, Bennett, Gilmore etc etc year after year? How come it's working for them?

My vision is just getting a couple impact players in free agency alone would not fix the problem all together.

Yes the draft is loaded. So on top of bringing in a game changer and a playmaker They would need to draft well which they haven't been. Bringing in a couple free agents to fill some immediate holes allows Thompson to not have to "reach all over the board" and would allow him to really draft the best available player.

If you want another playoff exit or maybe worse with Rodgers not being able to repeat historic play then just keep doing what your doing

Resign Cook and Lang.... but most likely is my guess

Sign Hightower and Revis... problems solved

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Those of you who are optimistic I applaud you, but for those like myself who's eyes were bleeding tears watching Randall and Gunter and our absent pass rush allow Dak and Ryan to pick us apart mercilessly are aware that our secondary and pass rush need SERIOUS help. The Patriots won the Super Bowl and even they, went out and made a splash to upgrade a position in which they were already much better off than we are because they understand that elite players win championships. We don't have a single stable cornerback and not a single impact linebacker outside of Perry and it was very clear and evident in the second half against Dallas and the embarrassing loss in Atlanta.

Our offense is elite with legendary 12 taking snaps, yes, and he will lead us into the playoffs again I have no doubt, but it won't matter when our helpless defense gets decimated and 12 is on the sideline helplessly watching the misery unfold.

At this point, I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs - I'm not a Lions fan. We have arguably the greatest player ever at the most important position and he is not getting the supporting cast that he needs to get the job done - nothing else to be said.

There in denial.

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very much agree with everything you said.

I'd like to add that Ted's formula of breaking the bank with elite money for non-elite players as long as they are his guys, and his unwillingness to pursue actual elite talent from other teams is not a winning formula. I think it might just be an ego thing for him. Look at how the Patriots allocate their resources - every single player receiving elite money is actually an elite player. If they are not elite and demand elite level money, they will be disposed of and a proper replacement will be found whether via free agency or the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

They really NEED an IMPACT player at ILB and a "number one" corner...

While Ryan, Martinez and Thomas aren't elite players by any means they form a serviceable unit not desperately in need of an upgrade.

There's no doubt the Packers need a #1 cornerback though.

I'm glad TT didn't pay Bouye $13 million a YEAR.. that's WAY overpaying

It's true that signing Bouye to a deal like that is a risky move but coukd end up bringing huge rewards.

Finished last because their CBs where decimated by injury all season and two young players playing prominent roles suffered sophmore slumps while also battling injuries. Just a thought.

The problem being that as of right now the Packers are relying on Randall and Rollins to bounce back in a huge way next season. None of them has proven to be capable of performing at a decent level without a veteran #1 cornerback though.

In my opinion it's extremely hard to understand why any Packers fan would be opposed to Thompson at least spending the cap savings the team received by releasing Shields on a veteran at the position.

I agree the Packers are set at most positions, in my opinion making Thompson's reluctancy to address obvious positions in need of an upgrade even more frustrating.

Let's take a look at some of the positions though.

The team has to re-sign Cook, otherwise tight end immediately is in need of improvement.

Spriggs is suited to play guard and even if the coaching staff moves Bulaga inside the line needs additional depth if Lang leaves in free agency.

With Guion being suspended for the first four games and possibly being released down the road I don't agree the Packers are fairly well set there with Daniels and Clark being the only decent starters.

There shouldn't be any doubt that cornerback and outside linebacker should be significantky improved this offseason and using only the draft to do it doesn't cut it this time around.

It's way too early to evaluate Thompson's offseason after the first day of free agency although I was hoping for himto sign sn elite cornerback. If he doesn't upgrade CB and OLB outside if thedraft though Packers fans shouldn't feel confortable about his moves though.

What CB out there is #1 material? I can't think of any left.

Morris Claiborne is most likely the most talented cornerback still available but would be a risky signing.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion it's extremely hard to understand why any Packers fan would be opposed to Thompson at least spending the cap savings the team received by releasing Shields on a veteran at the position.
Name one fan on this board OPPOSED to Ted spending $$$ on a veteran CB to replace Sam. Accepting the fact he may not does not make one opposed to it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Name one fan on this board OPPOSED to Ted spending $$$ on a veteran CB to replace Sam. Accepting the fact he may not does not make one opposed to it.

There have been several posters expressing relief about the Packers not having signed Gilmore or Bouye although it's possible their cap hits in 2017 are less than what the team saved by releasing Shields.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There have been several posters expressing relief about the Packers not having signed Gilmore or Bouye although it's possible their cap hits in 2017 are less than what the team saved by releasing Shields.

Or imagine the 2016 Packers had Shields not gone down or with a player like Gilmore or Bouye playing in GB. How would the season have changed? Hard to look at the NFCCG and say with a straight face that a #1 CB changes the outcome, but playing in GB at that time of year may not have been as favorable to the Falcons.

Let's hope that 2017 isn't a season that was "one player away" from being what we all wanted.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

So what you essentially just said is that this is a mediocre defense with little to no playmakers. Got it. :roflmao:

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with the Defense is that the D-Line aside from Daniels just flat out sucks. Still too early to judge Clark, but he looked good IMO. The linebackers on this team blow. Clay is always injured, a shell of his ped or steroid self. Peppers is UFA and who knows whether they bring him back. The insider guys are mediocre at best. Way too slow and 1 dimensional. Teams just game plan around them like they aren't even there. Our DB's are diabolical. You can try and blame it on Shields being hurt, but even if he was healthy, how good would we have done anyways? Our safeties are actually good, but while everyone else is lackluster, they look bad as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Calling a defense mediocre is a FAR cry from saying the D is littered with holes everywhere

The pass defense was significantly worse than mediocre last season. As of right now they haven't brought in any new players while losing Hyde in the secondary. That doesn't make me believe the unit has improved.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pass defense was significantly worse than mediocre last season. As of right now they haven't brought in any new players while losing Hyde in the secondary. That doesn't make me believe the unit has improved.

And hense why I stated that it's the CB position that needs work. Not all improvement needs to come from outside or the draft as if you believe either/both Randall/Rollins can bounce back in an Adams esque way that goes a long way to improving the CB position and as such your now looking at filling out the nickle and dime roles

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For those here in need of this on day two of Free Agency.......6 months prior to the start of the NFL season...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

And hense why I stated that it's the CB position that needs work. Not all improvement needs to cone from outside our the draft as if you believe either/both Randall/Rollins can bounce back in an Adams esque way that goes a long way to improving the CB position and as such your now looking at filling out the nickle and dime roles

Randall and Rollins haven't proven to be capable of performing at a decent level without a veteran #1 cornerback so far and there's no guarantee one of them will bounce back. Therefore relying on it is a risky move. I would feel more comfortable by adding a shutdown CB to the roster.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall and Rollins haven't proven to be capable of performing at a decent level without a veteran #1 cornerback so far and there's no guarantee one of them will bounce back. Therefore relying on it is a risky move. I would feel more comfortable by adding a shutdown CB to the roster.

I'd feel more comfortable also. And yes it's a gamble. My posts however where in response to all the chicken littles claiming there's holes all over the team that NEEDED to be addressed in FA

Latest posts