So what's really wrong with the Packers?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) There is no leadership on this team. No one to inspire, to make the other guys work hard and want to play. We miss Reggie's enthusiasm.
2) There is no leadership from the head coach or the GM. The message was sent early when they decided to stand pat with their defense.
3) What you say doesn't mean nearly as much as what you do. Ferguson, don't tell me you're going to be a number one receiver shut up and show me.
4) Even the great Jim Bates can't make the leopard change it's spots. This is a defense seriously missing talent. The same players miss assignments, miss tackles and can't defend as last year.
5) You always play like you practice, enough said.
6) This looks like a team that has already cashed it in.
7) Game clock management won't change without a coaching change.
8) Brett has to start making the right plays instead of trying to make the great plays. To not come away with points when we're on the 20 with a future hall of famer says something about decision making. Brett make the right play and live to make another play.
9) Believe it or not coaching changes always start with the disgruntled fan.
10) Bob Harlen is as responsible for what has happened to this franchise as anyone. He is the one who allow the debacle to continue for five years. What you see now is the result of 5 years of horrible drafts. If you doubt my word, look at our defensive line and look what happened when you we lost two guard on offense. The cuboard is bare. There isn't anyone ready to step up. Harlan and Thompson let's not wait another 29 years to make the right decisions.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple. We aren't running the football. This team was built to run, and we aren't doing it. It is obvious Rossley is back to calling plays.

It will eat clock, prevent our D from being on the field, and win games (hopefully).

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you explain to me what happened to our hurry up game with 9 minutes left in the game? We ran almost 5 minutes off the clock before we went to a no huddle. Disgraceful. There is something wrong in GB. It's not just the two new guards and Walker going down. This is a team with no spark.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love seeing all the overreactions when the packers lose. Yeah they lost and it sucked and there needs to be alot of improvement. Look at the opponents running game in both games so far and you see that the packers defense has stopped it very well. The secondary is looking awful though and much of that is because of the age and experience level. We have 2 second year cornerbacks that get alot of time, a rookie undrafted free agent getting plays at linebacker, a rookie safety, and a couple of really young defensive tackles. They have great potential, they just aren't all there yet. Carroll should be starting over Thomas. Thomas blew coverages a whole lot. Also the packers don't seem to be able to defend the tight end. I don't think Ferguson had much of a chance to show anything. I don't know if he just couldn't get open or if Favre just looked at Driver and the backfield because that is who he threw it to most of the time. I agree the play calling at the end sucked. Not only did they not hurry it up enough, they kept throwing short passes. It worked and got them up the field but cost them time. There were practically no deep throws when they needed to throw it deep. Absolutely nothing can be blamed on the Offensive line except a couple of penalties. They have really stepped it up and aren't much worse off than they were last year.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find wrong is our playing is getting predictable. The opponents all know us by now. Hopefully Phil does not read this, its too long for him to read. :lol:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
What I find wrong is our playing is getting predictable. The opponents all know us by now. Hopefully Phil does not read this, its too long for him to read. :lol:
Actually I agree with that. Teams are daring Favre to beat them and he would have in the past. They are blitzing Favre and he has always been known to force one into coverage. They are helping the other team by not running the football, so you are right about them being predictable. They have some tough defensive teams to face this year and if they do not get back to mixing it up, they are going to get Favre killed before the season is over.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously underestimated the loss of Wahle and Rivera, I think the Packers did too. Klemm and Whittacker couldn't even carry their jocks. Worse, Flanagan is done as a serviceable starter and we need to get Wells in the lineup ASAP.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:
I seriously underestimated the loss of Wahle and Rivera, I think the Packers did too. Klemm and Whittacker couldn't even carry their jocks. Worse, Flanagan is done as a serviceable starter and we need to get Wells in the lineup ASAP.
I knew that loosing Wahle and Rivera was going to hurt them big time. Hard to tell if the new guys can run block because the Packers are not doing it enough. The Bears beat the Lions by pounding the ball and that opened up the passing game when it was needed. Favre is at the stage in his career that an injury is right around the corner and they better get away from expecting him to save the day on every possession.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I knew that loosing Wahle and Rivera was going to hurt them big time. Hard to tell if the new guys can run block because the Packers are not doing it enough. The Bears beat the Lions by pounding the ball and that opened up the passing game when it was needed. Favre is at the stage in his career that an injury is right around the corner and they better get away from expecting him to save the day on every possession.
Well, and that's what the Packers were doing for the last few years - pounding the ball. They haven't done it this year and haven't been able to control the games either.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm gonna take the obvious route here and say the aspect of the Packers that is wrong is they allow the other team to tack on more points then their offense does.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guards haven't been that bad, the problem has been Flanny, who still looks to be suffering from that knee injury. The guards are not as good as they were when Marco and Wahle were here, but they're not awful. Flanny is simply getting bull rushed 5 yards into the backfield and our offense is suffering because of it. If his play does not improve this weekend, it's seriously time to look at Scott Wells.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I'm gonna take the obvious route here and say the aspect of the Packers that is wrong is they allow the other team to tack on more points then their offense does.

So the problem with getting a win is that the other team scores more points? Of course that's always the case, but here we're looking at the struggles of our offense as being our main problem.

The defense has played ok. They looked aweful on 3 drives for the Browns (the 1st one and then the 2 long TD runs). I expected this as part of our growing pains -- new system and lots of young/inexperienced players. Mistakes are going to happen on defense, but we will get better.

The offense is killing us right now though. We moved the ball with ease, but continually failed to put points on the board! If we finish those long drives, then we're fine. I think we're moving in the right direction though -- better blocking by the OL, WRs getting open, moving the ball, less penalties, etc. Now we need to put it together to finish long drives.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
SlickVision said:

So the problem with getting a win is that the other team scores more points? Of course that's always the case, but here we're looking at the struggles of our offense as being our main problem.

lol

i did say i was gonna state the obvious :)

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

well here go's and it isn't pretty

They lost 2 irreplacable linemen

Flanagan is playing hurt

Teams planned to take advantage of this before the season started
they lost the top reciever

Diggs isn't playing

We lost Sharper in the off season and the young d-backs have not matured yet

Running game is down( see top 2 reasons at the top)

Mental mistakes (penalties, penalties, penalties will always kill you)

Lack of emotion

salary cap

Team could not and did not make any quality adjustments in "off" and "pre"season(see above)

3RD (count 'em 3) Defensive Coordinator in as many years

Bad drafting in last few years(too many to list)

overpaying bad free agent pick ups(see salary cap)

Offensive line(did I say offensive line yet?) Defence on field too long

No rythym on offence yet

Could there be a confidence problem. Wins can cure that

Offensive line problems

bench or lack there of

Other than that we have a Great QB
Still a Pack Fan and always will be, GO PACK GO!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehog said:

well here go's and it isn't pretty

They lost 2 irreplacable linemen

Flanagan is playing hurt

Teams planned to take advantage of this before the season started
they lost the top reciever

Diggs isn't playing

We lost Sharper in the off season and the young d-backs have not matured yet

Running game is down( see top 2 reasons at the top)

Mental mistakes (penalties, penalties, penalties will always kill you)

Lack of emotion

salary cap

Team could not and did not make any quality adjustments in "off" and "pre"season(see above)

3RD (count 'em 3) Defensive Coordinator in as many years

Bad drafting in last few years(too many to list)

overpaying bad free agent pick ups(see salary cap)

Offensive line(did I say offensive line yet?) Defence on field too long

No rythym on offence yet

Could there be a confidence problem. Wins can cure that

Offensive line problems

bench or lack there of

Other than that we have a Great QB
Still a Pack Fan and always will be, GO PACK GO!

but it's the 2005 season, half the things you list we can't do anything about now, so we have to make due...

The return of Diggs will be huge

"three (count them) three defensive coordinators in three years"...well the one we have in 2005 is Jim Bates, and, still working the kinks out but with his knowhow and (hopefully) additions of apt personell, we could have a threat of a defense in a year or two

Offensive line problems, pull Whitticker, he's going to be good in time but not now

We had some bad moves signing fa's, i believe we signed Joe Johnson after the 02-03 season, get over it

"Bench or lack thereof"...no matter who is on our bench we've gotta have our guys ready and willing to step in, all 53 of them, and get this team some W's...that falls on the coach to have all our reserves ready to play when they are needed

"We drafted bad"...that's obvious...Jamal Reynolds, et al...so what, Ted Thompson traded for a lot of draft picks this past year, brought a lot of young talent into our franchise...late round guys like Coston, Whitticker, Poppinga, Hawkins, Campbell...we have a reciever who COULD ease the loss of Javon Walker (T-Murph), we have our QB of the future in Aaron Rodgers...i like TT's knowhow, in a few years this "lack of bench" and "salary cap" BS will go away

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 Wrote: "We had some bad moves signing fa's, i believe we signed Joe Johnson after the 02-03 season, get over it

Yes I agree. Time to move on and the organization can't un-do much of that. Some of them "things" affect years(s) down the road as to cap reasons, Drafting,(money left for higher picks?), current contracts, etc...etc..,

and...QUOTE: "We drafted bad"...that's obvious...Jamal Reynolds, et al...so what, Ted Thompson traded for a lot of draft picks this past year, brought a lot of young talent into our franchise...late round guys like Coston, Whitticker, Poppinga, Hawkins, Campbell...we have a reciever who COULD ease the loss of Javon Walker (T-Murph), we have our QB of the future in Aaron Rodgers...i like TT's knowhow, in a few years this "lack of bench" and "salary cap" BS will go away"

I agree 100%. Plus he'll direct the money towards shorter earnings(in a good way), payoff on talent performing NOW!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts