So Rodgers IS the Packers?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to make another optimistic post. I know those last two touchdown drives were in garbage time, but maybe Hundley was getting just a tiny bit more comfortable out there toward the end. Maybe this will start to pay dividends in a week or two. Rome wasn't built in a day.

That said, I'm just as disgusted as anyone by how subpar this team looks without Rodgers on the field, and there's no need to even discuss the defense. If I were Ted Thompson, I would be encouraging McCarthy to replace Capers this offseason, because I would be concerned about my reputation at this point. He's been feeding this defense to the detriment of the offense for years now, and he may as well be flushing all his draft picks down the drain for all the difference it appears to be making.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to make another optimistic post. I know those last two touchdown drives were in garbage time, but maybe Hundley was getting just a tiny bit more comfortable out there toward the end. Maybe this will start to pay dividends in a week or two. Rome wasn't built in a day.

That said, I'm just as disgusted as anyone by how subpar this team looks without Rodgers on the field, and there's no need to even discuss the defense. If I were Ted Thompson, I would be encouraging McCarthy to replace Capers this offseason, because I would be concerned about my reputation at this point. He's been feeding this defense to the detriment of the offense for years now, and he may as well be flushing all his draft picks down the drain for all the difference it appears to be making.
I was proven wrong about Hundley before.
I dunno how much more of a chance I can give him.
I had such high hopes for him.
(See post #46 where I shared that.)
Yeah, he is showing that he has something but he is unable to follow through.
Or the one and only real way he can prove himself and make us happy is to win games.
Until he does that, no one can be blamed who doesn't have any faith in him.

I dunno.
I'll just take it one game at a time and really try not to have any expectations or negative feelings.
Or maybe just go ahead and throw my hands in the air and say, "It's over" and then be pleasantly proven wrong if it isn't after all.
Still a very big "If" regarding that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately Hundley being able to move the ball late in the game with the Lions mostly playing vanilla defense doesn't make me optimistic about the offense going forward for the rest of this season.

Thompson definitely deserves part of the blame for the team not being able to win without Rodgers covering up for a ton of shortcomings on the roster.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With A-Rod being out of the picture, it really shows just how god awful the team, the whole friggen team both offense AND defense just suck so bad without him.
They are being exposed for being what they are.
A lousy team.
And as long as it stays this way, we will never ever get to another Super Bowl.
Which none of us should ever expect again as long as "I'm too stubborn and set in my ways and am way too afraid of change" Coach McMoron is in charge.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced MM is more concerned with his relationship with his staff and showing loyalty than he is with winning. It took how many years of below average special teams play for him to replace Slocum? at least 3-4.l and Capers defense has been bad to below average for at least 5-7 seasons and he's still running it. So what does that tell you? I'm more than positive he's fired anywhere that's not Green Bay. Not to mention the fact that the guys pushing 80. Maybe the guy reminds him of his father and there's a sentimental connection there...that's the ONLY reason that semi makes sense of why he hasn't replaced him yet.
Here is a link to an online article I just found that backs up your statement 110%
At first I didn't think you were right.
But after reading this, I'm starting to agree with you.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...arthy-fire-dom-capers-the-answer-mason-crosby

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know its more than just Rogers being out. A reasonable game manager veteran QB would make a huge difference. Our inability to move the ball leaves our iffy defense on the field. While Hndley played a little better most of the numbers were padded in garbage time when lions were playing safe on defense as well in the lead.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know its more than just Rogers being out. A reasonable game manager veteran QB would make a huge difference. Our inability to move the ball leaves our iffy defense on the field. While Hndley played a little better most of the numbers were padded in garbage time when lions were playing safe on defense as well in the lead.
This is not an offense in which a game manager will thrive. Much of the offense was possible because of Rodgers' precision, ability to avoid the rush, improvise and make perfect throws on the run. These are not the traits of a backup QB.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly. I feel like history is repeating itself. Looking back. Maybe Favre wasn't that big selfish jerk he was portrayed to be. I feel like he was dealing with the same frustrations Rodgers is dealing with now. Ted just being incompetent and stubborn.

If I'm Rodgers. I request that if they want me back next contract. They will have to get weapons and make moves and not have him carry the entire team. Or I go play for a team that is willing to provide an offensive line and get proven players and don't settle for meritocracy.

I'll probably get flamed for being a Packers forum. But Ted and McCarthy owe Rodgers a huge thank you for keeping them employed this long.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not an offense in which a game manager will thrive. Much of the offense was possible because of Rodgers' precision, ability to avoid the rush, improvise and make perfect throws on the run. These are not the traits of a backup QB.

I was not expecting them to thrive ..... just keeping drives going and eating up time.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Yes Aaron Rodgers is the Packers and when he went down the NFL took a huge hit. The Packers have the right personell but they don’t care when #12 is not on the field. Does 2017 Davante Adams miss that catch if #12 threw the ball? Never. The entire team plays worse when #12 isn’t in the game. While the rest of the league continues to play. If rodgers is on the field, they are 7-1 right now. Looking down the stretch maybe they lose two more games this season? With 12 on the field this is a super bowl team. Without him, you legitimately see the fear in the players and coaches.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If rodgers is on the field, they are 7-1 right now. Looking down the stretch maybe they lose two more games this season? With 12 on the field this is a super bowl team. Without him, you legitimately see the fear in the players and coaches.
Not sure they're a Super Bowl team. A Super Bowl contender, okay. But most likely even with Rodgers they would end up missing the Super Bowl for the same reasons that they've missed it the last six years, and for the same reasons the team is struggling so badly right now with Rodgers out. Their performance without him makes that point all the more clear.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll probably get flamed for being a Packers forum
Why do people think they're going to get flamed for stating whatever is on their mind. Most likely we've already discussed it in one thread or another. I interpret "I'll probably get flamed" as I'm not interested in reading others opinions but here's mine.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure they're a Super Bowl team. A Super Bowl contender, okay. But most likely even with Rodgers they would end up missing the Super Bowl for the same reasons that they've missed it the last six years, and for the same reasons the team is struggling so badly right now with Rodgers out. Their performance without him makes that point all the more clear.
We see it.
Will the coaches and other player personal and Packers staff also see it?
Doubtful.
I won't expect any changes to be made in the offices during the off season.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll probably get flamed for being a Packers forum. But Ted and McCarthy owe Rodgers a huge thank you for keeping them employed this long.
Why do people think they're going to get flamed for stating whatever is on their mind. Most likely we've already discussed it in one thread or another. I interpret "I'll probably get flamed" as I'm not interested in reading others opinions but here's mine.
The other day I read on here that McCarthy should give Rodgers a foot massage.

He not only makes the players look good but the head coach as well.
There are more that are calling Capers to be fired but not so much as a change at HC.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No. My intent was more of people will disagree with my opinion and will express it. Being that it's a Packers forum.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There are more that are calling Capers to be fired but not so much as a change at HC.
Capers has had a 5 year head start. The only debate lately has been players (TT) or coaching.
No. My intent was more of people will disagree with my opinion and will express it. Being that it's a Packers forum.
That was my understanding. Just that MM finding other employment oppurtunities has been discussed already. May even be a thread or three about it. Since when is a disagreement during a debate being flamed?

D

Deleted member 6794

You know its more than just Rogers being out. A reasonable game manager veteran QB would make a huge difference.

The Packers don't have enough talent on the roster for a decent game managing quarterback to make a significant difference.

If I'm Rodgers. I request that if they want me back next contract. They will have to get weapons and make moves and not have him carry the entire team. Or I go play for a team that is willing to provide an offensive line and get proven players and don't settle for meritocracy.

The offensive line excels in pass protection as long as all starters are healthy. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case all season long.

Yes Aaron Rodgers is the Packers and when he went down the NFL took a huge hit. The Packers have the right personell but they don’t care when #12 is not on the field. Does 2017 Davante Adams miss that catch if #12 threw the ball? Never. The entire team plays worse when #12 isn’t in the game. While the rest of the league continues to play. If rodgers is on the field, they are 7-1 right now. Looking down the stretch maybe they lose two more games this season? With 12 on the field this is a super bowl team. Without him, you legitimately see the fear in the players and coaches.

The Packers have Rodgers covering up for a ton of shortcomings on the roster but definitely don't have enough talent on most other positions. The reason the team doesn't perform at a higher level without #12 is because they aren't any better.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have Rodgers covering up for a ton of shortcomings on the roster but definitely don't have enough talent on most other positions. The reason the team doesn't perform at a higher level without #12 is because they aren't any better.
This does appear to be the case. That doesn't leave Ted Thompson in a very flattering light though, does it? Unless you want to say that picking so low in the draft is the reason the roster isn't more talented.

Cvikes80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately Hundley being able to move the ball late in the game with the Lions mostly playing vanilla defense doesn't make me optimistic about the offense going forward for the rest of this season.

Thompson definitely deserves part of the blame for the team not being able to win without Rodgers covering up for a ton of shortcomings on the roster.

Hmm... I could see them dust off #4... after all he's not out of the game... He's copper fit

D

Deleted member 6794

This does appear to be the case. That doesn't leave Ted Thompson in a very flattering light though, does it? Unless you want to say that picking so low in the draft is the reason the roster isn't more talented.

While picking at the end of each round in the draft definitely makes it tougher to acquire immediate impact players Thompson definitely deserves the majority of the blame for the lack of talent on the roster.