1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

So when did "incidental facemasking" become legal?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GreenBlood, Jan 12, 2013.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Seriously, I scoured the NFL rules and couldn't find anything ANYWHERE that allows for justification for any facemasking. As soon as that call came, I knew what was to come. I've never seen WRs allowed to openly hold as much as theirs do. It's disgusting. NFL officiating is still a joke.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Definitely a bogus call. But given what transpired right after that call, didn't really make a whole lot of difference.

3. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    We scored a TD on the same drive shortly after the play you are referencing. Besides the Packers had far greater problems than poor refereeing tonight. Absence of injured reserve players or poor officiating is NOT why we lost tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    No, it didn't. But it could have. Imagine the outrage you'd be hearing on ESPN if it had happened back in the first 3 weeks of the season. But no. They're completely mum on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +869
    No one is complaining. This is a fair question regarding that call.

I have never seen it called like that before. I think the officials made it up. Will not be surprised to see this commented on by the NFL at some point.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I would actually be completely surprised if they do. Do me a favor. If you see a statement from them on this, please post it here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    INCIDENTAL MY CHEEKS!!! His hand just happened to grab the facemask and proceeded to drag our RB down by the helmet, while his eyes stood idly by and watched the whole thing? Willis saw he had the mask and intentionally dragged Fox (Harris) down by it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    It was another entry in the "Screw the Packers Book"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,976
    Couple years old....But I think it is still in place

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/02/nfl-does-away-with-incidental-facemask-penalty/

• Like Like x 1
  10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,976
    From the Pack Card playoff game few years ago

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/8759/nfl-offers-context-of-face-mask-ruling

11. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
  12. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    The only time I've seen "intentional" facemask is when Suh does it. Such a joke call IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,976
    The felt this was how hey saw it...Right or wrong..Just like any other judgment call that cant be reviewed...

If you get your hand up there accidentally and not grab it, no penalty will be called.

We know he grabbed it...Refs didnt see it, they screwed it...

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    Had no impact on the the final result of the game IMO

15. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    THE LINE JUDGE THREW THE DAMN FLAG! The referee overruled it because he DIDN'T WANT TO CALL IT. Stop sugar-coating the obvious! Why in hell would you overrule someone who had a better look?

I've seen non-calls before, but I have NEVER seen an official overruled on a facemask.... EVER.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,976

I am not sugar coating it..You asked for a reason and I showed you a reason...So please stop trying to be an instigator..

I even said they screwed it....What more do you want from me..damn

17. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I'm talking more about motive. It was clear they were simply content to let them do it, even though one official clearly saw it for what it was. It wasn't a simple mistake.

18. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I'm a serious sports gambler and have seen enough from professional (paid) handicappers in my life to know that Tim Donaghy is not a one-of-a-kind unique guy. I believe Lance Eason is another one.

Last night, not sure, as we got some close calls, well at least one not long after that I can recall.
    That call was a suspendable offense though.
    Facemasks are facemasks. How many are intentional in the first place? Very few.
    So for that head zebra to veto it on account of it being "incidental"? That IMO is suspendable, and perhaps fireable.

19. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +835
    I have seen this happen in at least 5 games over the last few years. Didn't surprise me when I saw the reply.

20. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    So then how does the conversation go?

Line Judge throws flag.

Ref: "Hey, what's the call?"
    LJ: "Facemask."
    Ref: "I didn't see any facemasking."
    LJ: "I did. He hooked it and didn't let go. That's why I threw the flag."
    Ref: "Hmm... I'm going to allow this."

21. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,452
    I'll modify it so that you can see how the conversation might have gone...although based on your rage in this thread, I know that you'll dismiss it like everyone else's comments. However, the league encourages referees to confer and discuss to make sure that all perspectives are considered before a penalty is called:

Line Judge throws flag.

Ref: "Hey, what's the call?"
    LJ: "Facemask."
    Ref: "Did you see the runner's helmet twist, turn, or pull?"
    LJ: "From my perspective, I saw his hand on the facemask but am not sure if the helmet was pulled. I was focused on the hand."
    Ref: "From my perspective, I couldn't see the hand so I didn't throw a flag. However, I also did not see the head twist, turn or pull so we won't enforce a facemask penalty."

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    There was that non-call and MANY many many more. We had the game on at my buddies house and he has thatauto record thingy where you can rewind and pause live tv.....we had a hell of a time not throwing a fist into the damn TV......Clay matthews was held 6 times that they didn't call or non-call, and he was chop blocked 2 times that they didn't call......this game was utter BS with sh!t officials.

23. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    So let me get this straight. Having a problem with the officiating is "rage"? These clown were as bad as ANY officiating crew that took a field this year.

Sorry, I don't buy it. If they didn't see his head pulled down then are incompetent and shouldn't be officiating high school, much less anywhere else. It was the same conscious decision to ignore the obvious that they took on SF's WRs holding our DBs all game long.

24. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    There was a clear downward pull, even a little twist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. LZ13

LZ13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    You are correct. It was insane that they picked up the flag - seems the NFL should look in on this type of thing. This did not cost us anything, but 3 years back it cost us a game against AZ when it was not called.

Overall, I did not see the refs costing us this game. We had some late hits on the 49ers that were not called either. But that is not the point. If they make obviously bad calls, missed calls, or inconsistency like this, it does cost someone a game at some point.